The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

+21
Sand
JAS
pedro
themightyone
beninho
mystiroakey
SmithersJones
sirbenson
super_realist
I'm never wrong
navyblueshorts
incontinentia
kouchi
Bob_the_Job
NedB-H
McLaren
GPB
Davie
Shotrock
twoeightnine
kwinigolfer
25 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 06 May 2014, 5:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).This week will see the 41st edition of the PGA Tour's showpiece event, "The Players Championship", a travelling show for its first few years but, since 1982, a fixture at Pete Dye's Stadium Course at TPC at Sawgrass, just a few miles from Jacksonville, Florida.
The Tour brands it the "Fifth Major", but that definition is in the eye of the beholder - sure Adam Scott would rate the Aussie Open at a higher level, while many ET members would say their fifth Major comes in two weeks' time, at Wentworth.

2).There's a terrific field on hand, though the person receiving most publicity this week is, of course, nowhere to be found - but Tiger Woods's "blog" breathlessly updating his medical condition has taken the headlines, as no doubt it was intended to do.
Next as a topic of conversation this week is the condition of the greens at the TPC, with the putting surfaces at #'s 4, 11 & 12 closed during practice rounds on Monday and Tuesday. Needless to say weather is being blamed but apparently a "plant growth regulator" was mis-applied. A year or three ago it was East Lake's greens, last year Quail Hollow's and now the TPC.
Imagine Wentworth's will be pristine by comparison.

3).I enjoy most things about the "Players" and about the TPC course, all except the 17th hole which still seems unnecessarily sh1t or bust, part of the NASCAR-type attraction I know, but hardly golf. One change this year will be in the format of any Play-Off. Instead of going straight to the sudden-death lottery of #17, they'll play three holes, #'s 16, 17 & 18 and use an aggregate score, two fine holes sandwiching a circus.

4).pgatour.com tells us that JB Holmes hit an amazing (to me anyway) 24 drives of 320 yards or more in winning last week's Well Fargo Championship. Fantastic comeback for JB from all his surgeries - he started the season on a Medical Extension and now he's all the way back as a top player.
Quail Hollow looked a picture - I love the changes, especially to the 16th which has gone from a nothing hole to a spectacular 500 yard (but downhill to the green) challenge.
And: If the Par-4 14th hole is not the best short Par-4 in tournament golf it has to be in the top two, with Rivera's 10th. Sacrilege I know, but I'd rate it ahead of the hole that Rivera's 10th has become.

5).Last week at Quail Hollow is a timely reminder that the PGA Champioship will be held there in 2017. Future sites:
2014: Valhalla
2015: Whistling Straits
2016: Baltusrol
2017: Quail Hollow
2018: Bellerive
2019: Bethpage Black
2020, 2021: TBA
2022: Trump National

6).JB Holmes played on the 2005 US Walker Cup Team that squeaked by GB&I at Chicago Golf Club. He was beaten in a singles Match, 5&4, by young Englishman, Matthew Richardson. After an unsuccessful stint on the European Tour, Richardson has been on the fringes of the US Pro Tours for the past few years, including making the cut in the 2010 US Open. He's at it again, advancing from a Local Qualifier yesterday. On to Sectional Qualifying against exempt Tour Players in a few weeks and let's hope he makes it on to Pinehurst.

7).Speaking of which!
It's OK to follow the Tigers and Phils of the golf world, but I'm more interested in the guys who don't make the headlines. How's this for the four-week odyssey of an aspiring young local pro who narrowly missed out on web.com status for 2014:
April 14th - 17th: Won Gateway MatchPlay tournament in Arizona: $25,000 in the bank. Fast forward 750 miles east to Midland, TX:
April 24th - 27th: Sponsors invite got him in to the web.com's WNB Golf Classic. Finished T9, and banked $14K. Which gets him in to:
May 1st - 4th: South Georgia Classic, 1,100 east. He finishes T8 and pockets $19K, but had previously signed up for the US Open Local Qualifier in Tucson, AZ, 1,900 miles back west on May 5th.
May 5th: Tucson, AZ: Qualifies for US Open Sectional Qualifying. He had previously played the US Open at Bethpage and made the cut.
Because of his result in Georgia he gets to come back east again next week for the web.commer in Greer, SC. Phew!
How long before he acquires status on the web.com Tour I'm not sure. But for a young married man, high school ski-racer competing with Keegan Bradley as it happens, it's a hard grind until you reach the "Show". Hope he makes it; you know he'll appreciate it if he does. Meanwhile, his efforts last year on the Canadian Tour secured him exemption there if things don't work out.

8).At the other end of the scale, Messrs Crenshaw and Watson have reportedly announced next year's Masters will be their last. Are you paying attention Woosie? O'Meara??

