The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Championship Thread: Tee Times

+27
BlueCoverman
John Cregan
4putt
lorus59
1GrumpyGolfer
Plunky
skiddy
ralphjohn69
Scottrf
JAS
Shotrock
AlciG
EmmDee57
Diggers
pedro
Davie
beninho
mystiroakey
MustPuttBetter
incontinentia
super_realist
sportform
GPB
I'm never wrong
sirbenson
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
31 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Open Championship Thread: Tee Times - Page 9 Empty Open Championship Thread: Tee Times

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 14 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.theopen.com/en/TeeTimes.aspx

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Open Championship Thread: Tee Times - Page 9 Empty Re: Open Championship Thread: Tee Times

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 20 Jul 2014, 8:54 pm

The bookie will make more money back from all the other parents who think the same, but have a child that doesn't make it.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Open Championship Thread: Tee Times - Page 9 Empty Re: Open Championship Thread: Tee Times

Post by pedro Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:02 pm

I bet John is a small time bookie himself.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:16 pm

Didn't Chris Kirkland's Dad do something similar, about him playing for England?
One sub appearance, made the punters ten grand I think!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:26 pm

I will never EVER be a fan of Mcilroy or Garcia.....but congrats to both....Garcia being a good loser too....good to see

Rickie really is the real deal as well, a valuable asset to the USA Ryder Cup team

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:36 pm

Hi Kwini, folks. Yeah Kwini I remember that one, yeah Kirkland's old man cleaned up on that one. Great tournament this Open, I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have. Rickie Fowler's definitely the real deal and will be a major winner sooner rather than later what a breath of fresh air he is. And Sergio, great to see him contend again. Hopefully he sees the positives and builds. But what about Midget Mac, making his way towards greatness, what a talent.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:40 pm

Hi Kwini, folks. Yeah Kwini I remember that one, yeah Kirkland's old man cleaned up on that one. Great tournament this Open, I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have. Rickie Fowler's definitely the real deal and will be a major winner sooner rather than later what a breath of fresh air he is. And Sergio, great to see him contend again. Hopefully he sees the positives and builds. But what about Midget Mac, making his way towards greatness, what a talent.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:41 pm

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm

Hi B_T_B,
The Gorey Detail!
Hope you're well mate, Great Open.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:06 pm

Kwini any reports how Valhalla will play....Will it be as easy as the past PGA and Ryder Cup just gone?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:16 pm

Valhalla? No idea. Expect we'll be reading about it shortly.
Don't think there's much reason to think it won't be similar to the Ryder Cup, Boo Weekley's buffoonery hopefully excepted.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:22 pm

Super job by the best golfer on the planet. True world beater.

Looks like Nike rolling out a new shirt; Tiger wears similar on Saturday and Champion wears it on Sunday.

Best per capita finish has to be the island of Ireland. Some round by Lowry.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:23 pm

Gorey details indeed Kwini Wink
All grand here mate, thanks. Hope all's well in Vermont!
McGinley's going to be busy in the near future, a Ryder cup without Poulter, Westwood and Luke would be unthinkable...

(Tripple post due to trying to post on android phone..)

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:36 pm

Shane Lowry and Adam Scott the only players in the Top 17 who played in the tougher Thur afternoon/Friday morning side of the "draw".

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:29 am

Great win for McIlroy who just needs the Masters now to complete a career grand slam (and the Olympics for a golden grand slam).

He is also now favourite for the Sports Personality of the Year award.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:29 am

sportform wrote:Great win for McIlroy who just needs the Masters now to complete a career grand slam (and the Olympics for a golden grand slam).

He is also now favourite for the Sports Personality of the Year award.

"A Golden Grand Slam".........i think you deserve a yellow card for that!! Modes, where are you??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:46 am

Rory handled himself really well yesterday, especially with the guy who had been heckling him throughout the round. Got him chucked out undramatically after making noise during his swing at 16. And he has been criticised for not signing an autograph for a young fan after the round, but Poulter has defended him on twitter saying that the rules don't allow them to sign autographs until after scorecards are handed in.

