The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superman Vs The Alien

+15
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Mayweathers cellmate
hazharrison
John Bloody Wayne
hogey
Knowsit17
TRUSSMAN66
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
kingraf
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
catchweight
Strongback
19 posters

Go down

Superman Vs The Alien Empty Superman Vs The Alien

Post by Strongback Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:22 pm

As well as calling out Floyd Bernard Hopkins also had this to say:

“Stevenson, I’m coming to Canada. I’m getting my papers together,”

“I’ll go anywhere they pay the most,”

“I’ve been in Canada. I love Canada. They’ve got a big fan base for Bernard Hopkins out there. And let me tell you something. This fight would do well at the MGM [Grand].”

The fact that Stevenson is a champion known for his power makes this fight even more enticing to Bhops.

“I want the hardest puncher, the baddest threat,” Hopkins said. “Because without a threat, I’m not saying I ain’t motivated, but it won’t be as spicy to [the media], the history of boxing, and the fans.”

Can Hopkin's again do what seemingly looks impossible and go and beat Stevenson?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Superman Vs The Alien Empty Re: Superman Vs The Alien

Post by catchweight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:24 pm

I think he loses

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:47 pm

Strongback wrote:Can Hopkin's again do what seemingly looks impossible and go and beat Stevenson?

Probably. Stevenson doesn't fight the way you'd expect considering he has so much knockout power to call on. Hopkins buys himself breathers and knows how to only work for ninety seconds per round without losing it, and so far Stevenson hasn't really shown he's the man to buck that trend and take that option away from him like Calzaghe did.

But when Stevenson does let his hands go, they are fast and definitely heavier than those of any other Hopkins opponent for a good while. Hopkins still protects his chin just about as well as anyone going, but if a glitch in his defence does rear its head then Steveson is definitely better-equipped to take advantage of it than guys like Pascal, Cloud and Shumenov. Appreciate that there's still a suspicion that Stevenson's chin is a bit tender, but even allowing for that Hopkins doesn't have the pop at 175 to make Adonis second guess himself.

I don't think it's an easy one to predict or to price, really. Based on what Hopkins is still showing as of now, I think he's got just about enough left to nick a decision, but no result here would really surprise me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:00 pm

Think he genuinely could do it, Stevenson relies primarily on landing one punch, he is good at going to the body however and that might just be hopkins achilles heel at this late stage of his career.

Could genuinely see Hopkins being knocked out for the first time, however.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:11 pm

I like Hopkins, well I dont, as I feel he's been allowed to get away with amateur wrestling ever since he left 160lbs, but... I respect his achievements, and his performance two nights ago was, boring as it was, a masterclass. That said, I am worried for Hopkins, he seems pretty determined to fly as close to the sun as possible. Like Icarus, you have to think that eventually he's going to crash back to earth. I think Stevenson blasts him out. I hope Stevenson blasts him out
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:17 pm

Stevenson is a better boxer than he is generally given credit for. Id favour him to outbox a Hopkins who tries to make it as scrappy as possible. He is also the puncher of the two. Expect headbutts, holding and clinching to try and make the fight as hard to score as possible for the judges. At this stage of Hopkins career, I think Stevenson is too good for him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:23 pm

Big respect to b-pops if he's serious about this. Maybe as discussed he thinks stevenson's pot shotting style is made for his countering and spoiling. Interesting he hasn't mentioned kovalev!

How does the fight go, well it's always possible that bhop does his usual, but I do think he's stepping into the firing line more than anytime in recent memory. Those pot shots will come faster and harder than anything he's seen in a while. Stevenson is also capable of boxing successfully at distance. It's an nteresting fight. By which I mean interesting match-up. It's some time since Bhop has been in a fight that qualifies as interesting once the bell rings.

I'd go with stevenson but know better than to write the old fox off.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:24 pm

Think it will be a standard Hopkins masterclass to be honest, not seen anything from Stevenson that troubles him other than father time.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:29 pm

Stevenson will be favourite but how many times has that been said when BHop is involved.

Hopkins had Shumenov down and hurt in there fight, and he's made of stern stuff. Stevenson's chin isnt the best so I would have to think that Hopkins has enough pop to make him think twice and keep him honest.

I would for this fight to happen.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:50 pm

Yeah I think it would be very sily of anyone indeed to write Hopkins off.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:53 pm

Thing is, that was Hopkins best hit in years, by his own admission. If he lands it on Stevenson, Superman is in trouble - but the law of averages tells me that was an outlier hit, and he's not likely to repeat it, especially when he's six months older.
I
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:09 pm

Meh, wouldnt right the Old Stinker off but think he has been overrated on the back of beating some average fighters on account of his age. Stevenson has had the better performances recently. He is better than I thought he was. Hes a league above Cloud or Shumenov.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:10 pm

It's going to take an Ali-Holmes type beating to get rid of the joke that is Hopkins.......Fair play it's a helluva joke...

