The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you want Froch to fight next?

+18
Nico the gman
Mr Bounce
shenglong2014
Boxtthis
rodders
tunes666
Valero's Conscience
88Chris05
Sugar Boy Sweetie
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Strongback
Liam
mobilemaster8
Scottrf
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
catchweight
22 posters

Go down

Who do you want Froch to fight next?

Who do you want Froch to fight next? Vote_lcap59%Who do you want Froch to fight next? Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 17 ]
Who do you want Froch to fight next? Vote_lcap38%Who do you want Froch to fight next? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 11 ]
Who do you want Froch to fight next? Vote_lcap3%Who do you want Froch to fight next? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 29

Who do you want Froch to fight next? Empty Who do you want Froch to fight next?

Post by catchweight Tue 03 Jun 2014, 7:34 pm

Hearn has short listed three fighters as potentials - Chavez, Degale and Kessler.

Noteable absentees are Ward (which Im pleased about) and Golovkin (which p1sses me of). A move to light heavyweight is also ruled out (disappointing).

Id sh1t on a Chavez fight so hope that waste of time doesnt happen. Kessler is also a pension fight and he has only been steadly declining. Hasnt fought at all since losing the time where he looked past his best.

So for me its Degale. Fresh meat. I think he has all the ability to cause Froch problems but will face the same old questions about how to sustain outboxing Froch for a full 12 rounds. I think its the most interesting fight of the three and the only one where the result isnt a formality.

If it was up to me Id want a shortlist of Golovkin, Stevenson and Kovalov but I get the feeling 2 of the above 3 will serve as Frochs swansong.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Who do you want Froch to fight next? Empty Re: Who do you want Froch to fight next?

Post by milkyboy Tue 03 Jun 2014, 7:52 pm

None of them really float my boat if I'm honest but two of them I have absolutely zero interest in, which leaves degale as the last man standing... Or likely last man lying down, should it happen.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Who do you want Froch to fight next? Empty Re: Who do you want Froch to fight next?

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 03 Jun 2014, 7:58 pm

Kessler is a definite no no, don't want to see him go over old ground, new challenges are needed, not bothered who he fights out of the other two but potentially Degale is the trickier assignment. All depends how many fights he has left really; Degale, Golovkin and Stevenson would be my wish list.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm

Voted for Chavez. Should qualify it that it does not particularly float my boat, but Froch clearly has an itch to fight in Vegas, which is understandable. Chavez would tick that box, make him a shedload and give him a winnable last fight. He has earned all three of these things.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 03 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm

Can't disagree with any of that, there's no reason for him to move up in weight as he's so comfortable fighting at 168lbs and he more than anybody has earned an easier money making fight. Whether he can win a decision against Chavez in Vegas remains to be seen but I don't think he has much to worry about aside from potentially erroneous judging.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:10 pm

Chavez by a long way of those three. It would be a battle, DeGale hasn't proven to me he can stop someone walking through him, and Kessler I'm just not convinced has it anymore.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm

I'd prefer to see the Chavez fight for a number of reasons really.

Firstly froch deserves a fight against a big money name which will settle his retirement fund nicely. Go out against a big name in boxing headlining a Vegas card. Why not? Not only that, but both have granite chins and so should be a fun fight to watch to be honest.

Kessler would be ok, he is a genuine good guy which is rare, be nice to see a big trilogy even if their past it.

De Gale is high risk low reward. Yes it may be a big seller in Nottingham but I don't think carl will go for it.

Expect to see Groves vs De Gale within 12 months for a title.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:35 pm

Froch is a multi millionaire who will make a good chunk no matter who he fights next. He doesnt need this pension fund big pay day stuff. Chavez is the least competitive of the three fights out there. I even think a past it Kessler would be a better and more competitive fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:40 pm

I went for Chavez for 3 reasons:

1) I think Degale needs a couple more fights before he fight's Froch in what hopefully is a final fight at the City ground for Froch. If Degale continues to develop and stay active, i'd fancy him to beat Froch, think his style is all wrong for Froch.

