The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

+20
catchweight
joeyjojo618
Derbymanc
Herman Jaeger
Strongback
All Time Great
mobilemaster8
rapidringsroad
TopHat24/7
Steffan
ONETWOFOREVER
88Chris05
Rowley
milkyboy
Mr Bounce
bellchees
3fingers
jimdig
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July Empty Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:51 am

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury

Says he's fighting Alexander Ustinov who's ranked 8 with the IBF and 9 with the WBA.

He's 6'8 which represents a different sort of fighter for Tyson, someone his own size!

Anyone else seen or heard of Ustinov?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July Empty Re: Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 am

He was in Death on the Nile.....

We were hoping you were going to tell us what he's like..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July Empty Re: Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

Post by jimdig Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 am

Ustinov has been around for years now, big slow and powerful was the way that I seen him. I would rate him higher than Chisora, and fury for that matter, (furys resume is wafer thin)  so I think it's a pretty good fight under the circumstances. Fury should come through being that bit quicker to the punch. But as you say a polar opposite to chisora. 

He's a legitimate fringe top 10 opponent, the type we all thought fury or haye for that matter should be working through in a build up to a title fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:24 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He was in Death on the Nile.....

We were hoping you were going to tell us what he's like..

Tumbleweed 

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 am

Couldn't resist Jabby..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:00 am

Its fine, not having restraint is probably why your wife is the most ridden bike in the UK

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 am

You could have broke it to me more gently !!..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 am

Im looking forward to this more than the Chisora fight. If Ustinov is fit (?) it's a great test to see where Fury actually is.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:29 am

However, saying that, over the years, when ustinov was touted, Ive tried to watch a couple of his fights and never watched more than a minute, per fight. He's pretty boring to watch though I'm interested in how fury performs against him, afterall, he's a good big domestic fighter from elsewhere. Not sure if Fury can go much above this level to be honest. My guess is Ustinov will be unfit and fury will look quite good because of it.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:31 am

It's a crock and you know it...

Chisora was a 40/60 fight..Stinker or not..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:57 am

This was the kind of fight Fury needed originally, a guy his own size with a decent punch to test him. Ustinov is glacial slow but has a good chin, took a real hiding from Pulev over the duration of the fight before eventually folding. Hope he's been training for another fight himself rather than just taking this as a pay day, it worries me he's been out of action for 8 months as I thought he was usually fighting 3 times a year even if they were against some stiffs.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 am

It's such a shame that Wilder couldn't have offered to step in. I for one would LOVE to see how the self-proclaimed Best Heavyweight on the Planet would deal with a windmilling powerhouse rather than the usual dross he fights.

That said I might stop following boxing if either Wilder or Fury becomes HW Champ.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 am

bellchees wrote:This was the kind of fight Fury needed originally, a guy his own size with a decent punch to test him. Ustinov is glacial slow but has a good chin, took a real hiding from Pulev over the duration of the fight before eventually folding. Hope he's been training for another fight himself rather than just taking this as a pay day, it worries me he's been out of action for 8 months as I thought he was usually fighting 3 times a year even if they were against some stiffs.

if i read correctly he was sparring chisora for the fury fight, so must be in at least some kind of condition... even if its to go 2 rounds.

Infact i think chis broke his hand hitting him!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:23 am

Mr Bounce wrote:It's such a shame that Wilder couldn't have offered to step in. I for one would LOVE to see how the self-proclaimed Best Heavyweight on the Planet would deal with a windmilling powerhouse rather than the usual dross he fights.

That said I might stop following boxing if either Wilder or Fury becomes HW Champ.
I for one would LOVE to see how the self-proclaimed Best Heavyweight on the Planet would deal with the OTHER self-proclaimed Best Heavyweight on the Planet...Double KO and subsequent suicide pact would suit me down to the ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 am

I yearn for the days prospects said they were sh!t.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 am

Rowley wrote:I yearn for the days prospects said they were sh!t.
I yearn for the days when prospects at least had the decency to admit they were new to the game and were undergoing a learning process and far from the finished article...especially when all evidence seemed to confirm this was the case. Joshua seems to be one of the few smart enough to know how to conduct himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:38 am

Fair point, nothing quite gets the blood pumping like humility.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:49 am

Pointless telling folk you're the best thing since sliced bread when the evidence presented before their eyes clearly proves you are sh!t....or at the very best, several stages below where you actually think you are.

As for getting the blood pumping, if Fury was anything to get excited about, they wouldn't have only shifted a piddling 4,000 tickets would they? Hatton could sell out fighting dross but Fury? Hey, perhaps people are slightly more discerning than I gave them credit for.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:53 am

DAVE667 wrote:Hey, perhaps people are slightly more discerning than I gave them credit for.

