The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

+47
Knowsit17
banbrotam
The Bachelor
laverfan
88Chris05
LuvSports!
liverbnz
CAS
Henman Bill
skyeman
Good Golly I'm Olly
TopoftheChops
EnglishReign
JuliusHMarx
zx1234
Strawberry Jam
kemet
Tropicalfruiter
Chazfazzer
Mad for Chelsea
zaron
Jahu
ryan86
eirebilly
carrieg4
Danny_1982
Dave.
hawkeye
slashermcguirk
daraghj82
bradman99.94
FedsFan
time please
sirfredperry
barrystar
HM Murdock
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
Duty281
summerblues
socal1976
break_in_the_fifth
bogbrush
The Special Juan
luciusmann
CaledonianCraig
User 774433
51 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 12 Empty US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

US OPEN ATP FINAL: Novak Djokovic (2) vs Andy Murray (4)

4 Times the Brit has reached the finals of a Grand Slam Major Championship. 4 Times Murray has left the stadium dejected, with only a runner's up plat to console him.
But this could be it. This time could be different. Maybe this time, Murray will finally seal glory and silence his doubters who have claimed that Murray isn't good enough at the highest level.
But it could all come crashing down.

There was indeed another man, by the name of Ivan Lendl, who lost his first 4 Grand Slams. He was also on his way to a fifth defeat, up against the great John McEnroe, 2 sets down and out of the match.
But, from nowhere, Lendl summoned inspiration. The French crowd were murmuring, the doubters were getting louder 'Ivan Lendl the man who couldn't win a slam' 'Ivan Lendl, the man who always lost in the finals.'
He shut them up.

Murray has another chance to do the same here, the parallel is uncanny. Lendl now works as Master Yoda mentoring the Young Jedi Andy Murray. Can Murray emulate his master?

The force it seems, is with Murray. Last year in 3 slams Andy Murray was stopped in the semi-final by Rafael Nadal. But now Nadal is injured.
In 3 of his 4 Grand Slams Finals so far, Murray has been out-hit by 17-time Grand Slam Champion Roger Federer. But the Swiss is out, slumping to a defeat inflicted by Tomas Berdych.
Only one obstacle remains: Novak Djokovic.

The two have been rivals since they were very young, even in the junior circuit. But now, the stakes are greater than ever. The scheduling arguably favours the underdog Murray, but Djokovic was quick in his dismissal of David Ferrer today.
And Djokovic is a physical beast.

This is judgement day. This is the day of destiny. Murray won the Olympic Gold medal, but now he could be on the verge of creating history, and becoming the first British male Grand Slam winner since Sir Fred Perry in 1936. Djokovic has won his last 27 matches on Hard Court Grand Slams. 27 matches.

That run could come to an end this Monday.

Amritia3ee
The past means nothing, the present and the future holds key.

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 12 Smileys-tennis-251997

Prediction Time:
Murray: Luciusmann, Legendkiller, Bogbrush, Duty281, Josiah Maiestas, Bradman99.94, Carrieg4, Ryan86, Eirebilly(9)
Djokovic: Lydian, IMBL, Danny1982 (3)

Running 606v2 Odds: (Based on predictions so far)
Murray- 1.2
Djokovic- 3.6

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm; edited 17 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 12 Empty Re: US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by Henman Bill Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:23 am

People who analyse the year end race without actually looking at the points!!??!! Could someone write an angry letter to Sky as I can't be botehred.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY - Page 12 Empty Re: US Open Final: ANDY MURRAY SEALS GLORY

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:24 am

OMG he won't let it go!

Apparently it's a race between Murray and Djokovic for y/e #1!!!

Someone get an earpiece onto him and shout some facts into it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:24 am

Henman Bill wrote:BB, did you hear Greg calling this a race between Murray and Djokovic for y/e no 1, counting Federer out. Seriously, get rid of this fool sky. I could do better. Seriously.

Leave Greg alone, after he was 100% correct, Murray did win in 4 sets picard

The grinning idiots face when Marcus confronted him with his wrong prediction was priceless

Joking aside - the bloke is an idiot

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:27 am

By the way, did anyone notice that people repeatedly said Murray used to moan a lot on court and he had to stop that negativity to win. And then Lendl came in and they said that that has been cut out.

