The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
incontinentia
super_realist
I'm never wrong
gaelgowfer
Shotrock
GPB
lorus59
pedro
beninho
Davie
Sand
kwinigolfer
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 2:51 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Another good tournament from Paul Casey at the Byron Nelson.
And, after a Round 2 back nine of 27, it could have been so much better.
Paul has "Past Champion" status on the PGA Tour and that only gets him in to about half of the tournaments at most.
Like Robert Karlsson at the end of last year, Casey's finding out the hard way how crucial it is to play well when diminished "status" actually offers the chance to play.
How has it come to pass that Casey, for all his years of success on both the European and PGA Tours, has to struggle like this?

2).He enjoyed a fabulous Amateur record, both Collegiately at Arizona State where his achievements rivalled or bettered those of T.Woods, and in Britain where he won the English Amateur two years running, and all his four Walker Cup matches in 1999.
Seven events in to his European Tour career he visited the winners enclosure, ironically at Gleneagles. By 2004 he was in Bernhard Langer's winning Ryder Cup Team, he won the 2006 European Tour Order of Merit and the sky was the limit. He flirted with Special Temporary Membership of the PGA Tour, but didn't secure a full card until 2009. The BMW PGA title rocketed him to #3 in the owgr, and 2010 saw him in the final group at St.Andrews with King Louis.

3).Meanwhile, compadres like Donald, Poulter and Rose had been registering "Official" prize money for years. Despite making over $6M just in 2009 & 2010, injuries, turf toe, an accident on the ski slopes, divorce and gawd-knows-what-else cooled his jets. He tried to play through injury and, as even the Undercover Pro will tell us, that's a no-no. Health will get worse, form will get worser and the PGA Tour "playing privilege" system is unforgiving.

4).Winnings of less than $600K in 2011 was not enough to retain his card and he skipped Q-School. 2012 saw just $60K in his US bank and opportunities dried up in 2013. Thank goodness for his Irish Open win which gave his owgr status some buoyancy. Now he's apparently fit and has squeezed in to 8 tournaments in 2013/2014 with five Top 20 finishes, good enough for 121st in the crucially important FedEx Points race.
But: With the season 2/3 over, he can only expect to tee it up about four or five more times. Unless he scores a win!

5).The good news is that he squeaked in to this week's "Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial" and his two trips there so far have been profitable: 5th in 2009 and 13th in 2010. 4th place this week would see him very close to earning his 2014/2015 card, a podium would wrap it up.

6).Let's not speculate any more, but Casey's experience is not dissimilar to that of other "International" PGA Tour players; woebetide anyone who loses form as he tries to play through injury or wastes PGA Tour opportunities by chasing appearance money around the World. Cabrera and Yang lose their exemption this year unless they buck up their ideas, Harrington will have to use a one-time "earnings" exemption, and Oosthuizen will lose his card after next season, all if they fail to reach the Top 125.
Web.com Finals for the lot of you, or revert, as Casey has done, to Past Champions status and not know, from one week to the next, where or whether you'll be playing.
(Karlsson lost Memphis play-offs two years running and is in an even worse pickle. US career hanging by a thread.)
All top, top players.

7).We said Brendon Todd would win soon on Tour, just didn't expect it in Dallas. An extraordinary short game display earned him the win, from Mike Weir who, out of the blue, turned in to the Mike Weir of old. Several parallels between Weirsy's experience and that of Casey, of course.

8).Colonial is Ben Hogan's shrine in Fort Worth. It's a real horses-for-courses track, Furyk might not win it but he loves the place, Zach Johnson, Tim Clark (if only he'd show some form), Toms etc. Brian Davis was desperately unlucky not to win a few years ago and Kuchar and Spieth are back for more.
Adam Scott was a late sign-up and goes for the Texas Grand Slam having already won at Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.
Most of the Europeans are at Wentworth, but one interesting invitation went to 2012 Challenge Tour winner Julien Brun who left France for University in Fort Worth. And wouldn't you think Colonial will suit Russell Knox?
Perhaps a shilling each way on Casey & Knox?

9).We'll keep on saying it: Tom Watson must be getting anxious about some of his Ryder Cup horses. Who knows about Woods or Phil, or Stricker for that matter?
Snedeker and Bradley continue to struggle; maybe Dufner and Mahan will finally find their form this week?
Early season hotshots English and Reed don't have a Top Ten between them, and have missed more cuts than they've made since Reed's Top Five at Doral.

