The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Prize Money increase...

2 posters

Go down

Wimbledon Prize Money increase... Empty Wimbledon Prize Money increase...

Post by laverfan Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:19 pm

The champion will receive a cheque for £1.76m, a 10 per cent (£160,000) increase from £1.6m in 2013.

Doubles prize money for The Championships, which runs from 23 June to 6 July, increases by 8.7 per cent, while there is a 6.1 per cent increase for the mixed doubles.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/04/18/Wimbledon-Prize-Money-Increase.aspx

At the heart of the increase is a wish by the Club to continue to build on the work of the last two years targeting the increases to the side of the draw which it was felt needed it most – those players who lose in the early rounds or in qualifying.  

For the vast majority (88%) of singles players who lose in the first three rounds of The Championships, there is an increase of over 12.5% in the prize money each will receive this year, thereby increasing the prize money for these players by over 100% over a three-year period.

Similarly, there is a 12.5% increase in prize money for qualifying bringing the three-year increase for this group to 93%.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2014-04-29/201404291398760189902.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Prize Money increase... Empty Re: Wimbledon Prize Money increase...

Post by Henman Bill Thu May 01, 2014 2:43 am

The 3-year increase looks good.

On the 1-year incresae though, this is rather a marketing exercise to try and claim that it is for the benefit of early rounds losers. In % terms there is not much difference. When expressed as a £ number the increase in £ rather than % is actually more the further in the draw you go.

Winner still gets more than all 64 first round losers combined. Still, if you or I had the chance to turn up at Wimbleodn and lose in the first round and get £27,000, I don't think we'd complain. As far as I know, the slams are always a good pay day for the 50-100 ranked player if they can win a match or two, it's more the lesser events where the price money is low.

£13,500 for losing in last round of qualifying, £6,750 for second round. Not too bad I wouldn't say.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down