The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

+47
Knowsit17
banbrotam
The Bachelor
laverfan
88Chris05
LuvSports!
liverbnz
CAS
Henman Bill
skyeman
Good Golly I'm Olly
TopoftheChops
EnglishReign
JuliusHMarx
zx1234
Strawberry Jam
kemet
Tropicalfruiter
Chazfazzer
Mad for Chelsea
zaron
Jahu
ryan86
eirebilly
carrieg4
Danny_1982
Dave.
hawkeye
slashermcguirk
daraghj82
bradman99.94
FedsFan
time please
sirfredperry
barrystar
HM Murdock
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
Duty281
summerblues
socal1976
break_in_the_fifth
bogbrush
The Special Juan
luciusmann
CaledonianCraig
User 774433
51 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY Empty US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

US OPEN ATP FINAL: Novak Djokovic (2) vs Andy Murray (4)

4 Times the Brit has reached the finals of a Grand Slam Major Championship. 4 Times Murray has left the stadium dejected, with only a runner's up plat to console him.
But this could be it. This time could be different. Maybe this time, Murray will finally seal glory and silence his doubters who have claimed that Murray isn't good enough at the highest level.
But it could all come crashing down.

There was indeed another man, by the name of Ivan Lendl, who lost his first 4 Grand Slams. He was also on his way to a fifth defeat, up against the great John McEnroe, 2 sets down and out of the match.
But, from nowhere, Lendl summoned inspiration. The French crowd were murmuring, the doubters were getting louder 'Ivan Lendl the man who couldn't win a slam' 'Ivan Lendl, the man who always lost in the finals.'
He shut them up.

Murray has another chance to do the same here, the parallel is uncanny. Lendl now works as Master Yoda mentoring the Young Jedi Andy Murray. Can Murray emulate his master?

The force it seems, is with Murray. Last year in 3 slams Andy Murray was stopped in the semi-final by Rafael Nadal. But now Nadal is injured.
In 3 of his 4 Grand Slams Finals so far, Murray has been out-hit by 17-time Grand Slam Champion Roger Federer. But the Swiss is out, slumping to a defeat inflicted by Tomas Berdych.
Only one obstacle remains: Novak Djokovic.

The two have been rivals since they were very young, even in the junior circuit. But now, the stakes are greater than ever. The scheduling arguably favours the underdog Murray, but Djokovic was quick in his dismissal of David Ferrer today.
And Djokovic is a physical beast.

This is judgement day. This is the day of destiny. Murray won the Olympic Gold medal, but now he could be on the verge of creating history, and becoming the first British male Grand Slam winner since Sir Fred Perry in 1936. Djokovic has won his last 27 matches on Hard Court Grand Slams. 27 matches.

That run could come to an end this Monday.

Amritia3ee
The past means nothing, the present and the future holds key.

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY Smileys-tennis-251997

Prediction Time:
Murray: Luciusmann, Legendkiller, Bogbrush, Duty281, Josiah Maiestas, Bradman99.94, Carrieg4, Ryan86, Eirebilly(9)
Djokovic: Lydian, IMBL, Danny1982 (3)

Running 606v2 Odds: (Based on predictions so far)
Murray- 1.2
Djokovic- 3.6

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm; edited 17 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY Empty Re: US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:40 pm

The result of this final could really go either way. It is very evenly poised. Of course if we go on slam records then Novak Djokovic is the multiple slam winner and defending champion so has the 'Been there done that' badge. In Murray's favour is that in the past two meetings against Novak in big matches he has gave a good account of himself losing narrowly in the Australian Open semi in a match that could have gone either way. We then saw Murray come out on top in the Olympic semi-final V Djokovic. Should be a cracking match and may the best man win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY Empty Re: US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by luciusmann Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

It will be interesting - after the Aussie Open semi final between the two, I feel this could go the distance -after all, Murray did take a set off Fed in the Wimbledon final whereas before he had never taken a set in any slam final so there is cause for optimism, not to mention he has a day of extra rest!

