The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

+21
Sand
JAS
pedro
themightyone
beninho
mystiroakey
SmithersJones
sirbenson
super_realist
I'm never wrong
navyblueshorts
incontinentia
kouchi
Bob_the_Job
NedB-H
McLaren
GPB
Davie
Shotrock
twoeightnine
kwinigolfer
25 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 06 May 2014, 5:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).This week will see the 41st edition of the PGA Tour's showpiece event, "The Players Championship", a travelling show for its first few years but, since 1982, a fixture at Pete Dye's Stadium Course at TPC at Sawgrass, just a few miles from Jacksonville, Florida.
The Tour brands it the "Fifth Major", but that definition is in the eye of the beholder - sure Adam Scott would rate the Aussie Open at a higher level, while many ET members would say their fifth Major comes in two weeks' time, at Wentworth.

2).There's a terrific field on hand, though the person receiving most publicity this week is, of course, nowhere to be found - but Tiger Woods's "blog" breathlessly updating his medical condition has taken the headlines, as no doubt it was intended to do.
Next as a topic of conversation this week is the condition of the greens at the TPC, with the putting surfaces at #'s 4, 11 & 12 closed during practice rounds on Monday and Tuesday. Needless to say weather is being blamed but apparently a "plant growth regulator" was mis-applied. A year or three ago it was East Lake's greens, last year Quail Hollow's and now the TPC.
Imagine Wentworth's will be pristine by comparison.

3).I enjoy most things about the "Players" and about the TPC course, all except the 17th hole which still seems unnecessarily sh1t or bust, part of the NASCAR-type attraction I know, but hardly golf. One change this year will be in the format of any Play-Off. Instead of going straight to the sudden-death lottery of #17, they'll play three holes, #'s 16, 17 & 18 and use an aggregate score, two fine holes sandwiching a circus.

4).pgatour.com tells us that JB Holmes hit an amazing (to me anyway) 24 drives of 320 yards or more in winning last week's Well Fargo Championship. Fantastic comeback for JB from all his surgeries - he started the season on a Medical Extension and now he's all the way back as a top player.
Quail Hollow looked a picture - I love the changes, especially to the 16th which has gone from a nothing hole to a spectacular 500 yard (but downhill to the green) challenge.
And: If the Par-4 14th hole is not the best short Par-4 in tournament golf it has to be in the top two, with Rivera's 10th. Sacrilege I know, but I'd rate it ahead of the hole that Rivera's 10th has become.

5).Last week at Quail Hollow is a timely reminder that the PGA Champioship will be held there in 2017. Future sites:
2014: Valhalla
2015: Whistling Straits
2016: Baltusrol
2017: Quail Hollow
2018: Bellerive
2019: Bethpage Black
2020, 2021: TBA
2022: Trump National

6).JB Holmes played on the 2005 US Walker Cup Team that squeaked by GB&I at Chicago Golf Club. He was beaten in a singles Match, 5&4, by young Englishman, Matthew Richardson. After an unsuccessful stint on the European Tour, Richardson has been on the fringes of the US Pro Tours for the past few years, including making the cut in the 2010 US Open. He's at it again, advancing from a Local Qualifier yesterday. On to Sectional Qualifying against exempt Tour Players in a few weeks and let's hope he makes it on to Pinehurst.

7).Speaking of which!
It's OK to follow the Tigers and Phils of the golf world, but I'm more interested in the guys who don't make the headlines. How's this for the four-week odyssey of an aspiring young local pro who narrowly missed out on web.com status for 2014:
April 14th - 17th: Won Gateway MatchPlay tournament in Arizona: $25,000 in the bank. Fast forward 750 miles east to Midland, TX:
April 24th - 27th: Sponsors invite got him in to the web.com's WNB Golf Classic. Finished T9, and banked $14K. Which gets him in to:
May 1st - 4th: South Georgia Classic, 1,100 east. He finishes T8 and pockets $19K, but had previously signed up for the US Open Local Qualifier in Tucson, AZ, 1,900 miles back west on May 5th.
May 5th: Tucson, AZ: Qualifies for US Open Sectional Qualifying. He had previously played the US Open at Bethpage and made the cut.
Because of his result in Georgia he gets to come back east again next week for the web.commer in Greer, SC. Phew!
How long before he acquires status on the web.com Tour I'm not sure. But for a young married man, high school ski-racer competing with Keegan Bradley as it happens, it's a hard grind until you reach the "Show". Hope he makes it; you know he'll appreciate it if he does. Meanwhile, his efforts last year on the Canadian Tour secured him exemption there if things don't work out.

