The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeffries vs Groves

+2
Ronikara
Lumbering_Jack
6 posters

Go down

Jeffries vs Groves Empty Jeffries vs Groves

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 am

Taken from Sky Sports
============

Olympic bronze medallist Tony Jeffries has challenged new British and Commonwealth super-middleweight champion George Groves.

Groves, who already held the Commonwealth belt, wrested the British title from bitter rival DeGale in a narrow points decision at the O2 Arena on Saturday night.

DeGale has demanded an immediate rematch but Jeffries is keen to be ahead of the Olympic gold medallist on the list to fight Groves.

Jeffries' promoter Frank Warren believes that Groves may well take up the challenge and plans to contact his manager and trainer Adam Booth.

"I mentioned the fight to Adam a couple of months ago," said Maloney.

"When the DeGale fight was in the balance I mentioned the Commonwealth title defence against Tony at the Stadium of Light.

Amazed
"He said the DeGale fight was likely to take place, but a fight against Tony is something they would consider afterwards if he won.

"I am now throwing down the challenge and hopefully we can sit down and see if we can come up with a package.

Jeffries, who remains unbeaten in eight fights, has been out of action so far this year following eye surgery.

"Adam worked out a good strategy for George and the tactics were spot on. But from what I saw it was a high quality amateur fight and I do believe Tony would beat George..."

The 26-year-old from Sunderland is currently training under Tommy Brooks in California and Maloney is eyeing a July showdown in Florida for the pair.

"Adam worked out a good strategy for George and the tactics were spot on," added Maloney.

"But from what I saw it was a high quality amateur fight and I do believe Tony would beat George, even if few will believe me.

Tommy Brooks is amazed at Tony's sudden development and we would take the fight in a heartbeat, but it is all down to what route George wants to go."

Now, forgive my ignorance, but I though Jeffries was a LHW. I am assuming he would drop to SMW to take this fight. If he does he would be on the end of a painful beating. He is painfully easy to hit and would be taken out around the 6/7 mark.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Jeffries vs Groves Empty Re: Jeffries vs Groves

Post by Ronikara Tue May 24, 2011 3:23 am

Jeffries competed in the Olympics at Light Heavy, but has spent virtually his entire pro career at Super Middle. The only reason that people haven't really mentioned him with Degale or Groves before is because he really hasn't performed very well at all, and they have. I personally think Jeffries lost to the journeyman Michael Banbula, and I don't think I'm alone in that one.

Considering how easy Maloney matches his prospects, I'm very surprised if they want to go anywhere near Groves at the moment. Even if he has improved in training, surely you would want to check his progress in a warm up fight against a durable opponent before putting him in with either Degale or Groves. This may just be a publicity exercise to ride on the back of Saturday's fight and make sure we don't forget about him over here while he trains in America.

If Maloney is serious, Groves to win by knock out in the middle rounds.

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue May 24, 2011 3:24 am

Give me a break. What has Jeffries done at SMW to leap frog other challengers?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue May 24, 2011 3:25 am

His career has all been at LHW.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronikara Tue May 24, 2011 4:03 am

As I understand it, he has been taking on journeymen who usually operate as Super Middle Weight, and in interviews he has said he will be a Super Middle Weight because he is too small for Light Heavy, but he hasn't bothered to actually get down to the weight he intends to fight at as yet. A lot of prospects don't look at the weight in the early part of their career, eg Billy Joe Saunders and Frankie Gavin.

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue May 24, 2011 4:05 am

Ronikara wrote:As I understand it, he has been taking on journeymen who usually operate as Super Middle Weight, and in interviews he has said he will be a Super Middle Weight because he is too small for Light Heavy, but he hasn't bothered to actually get down to the weight he intends to fight at as yet. A lot of prospects don't look at the weight in the early part of their career, eg Billy Joe Saunders and Frankie Gavin.

Largely irrelevant I'm afraid. He has not fought at SMW so I doubt he would get a shot anyway. Also speaks volumes about his character if he cant be bothered to make SMW...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Tue May 24, 2011 4:24 am

Jeffries may have not had as impressive a career as other british fighters around the supermiddle mark, but it would be in the interests of groves and team hayemaker to get this fight now

Jeffries is a bigger name than some others because he was an olympian and apart from degale has been the only one i've seen actively call groves out. If groves desposes of jeffries he only needs one or two more fights before going for euro level; magee or seomeone like that

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue May 24, 2011 4:30 am

His first pro fight was great. His jab was a power shot and he had a great range of punches. Everything else since has been woeful. Including failing to comprehend how long a fight was and so not training for it beforehand.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue May 24, 2011 4:37 am

oxring wrote:His first pro fight was great. His jab was a power shot and he had a great range of punches. Everything else since has been woeful. Including failing to comprehend how long a fight was and so not training for it beforehand.

The fight with Bambula... Walked over to the ref after 6 looking to have his hand raised, shameful.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue May 24, 2011 6:02 am

Come too think Jeffries hasn't fought for a while he'll have a little ring rust and going straight in and fight George Groves. Also he's only had one win after that poor draw and Michael Banbula so he needs a couple more fights and try too up his game before going in and fighting someone of Groves quality.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down