The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Super Rugby Season

+31
ChequeredJersey
emack2
fa0019
Gunner
toml
chewed_mintie
CraigS1874
aucklandlaurie
Hood83
butterfingers
George Carlin
yappysnap
Mr Fishpaste
Taylorman
Biltong
kingraf
blackcanelion
westisbest
nathan
Ozzy3213
BamBam
boomeranga
Welly
cdm86
The Saint
Rugby Fan
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
nganboy
Pal Joey
kiakahaaotearoa
35 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 9 Empty 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 28 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

The place for all things Super Rugby.  

Here we can discuss the latest team news, results, upcoming fixtures, referees performances, crowd behaviour, the cheerleaders....

George & Canelion: I've converted your Round 3 and Round 6 threads into the "super" Super Rugby Thread. A few others included in there too.

Check the links below for fixtures, results and the table.

2014 Table

2014 Results

Kiwi  Springbok  Wallaby

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 1:25 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Round 10 Fixtures & Results added.)

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 9 Empty Re: 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by doctor_grey Sat 28 Feb 2015, 1:14 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Ruck me that was poor from Canterbury.

I wonder how much World Cup timing is contributing to this and how much Hot Toddy is a lemon of a coach. I suspect both in equal measure.

Of course early days yet and every time I call for Blackadder's head, the team come back and look back to their best only to lose out to a team in the semis because they don't have a home game.

But tonight was embarrassing. Well done to the Chiefs and thank goodness the cricket went our way as these kinds of results can really ruin a man's weekend.  
I am only up to the 50 minute mark (I do know he final score).  Though the score is only 16-25 now, it is pretty clear Chiefs are much better today.  Canterbury seem sloppy with their attack and surprisingly weak at the breakdown.  Doesn't seem to be a problem with Slade per se, but attack is slow and they don't seem to have ideas how to get through the Chiefs defense.  Plus sloppy mistakes.  Un-Crusader like.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 08 Mar 2015, 2:27 pm

Just wanna chuck in a quiet fist pump for the Leeus first win of the season. In NZ too
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 14 Mar 2015, 11:28 am

Turning point for the Highlanders in their match against the Waratahs came when Fekitoa rushed up on Folau to tackle him, managed to strip the ball while upright, and then sent it wide to Naholo who scorched past two defenders for a try.

That was some play, and the Highlanders never looked back, despite a late Waratahs rally.

Meanwhile, the Reds looked dreadful again.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 14 Mar 2015, 12:33 pm

Why has Ma'a Nonu played for just about every (almost) franchise in New Zealand?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Mar 2015, 9:49 pm

I think Mark Hammet is probably the reason Saint. He had too much character for Hammet's droll Cantabrian style. Can't recall why he went to the Highlanders from the Blues but Kirwan was not happy when he left in 2013. Recall he was a flop at the Highlanders and wanted out for 2014. Hammett was still at the Canes so he had to go back to Auckland last year. I think he always wanted to play in Wellington as that's where his family and home is. When Hammet got the boot from the Canes he was straight back to the Canes for this year. Doubt he'll play for any other Super franchise if he has his wish. Think that's how it went. He's just played for 3 teams and it was forced on him by Hammett to move in the first place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Mar 2015, 9:55 pm

Anyone see the Chiefs v Stormers game? Some brilliant heads up play by the Chiefs. Some great handling skills on show and some brilliant tries. Watch the highlights if you can.

Last edited by ebop on Sun 15 Mar 2015, 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 14 Mar 2015, 10:10 pm

ebop was that a Nonu thing, or more of a Hammett thing? Interested to know, as he didn't really reach the end of his 'probationary period' when coaching in Wales this year? I thought he was decent and put all the blame on the players.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm

Probably a bit of both I think Saint.

A couple of high profile players were let go by Hammett, Nonu and Hore were the ones I remember. Can't recall others. I think the gist of it was that Nonu and Hore had too much influence on the team and were seen as 'disruptive' by him and Hammett clearly wanted to stamp his authority. Nonu is a bit of a joker and I can imagine Hore doesn't mince his words. In hindsight, Hammett didn't seem a good fit at the Canes as they're a loosey goosey flair type team whilst Hammet seems to coach a more rigid style.

I'm speculating here. But wouldn't have been surprised if Nonu and Hore didn't like the new direction that Hammett brought and they let him know and that created some disharmony within the camp. So Hammett gave them the flick. Thing is now Hammett's gone, the Canes seem to be reinvigorated and have started the season very well and have played some exciting rugby again. The general consensus is that Hammett did not do well at the Canes.

