The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray In The French Open 2011

+19
sonic_boom10
kemet
steveo77
CaledonianCraig
eirebilly
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
Magic Milamber
Liam_Main
TopoftheChops
owen10ozzy
Amazon
sportslover
yummymummy
dummy_half
MTS1
Mad for Chelsea
Solerina
legendkillar
23 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Andy Murray In The French Open 2011 - Page 6 Empty Andy Murray In The French Open 2011

Post by legendkillar Fri 20 May 2011, 10:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wow the tennis gods have decided to be kind to Andy Murray this year in Paris. Andy Murray faces french qualifier Eric Prodan, if everything goes to script Andy's 3rd round opponent could be big hitting up and coming young gun Milos Raonic and if Andy goes deep into the draw potential quarter finalist could be Roger Federer's conquerer in Monte Carlo World No.8 Jurgen Melzer. If Murray manages to make it to the semi's, the man standing in the way will be 5-time champion and King of Clay one Rafael Nadal. There is no question why Andy Murray should not be considered a favourite at Roland Garros. There are players above him as favourites, the Nadals, Federers and Djokovics and rightly so. Murray though has found a rhythm to his game on clay and has certainly had the best run on clay since becoming pro and looks like he is over his Australian Open heartache. Another important part of Andy Murray's French Open campaign is his box. Will Darren Cahill be there? That for me is a big deal because if he can work with Andy during these next 2 weeks it will be a massive boost to his campaign. It would be the first time Andy has gone through a Slam without a coach. It is debatable the level of input Alex Corretja had during the US Open campaign of 2010 and the Australian Open 2011 campaign. Both campaigns brought mixed performances. We had the Andy Murray 'didn't want it and totally lost it' performance against Stanislas Wawrinka at the US Open and the Andy Murray 'planned everything and got outgunned at the end' performance at the Australian Open. What is certain is that Andy will come in without any pressure from the press because in some quarters players like David Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro are considered favourites ahead of Andy based on previous results against the Scot on clay and also Clay is their preferred surface. Andy needs to let his tennis do the talking and really put himself in a position to be a serious threat at this French Open. I would hate for Andy to look back at this and like Marlon Brando in the Waterfront say "I coulda been a contender"

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray In The French Open 2011 - Page 6 Empty Re: Andy Murray In The French Open 2011

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:20 pm

Oh I know Djokovic is on a hot streak just now and is why I am tipping him to win the French Open. When I said I believe Andy can win a slam I wasn't saying it would be THIS one.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray In The French Open 2011 - Page 6 Empty Re: Andy Murray In The French Open 2011

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

Great result for Murray.

If he can play aggressive like he has most of the tournament, he can take Nadal out. Nadal not in his best form and this is the best chance Murray has.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:30 pm

Rafa may not be on his best form but he is still better than Murray on clay in this form.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

eirebilly wrote:Rafa may not be on his best form but he is still better than Murray on clay in this form.

Did you see Monte Carlo?

Had Murray not had that injury before hand, He would've taken Nadal.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:34 pm

I didnt see that, i must confess legend but i just still feel that Rafa is betteron clay. That said, this is still a huge chance for Murray and i will be supporting him as always
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

No doubt on paper Nadal is better than Murray, but in the present I think Murray has the slight edge. Murray needs to hit the ground quicker in the first set than he did today.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

That he does legend. It would really be some achievement if he beat Rafa in RG would'nt it.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

I can't see it happening as Rafa is so good whilst this is Andy's weakest surface. Getting to the semis here is an achievement in itself so whatever happens (apart from the ankle business) it has been a good tournament for Andy.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

That it is CC, not many players in the history of the game can say that they have been to the semi's in all 4 GS's. It would be really good for him if he could win a GS soon though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

Just trying to hunt around to find what greats of the sport have NOT reached the semis at all four slams and so far have a list of Matts Wilander, Pat Cash, Bjorn Borg (that was at a time when the Aussie Open wasn't attended by all the top players so Borg only played in it fleetingly), Andy Roddick, Goran Ivansevic, Michael Chang, Guillermo Villas and am sure there are more to add to that list so you see obviously a big achievement.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 7:47 pm

Hi all. Can see a few names from 606 on here, good to see.

Andy did well today. Very well in patches, but also a bit sloppy in patches. I thought it was really interesting what Miles Maclagan said on Eurosport. He said that sometimes early in slams Andy was not fully focussed, a bit lackadaisical.... But come the big matches, he was 100% ready and focussed.

He'll need to be on Friday. Got to say I fancy Nadal to win, but Andy is really dangerous as very few will fancy him to win it. He needs to serve better and get his shots deep, but he can definitely hurt Nadal.

Whatever happens now, it's been a really good French Open for him. Should give him lots of confidence for the grass. Come on Andy!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

I quite fancy Murray this time round.

He needs to be aggressive from off. Attack the Nadal backhand. Let rip on his forehand. If he can do those things, I think he can take Rafa in 4.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:57 pm

Hope you're right legendkillar. If Nadal plays like he did earlier in the tournament then Murray can win if he plays really well. I just think if he plays like he did today then he'll come through.

