The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post War World Class English Fighters?

+9
Nico the gman
Seanusarrilius
Scottrf
Strongback
JabMachineMK2
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
shenglong2014
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post War World Class English Fighters? Empty Post War World Class English Fighters?

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:30 pm

Was wondering if anyone could name any world class level post war English fighters, fighters who travelled to the States and beat all comers, the type of fighter that held longevity at the very top of any of the weight classes? A real undisputed p4p king. Trying my best but cant think of many?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post War World Class English Fighters? Empty Re: Post War World Class English Fighters?

Post by catchweight Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm

Lennox Lewis?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post War World Class English Fighters? Empty Re: Post War World Class English Fighters?

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:35 pm

I had thought of Lennox but with their being question marks over his nationality and doubts about his chin I just cant include him....and if we conceded that Lewis was genuinely world class are we saying that is the only one?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm

Lennox Lewis was genuinely world class, no two ways about that, not sure why travelling to the States is such an important criteria, no different to an American travelling elsewhere.

Lewis, Hatton, Hamed and Froch are all world class.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:40 pm

I cant see how if the criteria is a fighter who had longevity and was undisputed best at the top of any of the weight classes you can include Hatton, Froch or Hamed? Explain....

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:42 pm

I'm ignoring the criteria because it doesn't define world class while Hamed and Hatton were both lineal champions at their weight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:46 pm

Okay so define world class.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:48 pm

Amongst the best in the world.

Conteh, Turpin, Downes, Mills, Bruno, Haye, Khan, Benn, Eubank, Honeyghan, Hodkinson and Ingle were all world class too.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:51 pm

Traditionally Sheng, when you have been on here how has introducing nationalism into your output worked out for you?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:54 pm

If Lewis isnt world class then who is? He fought under the British flag as a pro and was born in England. Why wouldnt he count?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 7:01 pm

Yeah trying to discount Lewis is an old trick of Sheng's. Don't bite lads.

I'd say Ghostys list is pretty accurate. Not sure about Honey but can't deny the others.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 7:19 pm

Real world class Khan Hodgkinson Eubank Benn and wait for it......Bruno lol. Dilluded boys. Clueless. Absolutley clueless.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 7:19 pm

Real world class Khan Hodgkinson Eubank Benn and wait for it......Bruno lol. Dilluded boys. Clueless. Absolutley clueless.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Jun 2014, 8:56 pm

Kevin Mitchell
The Guardian, Sunday 1 June 2014 15.09 BST

Top five postwar British boxers – where does Carl Froch come now?

George Groves was just the latest high-calibre opponent Froch has faced but the win is not enough to elevate him to No1.

Carl Froch shows off one of his super-middleweight world title belts after beating George Groves at Wembley.

Lennox Lewis: W41 L2 D1

Canadian, Jamaican, British – does it matter? He flew the flag for the country of his birth and beat a prime, if cut-hampered, Vitali Klitschko, got the better of Evander Holyfield and finished off the fading legend that was Mike Tyson. A top 10, all-time heavyweight contender.

Carl Froch: W33 L2

Would not dodge a tank. Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Mikkel Kessler (twice), Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Andre Ward, Lucian Bute. George Groves (twice). Enough said. Has just leapfrogged Joe Calzaghe – who would have been favourite to beat him. As honest a fighter as we have ever seen in a British ring.

Joe Calzaghe: W46 L0

Unbeaten – and that’s the end of it, whatever the quality of some opponents, even the remains of Roy Jones Jr. A phenomenally quick-fisted, unorthodox boxer with a huge heart, he hit a peak in destroying the unbeaten American Jeff Lacy. Always found a way to win.

Ken Buchanan: W61 L8

The best Scot of them all, an undisputed world champion in a strong era and a hall-of-famer. Don’t be blindsided by his fouled defeat by Roberto Durán at the Garden in 1972; it was a good scrap but he was losing.

Nigel Benn: W42 L5

The king of the tear-ups, who brought more excitement to the ring than any fighter of his era – even Ricky Hatton – most tragically on the night he beat Gerald McClellan. Linked for all time to Chris Eubank, Michael Watson and Steve Collins.