10).Any European Senior worth any salt at all will be playing the Senior PGA in Michigan, where Roger Chapman broke through two years ago. Stephen Ames makes his Champions Tour debut, following Andrade, Durant, Jimenez and Maggert among others. Lee Janzen, Verplank and Kevin Sutherland will soon follow.
Anyway, another week, another "Major" for the Seniors. I thought these four-round tournaments might favour Montgomerie, but he faded/tired last week and must be wondering whether he'll ever win over here.
One tip: Do some sit-ups.
Another tip: Ask Kenny Perry. He's won the last three Senior Majors.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Mon 26 May 2014, 4:37 pm

Simon Griffiths has completed 36 holes at 7 under and earned a spot to Pinehurst.

Simon Griffiths is ranked well outside the top 1000 and went through local Qualifying in Lake Wales Florida a few weeks ago.

I know most of the names in the OWGR, but Simon Griffiths is a new name to me.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 May 2014, 6:25 pm

Plenty of guys rushing back from Wentworth to play Chez Jack:
Aiken, Alfie Barnrat, Colsaerts, Donald, Els, Grace, McIlroy, Olesen, Rose and Schwartzel, maybe some others.

Some other Europeans will be battling jet-lag from Fort Worth along with the rump of the PGA Tour: Brian Davis, Freddie Jac, Knox, Laird, Lingmerth and Pettersson. And Paul Casey who seems to have lucked out with an invitation; hope he takes advantage.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 May 2014, 7:39 pm

from the Irish Golf Desk

8 Shane Lowry 69 67

-7 Simon Griffiths, Garth Mulroy

-5 Maximilian Kieffer, Marcel Siem, Shiv Kapur, Brooks Koepka, Graeme Storm, Chris Doak

-4 Andrea Pavan, Oliver Fisher, Morten Ørum Madsen

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 May 2014, 8:04 pm

Good for Shane Lowry.
And good opportunity for Koepka.
Wouldn't you think he'd stay in the States now if he wants to wrap up his card for next year?

A year of (semi) redemption for Olly Fisher and: Is Maxi Kieffer going to be a good player? Can't tell from here.

GPB,
I think Simon Griffiths might play on the Asian Tour nowadays - he's been around in the owgr netherest regions for years/decades.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 May 2014, 8:40 pm

Six-man playoff for 4 spots on holes No 1, 17 & 18

140 (-4) Andrea Pavan, Oliver Fisher, Morten Ørum Madsen, Danny Willett, Tom Lewis, Lucas Bjerregaard

Edit #1:  Tom Lewis is going to Pinehurst.  Made a 40 ft putt. No word on the others

Edit #2: Pavan, O Fisher, Bjerregaard were the first three to advance with a birdie on playoff hole #1, Madson Bogeyed Hole #2 to drop out and Lewis dropped a bomb on the third playoff hole to knock out Willett.

Last edited by GPB on Mon 26 May 2014, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 26 May 2014, 9:01 pm

Did anyone mention that Monty finally got his first major..... No it's not a joke..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 May 2014, 9:06 pm

James Ross from Edinburgh Scotland tied for the lead in the NCAA Championship.

He plays for Univ of Houston.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 May 2014, 9:22 pm

GPB,
Here's a name you couldn't make up, representing Oklahoma (and quite well too!):
Beau Titsworth
I wonder what is the origin of the name Titsworth?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 May 2014, 10:06 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:GPB,
Here's a name you couldn't make up, representing Oklahoma (and quite well too!):
Beau Titsworth
I wonder what is the origin of the name Titsworth?

Yes I saw that name when I scanned the scores earlier.

Whats are Titsworth? About $5 tip in the G-String at the local Gentlemen's club.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 27 May 2014, 9:21 am

Great job winning the US Open qualifier Shane. I get the feeling Shane will be a golfer in the mould of Harrington- someone who will probably have a lot of runner up finishes before learning how to win. His game is definitely suited to the Open championship, and I'd hope he could pick up a couple of these in his 30's.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 9:28 am

Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 27 May 2014, 9:54 am

super_realist wrote:Laugh
shut up
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 10:01 am

If Shane Lowry ever wins a major, I'll praise him for a month

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 27 May 2014, 10:17 am

super_realist wrote:If Shane Lowry ever wins a major, I'll praise him for a month

That's a bit of a non-bet from your perspective - if he wins a major, then almost by definition he's actually worthy of praise.

