The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby Celebrations

+18
lostinwales
Mr Bounce
Scratch
Jimpy
beshocked
Dave.
kiakahaaotearoa
doctor_grey
nathan
Knowsit17
GLove39
fa0019
No9
majesticimperialman
Geordie
Biltong
Barney McGrew did it
alive555
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rugby Celebrations Empty Rugby Celebrations

Post by alive555 Thu 08 May 2014, 11:46 am

The IRB seriously need to ban players who partake in this crap.

1st offence - red card.
2nd offence - 1 year ban

This should have absolutely no place in this sport.

If you want to act like a fanny go play chavball. Emo 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ija97CXb52Q

alive555

Back to top Go down

Rugby Celebrations Empty Re: Rugby Celebrations

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 08 May 2014, 11:56 am

Bwahahaha  Rugby Celebrations 3933776953 

Makes The Splash look positively tame.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 08 May 2014, 12:07 pm

Ah take a chill pill man.

its a bit of fun. Not doing anyone any harm.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 May 2014, 12:11 pm

I totally agree, rugby is serious business and it shouldn't be entertainment.  Whistle 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 08 May 2014, 12:13 pm

laughing 

Erm werent a few of those clips from good ol' SA Bilts?  Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 May 2014, 12:33 pm

Indeed. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 08 May 2014, 12:48 pm

Biltong wrote:I totally agree, rugby is serious business and it shouldn't be entertainment.  Whistle 

Interesting the all blacks dont go in for that crap.  Doh

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 May 2014, 1:07 pm

alive555 wrote:
Biltong wrote:I totally agree, rugby is serious business and it shouldn't be entertainment.  Whistle 

Whatch the video again mate, Carter, Savea etc.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 08 May 2014, 1:28 pm

Biltong wrote:
alive555 wrote:

Whatch the video again mate, Carter, Savea etc.

I did and totally innocous.

Unlike some of it is which IMHO is immature bs.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 08 May 2014, 1:42 pm

Ok own up which one are you...

GE? Ghost?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 08 May 2014, 2:44 pm

I cannot remember the amounts of times i have screamed Noooooooooooooooooooo, Every time Gareth Thomas the ex welsh international score a try, and he would run around the back of the post hitting himself on the head.

It used too drive me mad.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 May 2014, 2:48 pm

Well to be fair some celebrations borders on stupidity and recklessness, but others are quite entertaining.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 May 2014, 2:49 pm

Heres a good one, the lawn mower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC0qd1wbaL0

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 08 May 2014, 2:54 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I cannot remember the amounts of times i have screamed Noooooooooooooooooooo, Every time Gareth Thomas the ex welsh international score a try, and he would run around the back of the post hitting himself on the head.

It used too drive me mad.

beat me to that... Called the "the Ayatollah", it was a Cardiff City FC celebration. But didn't they understand how offensive that was to certain Muslim communities. The "beating of the heads" was a mourning ritual by some (notably in Iran - hence Cardiff FC fans called it "doing the Ayatollah").

When Gareth Thomas started this I wanted to scream... He should have been taken down a peg by the coaches explaining it was a near racist taunt.

Pat on the back from other to the try scorer is ok, but these elaborate celebrations, including dives where not needed are just way over the top...

I really gringe when I see a winger go in for a dive near the touch line just for show boating, especially when he is able to run in and put it down closer to the posts for the conversion.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 May 2014, 3:00 pm

IronMike wrote:Heres a good one, the lawn mower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC0qd1wbaL0

Now that is original.

You can see it is a Freestate farmer. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 08 May 2014, 3:17 pm

It was a forward pass anyway...shouldnt have been a try...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 08 May 2014, 3:20 pm

now this is what i call a proper try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P02uUJ2UAQ

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 08 May 2014, 4:25 pm

alive555 wrote:now this is what i call a proper try

Shane Williams?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 08 May 2014, 7:39 pm

Check out 2:03 in this video https://youtu.be/FVOh-niWl0w now there's a try celebration! Makes the 'Ash Splash' look rather tame.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 08 May 2014, 8:03 pm

Which specific celebrations are we talking about? Some on that clip are perfectly tame and innocent while some are admittedly elaborate and not necessarily in good taste.

One could hardly introduce a law explicitly banning any reaction to scoring whatsoever as a lot of celebrations aren't meant to be offensive and are simply a positive release of emotion. It's the ones that are motivated by a need to showboat or taunt the opposition that I can't stand.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 08 May 2014, 8:27 pm

Can't see the difference between them and Ashtons splash myself.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 May 2014, 8:31 am

I am not overly fussed by some of the celebrations.  Some are a bit much and would certainly like to see the team choreography celebrations go away.  Agree the Ashton dive is much less by comparison so I should expect those who castigate Ashton to well and truly have their blood up over any in these videos.  