9).Who will follow in the steps of Sandy Lyle, Stenson and Sergio and become Europe's fourth winner of The Players?
Some reasons for optimism; perhaps Sergio or Stenson can repeat? Luke Donald and Martin Kaymer are in decent form and Justin Rose has been knocking on the door recently (though he's been closing like Liverpool).  I can't see Martin Laird repeating his fine finishes in 2012 & 2013, or Lee Westwood winning the event he should arguably have won a couple of years ago; Franny Molinari has played well here in the past, but he always seems to come up a few crucial putts short whenever in US contention.
Russell Knox was the last player in to the field, lives locally and seems to enjoy Pete Dye courses - it wouldn't surprise me if he was the leading British competitor.

10).It seems that golf's navigators increasingly contend at The Players, and Tim Clark, KJ Choi and Kuchar have won recently.
This is usually the start of Zach Johnson-season on Tour and I'm hopeful he'll get in to top gear this week. And no-one is in better form than Kuchar.
The forecast for Tournament week is for warm, mostly dry weather with just enough wind to make things interesting. And not just from Johnny Miller.
Should be a great week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 6:07 pm

Greens seem to be rolling well, just slower than normal.

Some notables saddling up and biking out:
Oosthuizen (git fit man)
Webb Simpson
Watney (flat as his beer this year)
Stadler
Thongchai
Keegs
Willie Mac

El Pato made a mess, five over par for his final five holes
And Scott looks like he'll need some help.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Fri 09 May 2014, 6:09 pm

Kwin - I think you'll get your European winner this weekend. Man, these guys are tearing this course up!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 6:35 pm

Way too early for that sort of talk!

But it'll be interesting to see how the guys fare this afternoon if the wind gets up. Thursday's afternoon crew found the going half a stroke tougher than the early birds.

Poulter looks like he'll get paid, by the skin of his teeth.

Oof, Mahan another in with a shocker. What's wrong with him?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 09 May 2014, 6:41 pm

America's Golf Cup....? Seems Tiger is going to Argentina in September.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 7:47 pm

Nothing way low yet this afternoon, Sabbatini looks best at -3 after 8.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 8:27 pm

Rory's having a nightmare whassup with that? The pressure of carrying Shotrock's money perhaps?

McDowell in form though - you'd think it's just the course for him. Should have won it once before he fell apart.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 09 May 2014, 8:31 pm

Coco just hasn't got the game between the ears. Bags of talent - brain like sawdust.

Hopefully within a few months everyone will be talking about Spieth and not spud-boy

BTW what's happened to "top5" this week? Another flash in the pan or hasn't he paid his church dues this month?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 09 May 2014, 9:00 pm

Patrick Reed's wife is about to POP. Her due date was Monday of this week.

Rory still has a bad case of SWOOSH-itis. Terrible decision on his part to switch equipment.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 9:02 pm

I think Mrs Top Five is just about to drop a baby heir or heiress to the Top Five title - he'll be home for the birth now. SNAP!

Touch and go as to whether the cut will fall back to even par - Russell Knox definitely very interested, and probably Luuuke also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 09 May 2014, 9:05 pm

Good show by Kaymer...is it a one week show or is he finally back to his old self, the guy that got to World Number 1 and won a Major??
After a pretty dire start to the season, the European Ryder Cup prospects are beginning to show a bit of form...Westwood, Rose, McDowell, Stenson & Garcia all beginning to look like golfers again. Even McIlroy to be honest isn't far away.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 9:24 pm

JAS,
No knowing what he'll do this weekend, but Kaymer's played well the past three tournaments, just not really in contention. Looked magnificent yesterday.

Another birdie for Luke Donald has him inside the cut-line.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 09 May 2014, 10:41 pm

Taylor made advert they keep playing says winningist. Surely this is not a word??

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 09 May 2014, 10:44 pm

beninho wrote:Taylor made advert they keep playing says winningist. Surely this is not a word??
It's tailor made.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 09 May 2014, 10:52 pm

pedro wrote:
beninho wrote:Taylor made advert they keep playing says winningist. Surely this is not a word??
It's tailor made.

No, it's Taylor Made. And no, it's an americanism.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 09 May 2014, 11:00 pm

I can't take to speith. He may be brilliant and young. But I just am not sold. Maybe it's when someone is anointed to be the next best thing you get a bit sick of them.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 11:38 pm

We'll probably see two quite similar games Saturday with Spieth & Kaymer. Neither flashy, both make consistently good strikes and think their way around the course. Hope the US media climbs all over Spieth (get down, Kelly) and addles his brain with what might-bes.

