The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Start to the season??

5 posters

Go down

Start to the season?? Empty Start to the season??

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Mon 23 May 2011, 5:08 pm

How do you rate our start so far??

I think we have a stronger team and squad than the last few years and with Meaker, Roy and Dernbach all looking like they have moved on a step or two in there progress and De Bryun and Maynard coming straight in and doing well things look much better.

Can't really argue with the one day game so far have looked very good and have a 100% record perhaps we can challenge for something this year?

The four day game I still feel a bit depressed about but when I sit down and think about it our record is W1 L1 D3 had it been W2 L1 D2 I would be relatively happy so we are not two far away.

We are still one bowler short when trying to bowl teams out, If Tremlett was with us all season or had we got in a quality overseas player I think we would be right up there. For once I'm not going to give the club to much stick about this as at least we have an overseas player this season from the start and on paper Arafat seemed a solid choice. If he could just start to take a few more wickets please.

We still obviously have a few negatives the fact that Batty is our number one spinner is not good (although he's shown improvement already this year), Schofield is still on the clubs books ( theres only so many times I can get drunk and scream at this)

We must have one of the strongest batting line ups in the division so please Surrey more green pitches at the oval like against Leicestershire!

Overall Start 6.5 out of ten which is better than the normal 3 out of ten!!

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Start to the season?? Empty Re: Start to the season??

Post by jbd349 Mon 23 May 2011, 8:22 pm

Agree with almost everything you've written, with the exception of Schofield - I reckon he could play at no.7 in the CC as a batting all-rounder and is actually pretty decent in the one-day stuff.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 23 May 2011, 8:33 pm

I can't really argue with anything you've written, like jbd I think Schofield can do a decent job in the one day stuff but would prefer a youngster like Jordan or Jewell to be playing as our all rounder as opposed to him in the CC. The next 2 games over the next 9 days are crucial, if we could win them both we would be doing very well and above my expectations, I'd be happy with a win and a draw. 7/10 for me so far.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 23 May 2011, 11:00 pm

I agree Schofield is worth his place in team/squad for one day - he was excellent with both bat and ball yesterday.

Agree Meaker and Roy are strong pluses - both fully justify their place - and not simply as young players team is trying to bring on. I agree 6.5 is about right and the squad does look stronger. Plus points Batty has mostly been quite reasonable....de Bruyn and Maynard settled in quickly....The Hyphen starting to show signs of a bit of batting consistency....Ramps is back but we are less dependent on him....

Caveats include that we've mostly played weaker teams in one day and so our excellent start in CB hasn't been put greatly to the test. And we have rarely managed actually to have even two fit fast bowlers from Tremlett, Dernbach and Meaker firing at the same time. (What a difference that made against Leics). Jordan and Brown haven't yet done much following their long term injuries...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 24 May 2011, 12:07 am

Excellent post, Depressed. You flag some important aspects and are generally bang on.

I agree with your 6.5 out of ten. I think it was you, Depressed, who described us last year as 'a work in progress'. That is still the case. We have already shown the potential this season to go further forward (5 out of 5 in CB 40) but still retain the capacity to spectacularly crashland (Middlesex CC).

I am very conscious of the health warning that the Corporal recently issued to all posters concerning the possible effects upon you of mentioning Batty and Schofield. However, I must say it has been pleasing that both have batted very well and, more surprisingly, Batty seems almost consistently adequate with the ball. Schofield also seems to know what he is doing at least in CB 40.

Two other aspects I would mention:

1. Disappointing that we still don't really know our best opening batsmen for CC games.

2. Squad players like the Viscount and Jordan need to show that they can come in and deliver a performance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down