One thing creeping into Rugby are the players who hold up and wag their finger in the 'I am number one' gesture before crossing the line and touching down the ball.  Every time I see that I want to see the ball carrier drop the ball.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 10 May 2014, 10:39 am

I think the big difference with Ashton doc is that he is in an England shirt and if memory serves me the overwhelming majority (the first few are league) are from rugby club rugby. The atmosphere is more carnival at say a Super rugby match - horses riding round, cheerleaders in hot tubs etc. - and so this may lend itself to these over the top celebrations. I agree that some are distasteful in their pre-conceived ideas. Ioane's swivel at least seemed spontaneous compared to that awful strutting dance.

Test rugby though has a different vibe. You're representing your country not your club or province. The swallow dive is tame by other standards but it stands out more for me because it's in an England shirt. George North was told off for the number one gesture to Genia in the first test not because it was particularly offensive but more so, I imagine, because he was representing the UK nations and Ireland. If he'd done it for his Welsh club, I don't think it would've attracted the same amount of criticism.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 10 May 2014, 3:36 pm

Thing that got to me about Ashton's diving was that he used to do it for every try he scored. Even the simple ones where he took an offload and may as well have flopped over the line. You shouldn't dive when someone essentially creates the opportunity for you, it makes you out to be a prat who thinks he doesn't need help scoring.

If you've created and scored a wonderful solo try then you've earned a congratulatory dive as far as I'm concerned. But like I said, Ashton would do it even for a simple pick-up and run under the posts.

Of course, all sides learned later that the way to put a cap on it was to just stop Ashton scoring... ever Wink 

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 10 May 2014, 5:45 pm

George North being pulled up for that was an utter disgrace. And there's nothing wrong with the Ash Splash.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 11 May 2014, 12:21 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I think the big difference with Ashton doc is that he is in an England shirt and if memory serves me the overwhelming majority (the first few are league) are from rugby club rugby. The atmosphere is more carnival at say a Super rugby match - horses riding round, cheerleaders in hot tubs etc. - and so this may lend itself to these over the top celebrations. I agree that some are distasteful in their pre-conceived ideas. Ioane's swivel at least seemed spontaneous compared to that awful strutting dance.

Test rugby though has a different vibe. You're representing your country not your club or province. The swallow dive is tame by other standards but it stands out more for me because it's in an England shirt. George North was told off for the number one gesture to Genia in the first test not because it was particularly offensive but more so, I imagine, because he was representing the UK nations and Ireland. If he'd done it for his Welsh club, I don't think it would've attracted the same amount of criticism.
Great points. And I fully agree that what might be acceptable at one level might not be acceptable at International level. Club matches should be a bit different in tone.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 11 May 2014, 2:39 pm

Anyone remember Cipriani's little dance for the Rebels when he scored a try?

Certain sides do dances before kickoff but I don't see calls to ban them or even the furore that surrounds the splash.

Don't see much of a difference to them and try celebrations.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 12 May 2014, 1:48 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I am not overly fussed by some of the celebrations.  Some are a bit much and would certainly like to see the team choreography celebrations go away.  Agree the Ashton dive is much less by comparison so I should expect those who castigate Ashton to well and truly have their blood up over any in these videos.  

One thing creeping into Rugby are the players who hold up and wag their finger in the 'I am number one' gesture before crossing the line and touching down the ball.  Every time I see that I want to see the ball carrier drop the ball.

Why didn't you just say, "I don't like Manu Tuliagi"?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 12 May 2014, 4:55 pm

alive555 wrote:now this is what i call a proper try

splits the defense, causes both sides to leave the field as they know this guy is unstoppable, and what a step on the 5m, beats 7 defenders before a scrotum crushing splash down….Phil Vickery at his best

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 14 May 2014, 1:02 pm

Manu Tuilagi annoys me with his little gestures when he scores a try (looks like he's making an "L" on his forehead but I don't actually know what it's supposed to mean).

However, my favourite recent try was Mako Vunipola's effort against Italy. He was so surprised he had a look around to see if he was in the right place before dotting the ball down!!  laughing

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 14 May 2014, 1:15 pm

People complain that England dont score tries, then they complain when they do...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 14 May 2014, 3:14 pm

I shouldn't feed the troll but hey, why the hell not.  heart 

I am very happy for the tries to be scored lostinwales, but I believe I have the right to express my displeasure at their silly little gestures afterwards. A bit of a celebration is fine, yes, but curious little dances and symbols isn't for me.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 14 May 2014, 4:05 pm

Which troll is that?

I just hate how easily these things turn into witch hunts on selected players. Yes there is a balance with this stuff, and I thought the comments on differences between how players should react at club and international level were interesting, but its easy to overreact.

There is also the schadenfreude involved when someone goes for a big celebration and is then on the loosing side.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 14 May 2014, 4:08 pm

Ashton's celebrations contributed to him losing his place, comes across as arrogant and unlikeable.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 14 May 2014, 4:40 pm

Scratch wrote:Ashton's celebrations contributed to him losing his place, comes across as arrogant and unlikeable.

Absolute horse poo. He lost his place because he was off form wasnt scoring tries and doing sod all else, and there were alternatives doing better.

The fact that there are injuries amongst the alternatives, and that he now, for instance, has the record for the most tries scored in one HC campaign, suggests that he is back on form and may well be back in the mix in a couple of weeks.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 14 May 2014, 4:48 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Scratch wrote:Ashton's celebrations contributed to him losing his place, comes across as arrogant and unlikeable.

