The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 22

+29
Portnoy's Complaint
Bathman_in_London
maverickmak
The Saint
Cyril
beshocked
westisbest
WELL-PAST-IT
Geordie
Scoped
nathan
Manu's Boxing Coach
HammerofThunor
Rugby Fan
Ozzy3213
flankertye
Hound of Harrow
Poorfour
yappysnap
sirtidychris
doctor_grey
kingelderfield
HongKongCherry
ChequeredJersey
formerly known as Sam
broadlandboy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Bathite
Scrumpy
33 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 22 - Page 4 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 22

Post by Scrumpy Fri 09 May 2014, 4:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sat 10th May 15:15 Harlequins   v  Bath Rugby - BT Sport
Sat 10th May 15:15 Leicester Tigers   v  Saracens
Sat 10th May 15:15 London Irish   v  Sale Sharks
Sat 10th May 15:15 Newcastle Falcons   v  Exeter Chiefs
Sat 10th May 15:15 Northampton Saints v  London Wasps - BT Sport
Sat 10th May 15:15 Worcester Warriors   v  Gloucester Rugby

Pos PTS
1 Saracens 85
2 Northampton Saints 73
3 Leicester Tigers 69
4 Bath Rugby 66
5 Harlequins 63
6 Sale Sharks 56
7 London Wasps 49
8 Gloucester Rugby 42
9 Exeter Chiefs 41
10 London Irish 32
11 Newcastle Falcons 22
12 Worcester Warriors 12
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 22 - Page 4 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 22

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 12 May 2014, 1:46 pm

Jimpy wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Bathite wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
beshocked wrote:This Bath side should learn from this and be back stronger next season. I don't think culture/personnel is a problem. I think they'll be a strong contender for years to come. Craig just needs to be patient.

They lack depth in key areas but that should come in time. Guys like Ford and Watson will be more experienced next season and more prepared.

Bath's salary cap busting team have underperformed. Simple as that really.

If only everything in life was that simple, eh Jimpy?

Just plesed Quins pipped Bath, now that half of the semi-finals will at least be competetive.

Bath's fault is they didn't buy people farms to get round the cap. Glass houses and all that Wink

Well, come the final, maybe Saracens wont have finished all those points clear only to chuck it all away. I can't imagine what numpty team would do that...

ah, thanks Jimpy, you really are special Aviva Premiership - Round 22 - Page 4 3559488474
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 12 May 2014, 2:52 pm

I caught the Gloucester game last night, and was impressed with May playing at 13 (his stupid YC aside). His first try was sublime, and reinforced why he has to tour for me. He's got that little bit of magic in open space, that until Wade comes back, isn't common among our other wingers.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 12 May 2014, 3:03 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:I caught the Gloucester game last night, and was impressed with May playing at 13 (his stupid YC aside). His first try was sublime, and reinforced why he has to tour for me. He's got that little bit of magic in open space, that until Wade comes back, isn't common among our other wingers.

I don't usually agree with Stuart Barnes, but there was a compilation he did of Charlie Hodgson the last time he was in international contention. It showed several sublime pieces of skill at club level - on each occasion accompanied by a "but would he have the time for that in an International...?"

I thought May did OK in the 6N, but he never had the time or space to work any magic. That's partly down to receiving the ball quite late, but one reason that happens is that it's all a lot faster in international rugby. Several times he visibly has to think about what to do next and crabbed in field. He will need to learn to react faster - or to time his movement better to receive the ball at pace - to be truly effective at international level. He might get more time at 13, but there's a long queue of 13s to get past...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 12 May 2014, 4:41 pm

Poorfour wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:I caught the Gloucester game last night, and was impressed with May playing at 13 (his stupid YC aside). His first try was sublime, and reinforced why he has to tour for me. He's got that little bit of magic in open space, that until Wade comes back, isn't common among our other wingers.

I don't usually agree with Stuart Barnes, but there was a compilation he did of Charlie Hodgson the last time he was in international contention. It showed several sublime pieces of skill at club level - on each occasion accompanied by a "but would he have the time for that in an International...?"