I think at the very least, this match will go to 4 sets but there is good reason to hope for 5 -I mean Djokovic isn't going to go without a fight after losing in the Wimbledon semi so tamely and his chances of winning the Year End No.1 would be damaged if he lost too (I'm aware that Djokovic will lead by 1, 005 [in the race to No.1 this year] if he loses but that sort of lead can easily be overhauled if Fed wins the WTF and another Masters title). It would be a good way to finish the year if he can end up with 2 slams rather than 1 but I think Djokovic is going to find it tough, Murray has shown he has the maturity to fight back when the chips are down and that's the sort of quality champions have. I was especially impressed with how he dealt with Berdych after being in the same situation as Fed had been (breaking Berdbrain in the first set) but then going onto lose the set. Fed simply folded and allowed the set back to affect him immediately in the second set, Murray didn't. Although I do like Djokovic's style of play, I'm going with Murray because he really has made huge strides to actually winning a grand slam now.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 09 Sep 2012, 8:45 pm

Murray, to me, has the air of a man who simply refuses to be beaten. With that kind of mentality and the possibility of him bringing his best tennis to the match, we might be in for a barnstormer. I'm not going to call it.

I would right a long passage but why use 300 words when I can use 45.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:03 pm

Murray can win it if he hits the ground running. Must avoid running into problems in his first few service games. For me the key shot is the retrieving BH slice cross court. It just ties players in knots. What will encourage Murray is beating Djokovic in Doha and Wimbledon at the Olympics. Quick courts. Murray shouldn't be reluctant to go to the FH. He can stretch the court unlike Ferrer today. Murray will need to return well on the Djokovic second serve.

Djokovic on the other hand will know this Murray isn't the same boy he whopped in 2011 at the AO or the recent AO2012 meeting to which Djokovic was on the rack in the fifth. Djokovic will want to dictate most of the play with his FH. His well disguised drop shot will keep Murray sharp on his toes. Djokovic's retrieval skills are the best on tour and he knows he will chase down every ball Murray sends down. I will also expect Djokovic to take advantage of the Murray 2nd serve.

For me a close one. Murray in 4.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

I fear it will be hugely attritional, but Murray is better than last year and Djokovic isn't.

I think Murray will just get this.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

All credit to Lyd, Carrieg, for the additional smiley Run

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:36 pm

bogbrush wrote:

I so hope you are right BB. Unfortunately, I think it will be very tight - another roller-coaster ride for us Murray fans.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:58 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

I so hope you are right BB. Unfortunately, I think it will be very tight - another roller-coaster ride for us Murray fans.
I doubt you'll be given an easy time, but I hope he gets it; he's done exactly the right things since AO 2011 and I think he's very much improved mentally. I think this is where he might have the advantage.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 09 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm

I know there were question marks asked about Ivan Lendl as choice of coach but I think they can be banished now. He has worked well with Andy, there is a good and vital mutual respect there and Lendl comes with bucket loads of big match experience.

I was just thinking that since Lendl became his coach Andy's slam record is the best it has been in a calendar year.

Australian Open:- A very narrow semi-final defeat against Djokovic that could have went either way.

French Open:- A Quarter-Final defeat in a tournament in which he was hampered by a back injury.

Wimbledon:- A battling performance in the final against Roger Federer and if he had of won that second set then who knows. His best performance to date in a slam final.

US Open:- A place in the US Open Final. He has dodged bullets along the way but kept a cap on his emotions, staying focussed in difficult moments and finding a way to win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 09 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

His Wimbledon performance was indeed one to be admired, in the first set to my dismay at the time I was convinced he was going to win as he was just too good. If he can bring the level he had in the Olympic final to this then he should be able to take it. I guess it's different playing Djokovic and Federer. Their games are too similar to each other, I really hope Murray's variety can be used in his favour though I'm not sure the slice will work that well on this surface.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 09 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

"
PseudoFed previews the men’s singles final of the US Open:
Thank you to My great friends at The Tennis Space for asking My staff to arrange for Me to share My expert opinion on the U.S. Open final. I’m always happy to help you out. As they say – you scratch My back, and so do My staff.
First of all I will say that if had I won the quarter finals, semis and beaten My opponent in the final I would have been the winner. You’re welcome. I’m thinking of the times ahead (referred to as the future) and I am liking of the idea of becoming a tennis commentators giving views with no bias and so being totally objectional. Let’s make the analysis.

