The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

+47
Knowsit17
banbrotam
The Bachelor
laverfan
88Chris05
LuvSports!
liverbnz
CAS
Henman Bill
skyeman
Good Golly I'm Olly
TopoftheChops
EnglishReign
JuliusHMarx
zx1234
Strawberry Jam
kemet
Tropicalfruiter
Chazfazzer
Mad for Chelsea
zaron
Jahu
ryan86
eirebilly
carrieg4
Danny_1982
Dave.
hawkeye
slashermcguirk
daraghj82
bradman99.94
FedsFan
time please
sirfredperry
barrystar
HM Murdock
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
Duty281
summerblues
socal1976
break_in_the_fifth
bogbrush
The Special Juan
luciusmann
CaledonianCraig
User 774433
51 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 13 Empty US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

US OPEN ATP FINAL: Novak Djokovic (2) vs Andy Murray (4)

4 Times the Brit has reached the finals of a Grand Slam Major Championship. 4 Times Murray has left the stadium dejected, with only a runner's up plat to console him.
But this could be it. This time could be different. Maybe this time, Murray will finally seal glory and silence his doubters who have claimed that Murray isn't good enough at the highest level.
But it could all come crashing down.

There was indeed another man, by the name of Ivan Lendl, who lost his first 4 Grand Slams. He was also on his way to a fifth defeat, up against the great John McEnroe, 2 sets down and out of the match.
But, from nowhere, Lendl summoned inspiration. The French crowd were murmuring, the doubters were getting louder 'Ivan Lendl the man who couldn't win a slam' 'Ivan Lendl, the man who always lost in the finals.'
He shut them up.

Murray has another chance to do the same here, the parallel is uncanny. Lendl now works as Master Yoda mentoring the Young Jedi Andy Murray. Can Murray emulate his master?

The force it seems, is with Murray. Last year in 3 slams Andy Murray was stopped in the semi-final by Rafael Nadal. But now Nadal is injured.
In 3 of his 4 Grand Slams Finals so far, Murray has been out-hit by 17-time Grand Slam Champion Roger Federer. But the Swiss is out, slumping to a defeat inflicted by Tomas Berdych.
Only one obstacle remains: Novak Djokovic.

The two have been rivals since they were very young, even in the junior circuit. But now, the stakes are greater than ever. The scheduling arguably favours the underdog Murray, but Djokovic was quick in his dismissal of David Ferrer today.
And Djokovic is a physical beast.

This is judgement day. This is the day of destiny. Murray won the Olympic Gold medal, but now he could be on the verge of creating history, and becoming the first British male Grand Slam winner since Sir Fred Perry in 1936. Djokovic has won his last 27 matches on Hard Court Grand Slams. 27 matches.

That run could come to an end this Monday.

Amritia3ee
The past means nothing, the present and the future holds key.

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 13 Smileys-tennis-251997

Prediction Time:
Murray: Luciusmann, Legendkiller, Bogbrush, Duty281, Josiah Maiestas, Bradman99.94, Carrieg4, Ryan86, Eirebilly(9)
Djokovic: Lydian, IMBL, Danny1982 (3)

Running 606v2 Odds: (Based on predictions so far)
Murray- 1.2
Djokovic- 3.6

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm; edited 17 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 13 Empty Re: US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by time please Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:07 am

CAS wrote:Its strange, but I feel more relief than happiness much like I feel Andy was looking. Despite the fact he's lost 4 slam finals, looking like he was going to lose from 2 sets up was something else entirely. He was so disorientated at the end, did anyone else see him forget his trophy with the interview with sky? I dont think he's all there right now

I felt exactly the same way too last night - very anxious that he was going to lose the match during the closing stages of the 4th. It was a muted celebration by him on court too - I think he was just completely spent.

I'm so pleased for him to have finally come through and in such a way. After his loss in AO in 2011, I didn't think he had quite the same gears to go to as the other top 3 in the biggest matches, or rather I didn't think he could afford to drop down from his top gear against them - not an easy ask over the period of a potential 5 set encounter. He hung in there magnificently. It was a match full of drama, astonishing court coverage and brilliant deep hitting from both men. It was interesting to see two of the best returners ever of the serve facing each other down and making just astonishing gets. I do wonder how though how many times they can bring this to the table without hurting themselves - once again the way they both finished physically seems to suggest that speeding up the conditions slightly can only benefit the top players health and longevity.

The win, and the way he toughed it out and held serve so convincingly in the last set was a really mature performance, and it will be so interesting to see where he goes from here. Whatever happens, no-one can ever take this away from him - it was so timely, and much deserved.

Congrats - Legend Hug , carrie, Craig, banbrotam and all you Murray fans - couldn't remember last night because was so tired - Hug enjoy Bubbly Bubbly What a fantastic summer for British tennis in general, but this is something else entirely.

time please

Back to top Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 13 Empty Re: US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:09 am

carrieg4 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Enjoy it carrie it was a long time coming Murray and his fans deserve it. The curse is over it seems. Maybe know there will be sunshine in britain during the summer time. Ok just kidding.