So he joins Nicklaus and Woods as the only players to have won 3 majors by age 25. Just needs the Masters to complete the career grand slam (shame he didn't get it done in 2011).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Jul 2014, 9:00 am

Was the fan shouting Mash Potato? :P

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 21 Jul 2014, 9:38 am

Davie wrote:Was the fan shouting Mash Potato? :P
Or Mashed tattie muncher?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:06 am

Anyone hear Ken Brown over the weekend saying Harrington's open wins gave a boost to British golf?  steam thumbsdown 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:18 am

I was there yesterday and it was interesting that Sergio got a bigger reception coming into the 18th green than Rory did.
Nice to see Rory win it but shame it wasn't Sergio in a way
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:28 am

incontinentia wrote:Anyone hear Ken Brown over the weekend saying Harrington's open wins gave a boost to British golf?  steam thumbsdown 
Eh?? They probably did. What's your problem? I'm sure they gave Irish golf a boost too.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:30 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:I was there yesterday and it was interesting that Sergio got a bigger reception coming into the 18th green than Rory did.

Not as far as I'm concerned. Never got the affection for Garcia, just an unpleasant whinger. Good player though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:32 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:I was there yesterday and it was interesting that Sergio got a bigger reception coming into the 18th green than Rory did.
Really? Interesting but I think a lot of people have a soft spot for Sergio. May be just me but he seemed in quite a good place mentally yesterday and just lost to the better player over the 4 days. Great win for Coco and an excellent Open all round.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:33 am

If Sergio stays positive he'll eventually win one
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:40 am

Wouldn't bet on that, read plenty of similar statements about Westwood. Think there are plenty of people with just as good a chance of winning majors as Garcia, plus his putting stroke comes and goes on a regular basis.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:54 am

Diggers wrote:

Not as far as I'm concerned. Never got the affection for Garcia, just an unpleasant whinger. Good player though.

Certainly hasn't came across that way for quite a while. Looks like he has totally changed as a person. Clearly so much happier and was very gracious yesterday and great with the crowd up 18. Still think there is a major in there for him, too good a player not to but then again there has been many great players who have missed out before.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 11:03 am

Diggers wrote:

I can see why he could be viewed as a whinger. I've always considered it to be rooted in disappointment with his game or with not winning rather than flat out being an unpleasant person, which is forgiveable.
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Diggers wrote:

I can see why he could be viewed as a whinger. I've always considered it to be rooted in disappointment with his game or with not winning rather than flat out being an unpleasant person, which is forgiveable.

I've always thought it was the other way, unpleasant and therefore a moper on the course. But I don't know the guy so who knows, just never warmed to him, even all the young eager puppy stuff at the start really irritated me. Just has a bit of a punchable face.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Jul 2014, 11:36 am

Anyone hear Alliss say Sergio should have eaten more paella? Bit racist isn't it?  Whistle 

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 11:45 am

Diggers wrote:I've always thought it was the other way, unpleasant and therefore a moper on the course. But I don't know the guy so who knows, just never warmed to him, even all the young eager puppy stuff at the start really irritated me. Just has a bit of a punchable face.

I wouldn't put him in the Gordon Strachan catergory ha ha
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

Davie wrote:Anyone hear Alliss say Sergio should have eaten more paella? Bit racist isn't it?  Whistle 

Apparently Sergio has tweeted -

"The comment that was made wasn’t silly. It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate but I’m confident that there is real regret that the remark was made. The Open ended nearly a day ago and it’s long past time to move on and talk about golf."

Whistle
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm

Sometimes think that some of the overseas golfers, Europeans, Aussies, Saffers, perhaps even the South Americans, have grown up watching the likes of Thomson and Norman, Seve, Locke and Player, Roberto etc, and embrace The Open even more than some of the GB&I guys.
Els, for instance, wrote in his US blog that the last two weeks are his favourites of the season (not that he played well of course!).

Not sure what Sergio says to the British media but he always tells US microphones that The Open and Ryder Cup are his favourite events, always says The Open fans are the best in the world. And considering what he's achieved and what so many would love to see him achieve in the future, a mutual love affair is hardly surprising.

Hope he wins one soon.

MPB: The crowds looked fantastic - was it a good spectating experience?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:13 pm

Considering his talents Id say his achievements thus far were pretty average Kwini.
Not sure I've heard any European pro say the Open wasn't the one they would want to win, bar possibly Coco who is saying it now. Standard comment.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm

My tuppence:

The venue: looked like a good stiff test, but in a subtle, non-tricked up way.  Benign conditions but the scoring was still not super low all round.

The R&A Day 3 decision: On a personal level I thought it was the right one.  I'm not that interested in seeing them play through truly horrendous conditions (as were forecast), or sitting for hours (with non stop time filling drivel from the commentators) waiting for play to recommence.

The competition: Best player won. I thought a very mature performance on the last day - clearly nervous and under pressure, but then that's the way it should be.  Responded by playing to a plan to win, rather than just playing like Rory and hoping it worked out.  Impressive.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:24 pm

Sergio: Won twice as many RC matches as he's lost (16-8-4), four Major runners up including two in The Open, is not bad for starters.