I hope the conditions are more stable. Nadal always plays well in strong wind, and it certainly blunted Soderling's plans today.

I suppose the masterplan (for Andy) is get that first serve at 60% or above, attack the Nadal backhand, particularly with Murray's flat crosscourt BH, and only go to the forehand with pace. The forehand really needs to be in good nick because Nadal will attack it. He can do it, but it'll need him to play as well as he ever has in my opinion.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:17 pm

Lets be honest here everyone. Clay is Rafael Nadal's surface whilst Andy is just beginning to get to grips with it. Nadal is not called the 'King of Clay' for nothing and has won the French Open a staggering FIVE times whilst this is Andy's first semi at Roland Garros. If Andy wins a set it will be an achievement in itself. However, my negativity is not to belittle Andy's talents more me just facing facts that Rafa is THE MAN on clay.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

CC Nadal fans are concerned about his form. Rafa himself is probably concerned about his form. Pundits and professionals alike are concerned about Rafa's form. Andy's game has come together nicely and yes it is an achievement that he has reached the semi's, but I believe Andy has the game on clay to beat Nadal and even Djokovic. Monte Carlo and Rome proved this.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:28 pm

Not quite though legendkillar as Andy ultimately still lost those matches. True Nadal hasn't been his usual imperious self at Roland Garros but he is five times champion here so knows how to get the job done. Andy is playing his best tennis of his life on clay at the moment but is that enough? If he continues having his mental lapses where his mind goes into neutral for a game or two coupled with Nadal's superior clay court play then that is why I think it will prove tough (on this surface) for Andy.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:30 pm

He may have lost those matches CC but if he had held his nerve against Djokovic and if he was fully fit against Nadal he would've won and that to me is what is important, he should've won. Previous match ups have not shown that, but on clay this season it has. Like so many sportsman will say, he may be a 5 time champ, but out on court that counts for nothing.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

But surely Andy not holding his nerve doesn't count in his favour here? Andy has improved on clay this year immeasurably but still needs works on these mental lapses that we saw against Troicki (second and fifth set) and Chela (a few times today when he gave back breaks). These lapses as the commentators point out Djokovic, Federer and Nadal don't do. Murray needs to improve that area of his game then I'd be very confident he will win at least one slam. That is all that is holding him back now.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:43 pm

Yes I won't deny Andy had lapses, but right now his tennis is in a good place and when the mind matches that he can beat anyone, even on clay. I think if anything the forehand has become an effective weapon and if Murray does not have these lapses it is hard to see a Djokovic, Nadal or Federer beat him. In that first set against Troicki I was amazed he won 1 game let alone 4. And against Chela in that first set. 2 breaks down and he comes though. That shows how much he gets into a players head. He got into the head of Nadal and Djokovic recently and if he does that, they will be in trouble.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:51 pm

A lot depends on his mindset and tactics he uses. If he has a day of mental lapses coupled with being a tad too passive he doesn't stand a chance - he may win a few engrossing rallies but ultimately he'll lose. If he gets into the mindset he adopts when behind and in danger (like against Troicki and Chela) where he stepped it up and steps into shots smacking winners then he may be able to rattle Rafa but he can afford no lapses. Still say Rafa is just too strong on clay - I'd fancy Andy's chances more on grass or hard court.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm

Agree with Craig here. If Rafa plays anywhere near his best then i think he'll be too strong. Murray could do it, but he'd need to play fantastically well, and he has not managed to string that together for sustained periods on clay.

Great achievement from AM getting to the semis, and nobody hopes i'm wrong more than me, but i think Rafa will come through. Grass or hard would be different. In fact, I think this achievement and the belief it will give him may push him on to win Wimbledon.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

Here's hoping Danny.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Agree with Craig here. If Rafa plays anywhere near his best then i think he'll be too strong. Murray could do it, but he'd need to play fantastically well, and he has not managed to string that together for sustained periods on clay.

Great achievement from AM getting to the semis, and nobody hopes i'm wrong more than me, but i think Rafa will come through. Grass or hard would be different. In fact, I think this achievement and the belief it will give him may push him on to win Wimbledon.
Murray would only have a realistic chance on H/C Danny, Nadal has battered him at Wimbledon twice already

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

I would hardly call 6-4 7-6 6-4 a battering. Three tight sets in the semis last year but point taken. I think I am more hopeful now because Rafa has not been so fantastic so far this year.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

To me Rafa's backhand looks like an area which can be targetted. What I have seen that Nole has been hitting lots of balls on Rafa's backhand side and not letting him hit forehand winners from there.

I think it will be interesting to see if Murray can attack Rafa's weaker side and the second serve. If Murray has to win then he has to win the first set and try to finish in 3 sets. If the match goes longer than it has to be Nadal.

Personally, I would like to see Murray winning the semi and then the finals unless he is pitted against Fed.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:37 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I would hardly call 6-4 7-6 6-4 a battering. Three tight sets in the semis last year but point taken. I think I am more hopeful now because Rafa has not been so fantastic so far this year.
I'm kinda confused, Rafa's not had a good year yet he's been in the final of all 5 Masters 1000s and 1 500 event.