2) From what i've heard Chavez seems to be the next big thing in America, although I've never seen him fight, so if someone could let me know an honest assessment of him presently and his potential that would be great. Plus, Froch deserves a final fight in Vegas before a retirement fight at the City ground afterwards.

3) Think the Kessler fight would go much like the last with Froch probably winning on points. Doesn't excite me even though it is 1-1.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:46 pm

Liam, Chavez isn't thought of as a good fighter let alone the next best thing mate.

Has been gifted a few decisions over the past few years based on his name alone. Has also been banned for drug abuse as well. Not only that, but he has awful ability in the ring.

The only thing going for him is his granite chin and his name.

Apart from that he should have already lost 3 or so times, not just the one.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:52 pm

catchweight wrote:Froch is a multi millionaire who will make a good chunk no matter who he fights next. He doesnt need this pension fund big pay day stuff. Chavez is the least competitive of the three fights out there. I even think a past it Kessler would be a better and more competitive fight.
I would say it's the most competitive of these 3.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:53 pm

Whether froch deserves an easy fight is irrelevant to me. I'm a boxing fan and want to see a potentially exciting or legacy enhancing fight. Golovkin if he'll move up, stevenson if he'll move down, kovalev of froch would move up. They'd excite me. Ward to try and turn the tables, Hopkins to try and outdo Calzaghe. I wouldn't expect to enjoy the fights but they'd hold some interest.

Liam, as mm8 says,  junior is tough but limited. He has a licence to print money because of who his father is.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:54 pm

Should also add Chavez is nowhere near as bad a fighter as he gets billed on here. Accept he is woefully ill disciplined and gets favours from the WBC few can even dream of but he is not completely devoid of talent. A winnable fight for Carl but by no means a Roy Jones Jnr vs Calzaghe exercise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:55 pm

I don't want to see him fight Kessler, when both were closer to their primes Kessler won. I see Kessler as a better fighter than Froch and I think it would be a cheap victory if he fought a past it Kessler.

I also think Chavez would be more competitive than some posters are suggesting. Froch is getting on and Chavez is a tough kid who is still big at 168.

A Brit in a competitive fight in Vegas is always good. Unfortunately Froch doesn't have great name status over the pond so this fight might not get off the ground.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:59 pm

Voted chavez, simple reason being I hate him and would love Froch to do a real number on him. Add that it's a big money fight for froch, settles his dream of fighting in vegas, would be a fun fight to watch and the degale fight can still happen afterwards. Think it's a little more competitive than people think as Froch usually grinds his opponents down and chavez will be the bigger man and he himself is teak tough and a great body puncher.

Kessler was competitive in the second fight, but you could tell he was really struggling at the end. He's had  along hard career and hasn't fought in over  a year. Don't really want to see that fight unless kessler himself can get a good win to show he still has something left in the tank but that doesn't look likely given he's basically all but retired right now

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm

Scottrf wrote:
catchweight wrote:Froch is a multi millionaire who will make a good chunk no matter who he fights next. He doesnt need this pension fund big pay day stuff. Chavez is the least competitive of the three fights out there. I even think a past it Kessler would be a better and more competitive fight.
I would say it's the most competitive of these 3.

Why? Chavez is onto a hiding in this fight. His chin looks great when he isnt being drug tested and is outweighing middleweights by 20lbs. Against Froch he will get sparked. He will be walking onto big punches all night. Chavez is fairly crap and what few strengths he had dont measure up well against Froch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:12 pm

Well, as I said I don't think DeGale can keep an opponent off. I don't see him lasting half way.

Kessler I think if he hadn't faded Froch has learnt enough to win it, as evidenced by their last fight, but he's been getting progressively worse since his injury.