Talent is another thing entirely.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm

He's been a pro for 15 years, long enough to have done more when you are as good as he has been (at times). Ryder cup, schmyder cup...no interest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

Kwini - it was great. This is the 4th Open i've been to and in fairness they really do a good job of making sure the spectators are catered for. You arrive at the car park and get on a bus and 10 mins later you're in the course. When leaving, bearing in mind the thousands of people exciting the place, i queued for 10 mins to get on a bus and 15 mins after that i'm out of the car park and on the way home. You compare it with trying to get out of say, Wembley, and you realise what a good job they do in organising it all.

I've been to Hoylake twice, Turnberry and RSGoerge's and Hoylake is by far the easiest to get round from a spectator point of view. It's fairly flat and there are very few areas that you can't get to, unlike RSG!

I'm sure the grandstand around the 18th was bigger this year too so you didn't have the usual of having to go and sit in there at 1pm to ensure a seat, although if you left it later than 3pm you were struggling.

£60 a ticket for not far short of 12 hours sport is well worth the money in my view
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 21 Jul 2014, 1:36 pm

That's very good must putt.

I hate getting home from wembley, Epsom and ascot. I am close to all 3 yet it seems to take me 3 hours minimum every time to get home

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Jul 2014, 1:42 pm

MPB,
Sounds terrific. Never been to an Open and that is high on my bucket list - thanks for the update, it certainly looked fantastic!

(Am going to Royal Montreal this Thursday and Friday and expect the parking/shuttle logistics to be horrendous.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 1:57 pm

Definitely worth going to if you can. I can't think of another big sporting event that's as good value for money.

The one reservation i used to have is that being on the course you lose a bit of perspective as to what is going on overall. But this year they let you take your mobile in and provided wifi access all over the course (must be an impressively big router somewhere!?). All on silent of course and no pictures allowed (which is policed strictly, by Bones Mackay among others!). But sitting in the stand on the 18th you had people in there with their ipads etc with the bbc coverage up and it really did add some excitement to the crowd around the last.

Mysti, getting out of Wembley - either by train or car - is the sole reason i have stopped going to any international games. I used to do a few but the journey out just ruins it for me these days.

How much are tickets for the Royal Montreal Kwini?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 21 Jul 2014, 2:12 pm

I had to go to last years play off final.. But bar that sort of game I am not bothered...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Jul 2014, 2:19 pm

MPB,
Tickets expensive in my opinion, C$70.00 a day, and parking/shuttle logistics for the 2007 Presidents Cup were awful, interestingly enough for the players as well as their buses back to Le Downtown got stuck in the same traffic we had to put up with!!
Hartford by comparison is US$39.00 for a daily ticket, less in advance, and you can drive straight in - brilliantly run tournament, and fantastic crowds guaranteed.
Still, you can't look the gift horse of the pros coming within 100 miles in the mouth, so will make for a fun few days north of the border; most underrated big City in North America in my book.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 2:45 pm

That is fairly pricey considering tickets for the BMW Championship at Wentworth (about the biggest non major event in Europe?) are £35.
Hope you enjoy it though, never been to Montreal, will add it to the list!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 21 Jul 2014, 3:20 pm

Did Sergio really say that? Fried chicken comments fine for him to make, but let's not bring paella into the discussion. Nice double standard Sergio! Tool.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 Jul 2014, 3:22 pm

Shotrock wrote:Did Sergio really say that? Fried chicken comments fine for him to make, but let's not bring paella into the discussion. Nice double standard Sergio! Tool.
I think it was a joke Shotrock!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 3:22 pm

No he didn't SR, I was being a little flippant with Tiger's response to Sergio's comments....sorry!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Jul 2014, 3:24 pm

How ironic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 21 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote: provided wifi access all over the course (must be an impressively big router somewhere!?).
[Geek Mode] I think they did it with iBeacons. These are like "repeater" wifi routers but broadcast information when you are near them. The obvious commercial aspect is that supermarkets will have them, identify where you are in the store and "push" offers to your phone. [/Geek Mode]

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 21 Jul 2014, 7:15 pm

Ha fair enough! That would very much annoy me in the supermarket but was impressive at the Open
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:29 pm

I can also do geek mode .. if they are called iBeacons then I assume they are sanctioned by Apple. In which case they will be over priced and rather average - but the iBoys will froth at the lips at them

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next