The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Lara Beats Canelo, There No Reason Floyd Shouldn't Take Him?

+8
ONETWOFOREVER
mobilemaster8
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
jimdig
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
12 posters

Go down

If Lara Beats Canelo, There No Reason Floyd Shouldn't Take Him? Empty If Lara Beats Canelo, There No Reason Floyd Shouldn't Take Him?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 10 May 2014, 12:40 pm

The main reason people have been saying Lara doesn't get Floyd has been because he is a very dangerous guy, but he brings very little audience to a fight. Well, Canelo's audience will be tuning in to see him face Lara. Canelo's best two wins are Trout and Angulo, Lara's two wins are Trout and Angulo, they're pretty evenly matched fighters. Now let's say Lara seriously impresses and, let's not forget this fight has the capabilities of being a really good fight, the question will be out there in a strong voice, "Why doesn't this guy fight Floyd?"

He will have a stronger fanbase, and the fact that people will genuinely believe he can beat Floyd sells the fight. No one really thought Guerrero could beat Floyd and no one thought that Maidana could beat Floyd are one of the reasons as to why they were lower key events, coupled with the fact that they had smaller fanbases.

A few people will probably give the old "Floyd started his career at 130" debate, but if he's willing to go to 154 and face ODLH and take on the 154lb champion in Canelo and even have Canelo state that Floyd's the real champion at 154, then why wouldn't he face the biggest test at 154lbs when the options at 147lbs aren't really the greatest test? If Lara does win for me Floyd has to fight him in one of his final 3 fights...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

If Lara Beats Canelo, There No Reason Floyd Shouldn't Take Him? Empty Re: If Lara Beats Canelo, There No Reason Floyd Shouldn't Take Him?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 10 May 2014, 1:02 pm

So Canelo fans If he's beaten by Lara will become Lara fans..

I imagine most Mexicans will be peed off with him instead..

Funnily enough I didn't become a Honey fan after he beat Curry..

But Lara will have a case but forget the baloney about a new following.

Where is Bradley's after JMM..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

If Lara Beats Canelo, There No Reason Floyd Shouldn't Take Him? Empty Re: If Lara Beats Canelo, There No Reason Floyd Shouldn't Take Him?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 10 May 2014, 1:04 pm

Not saying he will have a massive following afterwards, I'm saying that more people will tune in to watch Lara afterwards, especially if he fights Floyd, especially if he beats Canelo well in a good fight. Due to the fact that people will really begin to think that he has a massive chance of beating Mayweather. Would be a bigger fight than nearly all at WW except for the select few that he doesn't seem capable of fighting like Bradley or Manny.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 10 May 2014, 1:12 pm

The Rigo fight post Donaire was in front of diddly..

He's Cuban and they aren't popular...and Mexicans are interested in Mexicans..

But hey what do I know

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 10 May 2014, 1:38 pm

The Rigo fight afterwards was against Agbeko, being the reason. Not a clamoured for event. Had no build up, no nothing. After seeing Lara beat Canelo people will want to see him face Floyd, boxing fans will want to see it. Would be billed close to a 50/50 as a Floyd fight will be for some time, that in itself sells to the casuals.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 10 May 2014, 1:43 pm

You've covered it all nicely, Alex. If Lara beats Alvarez then the only reason for the fight not happening before Mayweather retires is if either one of them doesn't want it. I can't stand this whole "he doesn't need to fight him because he doesn't bring enough money to the table" argument in any case, but Lara doesn't have to be a superstar in his own right to get in the ring with Mayweather, just as Guerrero wasn't.

Anyway, taking all that stuff out of the equation, if Lara does beat Alvarez then I'd be pretty mystified by any boxing fan who said that they didn't want to see it. How long has it been since Mayweather fought a pure boxer / stylist? Cotto was a boxer-puncher, fair enough, but that aside most of his recent opponents (Ortiz, Guerrero, Alvarez, Maidana) have been come-forward brawlers or attempted pressure fighters. Don't we want to see him taking on some different styles before he bows out? It's great seeing how Mayweather picks apart these aggressive fighters, counters them in to submission etc, but it's been so long since he was in there with a slick boxer that it's starting to become a little bit of an intrigue as to how he'd get on with one now.

Same network, would have beaten more than enough good names to get a fight with Floyd if some of Mayweather's recent choices of opponents are owt to go by, and presents a different style to the ones Mayweather has been dominating against recently....Can't really see any reason for the fight not to go ahead if Lara can do the business against Canelo. But he's got to actually do it first, mind you!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 10 May 2014, 1:51 pm

Who says he shouldn't fight him...

Just stop it

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 10 May 2014, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 10 May 2014, 2:45 pm

Mayweather will have options (other than a Maidana rematch) if Lara beats Canelo.

I think Mayweather had limited options after his fight with Canelo, He went from challenging all time PPV records, to having no bankable opponent, and make no mistake, with a guaranteed 32 million purse being handed over for every under selling Guerrero and Maidana bout, Shotime rather than Mayweather will be demanding a bankable opponent for September.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 10 May 2014, 2:45 pm

It depends on the manner of victory I guess (as to the likelihood of him landing it) but yes, as 154 champ, Mayweather should fight him should he win.