Great leaderboard, would still think it's anyone's game.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 09 May 2014, 11:45 pm

Rory looked dead. To make the cut is very impressive.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 09 May 2014, 11:57 pm

Spieth mighty impressive. How good is he? IMO, not Rory good, but plenty good.

Kwin, why do you hope the US media addles his brain?

After all, he's not the mental midget that Sergio is ... Wink

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 May 2014, 11:59 pm

Wow, Impressive indeed for Rory.

Phil goes home, along with buddies Hunner, Webby, Keegs, Top Five.

80+ players making the cut, so MDF's after Round 3.

Sr,
Just teasing, I want Kaymer to strut his stuff. Is that the same Sergio who's sitting comfortably in behind the leaders? Just checking.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 10 May 2014, 12:16 am

Kwin - Yes, the same Sergio that has the same number of majors as I do.

Never has someone done so little with so much

Just kidding ... I mean, just teasing ...

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 10 May 2014, 12:17 am

beninho wrote:I can't take to speith. He may be brilliant and young. But I just am not sold. Maybe it's when someone is anointed to be the next best thing you get a bit sick of them.

Is it Spieth, or is it the Media? If it is the Media, do you think that is fair to Spieth?

He is not a God botherer, so that cannot be it.

Maybe it is his first name.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sat 10 May 2014, 12:33 am

JAS wrote:Good show by Kaymer...is it a one week show or is he finally back to his old self, the guy that got to World Number 1 and won a Major??
After a pretty dire start to the season, the European Ryder Cup prospects are beginning to show a bit of form...Westwood, Rose, McDowell, Stenson & Garcia all beginning to look like golfers again. Even McIlroy to be honest isn't far away.

Garcia has won this year and bar the masters hasn't been out the top 20 since Oct. Pretty solid year I'd say. Rest are very valid though. Hope this is Kaymer back, he is a top quality player been away too long for guy of his class. Very impressed by Spieth he is real deal.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 10 May 2014, 12:34 am

A Yank ... not liked around these parts GPB ...

Wink

(But they tolerate me ... perhaps because I'm an Anglophile, and already planning my next golf trip to London!)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 10 May 2014, 1:07 am

Shotrock wrote:A Yank ... not liked around these parts GPB ...

Wink

SR, about the only superficial thing to dislike from Team V606 that I can spot about Jordan is that he has a first name that is usually a last name.

He is not overweight.
He doesn't have multiple chins
He is not a god botherer
He has a conservative haircut, and not a pube head.

So "Jordan" has to be "complaint du jour"

Or maybe it is the white belt he was wearing today.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 1:14 am

Jordan Spieth is just fine, and an even finer golfer. (Tho not interested in hearing Jim Nantz drooling over him next week in Dallas.)
And he's won one more tournament than Shotrock and the same number of Majors as Sergio. Tho' one less Players Champo!

Harris English in a poor trot of form. Falling out of the Ryder Cup qualifying places most likely.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 10 May 2014, 1:43 am

Nothing per se wrong with the God Botherers if they're decent blokes, Zach Johnson for one is someone who comes across as very religious but a nice guy. And Spieth falls into the same category, by every account he definitely is a God Botherer by every definition, but at least he doesn't flaunt it and puts on a good show. Seems like a nice guy, but Kaymer seems like a nicer one... always liked him, and he continues to show a good side to his character, would really like him to win this weekend.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 10 May 2014, 8:03 am

Unusually for me in regards to a hyped player I seem to like Spieth.
Incredibly talented golfer, seemingly nerveless, bossed the college scene same time a mate of mine was on it.
I like that he hasn't been swallowed up by the ghastly Nike machine (yet), sticking with the understated Under Armour and Titleist, and that even if he is a god -botherer, he hasn't mentioned it yet. He doesn't swing like a mad man, seems to have a good on course demeanour and appears to be enjoying himself out there.

Looks like he'll be top American in a number of weeks, amazing for such a short time on tour, rather than an indictment of American golf, and perhaps even #1 by the summer.

Saying all that, it's high time Europe won an event this year, and Kaymer would be a popular winner.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 10 May 2014, 10:15 am

I'm with super on this one .. like some others have mentioned I think (unfairly) I tend to dislike certain players because of the media hype (Rory, Leftie, and Tiger before he became unlikeable in his own right)

All my favourite players of recent years have largely been unaffected by media (over)-hype ... Luke, Poults, Westwood, Els, Keymer etc. I hope they don't go TOO OTT on Spieth .. seems a very likeable young man and terrific to watch. And as super says, even if he is a god-botherer I've never heard it yet

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 10 May 2014, 10:54 am

Spieth seems down to earth and mentally strong. No reason not to like him. (Apart from his first name - and passport of course (if he has one...))

