The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Memphis Slim: Notes from the Ballwasher

+17
sirbenson
Lairdy
raycastleunited
GPB
SmithersJones
Davie
pedro
Diggers
Shotrock
JAS
beninho
Bob_the_Job
super_realist
lorus59
McLaren
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Memphis Slim: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Memphis Slim: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 31 May 2014, 2:13 am

First topic message reminder :

Just a few notes as the Ballwasher will be on the road for eight days, but here's a thread to start off next week's tournament:

1).Early days obviously, but what a start for Paul Casey at The Memorial.
Casey needs something like a 4th place finish to earn full Tour privileges for the 2014/2015 season. But a win or (depending upon other results) a solo 2nd would earn him a tee-time at Pinehurst. Otherwise, he'll be playing next Monday's Sectional Qualifier.

2).The final event before a Major is notoriously difficult to evaluate - do you expect a golfer who's hoping to be competitive at the following week's Major to take the spoils (as Mickelson has done a few times and Tiger once or twice)? Or do you invest in a guy for whom the win is victory enough, anything the following week a bonus?? Which, to be fair, the Memphis winners have been recently.

3).There have been a couple of English winners in the past four years, Westwood and Harris, and no reason not to expect an overseas win again. The European commitments include McDowell, Poulter and Westwood, plus other ET regulars like Casey, Clarke, Dubuisson, Gonzo, Harrington and Olesen.
Davis and Freddie Jac have good records here, and might be worth a flutter, but my each way investment this week would be on an American, Kevin Kisner, a Carolina boy who played junior golf with Dustin Johnson and has yo-yoed (West Brommed?) betwen the web.com and the "show" for years now. But it looks like he'll stick on the PGA Tour and will earn a top finish soon. This week hopefully. (John Peterson will get his sh1t together one day soon, probably at a tournament like this - always keep an eye on him!)

4).Messrs McDowell, Reed and Simpson are returning from nocturnal nappy niceties; Reed should arguably have won here last year, but stumbled thru the final nine holes. Imagine he'll be playing a lot now as Top Five has resembled Bottom Five the past few months and he won't be proud of that. No idea about Simpson, but his golf has been no better than so-so since his Las Vegas win six months ago. Both, and McDowell for that matter, need a good finish to kick-start their Ryder Cup qualification efforts.

5).No idea how Memorial will turn out as I write this, but it looks like Dufner, Phil, Chris Kirk, Todd and Ryan Moore could all earn big Ryder Cup points this week - and that could push guys like Zach, English, Reed, Simpson, Bradley, Snedeker, Mahan and others further and further back in the qualifying pecking order. More grey hairs for Tom Watson. Hopefully!

There will likely be a boatload of abdications from this Friday's commitments, so bettor beware: today's commitment may well be tomorrow's withdrawal. More notes to follow during the next few days. Maybe!

6).#6 came sooner than expected. Hadn't seen these WTF changes until just now.
It might seem arcane in the extreme, but it's a very big deal for those affected:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/major-webcom-tour-finals-changes-midway-through-season/

Daft changing rules halfway through a season, but it corrects a boneheaded flaw in the original process, and which we ridiculed at the time last September.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Memphis Slim: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Memphis Slim: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Tue 03 Jun 2014, 8:28 pm

Here's a story to add to the legend (not the self taught one, think we've covered that):

I had a caddie at Merion who claims (no reason for me to believe otherwise) to have worked the 1981 US Open. While he wasn't Seve's caddie, he was marshaling the 2nd hole where he saw Seve put it deep into a fairway bunker on the left side. Instead of punching out (as most mortals would do) Seve opted to play a massive draw over Ardmore Avenue (out of bounds) instead. Made par. So, not only did he see things others may not have, he was skilled enough to pull it off. One of the greats of the game.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Memphis Slim: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Memphis Slim: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:46 am

Lairdy wrote:Not been on here for a while but was delighted to read that Bradley's putting was being slated, not because I (overly) dislike the lad, but more because I can roll this one out...

Can we, from now on, refer to him as "Keekin' Badly"? Keekin' being a Scottish (or at least a UK) word for peeping - or to look out one eye...