Hopefully Blackcanelion chips in as the Canes is his team and he'll give a better and more accurate account.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 15 Mar 2015, 10:32 pm

ebop wrote:Probably a bit of both I think Saint.

A couple of high profile players were let go by Hammett, Nonu and Hore were the ones I remember. Can't recall others. I think the gist of it was that Nonu and Hore had too much influence on the team and were seen as 'disruptive' by him and Hammett clearly wanted to stamp his authority.  Nonu is a bit of a joker and I can imagine Hore doesn't mince his words. In hindsight, Hammett didn't seem a good fit at the Canes as they're a loosey goosey flair type team whilst Hammet seems to coach a more rigid style.

I'm speculating here. But wouldn't have been surprised if Nonu and Hore didn't like the new direction that Hammett brought and they let him know and that created some disharmony within the camp. So Hammett gave them the flick. Thing is now Hammett's gone, the Canes seem to be reinvigorated and have started the season very well and have played some exciting rugby again. The general consensus is that Hammett did not do well at the Canes.

Hopefully Blackcanelion chips in as the Canes is his team and he'll give a better and more accurate account.

EBOP, My takes the same as yours. Hammett seems like a while ago now and I can't remember if I talked to anyone with inside knowledge (everyone's knows someone connected to the canes in Wellington). It sounds like a culture clash.

Hammett had his way of doing things, so players Nonu and Weepu were on the outer. From memory there was an argument in the media that they weren't giving it there all at super rugby level. Then there was the argument that Hammett was trying to impose a Crusaders culture on the Hurricanes and it wasn't maybe the best option and that he might have been a bit autocratic.

All I know is it's always hard as a Canes fan. Great backs and loosies and a dodgy tight V describes a lot of our sides. Just savouring the moment, keeping my head down and hoping this run keeps going and it doesn't all turn to custard (which is what I half expect).

On a different note we have an under 20 side this year, as do the Blues. I think we play them this year. It should be interesting to see what if any effect this has on the retaining and developing talent in the region (I know the Wellington clubs were frustrated with a a lack of a pathway). I think the Chiefs, Crusaders and Highlanders will follow at some point. I think the competition from league, Europe and Australia for young players has forced the issue.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 16 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Sounds good that NZ franchises are having U20 teams, I think that'll help the Baby Blacks become the world No.1 again.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Mar 2015, 6:44 am

ebop wrote:Anyone see the Chiefs v Stormers game? Some brilliant heads up play by the Chiefs. Some great handling skills on show and some brilliant tries. Watch the highlights if you can.

Yes, I watched this and was blown away by the speed and accuracy of the Chiefs' backline play.

Whatever they pay Sonny Bill, it's worth it. The guy has to be the perfect physique and skillset for the centre position.

I wonder how much Aaron Cruden is on? I would consider cashing in my kids' education fund to bring him to Glasgow.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 21 Mar 2015, 10:01 am

Is Carter back? Very Happy

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 21 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

Yes and so it seems the Crusaders as well, spanking the Cheetahs in the second half.

But this weekend belongs to Wellington and who gives a ruck about the S15. Smile

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 21 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm

Coming back from 0-13 down against the Rebels took a lot, but we've got two wins in the Antipodes now. One more and I'll be ear to ear.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

3 red cards in the Chiefs v Sharks game. Probably only should have been 1 red card for Bismarck for a kick to the head. Horrible conditions, horrible game, but respect to the Sharks for winning with 2 men down. Cruden's continued kicking wobbles is a bit of a concern for AB fans although it was stormy conditions today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sat 21 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm

ebop wrote:3 red cards in the Chiefs v Sharks game. Probably only should have been 1 red card for Bismarck for a kick to the head. Horrible conditions, horrible game, but respect to the Sharks for winning with 2 men down. Cruden's continued kicking wobbles is a bit of a concern for AB fans although it was stormy conditions today.

I think the first two were definite reds, the third...well there was a slight case for a yellow instead, but I don't think Steyn can feel hard done by for getting a red.