The other contenders Howard Winstone, Naseem Hamed, Chris Eubank, Ricky Hatton, Randolph Turpin, John Conteh, Amir Khan, Lloyd Honeyghan, John H Stracey, Alan Minter, Frank Bruno. For the purposes of Britishness, Barry McGuigan and Steve Collins do not qualify.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:06 pm

I said English

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:10 pm

Just ignore the non English fighters.

I copied it from a newspaper website.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:16 pm

This board never changes read what you want. English doesnt mean British. Froch isnt even the best SM at the minute nevermind considering him as world class he was losin to Pascal has lost to Kessler was schooledby Ward some people say he lost Dirrell.....Venn and Eubank neverfought the top Americans, Hamed stepped up and got handed a lesson, Hatton stepped up and got handed a lesson. Bruno, are you boys serious? Amir Khan lol!!!! Frank Bruno WORLD class.....it just gets worse...

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:20 pm

Froch must have the record at winning 10 world title fights without being world class then?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:21 pm

So is it just the top 10 or so boxers in the world that qualify as world class?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm

Having watched them all would you say he won them 100% including Dirrell and the first Groves fight? Or could you just be writing stuff you dont agree with to try and win a debate?... Bear in mind Scott I know how to cut and paste from previous articles....

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm

Catch you define world class, I have already defined it in the original post, Re-read it sure.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:Having watched them all would you say he won them 100% including Dirrell and the first Groves fight? Or could you just be writing stuff you dont agree with to try and win a debate?... Bear in mind Scott I know how to cut and paste from previous articles....
I'm just asking, is 10 the record?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:34 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:Real world class Khan Hodgkinson Eubank Benn and wait for it......Bruno lol. Dilluded boys. Clueless. Absolutley clueless.

It is the same old Sheng.

Ok, Sheng, name the Irish ones?

Nope, didn't think so.

Glad I can do something about it if you get out of hand - cheers!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:34 pm

Dont know everyones record. But I do think World class is used way too often and wrongly describing both Froch and more so Groves in this last few weeks as "world class" has been sickening and charging £17 for a decent English dust up is pathetic....seems as soon as you put on a decent display on Sky Sports and your British you belong at "world level"....its getting like WWE....

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:36 pm

Seanus very few on my World Level list certainly no Irish ones either, but we dont fool ourselves you see....early threats, seems im not the only one who hasnt changed...

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm

World level consists of 1 fighter per division max? I think you're pretty much alone in your definition.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:Seanus very few on my World Level list certainly no Irish ones either, but we dont fool ourselves you see....early threats, seems im not the only one who hasnt changed...

What about Rinty?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:41 pm

World Class - wins a title and defends it against very live opposition.

Khan is/was world class. You saw what Maidana did against Floyd. Khan won clearly. Eubank was world class. Benn was. Groves isn't yet. Hatton was lineal champion in his weight category. What more do you want?

I remember why you got kicked off so many times before, you're the racist one aren't you?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:Seanus very few on my World Level list certainly no Irish ones either, but we dont fool ourselves you see....early threats, seems im not the only one who hasnt changed...

Oh, these aren't threats. You have a record. Play nice or you will lose your ball. You know I like you though, Sheng. You're fun when not being nationalistic or anti-English. Here's hoping we can all play nice.  ghost 

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:43 pm

Who has Eubank got on his CV? Other World Class operators?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:44 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:Who has Eubank got on his CV? Other World Class operators?
Try boxrec or Wikipedia.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:46 pm

Isn't it pretty much impossible in your system to have a win against a world class boxer?

If to be world class you have to dominate the division for a long period of time, how could you beat another world class operator other than someone coming to the end of their career?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:47 pm

No chance of that Seanus im here to talk boxing, just would like to know how others see World Class?

Strongy - Rinty was good as was McGuigan and Dave Boy and no one had a bigger heart than Steveo but we are talking cream of the crop top world class fightets Duran Ali Robinson,..., and of course Bruno. Lol.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

Froch has a superb record and is the very definition of world class, constantly faces and beats the best men in his division aside from Ward. He has wins over three of the current top ten at 168lbs as well as wins over five other top ten ranked opponents, in total he has 9 wins over ranked opposition. To put that into some sort of context Rigondeaux has three wins over ranked opposition while Martinez and Bradley both have eight.