Thanks Socal Very Happy

Sunshine in Britain?? That's just crazy talk Laugh

I don't know carrieg4, maybe it will just feel sunnier if Andy gets his hands on the wimbeldon trophy as well. Not exactly pleasant outdoor tennis weather this year at any of the slam finals. If NY and paris had a roof we would have had all 4 slams finish up indoors. Didn't the AO go indoor at one point due to the heat in the final, that would be interesting to know.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:11 am

Good post time please, Andy had to victimize his boy for his first slam he couldn't take one of handsome Rafa or the Rog, he had to have his day against my guy. Oh well that is the nature of big game tennis it pays if both as a fan and as a player you have a short memory.

I think TP that Andy as well was very subdued, I liked that I think it showed that he always believed and never doubted himself. He wasn't shocked he was just professional and went about his business.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:14 am

time please wrote:
CAS wrote:Its strange, but I feel more relief than happiness much like I feel Andy was looking. Despite the fact he's lost 4 slam finals, looking like he was going to lose from 2 sets up was something else entirely. He was so disorientated at the end, did anyone else see him forget his trophy with the interview with sky? I dont think he's all there right now

I felt exactly the same way too last night - very anxious that he was going to lose the match during the closing stages of the 4th. It was a muted celebration by him on court too - I think he was just completely spent.

I'm so pleased for him to have finally come through and in such a way. After his loss in AO in 2011, I didn't think he had quite the same gears to go to as the other top 3 in the biggest matches, or rather I didn't think he could afford to drop down from his top gear against them - not an easy ask over the period of a potential 5 set encounter. He hung in there magnificently. It was a match full of drama, astonishing court coverage and brilliant deep hitting from both men. It was interesting to see two of the best returners ever of the serve facing each other down and making just astonishing gets. I do wonder how though how many times they can bring this to the table without hurting themselves - once again the way they both finished physically seems to suggest that speeding up the conditions slightly can only benefit the top players health and longevity.

The win, and the way he toughed it out and held serve so convincingly in the last set was a really mature performance, and it will be so interesting to see where he goes from here. Whatever happens, no-one can ever take this away from him - it was so timely, and much deserved.

Congrats - Legend Hug , carrie, Craig, banbrotam and all you Murray fans - couldn't remember last night because was so tired - Hug enjoy Bubbly Bubbly What a fantastic summer for British tennis in general, but this is something else entirely.

It has been a great summer for British Sport Bubbly Bubbly

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:16 am

socal1976 wrote:Good post time please, Andy had to victimize his boy for his first slam he couldn't take one of handsome Rafa or the Rog, he had to have his day against my guy. Oh well that is the nature of big game tennis it pays if both as a fan and as a player you have a short memory.

I think TP that Andy as well was very subdued, I liked that I think it showed that he always believed and never doubted himself. He wasn't shocked he was just professional and went about his business.

Here's to many future battles Bubbly

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:19 am

Yes i have said it before and will say it again you are looking at the rivlary that will define most of the big titles in tennis for the next couple of years barring unforseen serious injury god forbid. I agree on that score carrie, and if we can go by the results of their last two slam meetings then we have a lot to look forward to.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:25 am

socal1976 wrote:Yes i have said it before and will say it again you are looking at the rivlary that will define most of the big titles in tennis for the next couple of years barring unforseen serious injury god forbid. I agree on that score carrie, and if we can go by the results of their last two slam meetings then we have a lot to look forward to.

Definitely Socal.

Also looking forward to many battles involving all the top 4. Hopefully Nadal will recover soon and Federer not done yet.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:33 am

Those first 2 sets were the most tiring i've ever watched. Djokovic was nowhere near his 2011 standard in those.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:35 am

With Rafa injured and Fed turning 32 next summer, it is indeed likely that Murray and Djokovic will be meeting in some more slam finals. Somehow I feel Murray will start to have the upper hand from now on, especially if he can add some more aggression to his game.

Of the other players, only Del Potro, Berdych or Tsonga might throw in an upset every now and then. Ferrer, Tipsy, Isner, Cilic etc. aren't slam material and youngsters like Raonic, Tomic and Harrison need a lot more time.
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

Congrats to all Murray fans thumbsup

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

Wow, that's me well and truly bleary eyed this morning...lol Erm

What a match, what a result - congrats to all the Murray fans, this one has been due for some time!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

I feel bad for Djokovic, he played really, really well. I'll never know how he never won it. The man is an absolute sponge (that's a compliment!!). He soaks up pressure like water then, with one squeeze, lets it out with a ripping shot cross court or down the line. He's quite incredible.

Still, I'd rather Murray won it, which he did. Bravo to both clap
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:02 am

carrieg4 wrote: Laugh Were you seriously expecting congratulations from Hawkeye?? I'm sure she is currently trying to work out a way that it doesn't count Rolling Eyes

Of course it doesn't count, Rafa wasn't there and Roger didn't make the semi's Whistle

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:40 am

banbrotam wrote:
carrieg4 wrote: Laugh Were you seriously expecting congratulations from Hawkeye?? I'm sure she is currently trying to work out a way that it doesn't count Rolling Eyes

Of course it doesn't count, Rafa wasn't there and Roger didn't make the semi's Whistle
yet Rafa's first slam came against Mariano Puerta (who?) Laugh

Djokovic is back to his 2009 form now, continually on the ends of losing close matches. Thank god he held out in that 2nd set onslaught otherwise i'm sure Novak would have opened up a 2-1 lead and been comfortable.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:28 pm

Well done Andy Murray!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13