The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No No Celebrations

+10
super_realist
Chydremion
djlovesyou
westisbest
carrieg4
Danny_1982
lags72
LuvSports!
invisiblecoolers
hawkeye
14 posters

Go down

No No Celebrations Empty No No Celebrations

Post by hawkeye Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

Just catching up with some of the highlights today and caught the end of the long fought out five set battle between Tipsarevic and Lacko. It ended when Lacko served a double fault on match point. Tipsarevics method of celebration was character revealing. Instead of a spontaneous reaction he slowly revealed a bicep and flexed it. My response was to cringe in embarrassment for him. To me this celebration in any circumstance is a no, no but having won such a closely fought match it is the ultimate in cheese and disrespect to an opponent. Previously Tipsarevic is a player who barely registered on my radar. But from now on I will cheer for his opponents. No way would I want to see such cringe making behavior again.

Sometimes tennis fans have to make a stand!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

No No Celebrations Empty Re: No No Celebrations

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

Actually Tipsy is one of those great gentlemen play the game seriously. I remember on several occasions he conceded the point when he knew the opponent actually won the point even though umpire had no clue about it.

May be in yesterday's game he felt the pressure to prove himself and couldn't accept an underdog take the fight to him and hence the reaction or may be he thought the stronger man in the end won.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm

half a star rating

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:43 pm

Good win for Tipsy.

Every lower-ranked player is desperate to claim the scalp of a top tenner, never more so than at a Slam. They can often play 'above themselves', which makes these early rounds very testing for the seeded player ; for whom the relief & satisfaction of coming through a tough 5 setter is perhaps greater than for a routine win in straights (not that I shall ever know one way or the other .....! Cool )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

What nonsense.

Tipsarevic has always come across to me as a very sporting man. Why is flexing your bicep muscle disrespectful? Is it any worse than ripping your shirt off or a 1 finger salute? Of course it's not.

These are athletes competing at the top of a global sport, and when they win a war if attrition they can celebrate however they like. As long as they are not barging into people or slating them at the net, then it's fine by me.

Goodness me, talk about mountain out of a molehill.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

Also, I've just seen it.... Match point wasn't a double fault, it was a great rally with a Tipsarevic winner!!

Why make up that it was a double fault?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:What nonsense.

Tipsarevic has always come across to me as a very sporting man. Why is flexing your bicep muscle disrespectful? Is it any worse than ripping your shirt off or a 1 finger salute? Of course it's not.

These are athletes competing at the top of a global sport, and when they win a war if attrition they can celebrate however they like. As long as they are not barging into people or slating them at the net, then it's fine by me.

Goodness me, talk about mountain out of a molehill.

Danny_1982

You are correct about the match not ending on a double fault I watched highlights and the horrendous double fault by Lacko must have been at another key point in the match. No matter my point was about the cringe making celebration at the end of the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWzrJuZDjFA&feature=youtube_gdata

Some people of course may think this is fine. But to me it is just down right embarrassing and classless. We have had two great role models in tennis and perhaps have been a little spoilt. Lucas could perhaps have been forgiven for slating Tipsarevic at the net but I'm glad he didn't go down that route. He obviously is a more classy player than Tipsarevic.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

nadal being a great role model in time-wasting and a bit of gamesmanship?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:35 pm

You haven't explained why it is in any way disrespectful or embarrassing?

Now we've exposed the make believe of the double fault, tell us all why showing his bicep is so bad?

Tell us why it's worse than a 1 finger salute or ripping a shirt off? Tell us why it's worse than doing what Rafa did last year when he fell to his knees and fist pumped for ten seconds for winning a tie break in the final (not even the end of the match!)

Tell us exactly what Tipsy has done wrong....

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

He has made me cringe.

I have got nothing against genuine, emotional and spontaneous celebrations. If you can't see the difference between some of the celebrations you mention and Tipsarevic's carefully calculated creepy gesture then I'm not sure I can explain. Maybe you liked it?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

lags72 wrote:Good win for Tipsy.

Every lower-ranked player is desperate to claim the scalp of a top tenner, never more so than at a Slam. They can often play 'above themselves', which makes these early rounds very testing for the seeded player ; for whom the relief & satisfaction of coming through a tough 5 setter is perhaps greater than for a routine win in straights (not that I shall ever know one way or the other .....! Cool )

Agreed, was just typing something similar when I read this.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:02 pm

there is nothing wrong with that at all.

its not like he's doing some kind of bodybuilding flex, or hogan flex.

to me its fine

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm

Come on guys this is clearly another not-so-subtle dig at Murray, when Andy showed his bicep a few years ago.

Naughty naughty.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

True Emancipator, SSDD Broken Record

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:27 pm

Not a bicep fan then HE?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm

emancipator wrote:Come on guys this is clearly another not-so-subtle dig at Murray, when Andy showed his bicep a few years ago.

Naughty naughty.

Of course it is. That's why I was trying to get a reason out of her... Which apart from "it makes me cringe" was not forthcoming.