Hats off to Alvarez for taking this fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 10 May 2014, 2:49 pm

I wouldn't call Alvarez a come forward brawler or a pressure fighter Chris, he's a low output boxer if anything, doesn't force the pace of a fight at all.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 10 May 2014, 5:08 pm

I love this.

If he is big enough to win a belt at 154 and fight ODLH and Cotto, then why avoid Lara??

A bit like when Pacquiao also won a 154lbs title and refused to fights anyone at 154 as well!!

If your big enough to fight in that weight and win a title, then you should defend it.

Mayweather isn't the first and certainly isn't the last to make just a couple of appearances in a weight division he has no real right in being in for obvious reasons.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 10 May 2014, 5:23 pm

Mayweather isn't just a champion at 154lbs he is the champion so he then has an obligation to fight the top rated contenders at the weight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 10 May 2014, 5:44 pm

He hasn't any obligations.....Ray Leonard in the late 80s changed all the rules with his senior tour for alphabet titles...

Would like to see him fight Lara though and Garcia and Manny...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 10 May 2014, 5:46 pm

I couldn't give a toss what Leonard did Truss, just because one man did it doesn't mean everyone should follow the same blueprint.

Personally I want to see him fight Pacquiao, Martinez and Lara, cement yourself in the two divisions your the champion in and then create a bit of history with an unprecedented 5th lineal title.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 10 May 2014, 5:50 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I couldn't give a toss what Leonard did Truss, just because one man did it doesn't mean everyone should follow the same blueprint.

Personally I want to see him fight Pacquiao, Martinez and Lara, cement yourself in the two divisions your the champion in and then create a bit of history with an unprecedented 5th lineal title.

Mayweather hs proved himself without doubt or question.

He does not need Pacq or Lara. He is an ATG why can't you apprieciate him now because in 20 years time boxing fans will talk of how great he was.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 10 May 2014, 5:52 pm

As long as he is still fighting he should fight the best available opponents, were he to add Pacquiao and Lara to his resume then his reputation will be increased immeasurably. The Martinez fight is a bit of a long shot and not one he should take but would be a fitting way to end his career.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 10 May 2014, 6:01 pm

With some it will be enhanced Hammer...You honestly think the Haz, Rodders types will rate him higher for beating them

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 10 May 2014, 6:13 pm

In 20 years time the modern bunch will have elevated rapidly up the all time rankings. There will come a time when people look back fondly on this era and that is when Mayweather, Pacquiao, Jones and Hopkins will benefit, at the moment there's still a longing for the way it used to be.  The current time will be accepted for what it is eventually.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 10 May 2014, 6:15 pm

Think you're right Mate

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 10 May 2014, 6:55 pm

Undoubtedly this era will look better to most people in 20 years time. Its human nature.

I want to see mayweather fight pac and Lara. The pac fight is too late in many respects but I'd like to see him fight the best. Surely that's what any fan of the sport wants. To me it would enhance his legacy, can't speak for others.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 10 May 2014, 6:58 pm

Fight Pacquiao and Lara then whoever he wants and retire as the undisputed king between 147 and 154lbs, he's had an amazing career already but it can be improved.

Ending on a run of Guerrero, Alvarez, Maidana, Pacquiao, Lara and say Porter is a decent way to go out.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 10 May 2014, 11:32 pm

See what you're saying with regards to Alvarez, HH, and obviously not worded well enough by me! But my general point is the same. He's not a slick boxer. Flat footed, not much of a mover and not someone you have to go looking for. Been ages since Mayweather's been in there with a quick boxer who can be hard to get to and if (and it's a big if, of course) Lara gets past Canelo then he's the man who fits the description, but most seem to agree with that so it's much of muchness really.

Pacquiao and then Lara, if he wins, are the two outstanding possible opponents over the next twelve months for Floyd. Thurman says he wants the winner of Brook-Porter (and he's sure it'll be Porter) and if he gets that fight and wins, then by 2015 he could find himself the most in-demand Welterweight opponent for Mayweather.

In fact, there's a couple of members of our podcast team who think that Thurman already beats Floyd right now if they were to fight....But if anyone here hasn't listened yet then you'll have to if you want to find out which ones I'm talking about!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 10 May 2014, 11:42 pm

Were Brook and Thurman to meet then the winner would be an obvious choice, yes I do think Porter gets beaten by Brook. Brook and Pacquiao would result in a fully unified undisputed champion plus Lara at light middleweight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 11 May 2014, 8:01 pm

Not a snowballs chance in hell Mayweather would take the Lara fight. I also think Lara is going to have to put on a clinic just to have a chance of getting a decision against Alvarez. Win or lose Alvarez will jump to middleweight and fight Cotto/Martinez who would take the fight over Golovkin any day. Mayweather will probably fight Maidana again and look to fight Danny Garcia after, who is made for him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 11 May 2014, 8:02 pm

I'd back Lara to beat Floyd, personally. Have done for a while.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 12 May 2014, 9:04 am

If i was Floyd i would be avoiding fighters who might beat him like the plague now, Lara for me would likely beat him so why take the fight. He has been happy all his career to take a slightly easier route to greatness which is why he wont be rated with the SRR and SRLs of the world in time to come, but as one of the richest sportsmen in history maybe its the better way to do it. Lets be honest he has never lost any sleep over fighting the best at their best so he would be a fool to start getting brave at this stage of his career.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down