I thought May did OK in the 6N, but he never had the time or space to work any magic. That's partly down to receiving the ball quite late, but one reason that happens is that it's all a lot faster in international rugby. Several times he visibly has to think about what to do next and crabbed in field. He will need to learn to react faster - or to time his movement better to receive the ball at pace - to be truly effective at international level. He might get more time at 13, but there's a long queue of 13s to get past...

I agree with you about May's Six Nations. I don't think he'll make it as an international 13, unless at injury cover, because he's too lightweight which we saw against Italy when he got smashed by the opposing winger. He's a great winger though, and I think he'll come good with a bit more time to get used to the speed of the international game.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 12 May 2014, 4:47 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Poorfour wrote:

I agree with you about May's Six Nations. I don't think he'll make it as an international 13, unless at injury cover, because he's too lightweight which we saw against Italy when he got smashed by the opposing winger. He's a great winger though, and I think he'll come good with a bit more time to get used to the speed of the international game.

I think he'll score some corking tries if he does click. Its just a question of how long do we wait for him to do so. Wade/ Yarde seem to have taken to international rugby much quicker, but then you can see from players like Marler and 36 that there is mileage in persevering.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 12 May 2014, 5:00 pm

lostinwales wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Poorfour wrote:

I think he'll score some corking tries if he does click. Its just a question of how long do we wait for him to do so. Wade/ Yarde seem to have taken to international rugby much quicker, but then you can see from players like Marler and 36 that there is mileage in persevering.

Absolutely, it all depends on the individual. Wade is still very untested on the international stage, so we'll have to see how he is when he's back from injury. He has been out of rugby for a long long time now

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 12 May 2014, 5:01 pm

Yarde has come back with a vengeance though!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 12 May 2014, 5:57 pm

I don't remember. What was Wade's injury? How long has he been out - seems a long time?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 12 May 2014, 6:25 pm

Wade's been out since the AI's hasn't he? Got hurt in training or something.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 May 2014, 11:37 am

Yeh, something like that. I'm not sure what the injury is, but have a feeling it might be hamstring?

There was an article recently that mentioned he wouldn't be fit for the NZ tour, but if he is back in time, SL might decide to send him out to the states for a few weeks to work with a sprint coach. You know, because he's not fast enough!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 13 May 2014, 11:46 am

bluestonevedder wrote:Yarde has come back with a vengeance though!

Can't defend though!

That Granny who took on the gang of moped robbers would put in a bigger hit than Yarde.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 13 May 2014, 12:03 pm

Scrumpy wrote:

Can't defend though!

That Granny who took on the gang of moped robbers would put in a bigger hit than Yarde.

That is absolutely the most nonsensical comment I have seen on here for a while. Yarde's defence is excellent, and has been ever since he came into the London Irish first team.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 May 2014, 12:16 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Can't defend though!

That is absolutely the most nonsensical comment I have seen on here for a while.  Yarde's defence is excellent, and has been ever since he came into the London Irish first team.

I always thought his defence had been pretty decent too

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 13 May 2014, 12:36 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Can't defend though!

That is absolutely the most nonsensical comment I have seen on here for a while.  Yarde's defence is excellent, and has been ever since he came into the London Irish first team.

Yes, but you're not HERSH and you're not trying to WUM....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 May 2014, 2:00 pm

Jimpy wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Can't defend though!

Yes, but you're not HERSH and you're not trying to WUM....

or maybe..... Whistle 

Ha, no, jokes.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 14 May 2014, 1:26 pm

Its a few hours late but I just noticed that the red card to Melck in the Saracens/Tigers game has been dismissed. Seems sensible given that the supposed victim and Cockerill both supported Saracens complaint.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 1:46 pm

Austin didn't think much of Yarde's defence vs Glaws on BT Sport.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by thewaspsblog Wed 14 May 2014, 1:54 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Yeh, something like that. I'm not sure what the injury is, but have a feeling it might be hamstring?

There was an article recently that mentioned he wouldn't be fit for the NZ tour, but if he is back in time, SL might decide to send him out to the states for a few weeks to work with a sprint coach. You know, because he's not fast enough!