Didn't realise you ever gave credit to anyone to be honest, Dave!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 am

88Chris05 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Hey, perhaps people are slightly more discerning than I gave them credit for.

Didn't realise you ever gave credit to anyone to be honest, Dave!
Only when it's due Chris, only when it's due!

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 am

Obviously this guy has taken a back payment.

Noway this is a proper  fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:47 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Obviously this guy has taken a back payment.

Sex, sex, sex....It's all you ever think about !!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 am

Once Fury has dispatched of this Ustinov he will go on to beat Wilder and hopefully that b!tch Wlad will fight him and Fury will take his titles

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 am

And Swansea will win the Premiership...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:And Swansea will win the Premiership...
I hope not Truss...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 am

Fair play to Fury, frankly Ustinov is probably as big/good challenge as Chisora, albeit a totally different style. Still expect him to win but it'll be interesting to see him in with a similarly sized lump.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:55 am

He's 37 and taken the fight at 5 days notice.....

probably got three rounds in him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 am

Been Chisora's sparring partner the last few months though, so hardly coming in cold.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 am

Who knows...Let's hope he comes out and has a go..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 pm

His last fight was against Tua, he won every round and Tua then decided that his fighting days were over. Let's see how Fury goes on against this guy. Like Truss I fancied Chisora to beat Fury.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Ustinov is poor. Very poor. Beat Tua and Monte Barrett. Got stopped in his defeat.

Slow and Sluggish and if Fury don't get that kind of fighter out of there sharpish, he should probably turn away from the K Bro or any top ten ranked fighter.

To say Ustinov is top ten itself is absolutely laughable.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey mobile, i like you and like your posts but, when you consider the state of the heavyweight division, its not absurd to rate ustinov as a top ten fighter, especially when you consider the vested interests of ranking bodies. There are about 20 heavyweights that are interchangeable as top 10.

The heavyweight division is appalling, if you look at the number ranked 10 heavyweight of each organisation then there will be a plausable argument as to why ustinov shoukd be ranked above them. The number tens for each division are...

WBC - FURY
WBA - TARVER
IBF - ADEMEK
WBO - JENNINGS

P.S..... yes, I used google to help write this comment.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 pm

In consideration of the state of the heavyweight division, this is very much a live opponent for Fury. His most difficult to date.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July Empty Fury v Ustinov

Post by Strongback Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:18 am

Now that a new opponent has been confirmed what do people think of Ustinov's prospects?

At 6'8 he will be the first half decent fighter Fury has faced that is his own size.  I think it is a potential banana skin for Fury as some of his rough house tactics are less likely to be effective.

We will also get a guide as to how Fury might perform against tall fighters and this might reaffirm or disprove people's predictions on how Fury might do if he ever fought Wlad.

I have only seen Ustinov fight once and that was against Pulev where he was well beaten on points and looked a bit of a plodder.  He has a recent win over Tua although at this stage this wouldn't be a great indicator of anything.

I still think though that the parity of heights gives this fight a bit of intrigue. Hopefully Ustinov is in some sort of half decent shape.  I am expecting Fury to be trim and able to put in a good shift.

Thoughts?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:27 am

The parity in heights gives the contest a little bit of intrigue and one thing you're guaranteed with Fury is he always puts in a good shift rain or shine. I rate him quite a bit higher than many on here and I'm not just saying this, I think he can give Wlad hell.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:38 am

Good god. Tarver?! Very true fingers and I appreciate the fact the division is so poor.

I just wish Fury would clear off to be honest.

I'm hoping for a miracle on Saturday buy doubt I'll get it so I'll have to wait a few more months before I see Fury get demolished.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:41 am

Herman......really?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:52 am

I know you're not his biggest fan mobile so I hope you dont think that was in any way an attack on you, but yeah call it just a hunch, if he can take Wlad into the later rounds, the balance could shift in his favour.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:29 am

I’m not sure which Heavyweight out there has the best chance of beating Wladimir right now. Nobody has really made a statement which suggests they’re ready to topple him, so on that basis there probably aren’t too many better candidates than Fury. Whether that’s a compliment to Fury’s ability or a reflection on how poor a division the Heavyweights are is open to interpretation!

I agree that Fury’s tenacity and heart, which not all of Wlad’s recent opponents have shown, would stand him in good stead to at least make a decent go of it and force Wladimir to delve a bit deeper in to his box of tricks. He’s also a big guy so shouldn’t be as overpowered or drained in the clinches as a lot of Wlad’s smaller opponents like Povetkin and Haye have been.