Andrew Murray – He has a top coach Mr. Lentils. I find him a little off-putting as during Andrew’s matches. He is always so animated, shouting and making the whoop whoop noises. It’s as though he is the Oprah Winfrey show shouting, “Go Ricky, Go Ricky”. Certainly if I was Andrew I’d tell him to, ‘Shut up’. Andrew must make the concentrations on his game, first serves will be important times. He must also try and make the balls long even though they are usually round. This will confuse his opponent. He has a strong team behind him. I can’t help but feel he has stepped it up with the notches. James Bond is now in his camp as well as Alex Ferguson. Two major U.K. weapons of mass destruction.
Novak Djokovic – he is certainly an interesting player. His family are very quiet, stealth-like I would say. Personally I’ve never noticed them despite rumors to the contrary. Novak’s main weapon is his variability. This is enough to throw the tactics of nearly every opponent. He can skillfully make the impersonations and suddenly you think you’re about to serve against Nadal, Roddick or Maria Sugarapova. If it was Me playing against Novak I’d use the intellectual side of the game. To begin with he cannot fool Me about being Nadal as if it was, I’d have most likely have already lost the match. Roddick has already made the retirements so it can’t be him and I know this. Maria would be more difficult but I believe if a woman was in the men’s final Gilles Simon would make lots of noises.

Who will win? Well it can only be one of them. This means the other will lose. We will only know the winner when one of them has won."

http://www.thetennisspace.com/opinion/pseudofed-my-preview-of-the-us-open-final/#
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:57 am

I don't have a good feeling, but if Novak plays well he will beat Murray. That being said his best form has not showed up very often this year and when it has it hasn't stayed for long enough. Novak needs this title but certainly Murray is going to be the hungrier of the two. If you go on current form Murray has had a relatively poor US Hardcourt season till this tournament and his finals run. I also think Andy was very fortunate that it was a windy day. Windy days favor the better mover and retriever, plus Berdych has a very high toss with his serve and lost a lot of penetration on his serve due to that uncertainty. Still Murray seems somehow due to win, I don't no how to explain it but I have some sort of bad feeling or misgivings as a Djokovic fan for this match.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:02 am

This could be very close. Both have a chance to win, a lot will depend on what game they bring tomorrow. Agree with BB that Andy is now better than in the past, while Nole - as good as he looked today - is not quite where he was last year.

Will that be enough to carry Andy to victory? I have no idea. Nole is playing quite well, and he has "been there, done that". Almost 50/50 for me.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch. Good luck Andy.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:26 am

Murray to win in 4. Won't be a classic final, it'll be a war of attrition but I'll back Murray in his 5th final.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:40 am

I know it is an old cliche but I really believe the first set tonight will be crucial. We know Novak is a great front-runner and looks to be slowly recovering that unflappable self-belief and should he win the first set it feeds that self-belief further. On the other side of the coin should Andy lose the first set surely a part of his mind will say: 'On no here we go again'. However, should Andy bag the first set it will further enhance his view that this is his time following his recent Olympic success and keeps the momentum going on from his semi V Djokovic at the Olympics and that surely has instilled some doubt in the back of Novak's mind and would keep that bubbling.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:45 am

Novak definitely used up all his luck to beating Nadal in AO, as well as the wins over Federer in saving MP's and Tsonga. Today will make up for his luck, with Murray clinching his first slam title. ALBA GU BRATH! Braveheart

Last edited by Josiah Maiestas on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:52 am

I think the 1st set is more important for Andy than Novak, we know Novak is good at coming back from being behind, e.g. Tsonga at RG.

He just has to bear one thing in mind - Australian 2012. There he used variety, good serves and attacking play. He cannot be passive...especially as these courts are quicker than AO, he cannot serve loads of 2nd serves or else he's dead, and he cannot let Novak dictate play.

I think he's learnt a lot these past few months and his will power alone at breaking the duck and avoiding the ignomy of becoming the 1st person to lose his first slams finals may drive him on harder than Novak. May.

But I'm sorry to say that I think Novak is peaking again...and I have him down to win in straight sets because I think on these faster courts he'll be drilling the balls into the corners and although Murray is mentally better than he was, it will only take 2-3 moments of retreating back into his shell behind the baseline in each set that will hand Novak the initiative...an initiative that I feel Novak is better at grasping in slams.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

Not too concerned if Murray drops the first set. He did at the Australian Open and in the 2nd and 3rd set gave Novak a pasting.