Know what I miss about the old 606? The ability to rate articles.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:35 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Also, I've just seen it.... Match point wasn't a double fault, it was a great rally with a Tipsarevic winner!!

Why make up that it was a double fault?

I saw the ending of the match and at first it looked it had ended with a Lacko double fault. But then the umpire overruled the calling out of Lacko's second serve, Tipsy subsequently challenged and it appeared to be in. They replayed the point and Tipsy ended with a winner.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:57 am

Thank you Chydremion for pointing that out. I just saw highlights and knew there was a double fault in there somewhere.

But Rolling Eyes to some of the comments trying to relate this article to Murray. Sometimes this site resembles a Murray fan similar perhaps to the mythical "Woofie" fan site about another player. Do we all have to have everything checked for possible slurs on Murray before posting? I certainly know what is classy and what isn't. Actions can speak louder than words and what Tipsarevic did to me revealed a lot about his character and it wasn't nice. Am I expected to support Tipsarevic because to do otherwise would be a slur on some other player? Ha ha!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:03 am

Nice try HE, there is ALWAYS an anti Murray dig in your articles somewhere. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. This time it was pointed out by that famously obsessed Murray supporter Emancipator picard

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:33 am

Bring back this type of celebration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvJVWFj3Qcw

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:08 am

Flexing a muscle is pretty bad, biting a trophy is far worse though. Once is fine, every time is shiversomely embarassing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:32 am

Recent medical research has shown that biting trophies can cause stomach viruses.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:48 am

I wonder if he is a pillow biter Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:37 am

Hard to know whether hawkeye is joking he hides it quite well. Tipsy is one of the few remaining with a shred of personality.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:52 pm

I don't see a problem, most importantly he didn't aim it at Lacko, it was to his box and it was pretty understated. Its only when they go well overboard screaming and such or they aim something aggressive at the player I don't like it.
Saying that it looked like things got pretty tense, Tipsarevic had a bit of a face on him, soo it looked a bti worse than it did, he took it off when he shook hands though and was geenrous there.
I do like Tipsy watch on eurosport, I think he's pretty funny, i've never felt hes been out of line with any celebration. Perhaps give him a second chance HE? Hug

Biting the trophys just Nadals calling card isn't it? It's not having a go at anyone or being boastful, he's not actually biting into it, just resting his teeth on it, it's just like when people kiss the trophy, not sure I see that one.

HM I think HE is a she right?... no relevance in anyway just a note.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:34 pm

falzy21

I know it would be reasonable to give Tipsarevic a second chance. But I know when I watch him in future I will be reminded of his cringe making gesture. The only possible way for him to redeem himself would be if he did something really worthy of admiration. Something that would wipe out the negative with positive. Unless or until he can come up with something like that then his opponents will get my support.

I'm quite surprised at some of the celebrations that some find offensive. I suppose I can sort of understand shirt ripping but falling to the floor or biting a trophy?

Oh and I am a she...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

Sorry mate, but this article is a FAIL. You make it out like he celebrated on a double fault which is completely different then when called it act like it makes no difference to your article, when it does.

Celebrating on a double fault is a hugely different matter to celebrating hitting a clean winner on match point.

And if that is an offensive celebration then there must be a thousand offensive celebrations on tour all year.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:54 pm

Trophy biting isn't offensive to me, but I always wonder why Uncle Toni tells him to do that. It's just a bit odd.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:07 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Sorry mate, but this article is a FAIL. You make it out like he celebrated on a double fault which is completely different then when called it act like it makes no difference to your article, when it does.

Celebrating on a double fault is a hugely different matter to celebrating hitting a clean winner on match point.

And if that is an offensive celebration then there must be a thousand offensive celebrations on tour all year.

Nothing new here when you have to add "porkie pies" to articles to try to make them interesting it really is quite sad.

I'm sure Tipsy will lose sleep knowing that someone on an internet forum with a keyboard called HE wont be supporting him picard

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

hawkeye wrote:falzy21

I know it would be reasonable to give Tipsarevic a second chance. But I know when I watch him in future I will be reminded of his cringe making gesture. The only possible way for him to redeem himself would be if he did something really worthy of admiration. Something that would wipe out the negative with positive. Unless or until he can come up with something like that then his opponents will get my support.

I'm quite surprised at some of the celebrations that some find offensive. I suppose I can sort of understand shirt ripping but falling to the floor or biting a trophy?

Oh and I am a she...

May be Tipsy knew catching HE's attention is the shortest route to popularity than winning the slam, so how many articles should we expect on Tipsy here on till the next slam HE? Whistle

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

hawkeye wrote:Tipsarevics method of celebration was character revealing. Instead of a spontaneous reaction he slowly revealed a bicep and flexed it. ................... To me this celebration in any circumstance is a no, no

I seem to remember Andy Murray doing this as he qualified for his first Slam QF at Wimbledon in 2008

So if a fair sportsman like Andy can do it - I fail to see what's wrong with it, as long as it's not done to excess

Sorry! Of course with it being Andy, it will be a problem for Hawkeye

Silly me picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down