Seconded!
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 04 Jun 2014, 9:40 am

Shotrock wrote:Here's a story to add to the legend (not the self taught one, think we've covered that):

I had a caddie at Merion who claims (no reason for me to believe otherwise) to have worked the 1981 US Open. While he wasn't Seve's caddie, he was marshaling the 2nd hole where he saw Seve put it deep into a fairway bunker on the left side. Instead of punching out (as most mortals would do) Seve opted to play a massive draw over Ardmore Avenue (out of bounds) instead. Made par. So, not only did he see things others may not have, he was skilled enough to pull it off. One of the greats of the game.

Which lets face it is exactly the same kind of shot that Bubba would maybe try and play and actually be able to pull off.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:18 am

Diggers wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Here's a story to add to the legend (not the self taught one, think we've covered that):

Which lets face it is exactly the same kind of shot that Bubba would maybe try and play and actually be able to pull off.
Bubba would fade it!  Run

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 04 Jun 2014, 1:49 pm

Diggers wrote:Indeed Ben, I think everyone got Dave's point but they weren't claiming that Seve perpetuated the myth or legend, just that one existed.
Not everyone is going to read his autobiography. Like I said its done by the commentators half the time who clearly love to spin a nice romantic yarn.

Diggers you should read Seve's autobiography. Great read, nothing like a typical dreary sportsman bio.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 04 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
Diggers wrote:Indeed Ben, I think everyone got Dave's point but they weren't claiming that Seve perpetuated the myth or legend, just that one existed.
Not everyone is going to read his autobiography. Like I said its done by the commentators half the time who clearly love to spin a nice romantic yarn.

Diggers you should read Seve's autobiography. Great read, nothing like a typical dreary sportsman bio.

I'm sure its a good read Ray but I'm a fiction man to be honest. I did read Supermac's autobiography which was meant to be great and I didn't enjoy that much, thought it was a good example of why sportsmen should use ghost writers.
I know its heresy but I wasn't that much of a Seve fan, was too busy pulling for Sir Nick. Can appreciate what a brilliant player he was though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 04 Jun 2014, 5:01 pm

Yevgeny Kafelnikov is making his 14th pro start on either the EuroT or Challenge Tour this week in the Lyoness Open.

He has yet to make a cut.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 04 Jun 2014, 9:47 pm

Yes as a rule of thumb sportsmen should use ghost writers. Imagine a book by Wayne Rooney? It would be written in crayon. However Seve wrote his himself apparently, although I should read the Spanish version for the genuine article.

Best golf book I've ever read is Tilting at Windmills, more fact than fiction but hilarious insight into mini golf.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:10 pm

I did enjoy "4 Iron in the Soul", really good read.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Jun 2014, 6:59 am

GPB wrote:Yevgeny Kafelnikov is making his 14th pro start on either the EuroT or Challenge Tour this week in the Lyoness Open.

He has yet to make a cut.

I think the last time he played he shot 88 or something. Utterly deplorable. There is a lot of guys on this forum who wouldn't be that bad.

He isn't even good enough to play on a Club Professionals tour let alone the Challenge Tour.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 05 Jun 2014, 12:55 pm

The winner always the week before a major should qualify imo!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

Certainly not the Lyoness Open. Only 3 players ranked in the Top 100 is in the field. But Weisberger will get an 11th exemption if he should win.

If Anyone ranked down to #120 wins Memphis, they should get an 11th hour exemption too. #122 Harman, #124 Bowditch and #123 Tringale have an outside shot should they win.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

Kafelnikov doing well: even par after 7 holes, currently T34.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 05 Jun 2014, 4:01 pm

Kafelnikov has been playing these pro tournaments longer than I thought.

I played the Russian Open on the Challenge Tour way back in 2005.

This is his 20th tournament.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Jun 2014, 4:07 pm

He's not an acceptable standard to play these events. He's an embarrassment. Finished last by 20 shots in one event.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 05 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm

He is putting up a better performance so far.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Jun 2014, 4:25 pm

His card is awash with inconsistent golf, but yes, he's doing better than his normal dismal scores.
If he beats +5 I'll be surprised.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 05 Jun 2014, 4:33 pm

There seems to be a lot of crrap making up the numbers in the event anyway, having Yevgeny play does not really make an impact. ANd everyone loves a trier.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 05 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm

Kafelnikov is the only topic of conversation for the Lyoness Open.