8).At the other end of the scale, Messrs Crenshaw and Watson have reportedly announced next year's Masters will be their last. Are you paying attention Woosie? O'Meara??

9).Who will follow in the steps of Sandy Lyle, Stenson and Sergio and become Europe's fourth winner of The Players?
Some reasons for optimism; perhaps Sergio or Stenson can repeat? Luke Donald and Martin Kaymer are in decent form and Justin Rose has been knocking on the door recently (though he's been closing like Liverpool).  I can't see Martin Laird repeating his fine finishes in 2012 & 2013, or Lee Westwood winning the event he should arguably have won a couple of years ago; Franny Molinari has played well here in the past, but he always seems to come up a few crucial putts short whenever in US contention.
Russell Knox was the last player in to the field, lives locally and seems to enjoy Pete Dye courses - it wouldn't surprise me if he was the leading British competitor.

10).It seems that golf's navigators increasingly contend at The Players, and Tim Clark, KJ Choi and Kuchar have won recently.
This is usually the start of Zach Johnson-season on Tour and I'm hopeful he'll get in to top gear this week. And no-one is in better form than Kuchar.
The forecast for Tournament week is for warm, mostly dry weather with just enough wind to make things interesting. And not just from Johnny Miller.
Should be a great week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 10 May 2014, 9:23 pm

Another stroke closer.
And Sergio just about to be also.
I'm lovin' it!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "The Players Championship", Self-Proclaimed Fifth Major: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Sat 10 May 2014, 9:25 pm

Great leaderboard it must be said, good to see the course fighting back today!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat 10 May 2014, 9:32 pm

A Westwood vs Garcia showdown would be kind of apt considering this is the "Fifth Major" maybe add in Monty just for the craic.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 10 May 2014, 9:51 pm

Take a look at Kevin Na's Shot tracker on #12.

http://www.legacy.pgatour.com/shottracker.html#/current/r000/current/player/25396/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 10 May 2014, 9:54 pm

GPB wrote:Take a look at Kevin Na's Shot tracker on #12.

http://www.legacy.pgatour.com/shottracker.html#/current/r000/current/player/25396/
And check Overton's at #11.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 10 May 2014, 9:55 pm

sirbenson wrote:A Westwood vs Garcia showdown would be kind of apt considering this is the "Fifth Major" maybe add in Monty just for the craic.
Plus Norman with a 5 shot lead.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 10 May 2014, 10:16 pm

No Monty on sky. He could have a Ryder cup namedrop battle with McGinley.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 10 May 2014, 11:03 pm

I love it when a pro gets a 10.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 10 May 2014, 11:46 pm

Last 2 are a long way behind the rest who have all finished.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 12:18 am

Our NBC TV feed discontinued coverage whilst the last group (and they were a long way behind) played #18.

Johnny Miller banking on Kaymer to run up a cricket score on Sunday; NBC are unbelievable with their pro-American bias.

No fireworks in the final pairing today and, apart apparently for the 18th, no long putts holed. Would think either of Kaymer and Spieth shooting in the 60's Sunday will win the tournament.
Spieth was losing his driver towards the end after whacking it perfectly. Lots of luck in how things worked out for him, but even more skill.

Come on Martin!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun 11 May 2014, 6:06 am

It has to be said Spieth is the real deal. No bogeys in 54 holes on that course with a bit of wind is impressive. Especially as he didn't hit that many fairways on the back 9. At only 20 he must be ahead of Rory when he was that age. But I hope Kaymer wins because of the hype that will surround Spieth if he does.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 12:41 pm

Strange case regarding Justin Rose and the ball that moved. Can't understand why he wouldn't have called in an official, especially as there must have been one right there.

EDIT: Probably should have added this:
http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/2014/05/10/justin-rose-issued-two-stroke-penalty-for-ball-moving.html

Chance of Sawgrass showers this morning when Donald, Knox and McDowell are scheduled to be off in the first five groups.
Donald and McDo got derailed yesterday, not sure why they fell apart - the TPC should suit both of them down to the ground.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 11 May 2014, 1:17 pm

kwini wrote:NBC are unbelievable with their pro-American bias.
We're quite anti-American here in fairness.

Kaymer should close this out, we've seen his icy-cool performances under pressure before. The Germanator is back.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 1:49 pm

I think we're "anti-American" hype here; sure we're Pro some other countries but don't think anti-American necessarily.

