The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The danger of jumping

+66
nathan
dummy_half
ME-109
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ReadBetweenthePosts
PenfroPete
No 7&1/2
Feckless Rogue
InBODWeTrust
Barney McGrew did it
Bluedragon
Breadvan
jelly
Toohey
jbeadlesbigrighthand
GunsGerms
fa0019
lostinwales
Jimpy
HammerofThunor
blackcanelion
Scrumpy
rodders
geoff998rugby
englishborn
Portnoy's Complaint
TJ
marty2086
Rory_Gallagher
Poorfour
whocares
kingjohn7
No9
broadlandboy
logie28
quinsforever
LeinsterFan4life
kunu
Cyril
Margin_Walker
Thomond
kiakahaaotearoa
IanBru
beshocked
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
MrsP
George Carlin
Nachos Jones
Pete330v2
Ozzy3213
HongKongCherry
Biltong
Notch
aucklandlaurie
bedfordwelsh
toml
joe.reeves.33
Rugby Fan
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
Jhamer25
profitius
BigGee
VinceWLB
clivemcl
70 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

What should the punishment have been?

The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_lcap45%The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 50 ]
The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_lcap40%The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 45 ]
The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_lcap13%The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 14 ]
The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_lcap2%The danger of jumping - Page 19 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 112

Poll closed

The danger of jumping - Page 19 Empty The danger of jumping

Post by clivemcl Sun 06 Apr 2014, 12:27 am

First topic message reminder :

Lets leave the match thread and talk about this particular scenario by itself.

Here's my take on it.

In days gone by, everybody stayed on the ground to catch balls.

Then one day somebody decided to jump to make catches - here's the benefits.

- You get the ball before the opposition player who is still on the ground
- (and this came later) IF they tackle you, they are penalised.

So, the tackle in the air rule was created because obviously it can lead to very serious injury.

But, why didn't they just outlaw jumping instead? Does that sound boring? Maybe, but its safe. We still aren't allowed to jump tackles as far as I know - for similar reasons.

The chasing team -  will want to run as fast as they can to challange for the kicked ball. Whilst running fast, they need to both watch the ball, and keep an eye on who they will be challenging for the ball.
The defending team - doesn't have to run too fast, more time, and the protection of the rules if they are in the air.

What's the problem?

If the defending team player does not jump, and the attacking player does - we get boots, hip, knees in the face.
If the attacking player does not jump, but the defender does - the defender gets taken out by the other players upper body.

In this particular case, I simply cannot see why Jared Payne who is running full tilt in order to get underneath the ball can be expected to be responsible for a player who left the ground when he was only meters away.

a) he does not HAVE TO jump
b) he did not have enough time to react
c) he didn't see Goode had jumped anyway
d) he was completely focused on catching a ball
e) a player MUST accept the risk involved if they jump into the air in a contact sport

Ultimately, what's the message? What does the IRB want to say to players in these situations?

a) don't try to get under a ball?
b) ALWAYS jump, the other guy probably will
c) don't run so fast when you are chasing kicks

A few other ponderings -
a) if Payne had got injured, would he still have seen red
b) If Goode hadn't been injured would he have seen red

Discuss

Last edited by clivemcl on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 8:38 am; edited 2 times in total

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

The danger of jumping - Page 19 Empty Re: The danger of jumping

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Apr 2014, 5:53 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:The only way to discover if a consensus is reached will be by starting a new poll.

That's very true. You want to start one?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 10 Apr 2014, 6:06 pm

How about this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Poll
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 10 Apr 2014, 6:15 pm

A football referee

"Born 29 July 1963 (age 50) Tring, Hertfordshire, England
Other occupation Television pundit, newspaper columnist"

Best not.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 10 Apr 2014, 6:59 pm

actually a good thread after all. have seen several posters actually change their views slightly over time since the event happened, as they incorporate new information such as actual IRB laws, etc, etc. In the calm light of day, it's obvious that a red could have fairly (if harshly but irrelevantly from the perspective of it being 4th minute) been awarded, and it's also obvious that some other referees might have equally validly awarded a yellow only.

One thing is for certain. Given the predilection of NZ and SA to kick chase the ball (both teams have the highest kick chase percentage in the AIs), this whole issue is going to raise its head again and again as we approach RWC2015, and i bet will be an area, like tip-tackles in 2011, that the IRB decides to make a priority and issue clarifying guidance and clear instructions to referees. Especially with the use of TMOs nowadays, there isn't really any excuse for inconsistency from referees. Whatever the law is and how the IRB wants it applied should be the case, and should be clearly understood by refs, coaches and players alike.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 10 Apr 2014, 7:06 pm

For example. I would favour an outcome-based interpretation (in conjunction with the current rules) for this jumping area, where any player in the air who gets interfered with by an opposition player who is reckless or deliberate, which results in the airborne player being knocked out or having concussion, is a straight red. Assessment to be done by match doctor.

If the player lands on his head but isnt knocked out or concussed then the refs can choose to award a red anyway, but they have the option of it being a yellow.

obviously there would be no penalty at all if both players genuinely compete fairly for the ball. and there would also be no penalty at all (in fact penalty against the jumper if he makes contact with knee or foot on head for example) if the jumper leaps into and goes flying over a stationary player who is holding his ground.

anyway, enjoyed catching up on the thread.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu 10 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm

Don't want to flog a dead horse, but Anyone else watching rugby club and see Nigel Owens not really talk about the red card? I'd have thought if he agreed he would have back his fellow referee up. Pure speculation really just thought it was interesting!

Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 10 Apr 2014, 9:33 pm

Maddog wrote:Don't want to flog a dead horse, but Anyone else watching rugby club and see Nigel Owens not really talk about the red card? I'd have thought if he agreed he would have back his fellow referee up. Pure speculation really just thought it was interesting!
u need to follow the debate. IRB regs preclude refs from commenting on the decisions of other refs. at all. was quoted about 5 pages back.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 10 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Maddog wrote:Don't want to flog a dead horse, but Anyone else watching rugby club and see Nigel Owens not really talk about the red card? I'd have thought if he agreed he would have back his fellow referee up. Pure speculation really just thought it was interesting!
u need to follow the debate. IRB regs preclude refs from commenting on the decisions of other refs. at all. was quoted about 5 pages back.

To be honest, I can fully respect why any sane person would not want to read back through the last five pages.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 10 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm

Laugh Laugh 

actually, reading the last 5 pages cracked me up this evening, having not posted since yesterday early evening. was comedy gold.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 11 Apr 2014, 8:34 am

Notch wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Notch wrote:I think he will win a number of caps and be at the next World Cup. I also think the position he'll play will be outside centre not fullback

Can he play outside centre for Ireland and stay at Ulster?

I hope so. I envisage that the IRFU will twist our arm to play him there more often. Then problem is we don't have any other fullbacks as good.

Or quite as reckless.....  Run 

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 11 Apr 2014, 1:20 pm

Poorfour wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
Sorry Poorfour but you are the one playing semantics. You suggest that the award of a penalty can not take into account the circumstances it happened in and then contradict yourself by saying that "materiality" allows the referee to do exactly that. I am not familiar with referee speak and such fabricated words obviously are designed for inner circle use only.

This isn't an exercise in debating one-up-man-ship, it is a discussion about the Law and what it is intended to do in relation to player safety. As far as I can see the only outcome from this whole episode is for coaches to tell their players to always jump when taking the high ball to avoid the wrath of the referee. If a player wants to catch a high ball he will have to run to get in the right place and keep his eyes on it in order to catch it - therefore he should always jump in case he has missed a player in his blindspot.

So the Law and this ruling encourages players to run and jump, and therefore there will be more one on one aerial collisions. The result is that two players rather than one could be falling from a height and therefore the risk of injury is doubled. The ruling today in my view could lead to more injuries rather than less and that is why the Law is not fit for purpose.

As for a Law change, that would require the acceptance that there is a problem first, before debating how it can be improved.

OK, giving you the benefit of the doubt, we may have been using the word "context" differently. "Context", to me, is very broad term meaning "anything and everything that might be relevant to the event." In particular, it includes what led up to the event. "Materiality" is narrow and specific: "did this event have any bearing on fairness or safety", which is different from "context" in my mind and even different from "outcome" (e.g. a no-arm tackle might not lead to an injury, but it is still dangerous and illegal).

I am sorry if "Materiality" isn't a word you're familiar with. It is, as the Simpsons would have it, perfectly cromulent where I come from. As far as I can tell it's a pretty common legal concept that's also gained wide currency in business. It's also not that hard to work out what it means from the derivation. Given that it's introduced as a refereeing concept in the Entry Level Referee Award, which is the basic training that every ref does to get their whistle and cards (literally - in England you are supplied with both as part of the course), it's not exactly exclusive to some secret brotherhood of elite referees.

As far as I can see, the outcome from this episode is far less dramatic. I was going to say that "Coaches will remind players to expect an opposition jumper in the air when they chase a ball and to allow for that if they decide not to jump", but actually that's stupid. Players already know this. So one of the Ulster coaches will slap Jared Payne round the head and tell him to be a bit more careful next time, he'll try to remember that, and in a few weeks' time everyone will start to forget this. If we are lucky, referees will be reminded to apply the laws and directives.

And you know what? In most cases two players WILL jump for the ball. Just like they did after most contested kicks last week, and the week before. And there will be fewer injuries, not more, because players in the air are decelerating and their centres of gravity are at about the same height. In the vast majority of times where there is contact, both of them will land feet downwards, because physics.

The reason we've had to debate this in such detail is that it's a rare event, but it's not the rugby equivalent of the Derek Bentley case. I don't accept that the law needs to be changed, because, imperfect as it is, I can see why it has been defined that way and I am happy that it generally works the right way, and that it did so in this case. I'd be open to debating positive suggestions for how it could be improved, though.

I will say - Coaches will remind players to expect an opposition jumper in the air even if they can't see them when they chase a ball and therefore to always jump, because that's the only sensible insurance against getting carded for an accident. Players already know this, but they don't always jump because it is faster and more intuitive to catch the ball on the ground. If we are lucky, referees will apply the laws and directives using the leeway they are given through materiality.

And you know what? In most cases two players don't jump for the ball because it is too far to reach, or they think someone else will jump for it or they aren't brave enough or they don't have the aerial technique. For those that do contest about half will be with one player in the air and the other on the ground. A number of those will have one player unaware of the other just like they did last week, and the week before, and serious injuries will continue to happen, because players in the air hit the ground. In the vast majority of times where there is contact, both of them will land feet downwards, unless of course they are knocked off balance through contact with another player either in the air or on the ground.

You've already given me my card, and I put my case before the hearing, but obviously nothing is going to change. So I'll get on with serving my ban from this thread!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19