For me Djokovic hasn't done the business against Andy on the faster courts this year. Doha and the Olympics are proof of this. What is crucial is the returns by both players. Djokovic is in for a war as Andy realistically is the only player in the draw who can match and challenge him physically.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:07 am

This is a close one. There seems to be a swell of opinion that this is in some way Murray's "time" but I think this is misguided. It is allowing "fate" into the equation when the reality is that it is no part at all.

There also seems to be a swell of opinion that Murray has the momentum but I think this is largely flawed too. Since the Olympics, he has a withdrawal from Toronto, an early defeat at Cincy and a couple of shaky performances in this tournament.

Novak, by contrast, has had a win in Toronto, a runner up at Cincy and, apart from one mad set against Ferrer, has played well all through the tournament.

So, based on form, I think Novak edges it.

Something I do strongly agree with though is The Special One's comment that Murray has the air of someone who refuses to be beaten. During and since Wimbledon, it strikes me that he has mentally arrived on the big stage. He now looks like believes he belongs there and that matches are now on his racquet.

Taking everything into account, it's virtually 50/50. I'm going to hedge my bets slightly and say that I think whoever wins the first set wins the match. I think it will be a huge ask for whoever falls behind to win 3 sets out of 4 against such a closely match opponent.

Last edited by HM Murdoch on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:15 am

To be fair though, where Andy has ultimately been judged throughout his career is Grand Slams results so if we stick to those big matches format then Andy has the momentum. Looking at the two big summer tournaments so far:-

Wimbledon

Murray a beaten finalist - Djokovic a beaten semi-finalist

Olympic Games

Murray Olympic Champion (beating Djoko on his way there) - Djokovic beaten in the Bronze medal play-off

That is why people feel he has some momentum going. True Andy's results between the Olympics and the here and now have been disappointing due to injury withdrawal and defeat against Chardy but I think it is clear to me now that Andy really is focussing more on the slams now and making them a priority and even Masters events are secondary to him just now until he wins a slam.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:17 am

On recent HC form Djoko has got to be the favourite, but not by a huge amount. I still think that the match is on Andy's racquet because Djoko is more consistent - Andy can reach the necessary heights and if he does he'll win. That's some 'if' though.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:20 am

HM Murdoch. Know what you mean about fate not really being a factor. But those who believe it can play a part point to the fact that if there is a groundswell of opinion around the place that something is going to happen then this gets through to the player and it strengthens his belief.
Let's face it. Few will be surprised at the result of this final as a good case can be made (a slightly stronger one for Djoko, perhaps) for either player triumphing.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

CaledonianCraig - I think too much is being read into the Olympics. He played brilliantly but it is not a tournament to equate with a slam. It was basically a 1 week BO3 tournament (apart from the final). Why should we treat it as harder to win than a Masters? I'm not discounting it, I'm just trying to put it in context.

Wimbledon however, certainly counts as momentum I can accept that fully.

But let's also remember that both were on grass; and that Novak on grass is a different animal to Novak on HC.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

sirfredperry wrote:HM Murdoch. Know what you mean about fate not really being a factor. But those who believe it can play a part point to the fact that if there is a groundswell of opinion around the place that something is going to happen then this gets through to the player and it strengthens his belief.
Let's face it. Few will be surprised at the result of this final as a good case can be made (a slightly stronger one for Djoko, perhaps) for either player triumphing.
I agree completely. Andy, for the first time in my opinion, is mentally in a place where he can win a slam. That level of achievement is now on his racquet. But that's not quite the same thing as saying he will, and I think that distinction has become blurred in some of the coverage. He is up against a guy who has won 27 HC slam matches in a row. That's a sizeable obstacle still to negotiate!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:39 am

Sorry I have to disagree about the Olympics. Now I am not saying for one moment it has the same status as a slam but with it being played at Wimbledon and all the main protaganists (barring injured Nadal) reaching the business end it mattered a heck of a lot particularly to Andy being on home soil at the Olympics. It brought the same swell of pressure and expectation and for the first time Andy proved to himself that he could deliver when it mattered that is what I read into it - instillation of self-belief.