Well he moaned more than ever in the final and still won.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:28 am

I think Greg is providing the ideal accompaniment to Murrays triumph. Sort of drama and comedy, all mixed up and blended into a super event.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:28 am

banbrotam wrote:For the first time in my 50 and one third years. I'm utterly speechless!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A very mature victory as he had the courage to use the latter part of the 4th set to prepare for the 5th - and how it worked

Fully deserved, but well done to Nole and as I've stated several times these two can dominate for the next few years

It's very touching to think of these two who when they were in their early teens used to talk about days like this and imagine what it was like

It was strange, I think this Murray victory in 5 sets will now show other players that going to a 5th set with Novak doesn't mean he will win. I was very sure that Murray lost the match when it was pushed to 5 sets but he really responded in such a terrific fashion, even if the breaks of serve were rather abundant. It is ironic that with this victory, we won't be able to see how Murray now deals with Nadal in the future because I'm sure this victory will improve his performance against Nadal but we may not see if that's the case for some time. It will be interesting for the Aussie Open, I can bet Djokovic win not want Murray on his side of the draw! Not even Federer I imagine!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:28 am

So sad for Novak, feel a bit hard done for him, it just seems like he is a little snake bitten this year when he was untouchable last year. Net chord on break point in the 5th, playing in windstorm, rain at french open when he was winning, rain forcing his semi indoors against Roger and now to lose this match. The close sets and matches he was winning against his biggest rivals he is now losing this season.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:29 am

Now Sir Alex can get back to the business of managing one of England's most successful clubs. I hope the jet lag does not affect him too much with a match coming up this weekend.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:31 am

Goodbye I'm off to bed.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:32 am

I know that nobody seriously compares an Olympic Gold to a Slam victory - but if there was ever any doubt that was resolved firmly and clearly this evening I think.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:33 am

socal1976 wrote:So sad for Novak, feel a bit hard done for him, it just seems like he is a little snake bitten this year when he was untouchable last year. Net chord on break point in the 5th, playing in windstorm, rain at french open when he was winning, rain forcing his semi indoors against Roger and now to lose this match. The close sets and matches he was winning against his biggest rivals he is now losing this season.

I do feel for Novak although I do remember last year saying that in men's open era history (in fact all of tennis history) that no player has gone from winning 3 slams one year to following it up with the same number the following year or even 2 except for a certain man called Federer. It does kind of show how unique and dominant Fed was to achieve it and how difficult it is to do in the first place. I did have my doubts and thought Novak would win win 2 (both hardcourt slams) but in the end, it was only one.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:34 am

What a fantastic victory by Andy Murray!

He's got that monkey of his back 'Best guy without a Major'

I've all ways thought Andy was maybe more gifted than Djokovic. He's finally lived up to his potential.

I hope he goes on to win the WTF, as I'm not sure if any one has ever won the Olympic Gold, US Open and WTF in the same season.

I was also so impressed that Murray kept his cool even when Djokovic levelled it a 2 sets all.

Looking forward to Andy Murray getting to World Number 1 and winning Wimbledon 2013!

Congrats again Andy and all you British tennis lovers!

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:35 am

socal1976 wrote:So sad for Novak, feel a bit hard done for him, it just seems like he is a little snake bitten this year when he was untouchable last year. Net chord on break point in the 5th, playing in windstorm, rain at french open when he was winning, rain forcing his semi indoors against Roger and now to lose this match. The close sets and matches he was winning against his biggest rivals he is now losing this season.
Sorry but if it wasn't for the rain storm at Roland Garros, Djokovic was getting hammered by Nadal.

Djokovic would've lost in straight sets with the rain storm.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:36 am

No one had won Olympic Gold and the US Open in the same season so the WTF is redundant.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:36 am

luciusmann wrote:
banbrotam wrote:For the first time in my 50 and one third years. I'm utterly speechless!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A very mature victory as he had the courage to use the latter part of the 4th set to prepare for the 5th - and how it worked

Fully deserved, but well done to Nole and as I've stated several times these two can dominate for the next few years

It's very touching to think of these two who when they were in their early teens used to talk about days like this and imagine what it was like

It was strange, I think this Murray victory in 5 sets will now show other players that going to a 5th set with Novak doesn't mean he will win. I was very sure that Murray lost the match when it was pushed to 5 sets but he really responded in such a terrific fashion, even if the breaks of serve were rather abundant. It is ironic that with this victory, we won't be able to see how Murray now deals with Nadal in the future because I'm sure this victory will improve his performance against Nadal but we may not see if that's the case for some time. It will be interesting for the Aussie Open, I can bet Djokovic win not want Murray on his side of the draw! Not even Federer I imagine!

I just think it is extremely energy sapping, both physically and mentally, for any of the Top 4 to come back from 2 sets down when playing either Murray, Djokovic or Nadal - simply because these three seem to relish in looking down and out and then fighting back. As soon as Andy started getting back into a rhythm in the 4th set, I was fairly calm. I even said to myself that Novak serving first would be his best chance as the pressure is suddenly on the Serb

Very close though as are all their recent hard court matches - this could be a proper rivalry, two players very closely matched in ability, playing a similar game going toe to toe for the next 5 years

However, Roger and Rafa will have something to say about that!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:37 am

ryan86 wrote:No one had won Olympic Gold and the US Open in the same season so the WTF is redundant.
Something of a contrived unique achievement.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:38 am

Brilliant - so pleased for Murray and for all his loyal fans like Craig and Banbrotam - the long wait must make it so much sweeter. What a way to win it too, to have to go toe to toe with Djokovic over 5 sets - fantastic clap

And Djokovic too clap Hope 2013 is great for him.