That is worth having him in the field.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Jun 2014, 8:40 pm

+7. What a chopper, I knew he'd bottle it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 05 Jun 2014, 9:35 pm

GPB wrote:Kafelnikov is the only topic of conversation for the Lyoness Open.

That is worth having him in the field.
Let's not forget about the tournament leader: Adam Gee.... picard 

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:28 am

Good to see young Wiltshire Amateur (Jordan Smith from Bowood) in his first Tour event put in a steady 1st round (-1).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 06 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

WTF was Freddie Jacobson thinking?

Freddie Jacobson skipped Sectional Qualifying for US Open in Vero Beach because he thought finishing T2 this week in Memphis was going to be easier than finishing top 4 in a weaker field sectional Qualifier in Vero Beach.

On what planet does he think finishing 2nd in a full field of PGATour pros is easier than finishing fourth in a 55 player field of mostly Mini-tour players.

He still might Get'R Done in Memphis, but there is NFW that the Hurdle in Memphis is lower than the one in Vero Beach.

Here are the players/results in Vero Beach.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/qualifying/sectional/r_2013 04171366227976902.html

I think there is one player that have ever won a pgatournament (Brian Gay) and one other name that a normal PGATour fan had ever heard of. Nick O'Hern.

If you don't want to play a 36 hole qualifier in Florida, just say so. don't say something stupid to rationalize it.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm

I wonder how Yevgeny would perform in qualifying.

Maybe Freddie Jac, is not really that bothered about playing the US Open.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:28 pm

The USGA can never accused of being dull when they put their groups together!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:02 pm

I see Kafelnikov hacked his way round to a 10 over round for today.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:30 pm

sirbenson wrote:The USGA can never accused of being dull when they put their groups together!
Kevin Stadler - de Jonge - Shane Lowry.  Laugh 
That's by far my favorite grouping!!!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 07 Jun 2014, 8:17 am

pedro wrote:
sirbenson wrote:The USGA can never accused of being dull when they put their groups together!

Ha ha, that's genius. I wonder what the collective weight is. Seismic sensors will be experiencing a few tremors in the Pinehurst area.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 07 Jun 2014, 8:10 pm

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:

Ha ha, that's genius. I wonder what the collective weight is. Seismic sensors will be experiencing a few tremors in the Pinehurst area.
Greenkeepers nightmare.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Sat 07 Jun 2014, 9:50 pm

Luiten on track / within touching distance of a Ryder Cup  qualification spot should he win. High up on the sagarin as well; I believe he is Europe's no 9 there

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Sat 07 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm

Freddie Jac is only one spot shy of a well earned prize

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 2:16 am

Team GB&I is getting routed in the Curtis Cup.

Some ahem "interesting" first names from Team GB&I.

Eilidh Briggs
Gemma Dryburgh
Bronte Law
Tegwen Matthews is the Captain

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Jun 2014, 12:51 pm

'Allo, 'Allo,
Who's going to win in Memphis then? They'll be off in a moment with a decent, not perfect, forecast ahead of them so hopefully we'll see a finish today.
Crane seems to win about every three years, just when least expected, so he's due. But sleeping on the lead might (hopefully will) take its toll so a great opportunity for someone in the pack (Casey?) to freewheel it and apply some pressure.

I see CBS has sent their "C" Team to Memphis; wonder how the sponsors feel about the broadcaster deliberately diminishing their event?

A mess in the Curtis Cup, no doubt; but those names aren't unusual GPB, though Bronte is an exception. Makes me think I should have called my son Heller.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Jun 2014, 1:15 pm

First hole of resumed play in the books and Crane birdies from 30 feet, Casey gets down in three from 24 ft.
Terrific!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 1:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:'A mess in the Curtis Cup, no doubt; but those names aren't unusual GPB, though Bronte is an exception. Makes me think I should have called my son Heller.

I guess Brits are the only ones allowed to deem a name, "unusual".