There's a huge difference between the commentary offered by Maltbie, for instance, or Kostis, compared to Miller & Rolfing & Jacobsen who just don't seem to see anything except through a starsandstripes prism.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 11 May 2014, 2:19 pm

I find Jacobsen abonimable, his "new glove" song performed live on air a few weeks back was a new low in tosh.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 2:29 pm

Paul McGinley must be looking at potential RC'ers like Kaymer, Molinari and Westwood today, wondering if any can stamp their authority on Round 4 and get back in to RC qualifying contention.

A big chance for them really as Poulter, Donaldson and Bjorn haven't taken advantage this week. Potential for the World Points, at least, to become quite compressed behind Sergio & Stenson.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 4:34 pm

Billy Ho is the man trying to set the TPC alight this morning - playing with Luke Donald, for an interesting contrast in styles. In every conceivable way.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 11 May 2014, 5:50 pm

Can't believe the Tour reversed the Rose penalty.

Not convinced the penalty was legit, but once they levy the penalty, the penalty should stand.

Rose got a tee time based on his -5 score and would have teed off an hour later if they never assessed the penalty.

That "Could" be a competitive advantage for him, if the winds come up late this afternoon.

(Yes it could work the other way too.)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 11 May 2014, 5:57 pm

that's the question i was going to ask- i didn't understand how he had got to 7 under par.

good on the tour. It was never a penalty

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 6:04 pm

I couldn't understand how they could penalize Rose and not John Huh yesterday.
Rose should be penalized anyway for stupidity in not calling an official in.
Terrible precedent set.

KJ Choi going like Lewis Hamilton.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 6:54 pm

Faldo reckons -14 is the winning score. By Kaymer
I reckon it'll have to be -15, hope it's Kaymer.

Anyone going for a player to come out of the pack to break into the Top Two?

(Shotrock will surely like Sergio's chances . . . . . )

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 11 May 2014, 7:42 pm

Fascinating finale set up. Rose looks like he could post a number to keep Speith & Kaymer on their toes.Who out of them 2 will prevail?, Kaymer should have the experience but like many others I'm well impressed by Speith.

Good weekend from Molinari too to say "Hi Mr McGinley, I'm here!"

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 8:20 pm

More good stuff from Franny.
Spieth needs to keep his tee shots on the fairway and I can't see him getting beaten. Kaymer looking a little anxious early.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 8:51 pm

Oh, Brian Davis.
Just can't stand prosperity. Snorkel time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 11 May 2014, 8:56 pm

Spieth lost his concentration a bit on the back 9 at the Masters. Let's see how he fares today.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 11 May 2014, 8:59 pm

Rory with an amazing 24 birdies this week.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 11 May 2014, 9:19 pm

Backdoor top 10 for Rory it seems. He can't be far off a win surely.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 11 May 2014, 9:26 pm

pedro wrote:Rory with an amazing 24 birdies this week.
25 that is

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 9:33 pm

SIX of the Medinah Miracles in the Top 11.
They won't do that well at Wentworth.

Great composure now from Kaymer.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 Sun 11 May 2014, 9:41 pm

Why are most of the players & spectators wearing pink today? (sorry if this has been covered already).

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 9:51 pm

Hi Seve,
It's Mothers Day in the USA.

The US Open is always on Fathers Day, so the players wear black . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 11 May 2014, 10:36 pm

This week: Rory -17 on the back 9, +8 on the front 9.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 10:44 pm

Rats!
Bet that's not what Furyk said.
There's a nasty looking band of showers coming through, but should be all clear after that.
Rotten time to have to stop though, must help the chasers more than the chasee.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 11 May 2014, 10:48 pm

Jim Furyk 5 hour energy must have run out by the last putt. He is pretty slow.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 11:06 pm

If Kaymer wins this, and let's hope he does, you'll be able to throw a golf towel over the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th placings in the World Points for Ryder Cup qualifying. Probably Luke Donald just ahead of Rose, then Kaymer. Poulter would likely be 6th, and need a Captain's Pick, along with Molinari, Westwood, McDowell etc.

Early days but someone's going to be unhappy come September.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 11 May 2014, 11:10 pm

Just out of interest, WTF is Furyk doing with his putting???
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 11:21 pm

He's trying to imitate Keegan Bradley's routine.
Or vice versa.
Both painful to watch.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 11:23 pm

Sad story about Alastair Forsyth's caddie dying of a heart attack in Madeira.
"Zim Mac", a 52-y-o Zimbabwean.
Which is exactly the same as a neighbour of mine who's from Zimbabwe and caddied in Europe. Not called Mac though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 11 May 2014, 11:42 pm

Projected Ryder Cup Standings for the Euro Ryder Cup Bubble Boys

7 137.97 … Justin ROSE
8 132.88 … Luke DONALD
9 132.10 … Martin KAYMER
10 129.57 … Ian POULTER

Westy would have about 103 pts, Frannie would have about 107 points

Last edited by GPB on Mon 12 May 2014, 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 May 2014, 11:51 pm

That's about what I expected GPB, depending upon Lee's last hole and Franny's final couple.

