The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations Travel

+3
EWT Spoons
Irish Londoner
bedfordwelsh
7 posters

Go down

6 Nations Travel Empty 6 Nations Travel

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 9:46

OK still a bit of a way off at the moment I know but planning to go to Italy (1st time) for the Wales game next year, early flight prices seem very steep and cost prohibitive so just wondering if those ho have done it before have any ingenious other ways of getting there.

Different airports to fly into, companies used etc etc. Any info greatly appreciated.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

6 Nations Travel Empty Re: 6 Nations Travel

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 11:20

Went to Rome a few years ago with Ryanair and flew to Ancona - it's a couple of hours away by train but there's a direct train from the airport to Rome. It the moment it's about £100 return to fly from Stanstead and back on Friday to Sunday.
If you log onto Groupon they are doing a hotel and match ticket package for the Italy games.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 13:11

Went to Rome this year for the Scotland game. We flew into Amsterdam and then from there to Rome. Worked well and was reaonable enough in terms of price.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 13:17

Bedford drop me a PM OK I may not respond immediately, but I will respond. Info I need -

When do you want to fly out and back ?
What are your preferred airports ? Luton from the monicker ?

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 13:31

A canoe, Energade and a wind breaker, (plus two weeks leave) Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 13:32

Alternatively buy a Jetski.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 14:19

Never cheap to fly to a 6 Nations capital during a 6 Nations weekend. The cheap budget airlines know there will be a demand and hike up prices. However, I have found in the past if you can extend your stay by a few days, so that you travel before the Fri returning late Mon or Tue for Sunday games or before Thr returning lasted Sun or Mon for Sat games the flight prices are much lower. It does mean extra hotel nights, but some hotels offer free nights for more than x number of nights stopped, etc.. In the past I have made a trip cheaper by staying longer.... Sounds silly, but it's true....

...of course you lose all the savings in extra beer  Whistle

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 14:24

...meant to add... Check out the sports travel companies as they sometimes have spare seats on their chartered planes. However, in the past I have found them expensive for what you get. Last one I used put 3 of us in a TravelLodge for the price we could have got a 4* hotel... We only did it as we couldn't get flights elsewhere and they would not sell flights seats only. Think they knew we where desperate.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 15:16

Gullivers are do a good deal for tickets and accom etc, 3 nights (Thurs-Sun), guaranteed match tickets, merchandise and match day transfers to from hotel for £237 but you have to find own way to Rome and back with is just so expensive flight wise.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 16:42

Sorry if you know this already... But Rome has 3 airports:-

Ciampino
Leonardo da Vinci int
Fiumicino

You may get cheaper flights to one than another, but the transport costs from there to Rome can be astronomical.

Bedford, if going for the Welsh game I would hope airports local to you would still have cheap fairs. I know, Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham prices will be higher as they are close enough to Wales to attract the business. But assuming you are going from Bedford, I would expect cheap flights from Luton, Heathrow, Gatwick, City are still out there.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 16:54

Easy jet from Gatwick to Fiumincino is

Thr 19 Mar £141.99 out
Sun 22 Mar £63.91 back very early or £107.91 very late.

That's the sort of price I would expect and paid before myself. You can make it cheaper by going on the Wed..

Not sure about Ryan Air, but they are usually the same.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 17:06

Or check this out....

http://www.cheapoair.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=5950&sid=1&oa=LTN&da=ROM&adt=1&chd=0&snr=0&infl=0&infs=0&dd=19/03/2015&rd=22/03/2015&tt=ROUNDTRIP

All London to Rome, fligjts ( return) for Thr to sun cheapest £87 return with a little bit of messing around, ie fly from Gatwick to Fiumincino. Retun from Ciampino to Stanstead.

Or best Ryan Air from Stanstead to Ciampino and same return for £117...

Might be worth checking out options....

Good luck...

Oops sorry just realised the link cleared my selections, but I did...

Round trip
From LTN
To ROM - all Rome airports
Depart 19/03/15
Return 22/03/15

Note... Some sites track demand and increase price so the more times you search you are pushing the price up for yourself.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 19:10

No9,

Cheers for info didn't realise they had the 3rd airport (Leonardo), there are 4 poss 6 of us flying but as all current or ex military we scattered all round the country its pain as trying to limited travel but won't be able to suit everyone
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 19:25

No problem... But as I said on one of my posts. Transfers from one of the airports is really pricey, think it's Ciampino as furthest from Rome centre but can't remember exactly. So make sure you check transfer costs before committing to a flight.

Anyway...hope info helps.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 17 Jul 2014 - 20:23

Guys da Vinci IS Fiumicino. So there are only two. I flew to Ciampino from Dublin for the All Blacks Italy game in 2012. Was about 12 Euro each way for the bus to Termini. Most of the cheap digs are there too. Look around Via Milazzo. Hostels and cheap hotels. Close enough to Trastevere for the booze up afterwards-good night life.

Is it the Stadio Olimpico or the Stadio Flaminio? Both are reachable by the tram.

Pisa is a good cheap option too if you don't mind the train. The bus from Ciampino is an hour, and you can actually walk to the centre of Pisa from the airport (20 mins to the railway station-10 more to the tower then you can leave-great food there though). So maybe another hour or so from Pisa to Rome.

Il Gelato di San Crispino on via Panetteria near the Trevi fountain has the best gelato I've ever had.

Side note guys-anyone know how to get Wales vs All Black tickets on general sale? Got a message from the NZRU saying they may not get an allocation which I find pants.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 18 Jul 2014 - 0:25

Hi Disney,

They used to be two different airports, one being ex military. I think the growth of one has subsumed the other, but instead of giving them different terminal numbers they retain their separate names.

As for tickets. Go onto the WRU web site and register your interest in the AI tickets. They then send you an email letting you know when they can be bought pre-general release, giving you a code. They won he date they are opened for pre-release sale, go to the web site as per email and put your order through. Done this many many times. Mind you they only release a limited number pre-sale and when they've gone you have to wait till release.

Word of warning,, I have always found All Black tickets the hardest to get as they are usually all gone within 5 mins of being released, both pre-sale and general release.

Good luck...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 18 Jul 2014 - 9:10

Cheers 9-yeah a sad reality of being a Kiwi-AB tickets are SO hard to get. Just registered Smile

In that case the da Vinci-Fiumicino joint moniker is appropriate-either one on its own could be misleading.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 18 Jul 2014 - 11:32

PM'd you back Bedford - you travelling back on the Sunday is killing me !!!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 18 Jul 2014 - 11:48

Cheers Pete, have replied back its the deal we got with Gullivers which I think is good deal overall just flights pain as ever.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 18 Jul 2014 - 12:04

And straight back at ya !!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content