The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Folau in talks with NRL official

+5
Rugby Fan
Biltong
funnyExiledScot
Geordie
kiakahaaotearoa
9 posters

Go down

Folau in talks with NRL official Empty Folau in talks with NRL official

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 am

After speculation about Beale going to league, Cummins' announcement to go to Japan, the ARU must surely be in panic mode after Israel Folau was spotted in a meeting with NRL head Greenberg. The meeting was dismissed as an impromptu meeting and a catch up over coffee but the fact that Folau's agent was also present at the meeting will not convince the ARU. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10276514/Israel-Folau-spotted-in-chat-with-NRL-official

Now that league plans to lift its salary caps, Folau might be tempted back to the game he loves. As the Super rugby's leading try scorer this year and a RWC pool of death looming next year, the thought of losing their most valuable star must be sending ARU officials into a fit of hysteria.

I'd be surprised if Folau wanted to opt out of performing for his country on the world stage so any move would be likely to be after the World Cup. It'd be a great shame to see him go as I think he still has a lot of improvement in him, which is a scary thought given what he has already achieved.

No doubt it's not just the ARU nervous about the prospect of league once again with some serious buying power.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Folau in talks with NRL official Empty Re: Folau in talks with NRL official

Post by Geordie Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:32 am

Australia are plumeting to being a tier 2 side alongside Scotland.... Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:22 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Australia are plumeting to being a tier 2 side alongside Scotland.... Wink 

Hang on a minute, since when were Scotland promoted to Tier 2???

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Laugh laughing 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:30 pm

I thought Folau was talking to the French?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Or his agent could be in talks with everybody to drive up his price because he feels the ARU are vulnerable.

Apparently the cafe he was in is frequented by both NSW union and league officials so not exactly the most clandestine of meetings. But a well publicised meeting might put the fear of God into the ARU and offers might be re-negotiated to secure his services. These agents do work on commission...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 pm

The ARU relied heavily on the Lions series and the World Cup to be incentives for players to stay at home, and in the code.

Some, like Mowen, decided their involvement in the World Cup would be limited and jumped ship. Others. like Beale, look like they wouldn't mind a bit more clarity.

Folau has all the clarity he needs, so it comes down to how much money is on the table for him, and how much he enjoys the game.

He's 25, so he has easily got time in his career for another World Cup but might want to follow SBW's example and spend time between tournaments back in League. If he's actually thinking of skipping the 2015 Cup altogether, then that would be a real blow to the code in Australia.

If he does say fir the 2015 Cup, then Australia has a three match series against England next. That might usually be attractive for a player but it's we won't know until the time what kind of squad England will elect to send. I don't think the prospect looms large enough for Folau to keep him. The Rio Sevens is the other draw but he said back in January he didn't want to commit too far ahead of time.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Is this where they come crying back to JOC?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:03 am

Just the way it is these days. He's considered the hottest rugby property in World rugby right now so 'talks' are bound to happen. He's well aware of the 'youve only got 5 (6,7...) years in you to make a buck'.

Get used to it I say. Shouldnt be a surprise these days...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 am

All this jumping between codes is starting to annoy me.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Wouldn't worry about it. Players and agents are always crossing paths here (since they share the SFS for both codes - matches and training) and I'm pretty sure I've heard him talk about his commitment to the 2015 RWC and how there's "still a lot of work to do and goals to achieve, etc".
Also, the new NRL HQ is right outside the gates as well so it's very easy to bump into Waratah players at training.

However if he did decide to go back I's rather see him at Wests Tigers who could do with a big star or 3. Some of their games would be close to where he grew up in Minto but I bet it's one of the richer clubs in the east of the city that would be dangling the fruits. It's quite tempting really.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:36 am

I'd have thought that if he was to switch back it would be back to Brisbane, and if Brisbane were to look outside of rugby league for a fullback Izzy, could well come  at a cheaper price than Karmichael Hunt, then again as the  article says in the last line theyve got Barba anyway.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down