I think the Chiefs lost the game as much as the Sharks won it. The Chiefs over-estimated their ability to play running rugby during a monsoon!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 24 Mar 2015, 11:11 pm

Hello chaps been away awhile.
I've got my season tickets for the Canes as per usual. Amazing start to the season for them. Lots of upsets so far this year.
Crusaders are struggling in my opinion. Highlanders are outplaying themselves. Chiefs are good but not 100% consistent and Blues are just sad.
Waratahs as the defending champs are up and down and I would thought Brumbies were the best Aus side until last weekend.
I guess its the Stormers for SA but who knows if the Sharks can get it together - my guess is no.
I'll be at the stadium on Friday (assuming I get over my Flu). We've got the Rebels who had that incredible win over the Crusaders first up but have since settled into the middle of the pack.
So Canes on fire at their Wellington home for the first time against an okay but not great Aus side. Almost definitely going to lose.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:22 am

Only just watched the game but that must have been some kind of record for Crusaders against the Sharks! Managing to get three players binned in one game is tough, but for all 3 to be sent off within about 3 minutes of each other and all for seperate events is a special kind of stupid!

Still impressive attack from them and Dagg just keeps getting better and better, what the hell is wrong with the Sharks though?! When Matt Stevens comes on and looks your best player (or at least the most up for it) that is bad news.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 12 Apr 2015, 3:45 am

yappysnap wrote:Only just watched the game but that must have been some kind of record for Crusaders against the Sharks! Managing to get three players binned in one game is tough, but for all 3 to be sent off within about 3 minutes of each other and all for seperate events is a special kind of stupid!

Still impressive attack from them and Dagg just keeps getting better and better, what the hell is wrong with the Sharks though?! When Matt Stevens comes on and looks your best player (or at least the most up for it) that is bad news.

yes but it was Deysels red that was worse. With 3 yellows on the Canes, the Sharks hot on attack with a penalty in front 28-3 down... Deysel red cards himself... Doh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 12 Apr 2015, 7:12 am

yappysnap wrote:Only just watched the game but that must have been some kind of record for Crusaders against the Sharks! Managing to get three players binned in one game is tough, but for all 3 to be sent off within about 3 minutes of each other and all for seperate events is a special kind of stupid!

Strange how things change in a week.  Crusaders looked fantastic the other week, but were mistake machines at home against Highlanders.  And being good and proper guests, the Highlanders took advantage of enough mistakes on offer to get the W.  Odd game, but the longer it went on, the more mistakes the Crusaders seemed to commit.  Methinks they will be having a bit of an uncomfortable week in practice coming up.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 12 Apr 2015, 11:53 am

Reckon we're on the march to that maiden SXV trophy. Lionel Mapoe is bursting at that bok door
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 18 Apr 2015, 7:16 am

Peculiar game as the Hurricanes lose to the Waratahs. Hurricanes looked like they could score at will at one point. Savea broke free for a clear run to the tryline but was lazy dotting the ball down and a TMO review showed that he dropped it.

After letting in a couple of Waratahs tries, the Hurricanes got back to lead 19-12 but, with the first half up, they tried to run back turnover ball and ended up giving away an interception try. A half-time scoreline which might have read 26-12, or even 33-12 if that last move had come off, ended up tied at 19-19.

The Waratahs scored next to get a try bonus point and then added a penalty to make it 19-29. At this stage, you could see the Hurricanes beginning to think "I don't know how, but we might lose this". They managed to get it back to 24-29 but, overall, their handling went to bits as they tried to force plays and the Waratahs kicked the ball out for full time after a scrum near the Hurricanes line.

(for some reason, I kept calling the Hurricanes the Highlanders when I first wrote this)

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 11 May 2015, 6:33 pm

Can anyone come up with a more impressive forward solo try? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lrRhNLqWk

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 May 2015, 6:58 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Can anyone come up with a more impressive forward solo try? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lrRhNLqWk
Jesus - that was amazing.

Although I am a sucker for a good prop try Very Happy :

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 12 May 2015, 1:35 pm

Haha the film Ghostbusters comes to mind watching that GC. Do like a good prop try myself as well. Wasn't there some golden oldie match against Australia where Steve Thompson ran the length of the field and looked a lot more out of puff? Heart attack would be a closer description.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 May 2015, 1:58 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Haha the film Ghostbusters comes to mind watching that GC. Do like a good prop try myself as well. Wasn't there some golden oldie match against Australia where Steve Thompson ran the length of the field and looked a lot more out of puff? Heart attack would be a closer description.
Oh yes:

The touch judge jogging along next to him is what makes that gold.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 12 May 2015, 10:07 pm

Haha oxygen on at the end and loved the drop to the knees and the belly flop over the tryline. Priceless.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 May 2015, 11:24 am

Getting close to halftime of the Waratahs-Crusaders match. Very entertaining match.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 May 2015, 6:05 pm

Lions are on the periphery for the wildcard qualification. Mapoe, Jantjies, de Klerk and Whiteley deserve bok nods this year
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 21 Jun 2015, 8:22 am

Semis: Home team first.

