The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe?

+29
emack2
Rugby Fan
No 7&1/2
quinsforever
aucklandlaurie
HammerofThunor
kiakahaaotearoa
geoff998rugby
rainbow-warrior
Scratch
Sgt_Pooly
LeinsterFan4life
Golden
bedfordwelsh
Notch
Geordie
GloriousEmpire
majesticimperialman
jimmyinthewell68
Knowsit17
fa0019
GunsGerms
Welly
chewed_mintie
blackcanelion
Taylorman
dallym
The Saint
Biltong
33 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe? Empty Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe?

Post by Guest Mon 21 Apr 2014, 9:49 pm

Warren Gatland's search for a star playmaker to orchestrate Wales’ World Cup challenge has turned to New Zealand.

And not only has Wales coach Gatland put Super 15 star Gareth Anscombe top of his shopping list but that Cardiff Blues are set to table a bid to lure the Welsh-qualified back to the Arms Park.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-targets-chiefs-star-7014342

Thoughts? I'm sure Anscombe would be a great asset for the Blues, and if the All Blacks don't want him I'm sure Wales would. But I'm usually against these kind of things.

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe? Empty Re: Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe?

Post by Biltong Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:34 am

I am assuming there are coaches running through the birth registries all over the place trying to find short term solutions to buy a RWC?

Shocking if you ask me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe? Empty Re: Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe?

Post by The Saint Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:29 am

He's better off trying Owen Williams.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:29 am

at best a back up first-five for super rugby franchises. Is that really RWC winning quality?

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:53 am

Look there are too many of these similar types of postings...Mods...can we have another section?

-International
-Club rugby,
and now...

-Players with DNA strands from their ancestors available to play for other countries 3 years from the day they first set foot in said country.

Thank you...

... Run 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:47 am

Problem is they don't all qualify after three years, some qualify before they leave the shores of their home towns.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:04 am

Biltong wrote:Problem is they don't all qualify after three years, some qualify before they leave the shores of their home towns.

Agreed. Mum's born in Wales.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:33 am

Why doesn't Gatland just swoop for his own son??? He's got more potential than Anscombe, who let's be fair, is just a good player but a bit of a journeyman. I can't see him getting in the AB's anytime soon.

Surely Bryn Gatland is more of a potential Welsh star??

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:50 am

chewed_mintie wrote:Why doesn't Gatland just swoop for his own son???  He's got more potential than Anscombe, who let's be fair, is just a good player but a bit of a journeyman.  I can't see him getting in the AB's anytime soon.

Surely Bryn Gatland is more of a potential Welsh star??

Probably dreams he'll be an AB. Bryn has only just finished school. I think he'll get a lot out of the nz system over the next few years. Even if he ends up in Europe. A few years in development squads, nz under. 20 programme, npc and super rugby will have real benefits to his game.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:15 am

It doesn't sit right with me to recruit a player like this, at least Cuthbert had spent time in Wales at University and with the 7s, and seemed to genuinely want to play for us, I might be wrong but I can't say the same for Anscombe.

Edit:

Saying that I would love him at the Blues, a WQ player who can cover 15 and 10? Exactly what we need.

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:31 am

dallym wrote:at best a back up first-five for super rugby franchises. Is that really RWC winning quality?

A back up to the All black 1/2nd choice Cruden not exactly a bad thing.

Also first choice 15.

Be a great bench option.

TBH I prefer the mum and dad thing to the grandparents rule.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

Biltong wrote:I am assuming there are coaches running through the birth registries all over the place trying to find short term solutions to buy a RWC?

Shocking if you ask me.

Is it any more shocking than posioning opposition or military style brain washing rugby boot camps (Kamp Staaldraad)?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:43 am

Welly wrote:
dallym wrote:at best a back up first-five for super rugby franchises. Is that really RWC winning quality?

A back up to the All black 1/2nd choice Cruden not exactly a bad thing.

Also first choice 15.

Be a great bench option.

TBH I prefer the mum and dad thing to the grandparents rule.

He'd be back up anywhere. At the Crusaders he'd be behind Slade and Taylor. Only the Blues might have him as first choice first five, but then again they punted him.

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:44 am

The guy is good enough for the ABs, perhaps not now but he's a decent player who with the right opportunities will grow into his FB position and will be on the verge of AB selection.

I've always rated him since his debut for the blues when he went to the Versfeld and got the points scoring record for an away team. He played in a poor blues side and was unfairly cut... only to be scooped up by the Chiefs who became the first choice 15.

He's not the answer but he's a good player.

He's too young though to throw in the ABs towel.

What is more prestigious... 50 caps for Wales or 5 caps for the ABs?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:48 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Biltong wrote:I am assuming there are coaches running through the birth registries all over the place trying to find short term solutions to buy a RWC?

Shocking if you ask me.

Is it any more shocking than posioning opposition or military style brain washing rugby boot camps (Kamp Staaldraad)?
I suppose your sensitivity to the issue of poaching brought upon you to have a come back with that one.

To answer your question the Kamp Staaldraad was a poorly conceived idea that was an absolute failure, but done with the best intentions by a misguided coach.