Self-belief will be key tonight - whoever really, truly believes the most will win. Tennis talent-wise Andy has it to win slams of that I have no doubt whatsoever it is his self-belief and inner confidence in himself that he lacks.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

CC - Andy said that the Olympics were completely different to a slam. He hardly had time to think about matches as he was still in the mixed with Laura R.
He said that he would never normally play doubles in a slam, adding that he was prepared to put up with a comparatively mad schedule simply cos it WASN'T a slam.
But totally agree that Andy's victory in the Gold Medal match helped his self-belief and we also saw at the USO Robson showing how much her Olympic doubles run had helped her game.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:51 am

What is tantalising is that they are 2-2 this year.

It is exciting to look forward to. I really can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

I think we are going to see both guys in prime form - totally agree with whoever said that Novak is just beginning to peak at the right time, and Andy has great momentum this summer.

It's going to be an immense battle I feel and I predict that it is going the distance. Murray has to keep that self belief going and not just when he is able to dictate passages of play.

I don't want to jinx by calling it either way! (not that I am superstitious or anything Wink )

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

There's no doubt that Andy is in the best space he's been in yet for winning one of these slams - and its not against Federer or Nadal this time.

Yes Murray beat Novak in Dubai which is a fast courtbut this was earlier in the year when Novak was relatively "slumping". I think he's regained form slowly over the year. Ok, Wimbledon and Olympics werent his finest hour but look at his form on HC since...won Canada and got to Cincy final losing only to Federer, and then in this event besides the wind affected start to Ferrer he's barely been losing games. I just feel he's going to be too strong and his flatter shots will hurt Murray on these courts over a period of time. That said, Djokovic hasnt had to play a player like Murray yet Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

sirfredperry wrote:CC - Andy said that the Olympics were completely different to a slam. He hardly had time to think about matches as he was still in the mixed with Laura R.
He said that he would never normally play doubles in a slam, adding that he was prepared to put up with a comparatively mad schedule simply cos it WASN'T a slam.
But totally agree that Andy's victory in the Gold Medal match helped his self-belief and we also saw at the USO Robson showing how much her Olympic doubles run had helped her game.

Yes sfp and I did say it hasn't got the same status as a slam did I not? My point being it was an Olympic Games in Britain with great expectation and pressure on but Andy Murray handled it and beat Djokovic AND Federer in back-to-back matches (which people doubted he could ever do) to win the title. That HAS TO give him self-belief - an ingredient sadly missing in Andy in previous slam finals.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:36 am

People talk about Toronto, but in fariness there was no Murray, Federer or Nadal. Who did Nole have to beat seriously that is of any calibre to what he faces tonight. Yes he made the final in Cinncy, but he got spanked by Federer. Past match-ups are relevant. You can argue a toss about recent form, but it is different when it is a guy you play regularly on tour and H2H's can enter the fray at any given time. For this season it is 2-2, so don't be surprised if it becomes a very tentative match.

There's a misconception that Nole is going to blast Murray from the court. If he believes that much more than his supporters, he is in big trouble. Watching Ferrer and Djokovic showed a lot of things. Djokovic stretched a very compact Ferrer. Murray is not going to play that compact. For that reason you will not see many winners off the Djokovic racquet. Ferrer didn't do a lot of with the 2nd serve. Something again that plays to Murray's strength. Djokovic wasn't pulling the trigger much against Ferrer even when the ball was there to be slapped away. Push push push. Djokovic for me is still not showing enough confidence to play long passages of attacking tennis. Murray is sceptical in tightening up. Djokovic will look at the Cilic match and know that going out all guns blazing is not without the risk of errors and fatigue deeper in the match. Murray is there to be hit off the court, but it takes a lot of energy. One thing he might learn from is the final with Federer at Wimbledon. Look at how he kept himself ticking in the match and then taking that rare opportunity that Murray's level drops.

Murray needs to look at the French Open. One thing he can take from it is that if his level drops, then the situation can be salvaged given that Nadal was gone had the gods not intervened. Djokovic in his match with Ferrer at times on his own serve was pushed about. Ferrer can count himself unlucky on some net chords and may have even secured a break back in the 2nd.