Hurricanes v Brumbies.
Warratahs v Highlanders.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 27 Jun 2015, 12:19 pm

I really don't rate Joubert, he always seems to over-react. I can't remember the last game I saw him ref where there wasn't controversy. That said, quite wan't the Highlanders to win so meh!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 27 Jun 2015, 12:49 pm

How good is Aaron Smith though? Ridiculously good.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 27 Jun 2015, 10:21 pm

Hood83 wrote:I really don't rate Joubert, he always seems to over-react. I can't remember the last game I saw him ref where there wasn't controversy. That said, quite wan't the Highlanders to win so meh!

Really? There are other contributing reasons for controversy besides the Referee. When he awarded the penalty try and then sin binned Potgieter to me seemed 'bang on".

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 27 Jun 2015, 10:23 pm

Anyway Final:

Hurricanes v Highlanders.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:51 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Hood83 wrote:I really don't rate Joubert, he always seems to over-react. I can't remember the last game I saw him ref where there wasn't controversy. That said, quite wan't the Highlanders to win so meh!

Really? There are other contributing  reasons for controversy besides the Referee. When he awarded the penalty try and then sin binned Potgieter to me seemed 'bang on".

The ruling is consistent with some other rulings in this years Super XV (e.g. the no arm tackle on Savea in the Canes game against the Chiefs in New Plymouth(?). I think the games changed in the last few weeks. World Rugby has come down hard on anything high, even if it starts low. We saw this in the last two rounds of the the under 20 world cup. The refs don't always see them or judge them (e.g. several English offenses in the final, or Naholo on Saturday), but you go high in a tackle, or around the head in a ruck or maul you're taking a risk. I think it's good for the game in the long run. I think the issue in terms of scoring is that Potgeiters tackle prevents him from reaching out 20mm to score, a legal grip wouldn't have prevented it (i.e. hands below the shoulders). Technically correct, but could have gone the otherway.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 12:41 pm

AND I'm going to be at the final!!
I have only ever missed one Hurricanes match at Wellington (not including while I was overseas) so its been a long wait to be in a final.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:16 pm

Massively happy to see this year's two best sides make the final. Makes it even better when they're both kiwi sides and one of them is my team!

C'mon Hurricanes!!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Jun 2015, 3:41 pm

People keep banging on about the Highlanders "over-achieving".
Is that really true?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 29 Jun 2015, 4:02 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Really? There are other contributing  reasons for controversy besides the Referee. When he awarded the penalty try and then sin binned Potgieter to me seemed 'bang on".

Think it was harsh in that he was trying to wrap his arms, from the feedback from Joubert he didn't take in the whole situation just the contact and not the intent

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 01 Jul 2015, 7:50 am

nganboy wrote:AND I'm going to be at the final!!
I have only ever missed one Hurricanes match at Wellington (not including while I was overseas) so its been a long wait to be in a final.

I'm not, and I'm gutted. $%$# Ticketec. Enjoy....

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 04 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

Well done Highlanders.............

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 04 Jul 2015, 12:13 pm

Thats the best Rugby Union game Ive seen this year, in either hemisphere.Skill, accuracy,power,very few stoppages,good tactics and game plan and all played at frantic pace, the 80 minutes just flew.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 04 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

Didn't expect Canes to lose that.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

Yeah laurie, I'd probably go so far as to say that was the best rugby final I can remember. No inhibitions from either side. They just played with freedom and pretty good accuracy considering the pace the game was played. Bit of a classic. Stoked for the highlanders. Peyper did a great job to, didn't even notice him.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 05 Jul 2015, 10:51 am

JP is the best southern hemisphere referee in my view - the guy is smart, has a sense of humour and keeps all players onside.

Am absolutely delighted for the Highlanders - to win the whole thing without a single All Black forward in their squad is a testament to the team's unity. Great for the sport when a team is greater than the sum of its parts. No b0llocks - they just worked out how to get the job done and they did it because they just really, really wanted to and believed that they could.

That's what won Glasgow the Pro 12 (Irish/Welsh/Scottish/Italian pro league) this year.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 05 Jul 2015, 7:08 pm

I'd like to say the same about the English league, but I'd be lying. Our final was all about the

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

Bass?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 05 Jul 2015, 11:06 pm

Not a regular viewer of S15 these days, but was it not just last season or the season before that where Highlanders were struggling to win a game? Thorn and Nonu were in the team then I believe? NZ rugby depth must be as great as it was in 2004-07, the only thing that can stop them is a choke! But that's unlikely.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9