Chavez while he isn't particularly skillful, can stand up to him, wont hold or spoil too much, and has a bit of punch variety. He is far too open though, and doesn't really have the workrate to trouble Froch. Yeah he probably loses but I think in a more entertaining way than the other 2.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:24 pm

Degale has a style thats slippery and awkward and could cause Froch a lot of problems. Chavez is reliant on plowing forward and trying to outmuscle and outman his opponents. He wasnt even all that great doing this against average enough middleweights when he was miles bigger than them. A weight up against someone as strong as Froch looks to have bad news for Chavez written all over it. If it was even competitive Id be surprised.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:26 pm

Froch was estimated to be worth £18m before the Groves fight, for which he copped for at least another 5 million sheets, plus he has a small property empire in Nottingham, so I don't think he needs to worry about a pension fund fight. He also has no obligation to DeGale as we know, and didn't seem that keen when it was mentioned to him.

Personally of the three I prefer the DeGale fight, he's a slick southpaw who can go 12 rounds, his problem is he doesn't have the power to trouble Froch and certainly won't outwork him. Kessler III I wouldn't pay for, Kessler is done as far as I'm concerned. Chavez is the most likely, can't begrudge Froch the realisation of an ambition by fighting in Vegas, and it'll probably be an entertaining fight. Heart says DeGale, head says Chavez, but none of them really get the pulse racing. In fact I'd say I have post event blues now that the excitement of Froch Groves II is over.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:38 pm

Is Chavez the most likely? I think its the hardest to put together. Does Chavez want the fight? He has any number of options and can fight whoever he pleases for lots of money. He turned down huge money to face Golovkin and he has a very winnable WBC fight against Bika if he wants it. From Frochs end he would have to willing to take the small end of the purse and Hearn would have to let Arum dictate everything if the fight is in the U.S. I thinks its the easiest of the three fights for Froch to win but the most difficult to put together.

Kessler and Degale would be straightforward with Froch getting the lions share of the Revenue and Hearn in command of the fight. I would say Hearns preferance would also be for the Degale fight to capitalise on the British boxing buzz.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:41 pm

catchweight wrote:Is Chavez the most likely? I think its the hardest to put together. Does Chavez want the fight? He has any number of options and can fight whoever he pleases for lots of money. He turned down huge money to face Golovkin and he has a very winnable WBC fight against Bika if he wants it. From Frochs end he would have to willing to take the small end of the purse and Hearn would have to let Arum dictate everything if the fight is in the U.S. I thinks its the easiest of the three fights for Froch to win but the most difficult to put together.

Kessler and Degale would be straightforward with Froch getting the lions share of the Revenue and Hearn in command of the fight. I would say Hearns preferance would also be for the Degale fight to capitalise on the British boxing buzz.

All fair comments.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:50 pm

Ignoring the political side of things, I went with Chavez. Like most, Chavez isn't the fight I'd like to see Carl take next overall - it's just the one I'd pick if Hearn insists on the above trio and the above trio only.

After being on the road for so long from 2009 to 2011, Froch came back to Britain after the disappointment of the loss to Ward and it's been an (almost) uninterrupted upwards curve since. Bute was the biggest, best and most significant win of his career. The Kessler rematch arguably surpassed it in all aspects. Now you could argue that the Groves rematch has raised the bar for him even further. Three massive, massive wins for him in the space of just two years.

After losing to Ward I doubt he had many across the pond willing to shell out to see him, but after his recent run, they just might. With his reputation again improved and revitalised it'd probably be best for him to cash it on it while he can. It's been great having back over here in the UK but I can see why he's so tempted to have one more attempt at really wowing the Americans, because he's seldom produced his most convincing form on that side of the Atlantic.

Besides, all being well, he could take the Chavez fight, very probably win it and then if he fancies it as a goodbye the Degale fight will still be there for him in 2015.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 03 Jun 2014, 11:27 pm

I went for Chavez for purely entertainment reasons.

They have two of the best chins in boxing so would be a slug fest IMO whilst being a very winnable fight and good payday for Froch.

I don't want to see Kessler get hurt and whilst Degale wiuld test Froch I think he needs more fights before this fight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:13 am

Degale for me, it would be a fight that would be harder to call, Degale can be so unpredictable and certainly has the skill set to give Froch nightmares..  People say he has not got the power to trouble Froch but I think he has enough to slow him down alright.