But the guy can't fight for three minutes a round who can at 50........and the fact he's succesful is a stain on Boxing...

Wouldn't sanction Hoppo-Stevenson myself as it's legalised slaughter....

As Bellew found out you have to work three minutes a round against Adonis....

No thanks not for me............Going to end in tears.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:52 pm

If Hopkins drags Stevenson beyond 6 rounds I think there's only one result. As is said countless times, he's a master at throwing the script out the window and forcing almost any opponent to fight on his terms. When has power ever been the answer against B-Hop?

Having said that, not sure how he deals with Kovalev. No idea how the latter deals with the tail end of the fight given how early he flattens most opposition.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

Personally i think Stevenson probably gives him a bit of a beating, but Hopkins is a man you cant write off even at 50.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:25 pm

A little easier to control the pace of a fight when you're allowed to practically man r.ape all your opponents, and headbutt them, and god knows what else. Hopkins is dirrty. Just awful on the mind, the eye... But
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:06 pm

I lean towards Stevenson, and even though Hopkins deserves props and is an example to all boxers, I hope he loses. It just looks so bad seeing these new stars emerge and get taken apart by a man not far away from retirement age in some jobs.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm

Carlos Acevedo does these so well:

http://thecruelestsport.com/2014/04/19/mythmakers-bernard-hopkins-beibut-shumenov-preview/

Bernard Hopkins continues his myth-making ways when he faces Beibut Shumenov, a man with only 15 pro fights, at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C. on Saturday night in the main event of a Golden Boy Promotions/Showtime Pawn Shop special.

Except for the fact that Hopkins shows up most contemporary fighters—the guys who cross their feet, hang their chins out like lanterns on a peg, and wind up punches the way Buster Keaton used to—every time he answers the opening bell, not much interesting happens when he fights. But saying that would rile up the blogoscenti. Or, even less interestingly, a cog of the Power Structure itself. Say, a Showtime PR rep with a limited Twitter imagination.

Does it matter that Hopkins, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is going for records against the likes of Shumenov? With so many fanboys and publicists taking up slots at press row, it all seems so obvious. Yes! Hopkins could share the ring with a cardboard cutout of Captain Underpants and still be lauded for extending his legacy, especially when a “unification” takes place. The Smart Set will tell you again and again that belts do not matter…unless one of their favorites is involved, and then the multicolored pom poms come out. (Actually, the best thing about this fight is that it may lead to a showdown with Adonis Stevenson. That, in turn, will likely put an end to the pathetic link-bait articles about Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. So, something good may come out of this light heavyweight nonsense, after all.)

Last edited by hazharrison on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:01 pm

Bit of a bitter article considering there's no one in boxing who's faced anywhere near the level of opposition Hopkin's has over the last 10 years.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:05 pm

Yep agree with that summary. The last genuine top fighter Hopkins faced was Dawson and he lost that. Were it not for way too many belts and way too many divisions he probably would have packed it in then. But awful champions and shallow divisions being around has added incentive. His viewing figures for the fight were meant to be a disappointment. The Porter fight on the undercard actually had more viewers apparently. Still p1ssed we dont get Stevenson/Kovalov after the last 12 months of build up.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:06 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Bit of a bitter article considering there's no one in boxing who's faced anywhere near the level of opposition Hopkin's has over the last 10 years.

Pacquiao? Marquez? Ward? Mares? Froch?

I think it's highly complimentary - merely puts his recent wins into context.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:17 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Bit of a bitter article considering there's no one in boxing who's faced anywhere near the level of opposition Hopkin's has over the last 10 years.

Pacquiao? Marquez? Ward? Mares? Froch?

I think it's highly complimentary - merely puts his recent wins into context.

Combined? because if not they all come nowhere near.

Hopkins fought 5 ring magazine champions on the spin. Call him boring fair enough, but to doubt his level of opposition is ludicrous.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:05 pm

It's an interesting fight, Stevenson doesn't have the typical style to bother hopkins as he isn't a hgh tempo fighter, but what he does have is speed and power. Hoppo's chin is granite so maybe the way to deal with him is to hit his body and Adonis is a very good body puncher.