If he isn't world class then i'd like to know who apart from the usual suspects of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez etc. are world class because there are more than 6/7 world class fighters in the world.

We're not talking about world level men like Macklin or Murray, we're talking about a figher who has been ranked inside his divisions top 3 for the past 6 years going on one of the hardest runs you could find in recent years.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:53 pm

World class comes around very rarely. Not in every weight class at all times. Strange why did you say Ward aside?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:55 pm

What you're actually describing isn't world class but the all time greats, those boxers who are a level above world class unless you think there's only ever been 40/50 world class boxers since 1945.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:55 pm

Prime Conteh is the best boxer I've seen,self destruct button,lifestyle and splitting from Micky Duff was career suicide,brilliant boxer, tough as nails and could mix it inside with anyone when  he had to.My No1 British fighter.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:57 pm

This ain't Sheng, give it up you imposter.

No Irish greats? Do your homework on Shengy if you're going to imitate him.

A Few questions:

1. Where does Sheng live in Belfast?

2. Which poster has a mutual friend with Sheng?

3. Was Sheng a Sinn Fein supporter?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:03 pm

Ha your a geg Strongy, you dont believe im Sheng and have set me a Sheng quiz I am flattered! But I am Sheng.

I live in West Belfast, Dee McK works with my bro in Belfast (or at least used to), Im not answering the third question! But pleased that Martina Anderson is our MEP.... Lol....Antrim drew Donegal in the Ulster Semis....You were one of the only lads who used to defend me, my son is now 4, lol...yes it was that long ago and he attends college na fuiseoige in Twinbrook (West Belfast).....I am Sheng....but I can understand why there would be some Imitators.....lol

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:15 pm

Im not a fan of the overuse of hypebole and superlatives but that is too narrow a defination of world class even for me.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

World class as well also includes those that no matter who they take on they will always give them a contest and will never avoid them in their quest to prove they are number 1. Andre Ward anyone? Why hasnt Froch spent all this time calling Ward out? Thats what a true world class warrior would do....

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:19 pm

Seeing as he's already faced him and lost there isn't really any point.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:25 pm

Why not? Should Amir rematch Garcia? How about Lewis v Rahman back in the day suppose no point.... Surely a world class fighter like Froch should have the tools and versatility to change his style and give Ward another challenge shiuld even win given the amount of world title fights hes been in....perhaps he should watch some footage of Frank Bruno get some worldclass tips....

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm

Different situations altogether, he was outclassed from start to finish and is better off fighting other opposition to cement his claim as the clear number two in the division.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:33 pm

How do you outclass world class? ..... Is world class not the top class or is Andre Ward Galaxy Class or Universe class???... Outclassed?...mmmm...lol

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:42 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:Ha your a geg Strongy, you dont believe im Sheng and have set me a Sheng quiz I am flattered! But I am Sheng.

I live in West Belfast, Dee McK works with my bro in Belfast (or at least used to), Im not answering the third question! But pleased that Martina Anderson is our MEP.... Lol....Antrim drew Donegal in the Ulster Semis....You were one of the only lads who used to defend me, my son is now 4, lol...yes it was that long ago and he attends college na fuiseoige in Twinbrook (West Belfast).....I am Sheng....but I can understand why there would be some Imitators.....lol

The questionnaire was all about question 3. The honest answer to that tell everything.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:50 pm

Cant yo just rejoice and be happy that im back? Everyone else is delighted.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:25 am

shenglong2014 wrote:Cant yo just rejoice and be happy that im back? Everyone else is delighted.
Just here to burst that particular bubble. I, for one, am thoroughly sick to the back teeth of you already. Thankfully it looks like I don't even have to remind the other board members what a pain in the bumhole you are likely to be as you've already put in the work. Therefore it shouldn't take too long for you to irritate the Mods sufficiently for them to ban you again...

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:48 am

Hi Dave

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:50 am

What an absolute tool.

Clearly Manny isn't world class either than since he's been dropped'n'stopped more times than Lennox.

RJJ must be out too.

Who does that leave us with, globally, in say the last 20 years - Floyd? And no-one else.....

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next