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Jun 2014, 2:11 pm

Just a question of heritage of language, GPB.
I don't know the heritage of Notah, but no-one would criticize a name based upon native heritage.
Incidentally, I see an American girl playing at Roland Garros goes by the name of "Tornado"; no word yet as to whether she has a sibling called Derecho, or even Vulcan.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

Pssst Kwini, The USA severed ties with King George III almost 250 years ago.  

We are a melting pot of cultures over here.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 08 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:'A mess in the Curtis Cup, no doubt; but those names aren't unusual GPB, though Bronte is an exception. Makes me think I should have called my son Heller.

I guess Brits are the only ones allowed to deem a name, "unusual".

A kid in my daughters class is called Wolfie...actual birth name FFS.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

Shaping up nicely in Memphis, though not for Padraig Harrington who has "parlayed" a competitive position after two rounds in to a fiasco in Round 3: NINE over par for his last ten holes.
So much for the "Class is permanent" mantra.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Sun 08 Jun 2014, 4:43 pm

Burnt Wiesburger lost the playoff in Austria meaning he has to keep his fingers crossed?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 6:42 pm

themightyone wrote:Burnt Wiesburger lost the playoff in Austria meaning he has to keep his fingers crossed?

By finishing 2nd, Weisberger became the bubble boy at #60. But no one at Memphis is doing anything that will affect his #60 ranking. It looks like he can talk to a travel agent about flights to Charlotte NC.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Jun 2014, 7:46 pm

Crazy good round (64) from Poulter in Memphis - he and Miguel are stealthily catching up to Martin Kaymer for the ninth position in the current Ryder Cup standings.
Westwood falling further off the pace following his back-nine catastrophe, and subsequent early drive to Pinehurst, in Round 2.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 8:12 pm

It is becoming quite a dogfight for the last two or three automatic spots for Team Europe.

Mickelson looks like he will barely pass Chris Kirk for the 9th and final automatic spot on for Team USA.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 08 Jun 2014, 9:52 pm

To be fair Eilidh is a traditional name in Scots Gaelic, and Tegwen in the Welsh language, just not so common to people with experience of English names only. Gemma is quite a common one in the UK in general - 3rd most popular birth name in 1984 according to this random website.
http://www.babynames.co.uk/meaning_origin_name_Gemma.htm

Never met a Bronte in my life though, that's a definite weird one. And that's from someone who has (English) cousins who have named kids Griffin and Marley.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:12 pm

And there is a culture here in the States where children are named after Surnames of Maternal Grandfathers and Maiden names.

The USA is 238 years removed from the thumb of the Monarchy and we don't do all things like you Brits do.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:24 pm

I think the fascination with US names on here is more the fact that the unusual ones are disproportionately golfers compared to other walks of life. No doubt there is a long-standing naming tradition in the US that is spawning the Chessons, Hudsons and other less common ones; but there don't seem to be as many of those sort of name among US tennis players, for example. Dunno whether it's a comment on the section of US society which pro golfers are often drawn from; or just coincidence.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:47 pm

Web-com's Cleveland Open is on their NINTH playoff hole.

A Kiwi and a SAFfer. Stephen Alker and Dawie van der Walt.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Jun 2014, 11:21 pm

Was that the most booorrring golf broadcast ever?

You'd think that, on their beloved tape delay, they could edit it to make it more interesting. But, NO! They make it worse. Interminable self-promotions, their "A" Team were wise to stay away.
'Course, it's hardly CBS's fault that they had to advance tee-times to make sure Ben Crane finished before dark . . . . . .

Fair do's to Crane in the end, unexpected flashes of brilliance to start with, fortitude to bring home the bacon, though sure it will be streaky, just like his putting in Rounds 1 & 2.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 08 Jun 2014, 11:33 pm

Webbies are now on their 11th playoff hole.

Edit: Kiwi (Steve Alker) wins the 11th playoff with a PAR. The previous 10 holes were halved with Pars.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Jun 2014, 11:38 pm

Wow,
Steve Alker comes out of the woodwork every year or so; must define "journeyman" pro golfer as much as anyone. Played well for a while in the US Open a year or so ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next