I have always felt Degale was better than Groves, and if Groves can run Froch close, then I think Degale can run him closer, he may not be quite as powerful as Groves, but i think he carries his strength better over 12 rounds, has the better chin, and is even quicker.

If Froch goes into the fight thinking he can walk through Degales shots like some here think, he might end up slipping on another banana skin I think..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 04 Jun 2014, 9:07 am

I think he'll fight Kessler but hope he doesn't. I thought Froch was comfortable enough victor last time and on the verge of stopping Kessler - can't see a rematch going any differently as Froch is just stronger at this stage of their careers.

Can't see him fighting DeGale after 2 fights against another up and coming brit in Groves, so its Chavez for me from those 3 but GGG or Ward would be better - even Hopkins.

I think it'll be a 3rd fight with Kessler or he'll call it a day.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:19 am

Not super enthused about any of the 3, but, at the same time, they're all worthwhile fights (just not the type that gets boxing fans salivating).

Kessler is the least interesting fight here. It's been done before and Kesslar is even further away from his prime now.

Degale could pose Froch some problems, but I don't think he's proved enough - especially when under pressure in a fight, which he would be against Froch.

Chavez is at least a new challenge; one that would probably have a 'big fight' feel around it. He's the least talented of the group. But, he's a tank and he hits hard. I actually think it would make for an entertaining fight.

It's a decent list of opponents, and you can't complain given who Froch has fought over the years. Would love the GGG fight mind you!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:03 am

Carl to retire and have another Super 6 for the vacant belts? Say, Kessler, Abraham, Groves, DeGale, Stieglitz, Bika, ....dont think Ward would be too pleased though!

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:08 am

No-one could be arsed waiting three years to find out who the winner would be. It was tedious enough last time....as well as having something like 8 or 9 fighters instead of six

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:38 pm

I reckon Carl's going to push for the vegas fight, so it will likely be Chavez. Kessler doesn't interest me as he's shot to bits and DeGale will have to wait his turn. Or perhaps his last fight was a "Kell Brook Eliminator"??

It'll be interesting to see the scorecards on a Froch-Chavez fight if Junior doesn't have the WBC adding 3 points per round. And I would also like to see how Junior deals with a) a potential beating and b) if he gets floored.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

Isnt Chavez banned from fighting in Vegas?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 04 Jun 2014, 3:21 pm

The 3 fighters mentioned don't give me any thrills,I don't see Froch v Chavez selling that big unless we get a huge Mexican audience.

The problem is Froch hasn't got a big choice of big name opponents for a Vegas bout.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 04 Jun 2014, 4:09 pm

Luis Suarez.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 04 Jun 2014, 4:23 pm

Picked Chavez as I like the thought of him getting punched in the face. Easy fight for Froch even if he has slipped a bit himself. Chavez wont be too eager to continuously plod forward after getting hit a few times by a genuine Super Middleweight, I thought Martinez deterred him pretty well and he's a sharp punching middleweight but not hugely heavy handed.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

None of the above, would like to see him at least attempt to avenge his defeat to Ward, however improbable his chances are.  Of the 3 selected though its a toss up between Degale and
Kessler3, no interest at all in Chavez jr.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jun 2014, 12:27 pm

Froch should fight Vladimir Putin...in a purpose built gladiatorial arena in Siberia with wild bears running loose.

The world's two hardest men duking it out once and for all for everyone to see

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:42 pm

Found it rather funny that Sakio Bika has thrown his hat into the ring.

He also claimed Bika-Froch would determine who's the divisional champion  picard as '3' titles would be on the line.

Bika couldn't be more of a paper champion if he tried.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Froch should fight Vladimir Putin...in a purpose built gladiatorial arena in Siberia with wild bears running loose.

The world's two hardest men duking it out once and for all for everyone to see

Froch's not a hard man. Some recent quotes from him "the best chin is the one that doesn't get hit", "nobody likes getting hit". Complete p*ssy. Putin does a number on him... And if it doesn't go his way, the snipers on the arena roof will make sure.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down