Let's look past Wimbledon and the Olympics and Toronto and Cinncy. What has changed in both players? Murray is playing a much better chip and charge approach. Get's the right depth on the slice and has covered the net well. Djokovic has enhanced his confidence and is dictating more on his FH.

These are the important factors:

- Murray and Djokovic both lethal on the return of serve.
- Djokovic has dropped fewer games and is serving in the high 60's.
- Both have not lost a TB during the tournament.
- Murray has had extra rest and hasn't lost time as a result.
- Murray has handled play in the breeze much better.
- Djokovic has hit more winners.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

Good post legend.

I would just like to add that people keep saying how impressive Novak has been but has he really been tested owing to the not so perilous journey he has has to reach the final. Of course he will have looked better than Andy because the draw he had allowed that.

It is clear to me that a key to a Murray success tonight is aggressive ground shots peppering the baseline. Ferrer had brief success in fourth set yesterday then reverted back to hitting short around the service line and this just fed Djokovic easy attempts at winners. Andy must hit aggressive, deep ground shots and returns and if he does that I will be very happy. Of course his first serve percentage must be decent as in mid 60%.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:00 am

I think it's desperately important for the game that Murray wins.

Federer keeps sneaking back on stage for another round of applause but the hook is obviously round his neck and he will stop being a genuine threat soon. Nadal may never be the same again, who knows?

The game will lose a lot of variety soon and so far Murray has only provided garnish to these events. If he can step up here it will provide another potential outcome that we can believe is feasible, and also maybe boost his momentum and allow him to bring a more expansive game to future Slams. It's needed; the "highlights" of the AO semi, whilst staggeringly impressive in some ways, showed an endless stream of identikit rallies that got old quickly.

I also would like to see Murray rewarded for his response to adversity, which has been very impressive.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

Murray needs to be very canny with his serve. Against Cilic once the serve came back, he panicked and tried to hit 130mph serves with not a lot of success. Once he realised that Cilic was going all out, he soaked it up and picked him off. Djokovic is much more economical and will not waste his shots like Cilic. What Djokovic won't do like so many is tie himself in knots trying to get the second serve onto the FH. He will play his BH every time and be comfortable doing so.

Djokovic will need to protect his second serve because Murray will step inside the court and go after it. I would expect Djokovic to go to the body on his second serve. What Djokovic musn't do is if his FH breaks down let it completely de-stabilise him. Go to the BH and once the confidence has returned go back to the FH. Against Del Potro in the 2nd set he was agitated sometimes with his FH. Once he used the BH he seemed to regain confidence and rythym.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:13 am

Good points LK - but still think Djoko is favourite, we underestimate him at Andy's peril.

Also agree the game needs an Andy win to break the triumvirate - particularly from a British tennis perspective.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:17 am

I have one question:

Is Novak Djokovic playing better now than he was at the AO earlier this year?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

I don't underestimate Djokovic. I just feel it is fools logic to discount Andy's chances completely. He has come a long way since the last mauling in 2011. Djokovic is still not in the 2011 mould and likely is that he never will be. He is a much more vulnerable prospect since then. It is hard to argue the form Djokovic has shown this tournament. What Saturday showed is that if Andy can get under his skin, he can draw out the errors. This is what the match will probably be based on who's play can generate the most errors. Andy is finding a much better length now in rallies and is not playing suicide up the deuce court like before.

Andy has had some character challenging matches this year. AO2012 against Djokovic. Despite the loss I think he learnt a lot about his game and where it is and where it can go to. Ferrer and Federer Wimbledon. Lopez and Cilic in this tournament. Djokovic has too with Tsonga and Nadal at the French Open and Federer at Wimbledon. Some tough losses, but also has had some sweet victories. I wonder if the lack of such matches in this US Open might throw Djokovic if Murray gets into his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:I would just like to add that people keep saying how impressive Novak has been but has he really been tested owing to the not so perilous journey he has has to reach the final. Of course he will have looked better than Andy because the draw he had allowed that.
It's the manner of the results that has impressed. In Del Potro and Ferrer he came up against two top ten players who played good examples of their games. By that I mean that I doubt either player came off court feeling that they had played badly. But Novak pretty much swatted them aside. His game is clearly functioning well.