How about if Shane wins a major you praise the Lord everyday for a month..religiously. And publicly.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 10:19 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:If Shane Lowry ever wins a major, I'll praise him for a month

That's a bit of a non-bet from your perspective - if he wins a major, then almost by definition he's actually worthy of praise.

How about if Shane wins a major you praise the Lord everyday for a month..religiously. And publicly.

Absolutely not, If Fat Lowry wins a major, I'll say well done, it won't have anything to do with a fictitious jewish sky zombie

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 27 May 2014, 10:23 am

super_realist wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:

Absolutely not, If Fat Lowry wins a major, I'll say well done, it won't have anything to do with a fictitious jewish sky zombie

So you do think he might win a major or there would be no risk of you having to.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 10:26 am

I don't think he'll win, but you never know. However, under no circumstances will I ever praise a god.
Primarily not because I think the concept of god is disgusting and immoral, but because why would I praise a third party for Lowry's achievement?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 11:12 am

Interesting suggestion of similarity between careers of Lowry & Harrington.
Don't see it myself, they appear two completely different personalities and golfers.
But, if Lowry has half the success that Harrington has enjoyed, he'll've done very well.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 May 2014, 12:22 pm

Sadly for lowry any comparison is futile as there is no way anyone will fluke 3 majors again. I also agree with Kwini that personality wise Harrington is unique, thankfully, as the guy comes off as a real prat. I really can't stand hearing the pseudoscience that spills out of his mouth about the mechanics of the game and psychology in general.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 12:32 pm

I make fun of Harrington for looking like an idiot, having his eyes too close together and walking like a penguin, but he certainly didn't fluke any majors, at the time he worked incredibly hard, and did a lot of psychology to help his game.

Not sure what's wrong with that Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 27 May 2014, 12:49 pm

Incredibly disrespectful to say Harrington fluked his Majors. His 2008 Majors were some of the best closing out of tournaments I have seen EVER. And while he choked a bit at Carnoustie, he showed remarkable resolve to recover from that and perform in the play off. His back 9 at the PGA against Garcia was phenomenal.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 1:20 pm

!!!!
Not sure your "fluke" comment does anything to enhance the credibility of other posts you make, Mac.
Actually think Lowry could very well come up with a Major one day; he has the shot-making ability to do it - a bit like Darren Clarke, if he can summon the mental and physical stamina, you never know . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 27 May 2014, 1:23 pm

McLaren wrote:I really can't stand hearing the pseudoscience that spills out of his mouth about the mechanics of the game and psychology in general.

Try not listening.

Harrington is nuts - and I think endearingly so, but I can see why he's not to everyone's taste. He's deserved everything he's got from the game due to hard work and maximising his talent. You can't ask for more than that. Plus he keeps his brother in law gainfully employed.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 27 May 2014, 1:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:!!!!
Not sure your "fluke" comment does anything to enhance the credibility of other posts you make, Mac.
Actually think Lowry could very well come up with a Major one day; he has the shot-making ability to do it - a bit like Darren Clarke, if he can summon the mental and physical stamina, you never know . . . . .

This.

Ability gives most top golfer the possibility of winning a major but not the probability - the odds are stacked against them more so than in a "normal" event - the added pressure, the course difficulty, the strength of field and the relative rarity of the majors makes them harder to win. Ability is a necessary ingredient, but not the only one - take for example the original theme of this thread - Paul Casey. Ability wise he's right up there but in my opinion he's under performed over his career so far compared to many with the same talent level due to a whole range of factors, some of which he has to take responsibility for.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 May 2014, 1:50 pm

Kwini

It seems my Harrington is your tiger.  Wink 

In seriousness, Harrington - although a top 10 player for a number of years beforehand - did have one of the highest peaks compared to normal performance levels of almost any other player in recent history.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 1:52 pm

Harrington also had a staggering number of second places in top events, not like he did a Todd Hamilton x 3 was it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 27 May 2014, 1:57 pm

Didn't the last qualifier at Walton Heath for a US Open played at Pinehurst win it all? (Michael Campbell, who has hardly been heard from since.)

A friend of mine who almost never misses the activities at WH said the weather was awful, so kudos to Lowry for posting a fine number.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 2:01 pm

Bob,
True that about Casey, still the most talented English golfer of the post-Faldo era in my book, but talent will only take one so far.

Mac,
Ah, but I will never say Woods fluked 14 Majors, or even three. I don't much care for him, but never doubt for one minute his brilliance as a golfer, or his ability to win, albeit at all costs.