Shopping lists for rugby players prior to a world cup is the epitome of what is wrong with professional sport these days. It suggests that pride, tradition and honour is for sale. All the things that are core values of what sport is supposed to be.

So no, Poor old Streauli was just misguided, unlike Gatland who is desperately trying to buy a player.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:50 am

fa0019 wrote:

What is more prestigious... 50 caps for Wales or 5 caps for the ABs?

Depends on whether you count victories or just caps. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

Biltong wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Shocking if you ask me.

I suppose your sensitivity to the issue of poaching brought upon you to have a come back with that one.

To answer your question the Kamp Staaldraad was a poorly conceived idea that was an absolute failure, but done with the best intentions by a misguided coach.

Shopping lists for rugby players prior to a world cup is the epitome of what is wrong with professional sport these days. It suggests that pride, tradition and honour is for sale. All the things that are core values of what sport is supposed to be.

So no, Poor old Streauli was just misguided, unlike Gatland who is desperately trying to buy a player.

It was a joke Billtong. At Kamp Staaldraad players were forced to pump up rugby balls naked in freezing water according to some sources at gun point. You couldnt make it up.

World cups seem to bring the worst out in some unions.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:58 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Biltong wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Shocking if you ask me.

It was a joke Billtong. At Kamp Staaldraad players were forced to pump up rugby balls naked in freezing water according to some sources at gun point. You couldnt make it up.

My apologies Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:59 am

experienced nothing less on my stag do! Wink

What do they expect, team building tickling competitions with a feather duster???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:00 am

Depends what you are tickling though. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:00 am

and also who is doing the tickling. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:00 am

Biltong wrote:
My apologies Wink

No need to apologise at all.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:02 am

fa0019 wrote:experienced nothing less on my stag do! Wink

What do they expect, team building tickling competitions with a feather duster???

On your stag were you forced into a foxhole with ice cold water poured over you while god save the queen was blasted on the Tanoy?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:08 am

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:experienced nothing less on my stag do! Wink

On your stag were you forced into a foxhole with ice cold water poured over you while god save the queen was blasted on the Tanoy?

I would have wished for that at the time! Wink

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:40 am

Anscombe has always been a very talented player, I first noticed him when he helped sink Wales at the JWC from a few years ago. If you're behind Carter, Cruden, then that doesn't exactly make you just a back-up, it just means you aren't quite as good as the best in the world yet. And anyone who believes Taylor or Slade will keep him out of the ABs squad is highly delusional.

This idea though, is just poaching. I wonder if there's much truth to it? If true then what is likely to be going through Biggar, Patchell and Williams' head right now? We've handed out enough novelty caps to p*ss poor player in the past 2 years, we don't need to give out any more.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:24 pm

So what is his background? Does he have legitimate ties (i.e. Welsh parentage) or false ones (mother's/father's/grandfather's birthplace). I really don't know enough about him to offer an opinion.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:31 pm

From the article...

Gatland is anxious to solve the problem 17 months out from the 2015 World Cup and Anscombe – who played a starring role in the Chiefs lifting last year’s Super Rugby title by piling up 166 points in the tournament – could fit the bill as he qualifies for Wales through his mother Tracey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:42 pm

Doesn't elaborate though. Doesn't specify whether his mother actually is Welsh or just born in Wales. In the one case I would consider the claim legitimate and in another I wouldn't. Why should parent's or grandparent's or ancestor's birthplace determine anything about yourself?

Something tells me it repulsive opportunism by Gats, in which case I hope Anscombe tells him to eff off and keeps chipping away for a future with NZ. What sort of message does this send out to guys like Owen Williams, who are Welsh beyond contention and playing well?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:12 pm

if the guy mum is Welsh and he wants to play for Cardiff and Wales and hes good enough then why not . you can bet tho he ll suddenly get a New Zealand cap against England

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:51 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:if the guy mum is Welsh and he  wants to play for Cardiff and Wales and hes good enough then why not . you can bet tho he ll suddenly get a New Zealand cap against England

But does he want to play for Cardiff and Wales?

Or is Gatland that desperate for a good 10 for the Rugby world Cup, that he would rather poach some one from NZ who is welsh qualified through is mother. rather than rely on the likes of Owen Williams, who is Welsh through and through.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:22 pm

Anyone left who was born in the NH with aspirations of playing or coaching international rugby?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:21 pm

Gatland might've been smarter to leave that comment until after NZ's upcoming test series. With Cruden, Carter out and Weepu recovering from heart surgery, the All Blacks selectors may just drop Anscombe in for a test cap to shut out the welsh.

Anscombe should have more than enough to dispatch the poms, as he did at junior level.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:28 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Gatland might've been smarter to leave that comment until after NZ's upcoming test series. With Cruden, Carter out and Weepu recovering from heart surgery, the All Blacks selectors may just drop Anscombe in for a test cap to shut out the welsh.

Anscombe should have more than enough to dispatch the poms, as he did at junior level.

