The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When celebrations go bad...

5 posters

Go down

When celebrations go bad... Empty When celebrations go bad...

Post by Glas a du Sun 14 Apr 2013, 9:33 am

Even bad things happen for a reason. Unless you understand the reason for it you will never reduce it.

Lets take a modern taboo; racism. You talk about racism and you are labelled a racist. Try to understand the causes of racism and you seem to be excusing it and are not fit for public life. The result? Racists aren't any less racist, but they learn not to talk about it. Out of sight out of mind and everybody can get along.

Then occasionally something happens which drives closet racists out into the open and social attitudes adjust.

I am massively disappointed in the coverage of the Ospreys game last night on S4C. The last incident of that game could have been one of those seismic occurrences changing attitudes across the sport, but was ignored by the commentators completely.

I'm not still talking about racism by the way, but an abhorrent social ill nevertheless; the over enthusiastic try celebration.

We have got used to seeing rugby players launching the ball into the crowd, doing a trade mark gesture, shouting and pointing. And yes, the "Ash Splash" TM. So much so, whereas we should demand bans every time it happens for unsporting behaviour, we tend to silently pigeon hole the player as a bit of an arse and move on.

Since the end of the nineties it's been getting worse. Occasionally the boundaries are pushed and there is a bit of a stink. But there are always apologists, fans of that players team and others who excuse such hubris as youthful exuberance.

But in the manner of a Greek Tragedy (or an overly lax parent more realistically) circumstances have a way of catching up. Matt Dawson never suffered for his celebrations, (although in hindsight they are a bit 'cheeky chappy') but the splashing Ash's decline in form may tell a different story. Are the Gods on Olympus punishing him?

And so we come to Rhys Webb's try. In common with Ashton tries, an increasingly rare thing. Webb took a quick tap on 79 minutes. The Ospreys had scored two and needed a bonus point badly. Webb burst through...

Biggar is an intelligent player. He was screaming at Webb for the ball as he scored. A drop goal conversion in time and Treviso would have to kick off, there would be a chance.

...Webb launched the ball into the stands. Biggar got it back eventually and kicked his drop goal, the clock turning red as it sailed through the posts. Game over.

Retribution was swift. Biggar had torn a strip off him immediately, but the sheepish Webb slinked off the field having had a second ear bashing from his outside half. Comment on this there was none.

A cursory glance at the table explains Biggar's ire. Leinster beat Munster, but the Scarlets failed to get a try bonus against Glasgow when they were well on top. This was his teams last home fixture and they take on the current 3rd and 2nd placed sides in the league away in their run in to the crucial play off spots. As it stands they could win those games and yet miss out. A bonus point was that vital.

To be fair to Webb, his was not the worst such offence of itself. To be fair to Treviso, the Ospreys were by no means certain to score.

But they could have had the chance, a chance they may nor get again this season. The impact on the season could yet be huge. Whilst we haven't heard the start if it, S4C, we may not have heard the last of it either.

When actions have negative consequences, professional players should take note. Here's hoping that coaches around the country highlight Webb's folly as an example of what not to do, for competitive reasons if nothing else. I won't hold my breath...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

When celebrations go bad... Empty Re: When celebrations go bad...

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 14 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm

When I first started playing senior rugby the old heads would given me a right ear full if I'd lacked respect in my celebrations. As pro rugby moves away from the old boys of the amateur era and gives way to the exuberance of youth you'll see stuff like this. If happens, bet Webb won't do it again though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 14 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm

Yeah, let's take all the joy out of rugby.

Kinda funny seeing Biggar having a go at another player for being a bit of a bell-end.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

Joy? You can have some joy after you make sure you've done your job. And you can have some joy without making a Holly Wilaboobie of yourself.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:57 pm

No pudding until you've eaten your sprouts eh?

I feel sorry for Joy. I don't think she's having a say in this at all.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:59 pm

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:59 pm

If only the Bankers were forced to eat their sprouts...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 14 Apr 2013, 5:55 pm

Last season didn't Biggar decide to run away from the posts when he was over the try line to make his conversion as difficult and so as impressive as possible...only to miss it Doh

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 14 Apr 2013, 6:28 pm

Laugh

Now that is hubris!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 14 Apr 2013, 8:42 pm

Glas a du wrote:If only the Bankers were forced to eat their sprouts...

I would settle for them actually paying their taxes.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down