Incredible that all four of the top guys won a slam apiece, and in ranking (at the time of major) order - that must be a record!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:39 am

No contrast though bantroban. Although I'm very pleased or Andy this isn't the match up I want to watch for the next five years.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:39 am

Aw well lucius I think Novak is still growing as a player and has been healthy this year so i don't worry about him longterm. Hell he is up in the points race so despite how awful this year has been in comparison to 2011 he did win a slam and is at worst co favorite finish year end #1. Either way great match despite the errors and windstorm but Murray really earned and deserved this slam. Funny he always said the USO was the one he really wanted to win and thought best suited his game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:40 am

No need socal. He did his bit. For me, these two are now the best in the business when they bring their 'game face'. Roger / Rafa of course can never be dismissed, but fair play to the massive strides that both players have made in the past two years, which has enabled them to catch up and overtake those two

I know Andy is still well behind Roger in the ranking points - but his improvement in just 3 months has been breathtaking. And there is more to come - the serve can get more consistent

See you later

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:42 am

F*cks sake, new standards are being set for crass questioning in this great opportunity for an interview.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:42 am

It does make for a unique arrangement for the top 4 and how the seeding for the grand slams work:

Fed loses Nadal but has always beaten Murray and beats Djokovic just over half the time

Nadal loses to Djokovic off clay usually (since late 2010) but nearly always beats Murray and Federer

Djokovic usually beats Nadal and more often Murray and just under half the time to Federer

Murray always loses to Federer and Nadal but can beat Djokovic.

Fed will not want to be paired with Nadal and Djokovic will not want to be paired with Murray for the Aussie Open....so it will make for an exciting tournament if the pairings go Fed & Murray and Nadal & Djokovic.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:44 am

bogbrush wrote:No contrast though bantroban. Although I'm very pleased or Andy this isn't the match up I want to watch for the next five years.

I see your point, but remember there's an argument to say that Andy will probably evolve further (a bit like Agassi) and become more of a short point exponent, once he's worked further on his forehand etc. But still with his better variety

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:45 am

banbrotam wrote:For me, these two are now the best in the business when they bring their 'game face'. Roger / Rafa of course can never be dismissed, but fair play to the massive strides that both players have made in the past two years, which has enabled them to catch up and overtake those two

I know Andy is still well behind Roger in the ranking points - but his improvement in just 3 months has been breathtaking. And there is more to come - the serve can get more consistent
It's an opinion, but one that only holds any water in two tournaments this year.

In the end the rankings don't lie.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:48 am

Henman Bill wrote:By the way, did anyone notice that people repeatedly said Murray used to moan a lot on court and he had to stop that negativity to win. And then Lendl came in and they said that that has been cut out.

Well he moaned more than ever in the final and still won.

Agreed. There is a lot of nonsense talked about Andy's 'negativity'. He always does it and it's part of his temperament like it was for Mac. Once he becomes a choir boy (as he was, significantly, for the first four finals) he becomes 103 in the world.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:49 am

Where's Hawkeye? Run

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:52 am

Four different winners. Top 4 win one slam each in 2012. Fantastic.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:52 am

banbrotam wrote:

No need socal. He did his bit. For me, these two are now the best in the business when they bring their 'game face'. Roger / Rafa of course can never be dismissed, but fair play to the massive strides that both players have made in the past two years, which has enabled them to catch up and overtake those two

See you later

Yes banbro of the top 4 I only see 2 of them that are not yet finished products and both of which have room for improvement. In 2010 Djokovic's serve was something like 46 or 47 on tour in hold percentage and yet he finished #3. How far has his serve come and how much better could it get? Murray as well has really solidifed his second serve and forehand. The second serve still has its moments and room for improvement. So I mean the future is pretty bright. But it seemed that fate was bit against Novak this year. Oh well I think he will be better than this in the near future.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:00 am

I can't wait to see what the haters will come out with now. Rolling Eyes

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:05 am

if each of the top four plays at their very best what would the makeup of the top four be in the rankings?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:10 am

laverfan wrote:Four different winners. Top 4 win one slam each in 2012. Fantastic.
Loving it. Finally we are seeing some real multiplayer competition at the top.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:17 am

summerblues wrote:
laverfan wrote:Four different winners. Top 4 win one slam each in 2012. Fantastic.
Loving it. Finally we are seeing some real multiplayer competition at the top.

