The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TMOs - Time to scrap ?

3 posters

Go down

TMOs

TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_lcap0%TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_lcap14%TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_lcap86%TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_rcap 86% 
[ 6 ]
TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_lcap0%TMOs - Time to scrap ? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

TMOs - Time to scrap ? Empty TMOs - Time to scrap ?

Post by No9 Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 14:13

There has been some really bad decisions made by TMOs recently, which have had massive impacts in the results as well as impacting off field decisions, such as playing the part in the demise of coaches. I will not name individuals here for obvious reasons.

However, we are now in a position where the TMO is playing a bigger and bigger part in the game result, as they are being consulted on far more points than the try, and it does appear that more of the "lesser able" referees are going to the TMO each and every time rather than sticking to their own conviction.

However, the TMO, as I understand it, is not a standard part of the game rules. Not all games have to have a TMO, the standard of the TMOs ability doesn't have to be verified and the number of camera angles available to the TMO is down to the broadcaster. The TMO doesn't have to be independent, yet their decision plays a big part in the games outcome...

I've been a fan of the TMO up to this season, as I saw it as clarification on decisions that the referee (or the linesmen) cant see clearly. But surely that only works if the TMO is competent and completely un-biased, which on recent events in Italy you have to question that.

Before the TMO we had some calls that would not have been upheld today with the TMO (or would they). Such as the forward pass from Derek Quinnell to Gareth Edwards allowing him to score "The greatest try ever scored" or the 78 Andy Haden "dive" giving the All Blacks the winning penalty.

Here's the clips, you play TMO and give a decision...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA (around 0:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4iOOjOWL4 (around 4:40)

But my point is that "to err is human", so for the TMO to make some really bad calls, is it time to scrap the TMO and go back to the ref's decision and live by it.

Or, should we strengthen the TMO's role, but start having consistency across the game, where all games of a certain class must have a TMO with a minimum number of cameras and maybe default positions.

I'm not sure and in two minds, but your thoughts are appreciated...

On the 2 clips I posted, my calls would have been...

1. Gareth BaaBaa - No try, forward pass...
2. Haden - no dive play on... If using today's rules, he would have seen yellow for cynical play.

No9

Back to top Go down

TMOs - Time to scrap ? Empty Re: TMOs - Time to scrap ?

Post by VinceWLB Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 14:33

Sometimes it feels like they asked the 1st guy on the street to do the job..
I have seen terrible decisions like in the Zebre-Blues game you are insinuating that i never thought would happen when i first heard about TMOs.

TMO decisions shouldn't led to subjectivity which sadly has been the case so i for one wouldn't mind if it was scrapped.

I would add another ref on the field to replace them so each side of the scrum can be reffed properly.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 14:55

Our Nige and Derek comedy gold;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rG-vYJc1jw

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down