Warren Gatland swooping for Chiefs' Gareth Anscombe? 1347041234 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm

I don't think this is really a poach as he's 50% Welsh. If his Welsh heritage is that important to him, he's entitled to choose to go that way. I do think he would be foolish to go over to Wales given there is still a chance he can wear the black jersey and regional rugby in Wales is in a real state. If he gets a Welsh cap that leaves him as a persona non grata in NZ; as far as getting a contract is concerned, he'd be a foreign player. And I don't think you want to commit to playing the rest of your career in Wales unless the regions and the Union manage to come to some sort of constructive truce. The situation still seems worryingly unstable.

His dad is well placed to advise him exactly what the situation is like in Wales right now, and what the Pro12 is like really. I'd be surprised if he signed on.

Having said all that, he would be an amazing signing for the Cardiff Blues. I think a signing they can only make with the help of their Union but he would be a game changer for them.

Last edited by Notch on Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : F)
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm

a ten not just for world cup its for life

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:58 pm

50% welsh. Laugh

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:06 pm

Isn't his Mum welsh? Sorry if I've been misinformed.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm

Notch wrote:Isn't his Mum welsh? Sorry if I've been misinformed.

Thats my understanding as well so he's already qualified.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm

Notch wrote:I don't think this is really a poach as he's 50% Welsh. If his Welsh heritage is that important to him, he's entitled to choose to go that way. I do think he would be foolish to go over to Wales given there is still a chance he can wear the black jersey and regional rugby in Wales is in a real state. If he gets a Welsh cap that leaves him as a persona non grata in NZ; as far as getting a contract is concerned, he'd be a foreign player. And I don't think you want to commit to playing the rest of your career in Wales unless the regions and the Union manage to come to some sort of constructive truce. The situation still seems worryingly unstable.

His dad is well placed to advise him exactly what the situation is like in Wales right now, and what the Pro12 is like really. I'd be surprised if he signed on.

Having said all that, he would be an amazing signing for the Cardiff Blues. I think a signing they can only make with the help of their Union but he would be a game changer for them.

Sure he could just by pass the Welsh regions and just go straight ahead and sign for a French team. Wont harm his Welsh chances and he'll end up there sooner or later anyway weather he chooses Wales or NZ.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:23 pm

My mother was Scottish, but I'm not 50% Scotch.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:31 pm

A Scotch kiwi? Hmmmm doesnt sound too nice

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:31 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:

Well thats up to you, really. Someone else in the same boat might feel completely differently about the whole thing. Ascribe a different level of importance to their heritage. Why is it for us to judge how important it is to them?

P.S. If your mom was Scottish, then you are- or are not!- 50% Scottish also. Scotch is a drink!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:33 pm

Golden wrote:
Notch wrote:I don't think this is really a poach as he's 50% Welsh. If his Welsh heritage is that important to him, he's entitled to choose to go that way. I do think he would be foolish to go over to Wales given there is still a chance he can wear the black jersey and regional rugby in Wales is in a real state. If he gets a Welsh cap that leaves him as a persona non grata in NZ; as far as getting a contract is concerned, he'd be a foreign player. And I don't think you want to commit to playing the rest of your career in Wales unless the regions and the Union manage to come to some sort of constructive truce. The situation still seems worryingly unstable.

Sure he could just by pass the Welsh regions and just go straight ahead and sign for a French team. Wont harm his Welsh chances and he'll end up there sooner or later anyway weather he chooses Wales or NZ.
I hear Toulon are in need of a FB. They only have Halfpenny, Armitage, Mitchell and JOC so their stocks are running low there.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm

Ah, but there's a battle of hearts and minds here. The Welsh public may accept a Kiwi at 10, but a Kiwi who turns his nose up at playing in Wales but is happy to take the international caps... can't see him being too popular. That wouldn't be a good move for him.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:49 pm

Probably better for him to be playing with his welsh team mates though Notch?  Very Happy 

Doubt theyll care much once he starts winning them games.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:04 am

Notch wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:

Well thats up to you, really. Someone else in the same boat might feel completely differently about the whole thing. Ascribe a different level of importance to their heritage. Why is it for us to judge how important it is to them?

P.S. If your mom was Scottish, then you are- or are not!- 50% Scottish also. Scotch is a drink!

Keep up, man.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:54 am

The NZRU should ban these poaching kiwi coaches like Gatland, Schmidt, Lam etc from ever peddling their wares in NZ again. It's ok to coach overseas to learn and develop but as soon as they contact kiwis to convert them, shut em off, no coming back into the fold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 23 Apr 2014, 6:49 pm

This is really sad.

Are the Welsh that desperate they need to raid other countries of their average FH's???

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 23 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Gatland might've been smarter to leave that comment until after NZ's upcoming test series. With Cruden, Carter out and Weepu recovering from heart surgery, the All Blacks selectors may just drop Anscombe in for a test cap to shut out the welsh.

what cynical move that would be, use up a player who is 4th/5th in the standings to prevent him pursuing his rugby for his mother country. Then again, NZ are the experts at managing overseas talent.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 23 Apr 2014, 7:37 pm

We are masters at exporting talent scratch. More kiwis in international spots than any other nationality by a factor of 2:1

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next