Don't think Hoppo wants any part of Kovalev who does have a style Bhop won't like. He's a bit robotic and static but he throws lots and lot of hard powerful punches and has subtle defensive moves that prevents him from being outclassed like a lot of standard bangers

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:28 pm

I dont really think the high tempo thing is the issue. It will be skillset. Dawson was a southpaw like Stevenson not known for his blistering tempo. Taylor was plain lackadaisical. They beat Hopkins. I think Stevenson has the style to cause Hopkins plenty of bother. He has looked the more impressive fighter overall in recent showings.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:16 am

I think Stevenson should chew gum, then when they touch gloves spit gum onto Hopkins' gloves so his gloves stick together and he can't throw punches properly.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:18 am

Or shave his legs so Hopkins can't take his eyes off how grrreat Superman's legs look allowing Stevenson to knock him out with punches.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Wed 23 Apr 2014, 4:37 am

Sometimes you come across as a knowledgeable poster JBW, other times mildly cretinous. Do you come on here drunk? Or let your child post on your account? Sorry its off topic, but I have been wondering.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:05 am

The gum idea is particularly odd... why would that help.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Wed 23 Apr 2014, 6:06 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:It's an interesting fight, Stevenson doesn't have the typical style to bother hopkins as he isn't a hgh tempo fighter, but what he does have is speed and power. Hoppo's chin is granite so maybe the way to deal with him is to hit his body and Adonis is a very good body puncher.

Don't think Hoppo wants any part of Kovalev who does have a style Bhop won't like. He's a bit robotic and static but he throws lots and lot of hard powerful punches and has subtle defensive moves that prevents him from being outclassed like a lot of standard bangers

He does though, he said as much in a recent Boxing News article, he wants to fight both Stevenson & Kovalev to unify all the titles, whether he can remains to be seen (I think Kovalev is the easier fight out of the two).

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:00 pm

Hopkins knows what styles he has a chance against, the fact there is smoke still rising from the heels of his shoes in regards to the bolter he done when Ward got mentioned as an opponent shows this.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm

Ward v Hopkins - I shudder at the thought of that. Would have to score it on effective clinches and head-butts.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

Hopkins recovery ability diminishes with every day that passes...........Lord knows how long it takes to recover from his 12 rounders....

Sad to see some want to see him continue fighting.........

I worry at 50 If he takes a sustained beating it would have a lasting effect..........Bad for Boxing this guy in that it encourages others to continue past their sell by date..

I used to train my body parts at the gym once every five days and now It's once every seven because I can't recover like I did and I keep getting injured..(Suffering from sciatica at the moment!!) and I'm younger than Hopkins..

Perhaps it will take Hoppo in a coma for all this foolishness to stop..........I don't care If he's nicking fights by spoiling......

Indictment on the sport a 50 year old can keep winning at the top level....

Then again it's an indictment that two over 35's are in the top 3 p4p list..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 23 Apr 2014, 1:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hopkins recovery ability diminishes with every day that passes...........Lord knows how long it takes to recover from his 12 rounders....

Sad to see some want to see him continue fighting.........

I worry at 50 If he takes a sustained beating it would have a lasting effect..........Bad for Boxing this guy in that it encourages others to continue past their sell by date..

I used to train my body parts at the gym once every five days and now It's once every seven because I can't recover like I did and I keep getting injured..(Suffering from sciatica at the moment!!) and I'm younger than Hopkins..

Perhaps it will take Hoppo in a coma for all this foolishness to stop..........I don't care If he's nicking fights by spoiling......

Indictment on the sport a 50 year old can keep winning at the top level....

Then again it's an indictment that two over 35's are in the top 3 p4p list..

Not by much...

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 23 Apr 2014, 3:47 pm

Very rare, but I agree with every word, Truss. It's quite unfortunate that he wants to go the Icarus route, and see how close he can get to the sun. I do hope he fights Stevenson, who has explosive power, and pot shots. That way, quick KO, and hopefully he realises his time is up. A Holmes-Ali-esque beating could be fatal
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 23 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:Sometimes you come across as a knowledgeable poster JBW, other times mildly cretinous. Do you come on here drunk? Or let your child post on your account? Sorry its off topic, but I have been wondering.

The cretinous posts are me. The knowledgable ones are only when I let my 9 year old, 22 stone son Shank use my phone when I visit him in his cell block where he awaits trial for eating the beloved family pets of several mild mannered families who are yet to forgive him for his sins that he does not understand.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 23 Apr 2014, 8:45 pm

A lot being made of his age here which is a bit of red herring to me. Who cares if he is fifty - he's beating guys way younger and not talking much punishment at all. To me, judging him on his age is like judging a car on it's age rather than it's mileage. Ali was an older fighter at 35 than Hoppo is at fifty. The idea of an Ali - Holmes beating doesn't seem to be waiting just around the corner, yet in Ali's case everyone except the great man himself could see it coming.
Foreman"s comeback was far worse for boxings image, as George received proper beatings every time he fought anyone of any quality before his fluke win over Moorer, yet his achievements get lauded never the less. If anyone else was in his position we would be glad that they wanted a unification bout, but Truss suggests he wouldn't sanction on it. Why , on what grounds does a man who has won and defended a world title not qualify to challenge a fellow belt holder? It's RJJ we should be worried about, not Hopkins.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down