Wade injured his foot against London Irish back in November. The injury has been more complex than first thought and he needed addition surgery which meant he wasn't able to be fit in time for the end of our season and an inclusion to the NZ tour. He is heading to the States for rehab rather than sprint training as first reported - http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/trip-to-america-could-be-the-key-to-getting-christian-wade-back-on-track-9338234.html

thewaspsblog

http://www.thewaspsblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 14 May 2014, 2:35 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Austin didn't think much of Yarde's defence vs Glaws on BT Sport.

Wow, so BT Sports resident big mouth didn't think Yarde was good defensively in 1 match, therefore your opinion is that he is rubbish defensively full stop. Top work fella.  clap 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 14 May 2014, 2:44 pm

His defence was dreadful in that game, don't get me wrong he was great going forward but he will be exposed horribly in NZ.

To be honest I've avoided watching London Irish this season so to judge it on one game may be harsh, but he was woeful.  Wink 

How many games has he played this season?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 15 May 2014, 9:05 am

lostinwales wrote:Its a few hours late but I just noticed that the red card to Melck in the Saracens/Tigers game has been dismissed. Seems sensible given that the supposed victim and Cockerill both supported Saracens complaint.

Fair play to Cockerill for admitting that he thought the Melck card was unfair.

Lesson from that is surely to use the TMO.

As for Yarde - won't know how good his defence is or not at international level till it is truly tested.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 15 May 2014, 9:21 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Austin didn't think much of Yarde's defence vs Glaws on BT Sport.

Wow, so BT Sports resident big mouth didn't think Yarde was good defensively in 1 match, therefore your opinion is that he is rubbish defensively full stop.  Top work fella.  clap 
A bit harsh, Oz.

Austin and Ben seem to me to be very perceptive and honest in their views.

Mind you, I think that Dayglo is a pillock. And is the Barnsey of the BTS team.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 15 May 2014, 9:28 am

thewaspsblog wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:Yeh, something like that. I'm not sure what the injury is, but have a feeling it might be hamstring?

Wade injured his foot against London Irish back in November. The injury has been more complex than first thought and he needed addition surgery which meant he wasn't able to be fit in time for the end of our season and an inclusion to the NZ tour. He is heading to the States for rehab rather than sprint training as first reported - http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/trip-to-america-could-be-the-key-to-getting-christian-wade-back-on-track-9338234.html

Great post, thanks waspblog  OK 

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 15 May 2014, 9:29 am

Portnoys Complaint I agree I think Austin and Ben are good.

Dallaglio might not be great but it's unfair to say he's as bad as Barnes IMO. Though saying that I thought Dallaglio was atrocious when commentating in "the stinger" - Wasps-Gloucester. Far too biased towards Wasps.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 15 May 2014, 9:29 am

I don't mind any of them to be honest, although Dawson is the one I'd want to smack first, if I had a chance too! Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 15 May 2014, 9:36 am

beshocked wrote:Portnoys Complaint I agree I think Austin and Ben are good.

Dallaglio might not be great but it's unfair to say he's as bad as Barnes IMO. Though saying that I thought Dallaglio was atrocious when commentating in "the stinger" - Wasps-Gloucester. Far too biased towards Wasps.
To be fair, 'shocked, Barnesy has raised pillockry to the level of an art form and Doolally has only just set out in the wake of the Master.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 15 May 2014, 9:37 am

I've not said that any of them aren't knowledgable. My point, possibly badly put, is that 1 pundit states that Yarde defended badly in 1 game which was an end of season chuck around nothing on it, and all of a sudden consensus is that he is poor defender. It's utter nonsense.

At the start of the season he was excellent defensively. When he returned from injury he took a bit of time to get back up to being match sharp, but since he has been , his defence has been fine, notwithstanding the Gloucester game, which I've not watched in full to be honest.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 15 May 2014, 9:49 am

He was awful to be fair.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 15 May 2014, 9:55 am

To be fair Oz, I did conflate your comment with that of the inestimable Scrumps.

Anyway, if England improve as they should, they could well get into the luxury position of Australia in 1991 and have Yarde in like a Campese.

Fantastic finishers and dodgy defenders.

Bliss...

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4