It is interesting, the Aussie Open was Djokovic's most successful slam and he won it. RG was Nadal's most successful slam and he won it. Wimbledon was Federer's most successful slam and he won that too. The USO, unlike all the other slams had already had 4 completely different winners since 2008 (Federer, Delpo, Nadal & Djokovic) so was the most unpredictable out of all the slams and so it's not entirely surprising it throws up yet another completely different winner. There are implications for the Aussie Open though should Djokovic draw Murray.....

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:21 am

Average shots per point 6.9
3 shots or less - 125
4 or more shots - 176
Longest rally 54 shots

Match length - 294 minutes (4:54) which matches the 1988 Wilander d Lendl (Murray's coach) match at 4:54.

7:47pm US ET - What? Now a time warning? What?? "I was on the line," Djokovic said. "It was already too long," Jake Garner said.

Garner also umpired the 2009 Federer-Del Potro match. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:24 am

So so happy for Andy i think this is one of the best British triumphs and certainly Scottish in years. To win a grand slam against an ATG, in a sport where really the UK have never really been any good at is one of the great achievements. For me a nailed on SPOTY, olympic Gold and silver and the US OPEN CHAMPION 2012! magnificent!

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:54 am

Its strange, but I feel more relief than happiness much like I feel Andy was looking. Despite the fact he's lost 4 slam finals, looking like he was going to lose from 2 sets up was something else entirely. He was so disorientated at the end, did anyone else see him forget his trophy with the interview with sky? I dont think he's all there right now

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:55 am

Great year indeed for british sport. He is now already the greatest living legend in british tennis history.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:56 am

It was an oddly emotionless victory as if he was stunned and really didn't know how to feel and react.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:40 am

Or he was just knackered. Very Happy

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:07 am

Or just not an idiot who engages in mindless histrionics.

I thought it was a very intelligent reaction.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:10 am

Have just seen the score. Wow. Perhaps the tennis gods are making Novak pay for that infamous shot last year. HM Murdoch leave that whiskey bottle alone! I suppose this now make Murray an all time great?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:16 am

No Hawkeye I think he needs one or two more after this one before he becomes a great. I think you need two before we even think about the discussion, but it isn't just a raw slam count you look at the totality of a player's accomplishments in the game. . But I agree with you on Novak he has ran into a bit of bad luck, near misses that where clipping the line, today he had the wind and a bad net chord on break point in the fifth. But the better player won some of the breaks in close matches and sets that went for him last year are going the other way. Plus he rarely has touched 5th or 6th gear this year, it comes in too brief of bursts to lift the big trophies as often as he should.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:27 am

is Murray now the all-time best player to have won only 1 Slam?
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:30 am

socal1976. Maybe you should leave that whiskey bottle alone too (or that metaphorical whiskey bottle) Things happen. One match doesn't define a career. Or at least one match doesn't define a career once a player has achieved as much as Novak. You should look at the bigger picture. Everyone gets swayed this way and that way like the wind...

prostaff85

probably. Ha ha!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:37 am

prostaff85 wrote:is Murray now the all-time best player to have won only 1 Slam?

In the modern open era clearly the best one slam winner without any question I would say he is already better than most of the two slam guys as well, maybe all of them.

Hawkeye, if I am drunk and posting I always tell people because I think it is funny, sorry not drunk. It isn't about one match that defines a career he has 20 plus titles, a gold medal and loads of masters titles and lots of big wins against three of the best all time. You guys are trying to be funny but actually it is the truth, without question the best one slam winner ever.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:43 am

Do I hear a congratulations from hawkeye? Even a distinctly chilly one through gritted teeth?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:44 am

Not much of congratulations from our esteemed friend Hawkeye.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:49 am

Just want to say, well done Andy Murray. Fantastic performance to outlast Djokovic through 5 sets.. clap He just has to keep his feet grounded and he will win many more Grand Slams.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:58 am

Laugh Were you seriously expecting congratulations from Hawkeye?? I'm sure she is currently trying to work out a way that it doesn't count Rolling Eyes

Obviously very very happy for Murray Yahoo. It was a close match, could so easily have gone to Djokovic.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:01 am

carrieg4 wrote: Laugh Were you seriously expecting congratulations from Hawkeye?? I'm sure she is currently trying to work out a way that it doesn't count Rolling Eyes

Obviously very very happy for Murray Yahoo. It was a close match, could so easily have gone to Djokovic.

Enjoy it carrie it was a long time coming Murray and his fans deserve it. The curse is over it seems. Maybe know there will be sunshine in britain during the summer time. Ok just kidding.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:06 am

socal1976 wrote:Enjoy it carrie it was a long time coming Murray and his fans deserve it. The curse is over it seems. Maybe know there will be sunshine in britain during the summer time. Ok just kidding.

Thanks Socal Very Happy

Sunshine in Britain?? That's just crazy talk Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next