I really think tonight's match is a test of nerve. Andy has a history of of mental wobbles but has looked a new man for the last 3 or 4 months. Djokovic has had a long spell of looking rock solid mentally but has wobbled on big occasions recently. I'm finding it difficult to decide what trumps what!

Also agree on the weather. If it is windy, I think Murray is the better player in those conditions.

I'm getting emotionally invested again, I can feel it! Back off, Murdoch, it doesn't matter, it's just a game...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

The Special Juan wrote:I have one question:

Honestly, there's not much in it.

Remember how wobbly Novak looked in the second week in Oz? Allergies were playing up and he was making a real fuss, looking like he was about to die!

I think the two marathons he got through to win has made many forget that, at the time, not many people expected him to win!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

B'Brush. Expanding your earlier points - is the Djoko-Murray match-ups going to be the outstanding rivalry to come, considering Rafa's injury problems and the question of Fed's longevity ?
It could be that we shall see Andy and Nole going head to head in a number of these big tournaments. It will be a matter of taste whether such a rivalry can match the Fed/Rafa one or the 2011 Rafa/Nole match ups.
Nole today is quoted as saying that he really likes Andy but can't really be big buddies with him and hang out together while they are still trying to tear each other to pieces on a tennis court. It suggests that he knows he'll be up against Andy for a while to come. You're a long time retired in this business and guys can get all cosy with each other once they are off the main tour. Why, even Connors and Mac get along now.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:40 am

sirfredperry wrote:B'Brush. Expanding your earlier points - is the Djoko-Murray match-ups going to be the outstanding rivalry to come, considering Rafa's injury problems and the question of Fed's longevity ?
It could be that we shall see Andy and Nole going head to head in a number of these big tournaments. It will be a matter of taste whether such a rivalry can match the Fed/Rafa one or the 2011 Rafa/Nole match ups.
Nole today is quoted as saying that he really likes Andy but can't really be big buddies with him and hang out together while they are still trying to tear each other to pieces on a tennis court. It suggests that he knows he'll be up against Andy for a while to come. You're a long time retired in this business and guys can get all cosy with each other once they are off the main tour. Why, even Connors and Mac get along now.
I think it's all we've have on offer, which isn't on the face of it very enticing.

However even that depends on murray stepping up. I always recall Andy Roddick interviewed on court after losing (I think) his first Wimbledon final to Federer and when asked about the great rivalry emerging responded that he had to win some to make it a rivalry. Whilst Andy wins some matches he has yet to do so on the big stage and it has to start soon or it really doesn't count as a rivalry.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:41 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:I have one question:

Honestly, there's not much in it.

Remember how wobbly Novak looked in the second week in Oz? Allergies were playing up and he was making a real fuss, looking like he was about to die!

I think the two marathons he got through to win has made many forget that, at the time, not many people expected him to win!

He did look a bit suspect in the second week. He played his best tennis of the tournament when it mattered in Oz though, against Murray and then against Rafa in the final. He has a will to win when it matters though.

However, I think Murray is a better layer now than he was back then, whereas although I don't think Djokovic is playing badly at all, I can't say he's playing better now than than in AO.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:21 pm

Yes it all sounds good LK - I just hope it translates into a Murray win because if it doesnt you do wonder about what that 'progress' actually meant. The reality is that Murray may never have a better chance than this so needs to make this one count. He doesnt want the mental baggage of 5 lost slam finals.

I dont see Djoko-Murray as a great rivalry. Its too similar a game style to fire the public imagination. Sure it'll be interesting for 2-3 matches because its different from the top 3 rivalries but I dont think it can sustain the game in the same way as before if the other 2 become more absent from slam finals. Anyway, thats a longer term point...we just need the Murray win today!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

Often when people anticipate a thrilling match it turns out to be a one sided let down. I think Murray has handled certain situations better this year not necessarily playing extremely well. If you take the semi he handled the wind better than Berdych who was nowhere near the level he was at coming into the match, the same level that took the game to Federer. Also, his ability to serve made the difference. Murray was winning sets by breaking his serve so Murray served less. Also, the 4th set could have been a turning out and Murray was lucky Berdych lost focus.

Against Cilic Murray was lucky. He was nearly 2 sets down and luckily for him it was Cilic and not say someone with more experience as I think Cilic could not handle the situation. But throughout all of this Murray has played well enough to get the job done. In this match he has to play very well. You are not going to have the same chances against Djokovic as the others.