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 10 May 2014, 11:31 am

Spieth does seem to play a fairly packed schedule. Understandable given his age and desire, and whilst every pro should be physically capable of playing every week, I do wonder how well Spieth will cope with the mental rigours of playing as frequently as he does.
Plenty of players have come along like him, full of promise (Fowler, Overton, Kim etc) and simply disappeared or never lived up to their career projection.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 10 May 2014, 11:36 am

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/apr/14/jordan-spieth-masters-augusta-raes-creek-bubba-watson

"they are both part of the tour's bible study group", knew I'd read as much somewhere. But like others have said, who cares if he keeps it to himself.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 10 May 2014, 11:37 am

Also, little bit of irony in the fact that the weekend could turn in to a Kaymer-Spieth shootout... Kaymer's predecessor as top German golfer being probably a bigger Bible basher than any US pro.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 10 May 2014, 12:02 pm

Gullibility isn't just the preserve of the Americans Ned, I think KJ is that way inclined too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 10 May 2014, 12:03 pm

I think it's a big thing in Korea. Baddeley is another international one, I guess an omnipresent Almighty doesn't care for national borders

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 12:28 pm

Nothing not to like about Badds, keeps his views to himself and always seems to be grateful for being paid for playing a game. Fun to follow, but he increased his lead yesterday for having balls in the pond at the 17th hole. First shot was an otherwise good one, straight at the pin but rolled out a shade too far.
Stupid bl00dy hole.

Breezy warm and dry for the boys today, just a smidgeon of a chance of showers late in the day. Similar on Sunday.

Lots of fun groups to follow (Rory out at 8.05 a.m.) early and I see Blixt and Fowler are paired together. Perhaps Jonas will repeat his prank of last year where he turned up adorned in exactly the same technicolor clobber as Rickie.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 10 May 2014, 12:35 pm

Ha ha, that's a good urine take Kwini.
Fowlers get up is ridiculous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 2:08 pm

Because 82 "Players" made the cut, there'll be another Top-70-and-ties cut after Round 3.
Right now, after a terrible start, Rory is three strokes adrift of 70th place. Not exactly the "backdoor Top Ten" he was talking about yesterday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 10 May 2014, 2:08 pm

Rory doesn't like the front 9 does he.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 2:12 pm

Unlike Russell Knox who has kicked off with a birdie, eagle start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 May 2014, 2:39 pm

GPB wrote:
Shotrock wrote:A Yank ... not liked around these parts GPB ...

Wink

SR, about the only superficial thing to dislike from Team V606 that I can spot about Jordan is that he has a first name that is usually a last name.

He is not overweight.
He doesn't have multiple chins
He is not a god botherer
He has a conservative haircut, and not a pube head.

So "Jordan" has to be "complaint du jour"

Or maybe it is the white belt he was wearing today.
So team 606 revolves around soupy?

Come on Lee.

Jordans a great player though.. Strange player in the fact he does nothing spectacular, but proficient in everything like a seasoned pro. Tough to see him becoming a class above the rest. But could certainly be a multiple major winner. A faldo or player type...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 3:19 pm

Back to level par for the day for Rory, talk about an up and down tournament. Perhaps he can blitz the rest of the back nine and show the TPC what he's made of.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 May 2014, 3:29 pm

Could rors and Jordan be the new Norman v faldo?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 3:37 pm

I see the similarities mysti, but I hope there's no inference that McIlroy's going to be stuck on two Majors for the rest of his career . . . .

Big weekend this, for Spieth, wouldn't you think?

And Kaymer for that matter.

Two top golfers who perhaps still have something to prove to themselves, if not anyone else.

No-one really on fire yet this morning; Ryan Moore with the best round going, -3 after 10 holes. Birdie for Poulter who is overdue a really good tournament.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 4:56 pm

I often feel that you can tell a lot about a player's motivation and, perhaps state of his career, in how they close out tournaments.
Case in point at TPC this morning.
Two golfers, both even par for the day:
One finishes birdie, birdie, birdie to leap in to the top 30.
The other finishes double, par, bogey to leap in to his car and off down the Interstate to his mansion, tournament almost certainly finito.
Well done, Rory. On yer bike Ernie.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 6:34 pm

Silky start for Jamie D.

Looks like the 54-hole cut will be at about +1.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 May 2014, 7:53 pm

Eagle for............

Westy Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 8:28 pm

Just gave one back.

Talking about giving back: The Joost is Loosed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 May 2014, 8:42 pm

Bounce back...

back to 8

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 8:59 pm

And a nice par save.
Four of Europe's Medinah Team in the top ten, time for McDowell & Rose to join them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 May 2014, 9:21 pm

another bounce back- if he can cut the mistakes and post a ten under - he is well in the hunt sunday

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next