Sr,
Campbell went on to have a very fine season post-Pinehurst. Too bad he won't be able to play this year. Didn't he finish right behind Lowry in Portugal a couple of years ago?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 May 2014, 2:21 pm

Kwini

As I made clear in my last post, I said fluke as a wind up, but Harington was clearly a very unlikely 3 time major winner.

He has more major wins than regular PGA tour wins. That must be a bit of an anomaly?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 27 May 2014, 2:25 pm

He's a major specialist mac.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 2:30 pm

Anomaly?
Why??
Faldo has six Majors, only 3 "regular" Tour wins.
Seve five and four.
Cabrera has two Majors (almost three), no "regular" wins.

Curiously, if Harrington "fluked" any wins, they were his Honda and Westchester exploits.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 May 2014, 2:31 pm

Here is a list of 3 time major winners and how many regular PGA tour events they won

Cary Middlecoff 37
Vijay Singh 31
Jimmy Demaret  28
Tommy Armour  22
Hale Irwin  17
Julius Boros  15
Nick Price  15
Ralph Guldahl  13
Denny Shute  13
Payne Stewart  8
Larry Nelson  7
Pádraig Harrington 2
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 2:36 pm

so what Mac, I'm sure you could also make a list of Major winners compared to Cheese Sandwiches and get something equally meaningless.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 2:45 pm

Mac,
I think you're cracking up.
Suggest you post something on here to disparage the records of El Pato, Faldo and Ballesteros; or Peter Thomson for that matter - he was five and one.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 May 2014, 2:56 pm

Kwini

You do not have to view this as disparaging Harrington, I am just trying to point out that for a 3 time major winner he did not have the same type of career as the other people in that category.

This could be a sign of stronger fields on the pga tour in his era for example, but it is clear there was something different about him as a multiple major winner. As you bring up seve and faldo is it worth considering the fact these players are european and therefore less focused on a pga tour win?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 3:02 pm

Guess what Mac, of all your major winners, only Singh (just) was in the same era as Harrington.
Can you compare the major winners of completely difference generations?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 3:21 pm

Forgive me, Mac, but I thought Harrington was European?
Remember Faldo and Seve played plenty of years as PGA Tour players.
Are they straws you're clutching?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 May 2014, 3:30 pm

Kwini

What is your problem with asking the question of why Harrington has so few regular PGA tour wins?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 3:32 pm

Mac, you've simply collected data that proves your point. Confirmation bias and it's very transparent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 May 2014, 3:55 pm

Super

I don't have a point, I have a question. It seems Harrington does not fit the career profile of a 3 times major champion. Which is not a problem and does not question his talent or worth as a major winner in any way. I am only asking that someone offer a theory as to why he differs from a lot of his peers?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 27 May 2014, 4:04 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I don't have a point, I have a question. It seems Harrington does not fit the career profile of a 3 times major champion.  Which is not a problem and does not question his talent or worth as a major winner in any way.  I am only asking that someone offer a theory as to why he differs from a lot of his peers?

Perhaps he did it with "pseudoscience about the mechanics of the game and psychology in general"?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 May 2014, 4:05 pm

Yet, you fail to ask the same question in regards to other players who have won fewer PGA (or a low number of events in comparison to Major wins) such as Cabrera as pointed out, or McDowell.

You also don't compare him to peers, you compare him to people from yesteryear.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 4:06 pm

Mac,
You bin drinking again?
I'm just trying to show that plenty of non-American Major Champions show the same sort of pattern:
Does Faldo match the "profile" of 6-time Champs?
Or Seve or Peter Thomson the "profile" of 5-time winners?

Harrington is a worthy 3-time Major winner whose game has fallen apart. What's wrong with acknowledging the excellence of a player in his prime?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 May 2014, 7:55 pm

Wasn't sure what schedules some Europeans were playing in preparation for Pinehurst.
McIlroy, Donald, Rose etc playing Memorial this week.
McDowell, Poulter, Westwood signed up to play Memphis next week. (Disappointing that Karlsson is not in the field so far . . . . . . )

Also see that Mrs Lukey gave birth to daughter #3 during Round 2 at Wentworth last week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 28 May 2014, 10:12 am

Don't think it's right to talk about Harrington, Cabrera and Faldo's major wins compared to their PGA Tour wins. All played several years on the ET with several wins. So did McDowell, Goosen and Immelman. And Todd Hamilton won the Asian OOM merit several times as far as I recall.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3