But overall I just think Fury falls in between two stools too much to be the man to oust Wlad. I think there’s two ways to beat him; either be a quick swarming fighter with big power who can get low, get inside and close to Wladimir without taking shots, ala Frazier / Tyson (although a slightly cut price version of those two could still manage it), or be a fast-handed and clever back foot boxer with good reflexes who can draw counters as Wlad comes to them. It’s a bit of a myth that Sanders, for instance, just went in there and successfully tried to blast Wladimir out. He played it pretty cautiously and let Wlad come to him as he looked for counters (Wlad was very open to counter lefts back then). He just happened to find a really, really good counter left in the fight which Wlad walked in to and never recovered from. Saw his chance and took it.

Even Thompson managed to give Wladimir a decent fight and cause him some stylistic problems (in their first fight, I mean) by using some nous and cagey boxing rather than just trying to overwhelm him. Showed that if you make Wlad go after you and tempt him to open up he can be tagged and countered, albeit Thompson wasn’t as quick as Sanders and didn’t have that same punching power.

Fury doesn’t really fit either style, though. If he tries to be overly aggressive against Wlad he won’t have the movement coming in to avoid taking shots and he’s not quick or athletic enough to force Wlad to go after him, use the ring space and catch him with counters. Also worth noting that Sanders and Thompson are both lefties which suggests that Wladimir might not be as good as he usually is against southpaws. He didn’t exactly shine against Ibragimov either, come to think of it. Another thing that Fury doesn’t have going for him in this particular style match up.

I think it would probably be a more entertaining fight than most of Wlad’s others and Fury would win some new fans with his plucky approach, but I think he’d be too brave for his own good and get stopped in the middle rounds.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 am

I think the sane Chris. I genuinely feel that Fury would get hammered within 5.

Saying that, call it another hunch like Herman, but Wilder smashes fury in 3.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:44 am

Fury would get wasted within 2 rounds against Wlad or take him the distance and lose a massive UD. I can't decide.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 am

Why did we need another thread on this????

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 am

Fury is the most exciting HW on the planet and therefore one thread won't do him justice

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 am

I think he would get wiped out early (inside 6) Jabby. He doesnt have the chin for it, nor does he have the ability or mindset to run like Haye did.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:48 am

Your miracle is very possible. Fury will have done a training camp with sparring from Eddie chambers. It's fight week, sparring is done and he's fighting a 6ft 7" land mass. Anything could happen at this point. Fury will be in better shape than Ustinov, will start favourite, but if they start landing on each other I very much doubt he's more durable. 

I still think fury will win, but think an upset is very probable.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:53 am

Strongback has clearly decided that having a thread of his own was important.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 am

Well it's not, it's a pain in the ballsack (ok a minor pain but still a pain.)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:03 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Good god. Tarver?! Very true fingers and I appreciate the fact the division is so poor.

I just wish Fury would clear off to be honest.

I'm hoping for a miracle on Saturday buy doubt I'll get it so I'll have to wait a few more months before I see Fury get demolished.

I don't mind fury, he does what he thinks he needs to do to sell fights, sometimes he's quite entertaining, often he's a ranting fool but by many accounts talks quite well when not putting on a show for the camera's.

Also for all his bluster, he did take the Chis fight first time round at a stage in his career where others probably wouldn't. He did sign to fight haye... Yep it was for the kind of cheque that would have comforted him from the likely battering, but he still took the fight. Something say, wilder hasn't shown any inclination to do.

I dont think he's much cop as a fighter, but I'd rather blame the mugs who need 'hype' to watch a fight and the promoters who encourage it and media that peddle it, than the guy hamming it up for a few extra quid. Don't watch the press conferences, they're all ballcocks anyway.

Blame society not fury!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 am

Its easy to have tenacity and heart against sub standard opposition, but thats a completely different proposition to showing guts while your being broken down by the heavyweight champion of the world. No one knows how Fury (or Wilder for that matter) will react when matched with a world level opponent.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 am

Chris wrote:I think there’s two ways to beat him; either be a quick swarming fighter with big power who can get low, get inside and close to Wladimir without taking shots, ala Frazier / Tyson (although a slightly cut price version of those two could still manage it), or be a fast-handed and clever back foot boxer with good reflexes who can draw counters as Wlad comes to them.
Well Wlad tried to convince us that Mormeck was of the Tyson ilk and failed miserably but all jesting aside, Haye was supposed to be the guy with fast hands, good reflexes to draw counters but couldn't get near Wlad. Wlad didn't want to get involved, possibly fearing a heavy countering right from Haye, so stayed out of range and Haye simply lacked the reach to get in close and was pushed to the floor on the rare occasion that he did make a forward foray.

It's gotta be a fighter like Lewis that defeats Wlad... tall, excellent jab, strong in the clinches, good variety of punches and decent chin.

Right, where is he?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next