Murray is too good a player not to win a slam. I though AO 11 or Wimbledon this year was his best chance but this is his best chance ever. No Nadal to stop him in the semis as per usual and no Federer in the final too. He has to play one of the 3 and not 2 of the 3 as in previous years.

I think this match is for Djokovic to win or lose. If he allows himself to get into a situation as he did on Saturday vs Ferrer, then he will lose.
I think there is more pressure on Djoko than Murray.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm

I think the thing is lydian his game is as complete as it is ever going to be. I can't foresee changes he can make to his game that improve it overall or slightly set him back. Take Berdych. Has he got a bigger game than Murray? Yes he has. There are a few more players who do, but they lack a champion's mentality. That is what Murray has. When you measure it against a Nadal or a Federer or a Djokovic, it comes up short. There is a massive clear show of respect as they are able to get comfortable in matches. Yes I would still question Djokovic with the lapses he has displayed this year and previous years.

Andy may not have the biggest FH or biggest serve for that matter. He does have a good enough FH and serve to compete at the top with the very best. My angst with him is allowing 'What could've been' points really eat at him. Nadal 2011 Wimbledon, Federer Wimbledon 2012, even in the Berdych match with the cap. It got to him so much. Like it is a justification to let go of his good play.

For me if Murray wins, I won't jump up and down or flood the forum with jubilation of 'finally done it' I will shed some tears because of the national pride the victory carries with it, however it should be treated as a start. There is a real opportunity for him to really start to do well at the Slams and it needs the validation of a Slam for him to really kick on. I really do feel it is one thing that is holding him back and his game. I think it may even encourage more positive play on court too.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

Well, FedsFan, you could say there's more pressure on Andy as no one - I think - has lost their first five GS finals. I was quite relieved, for Murray's sake, that Djoko did not come a cropper against Ferrer. Imagine the pressure on Andy if he was playing Ferrer in the final with most people expecting him to win.
As for the pressure on Djoko - he will be keen to win to show that in GS terms he has done almost as well as in his stellar 2011. Then there's the matter of the year-end number one. Also, with no Fed or Rafa to play at this year's USO, Djoko will want to put one over his next-nearest challenger.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:10 pm

The Special Juan wrote:However, I think Murray is a better layer now than he was back then, whereas although I don't think Djokovic is playing badly at all, I can't say he's playing better now than than in AO.

I agree with the broad strokes of this but think back to January. Andy had won in Brisbane and got through to the semis of AO for the loss of just one set. It was seen as his big chance. Regarding Novak, everyone was saying he was playing well but not at 2011 levels.

Sound familiar?!

I don't see today as being markedly different to back then. Andy appears to be a tougher cookie mentally but I don't rate his chances of winning as significantly higher. They were close then and they are close now. The AO went the distance and came down to a few key points. I expect tonight to be the same. I don't see us as being in a brave new post-olympic world.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:14 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:However, I think Murray is a better layer now than he was back then, whereas although I don't think Djokovic is playing badly at all, I can't say he's playing better now than than in AO.

I agree with the broad strokes of this but think back to January. Andy had won in Brisbane and got through to the semis of AO for the loss of just one set. It was seen as his big chance. Regarding Novak, everyone was saying he was playing well but not at 2011 levels.

Sound familiar?!

I don't see today as being markedly different to back then. Andy appears to be a tougher cookie mentally but I don't rate his chances of winning as significantly higher. They were close then and they are close now. The AO went the distance and came down to a few key points. I expect tonight to be the same. I don't see us as being in a brave new post-olympic world.

Yes it does unfortunately. Still, we don't know what will happen. Djokovic is rightly the favourite but I'm hoping for the upset, whereas you are not. What I will say is that whoever wins it deserves it (unless someone falls over their ankle first point).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Yes it does unfortunately. Still, we don't know what will happen. Djokovic is rightly the favourite but I'm hoping for the upset, whereas you are not. What I will say is that whoever wins it deserves it (unless someone falls over their ankle first point).
On that we can agree!

Obviously I'm rooting for Novak but I must say that, if he doesn't win, I'm glad it will be Andy that does. I won't be unhappy about either result.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next