Absolute horse poo. He lost his place because he was off form wasnt scoring tries and doing sod all else, and there were alternatives doing better.

The fact that there are injuries amongst the alternatives, and that he now, for instance,  has the record for the most tries scored in one HC campaign, suggests that he is back on form and may well be back in the mix in a couple of weeks.

Horse poo

If he comes back and does his usual Splash knob-end celebration he'll be dropped again, mark my words.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 14 May 2014, 5:04 pm

Just suppose (however unlikely) that Ashton does a huge dive as he scores the winning try vs the AB's. Do you honestly think he'd be dropped for that afterwards?

I personally think Wade and Yarde, and possibly May (if he ever gets his act together) offer more. I also liked Nowell, although he isnt the finished article. But Ashton has every right to show he has got back to form and that he has developed his all round game. You cant argue with his current scoring rate

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 14 May 2014, 5:22 pm

lostinwales wrote:Just suppose (however unlikely) that Ashton does a huge dive as he scores the winning try vs the AB's. Do you honestly think he'd be dropped for that afterwards?

I personally think Wade and Yarde, and possibly May (if he ever gets his act together) offer more. I also liked Nowell, although he isnt the finished article. But Ashton has every right to show he has got back to form and that he has developed his all round game. You cant argue with his current scoring rate

I agree but that is not the issue, what is in contention is his knobbish celebrating….it is far too fruit ball. I said it contributed to his dropping because it created a media storm that he was an arrogant pleb and once he lost credibility his game came under intense, arguably disproportionate, scrutiny.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 21 May 2014, 1:14 pm

The Strokosch Ansbro celebration surely is the perfect rugby celebration?!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 21 May 2014, 1:45 pm

Ashtons celebrations had NOTHING to do with him being dropped.

It was his form and how he was adapting to the tactics of the England side...ie he wasnt.

He's kept playing well for Sarries however and with England playing a more attacking game utilising a lot of offloading from the big guys....Ashton should be back amongst the tries.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 May 2014, 3:27 pm

lostinwales wrote:

The fact that there are injuries amongst the alternatives, and that he now, for instance,  has the record for the most tries scored in one HC campaign, suggests that he is back on form and may well be back in the mix in a couple of weeks.

What???? Ashton got dropped for polar opposite reasons.....he wasn't doing the spash becasue he wasn't scoring!

That comment shows a distict lack of understanding of English rugby.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 21 May 2014, 3:34 pm

And his defence obviously, or sometimes at least the perception of it. Against New Zealand the try in the first couple of minutes was partially caused by 2 other England players going in to help Ashton when he'd already made his tackle leaving room on the inside. All aspects of his game look spot on at the minute though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 21 May 2014, 3:34 pm

I think in part his celebrations were part of his dropping indirectly.

He was always a confident player but he became a target by fans, the media and the opposition. I think it probably played on his mind. He could no longer ghost along the backline and pop up suddenly, he became a marked man and his impact on the game deminished.

If you're having to defend your actions all the time in the media, its going to be pretty tough for it NOT to negatively impact your game.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 21 May 2014, 5:04 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

What???? Ashton got dropped for polar opposite reasons.....he wasn't doing the spash becasue he wasn't scoring!

That comment shows a distict lack of understanding of English rugby.

Sure it does Poooooooly. i don't understand that Ashton not scoring got him dropped. QED I don't understand English rugby picard  laughing 

Did you promulgate that hypothesis yourself or get your pet gerbil Wonka to do it for you?

Are you trying to actually prove you are the missing link because you just did.

Last edited by Scratch on Wed 21 May 2014, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 May 2014, 5:20 pm

Do you find it that hard to form a reasonable argument without personally attacking me?

Ashton's celebrations contributed to him losing his place

This is extremley wide of the mark.

His poor defence and inabilty to get into games resulted him being dropped, his "splash" had nothing to do with it.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 May 2014, 5:23 pm

Scratch, you are once again making overly personal remarks. You are warned once again. Please stop being so confrontational.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 21 May 2014, 5:26 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Do you find it that hard to form a reasonable argument without personally attacking me?

Ashton's celebrations contributed to him losing his place

This is extremley wide of the mark.

His poor defence and inabilty to get into games resulted him being dropped, his "splash" had nothing to do with it.

Attack you? laughing laughing 

You have read what you wanted to read. My statement was that Ashton's celebration contributed to him being dropped - this is a thread about celebrations- I didn't say it was the reason, i then expounds don that by saying it created an image of him in the press as arrogant and unlivable which undermined him as a player

Got it now.

Are you going to run to teacher again if i disagree with you?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 21 May 2014, 5:27 pm

Notch wrote:Scratch, you are once again making overly personal remarks. You are warned once again. Please stop being so confrontational.

What personal remarks? Did i insult Wonka the gerbil. sorry.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 May 2014, 5:29 pm

Just don't be an a-hole.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 May 2014, 5:31 pm

There's little need for this really, just stick to the topics and talk rugby. Every post has an underlying personal attack.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next