That doesn't seem too bad to me, only one guy is better off than him.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, Danny and wow, hope you like it here with us on v2 : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:47 pm

I wouldn't say that Nadal has had a bad year. He is just below his best form. I am hoping that the Rafa that played in the first 2 rounds will show and not the one of today.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm

The first time they played at Wimbledon Nadal did batter him. That was the match where Murray decided he wasn't fit enough. He embarked on an intense training period after that and months later outlasted Nadal in New York.

The second time was an incredibly close match. I think Nadal won about 7 points more that Murray. Nadal won the second set because a pass clipped the net giving him the mini break. Murray was actually ahead on points during the 3rd set, yet was 2 sets down. That's how close it was.

Murray played better in that match than he did in Australia when Nadal retired near the end. It was anything but a battering.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome Solerina. Very Happy

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:34 am

Morning Murraymites kiss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/13624084.stm

Have you read this ???

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:44 am

Morning yummy - Kind words from Rafa but there has always been mutual respect from both going back to when they were Juniors.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:48 am

You can see that when they play Sportslover - and even when
they (whisper) PRACTICE together Whistle

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

i hope that andy do not commit lots of errors. going by his comment that he can beat nadal and i second it. whenever and whereever andy has made that comment he has delivered the goods. he is the only one who came close to beating djoko on clay.
good luck andy.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:21 am

I reckon Andy should 'accidently' kick Rafa's water bottles over during the changeover. That might throw him off his game tomorrow.

laughing

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CUJMee Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

Morning! Just thought I'd have a look here!

I remember last year's Andy/Rafa Wimbledon match very well. I watched it on Henman Hill! OK, it was a straight sets win but it really was incredibly tight. I'm not expecting Andy to win tomorrow, but if he wins a set that will be good. If he takes it to 5 sets that will be quite something. If.......

Nah, I'm not going there!

I don't think the mental lapses that people are worrying about are nearly so likely when he plays the top three. Certainly not Rafa. Matches with Rafa are so intense there's no time to think about having a mental lapse!! Very Happy

Last edited by CUJMee on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

CUJMee

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

With Nadal not in the best of form, this is Andy's big chance but he has his own problems with his ankle and lapses of concentration. Should be a good match and i hope Andy wins.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

Hiya CU Hug Fancy meeting you here !!!

I agree - There'll be no time for *thinking* when Andy and Rafa play'
he's well aware just how high the stakes are !!

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by CUJMee Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

Hiya yummy! kiss

Well, I thought I'd just have a look, and it's a bit more like the old place isn't it! I'm about to go for a train to Aiberdeen, so as usual gotta scarper. Hope I'm back in time for tomorrow's match, but I'll only see it if they're second on. Don't think we have an emoticon for it here, but Good Luck Andy!

CUJMee

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:50 pm

I think you would like it here CU but you may miss the wums!

Like a hole in the head Very Happy

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

CUJMee wrote:Hiya yummy! kiss

Well, I thought I'd just have a look, and it's a bit more like the old place isn't it! I'm about to go for a train to Aiberdeen, so as usual gotta scarper. Hope I'm back in time for tomorrow's match, but I'll only see it if they're second on. Don't think we have an emoticon for it here, but Good Luck Andy!

Bad new for you CUJMee is that the Nadal V Murray match is first on court at 1pm (BST) tomorrow.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:24 pm

Welcome to the forum CUJMee......I hope you like it here Smile

Nice to see you posting again Yummy : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:11 am

Are we all ready to watch Andy Murray play Rafa today? I cant honestly wait for it, should be a cracking game and i really hope that Andy wins.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:14 am

I'd love to see Andy win but my realist head is on and telling me Rafa is 'King Of Clay' whilst Andy is just starting to get to grips with the surface. Nadal to win but how I hope I am wrong.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:19 am

Its Andy's best chance against Rafa on clay CC so i honestly hope he does do it. Its would be something else if he got to the final. That would make three final appreances from the 4 GS's. Not a bad feather in the cap.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:36 am

Andy believes that he can beat Nadal which means that he will beat him this time. He certainly has the game to beat him. There are several chinks in the armour to exploit. If Murray stays fit then he is winning.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:40 am

I cant see it being a short match either way. Andy has been hitting the ball well but has also been having a lot of lapses in concentration which Nadal will capitalise on. If Andy's ankle stays strong and he doesnt have too many lapses then i can see him giving Nadal a big scare if not beat him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:44 am

Being very much the underdog may work in his favour but it isn't going to be easy.

Anyway good luck and let's hope for a repeat of the quality tennis played between them at last years WTF.

But with a different result this time.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:48 am

I really cant wait, i have this sneaky feeling that Andy may just win today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:56 am

Good luck Andy Very Happy

Shame about the wind (not Andys' - the weather)

Whistle

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:24 am

The one good thing (and to his credit) is that Andy has reached the semi without being consistently at his best. He has said a few times during the tournament he hasn't played great yet here he is in the semis. Now time for a magnificent performance Andy. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next