Looks like they'll be back in play at 7.10 p.m., 12.10 a.m. in Worksop.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 12 May 2014, 12:59 am

Wow. Kaymer was purring like a Mercedes and then starts running like a Trabant after the delay.

So unlucky, lucky, unlucky, lucky on 17. What. A. Par!!

Great tee shot on 18, surely there can't be anymore drama left?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 May 2014, 1:15 am

There WAS more drama left - too much drama almost!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 1:29 am

6 europeans top 10

rors smashed the field last 54 holes

And Lw got the top 10 i needed. Thanks for the pay out Lee. You owed me that one Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 12 May 2014, 1:52 am

This is what the World Points should look like after the Players for 7-17

7 137.97 … Justin ROSE
8 132.10 … Martin KAYMER
9 132.88 … Luke DONALD
10 129.57 … Ian POULTER
11 104.07 … Lee Westwood
12 102.34 … Francesco Molinari
13 99.66 … Miguel Angel JIMÉNEZ
14 99.07 … Stephen GALLACHER
15 94.56 … Joost LUITEN
16 90.57 … Graeme MCDOWELL
17 88.1 … Gonzalo FDEZ-CASTAÑO

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 May 2014, 2:29 am

Some separation in the US RC qualifying positions now with Bubba and Jimmy Walker $700K - $1M ahead of a cluster of players, Kuchar, Spieth, Furyk and Dustin.
Then another $700K+ to Reed, Phil, Zach, Dufner and English Harris.

Walker, Spieth and Furyk enjoyed excellent "Players" but the rest were essentially also-rans. Not sure Tom Watson would be pleased to see that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 12 May 2014, 3:50 am

If Euro RC qualification were reversed so that 4 picked from world list and then 5 not already qualified from Euro list the team would currently be;

Stenson
Garcia
McIlroy
Bjorn

Dubuisson
Donaldson
Poulter
Luiten
Fdez Castano

As opposed to;

Dubuisson
Donaldson
Bjorn
Stensen

Garcia
McIlroy
Rose
Kaymer
Donald

Which team would you prefer?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 12 May 2014, 7:43 am

McLaren wrote:If Euro RC qualification were reversed so that 4 picked from world list and then 5 not already qualified from Euro list the team would currently be;

Stenson
Garcia
McIlroy
Bjorn

Dubuisson
Donaldson
Poulter
Luiten
Fdez Castano

As opposed to;

Dubuisson
Donaldson
Bjorn
Stensen

Garcia
McIlroy
Rose
Kaymer
Donald

Which team would you prefer?

Not sure...I'd leave it about another 3 & a half months before choosing ;)At a rough guess though I'd say McGinley will be happier than Watson this morning!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 12 May 2014, 8:26 am

Jas

It is true that it is a little early to comment who will make each team but I would like to know the reasoning behind the european tour favouring those who play mainly on the world stage over those who play predominantly on the European tour. You could argue if the events on the ET were stronger this issue would not exist, but for the moment lets ignore that.

For example

Reversing the allocations as I did above gives

5 full time ET players
4 Double dippers

But using the current system gives us

3 full time ET players
6 double dippers

There are many reasons and I am sure I have gone into them before but by switching the system you could include more ET players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 8:43 am

Europe have a great record Mac, regardless of which tour the players have been sourced/qualified from.
It's almost as irrelevant as how many majors the players have. Doesn't matter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 12 May 2014, 9:00 am

Mac...you want your 12 best players there...PERIOD.
ANY system which places more importance on promoting a tour rather than identifying the best players is stupidly flawed.

Using your example, can you picture the hypothetical scene at the post event press conference.

McGinley: "Sure we got humped but hey, the European Tour will benefit because we used more players from the European Tour rather than those greedy double dippers who've sold their soul to Finchem"

Watson: "Thanks Paul and the European Tour - I feel almost nostalgic, It's like going back to the 60's and 70's Ryder Cups"

As Super says, we have a great record, I'd prefer that to continue, the selection process has evolved to what it is now and I believe it gives the right balance.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next