The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

+22
terryaki01
Dipper Brown
AdamT
superflyweight
theanimal316
Rodney
Derbymanc
AlexHuckerby
joeyjojo618
Strongback
88Chris05
bellchees
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Herman Jaeger
owen10ozzy
catchweight
hazharrison
Rowley
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
All Time Great
3fingers
26 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson? - Page 3 Empty Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

Post by hazharrison Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Is Golovkin the scariest hitter since Tyson?

Jackson, Trinidad, McClellan and Valero created an aura - a mystique - when they fought. Is Golovkin on that level? Is he the biggest hitter of them all - Tyson even?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson? - Page 3 Empty Re: Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 28 Jul 2014, 1:27 pm

Many times bigger than what Hammersmith?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson? - Page 3 Empty Re: Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

Post by AdamT Mon 28 Jul 2014, 4:53 pm

Ward beats GGG so easily. He absolutely schools him. Prime Froch would probably beat him too using his size and reach. GGG is very exciting but he is definitely beatable. No chance his team lets him anywhere near Ward.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 28 Jul 2014, 4:58 pm

Huge power, love how he plays to his strengths and stalks his opponent around the ring also.

Next opponent wise. Cotto and Canelo is bound to happen and I think should Cotto go after that he's more likely to want another crack at Mayweather at a higher weight than last time rather than GGG a full blown middle. Canelo might fancy GGG a bit more but I don't see him beating Cotto to get there.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 5:38 pm

Derbymanc wrote:That's on a free to air channel though Strongy, on a night when there's not really much other sport on.

HBO's a pay channel (like sky) so in reality that figure is massive (if your comparing)

Fury as has already been proven not to sell many tickets regardless of how many watch him on the gogglebox, Golovkin sells tickets.

ESPN has 100,000,000 subscribers in America. Britain has a population of 63,000,000.

Fury doing 1.5 million on C5 beats Golovkin doing 1.4 million on ESPN.

Golovkin hasn't been a PPV fighter yet.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 5:55 pm

Steve Kim's view:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/86674048/gennady-golovkin-knockout-daniel-geale-next-fight?tcid=tw_share#!boXLDo

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 28 Jul 2014, 5:56 pm

Yeah but the big difference is that tickets are being sold at the events that Golovkins boxing on, whilst that isn't the case with Fury.

To be totally honest even comparing the pair of them is idiotic. Totally different fighters currently fighting in different parts of the world.

We won't know until Golovkin gets the chance at PPV although to be fair as I hate PPV I'd rather see noone on PPV.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 28 Jul 2014, 6:15 pm

Golovkin wont be ppv anytime soon without the right opponent. They are better off building up his profile as they are doing and increasing the pressure on the top guys in the division to face him.

In the last two years he has done well in over doubling his audience and now graduating to the proper Madison Square Garden. But he has been fighting against the tide without a natural partisan fanbase and a division where the big names are keen to give him a wide berth.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 6:37 pm

Apparently there were lots of Kazakhs in attendance (fantastic piece by the wonderful Jay Caspian Kang):

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/smiling-champion

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:01 pm

hazharrison wrote:Apparently there were lots of Kazakhs in attendance (fantastic piece by the wonderful Jay Caspian Kang):

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/smiling-champion

Was Borat there?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:13 pm

hazharrison wrote:Steve Kim's view:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/86674048/gennady-golovkin-knockout-daniel-geale-next-fight?tcid=tw_share#!boXLDo

That guy is real harsh on Cotto saying he picked a soft spot in Martinez and is a protected fighter. It's not Cotto's fault Martinez was shot by the time he got in the ring, when the fight was announced everyone was of the opinion Martinez was taking the easy fight not Cotto. I don't know why I've never quite warmed to Cotto but a protected fighter he is not.

On a side note Boxrec have listed Chavez Jr vs Cotto for 6th December, they often jump the gun with these things but don't usually throw stuff out there unless there is some discussions going on. Size difference will be massive on fight night if it goes ahead.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:41 pm

bellchees wrote:

That guy is real harsh on Cotto saying he picked a soft spot in Martinez and is a protected fighter. It's not Cotto's fault Martinez was shot by the time he got in the ring, when the fight was announced everyone was of the opinion Martinez was taking the easy fight not Cotto. I don't know why I've never quite warmed to Cotto but a protected fighter he is not.

On a side note Boxrec have listed Chavez Jr vs Cotto for 6th December, they often jump the gun with these things but don't usually throw stuff out there unless there is some discussions going on. Size difference will be massive on fight night if it goes ahead.

Urgh. I'd hate to see Cotto succumb to Chavez because he was too small - he'd be completely dwarfed. And yeah, Cotto can never be accused of sidestepping any fighter. That probably would be the biggest fight going for Cotto, though, in terms of PPV.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm

I guess them contract issues Chavez was having disappeared fast when Cotto was touted.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

catchweight wrote:I guess them contract issues Chavez was having disappeared fast when Cotto was touted.

Lol. Hope he makes more than the $12m he turned down to face Golovkin!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

He turned down $2million to fight Golovkin.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:19 pm

hazharrison wrote:
bellchees wrote:

Urgh. I'd hate to see Cotto succumb to Chavez because he was too small - he'd be completely dwarfed. And yeah, Cotto can never be accused of sidestepping any fighter. That probably would be the biggest fight going for Cotto, though, in terms of PPV.

It also allows Arum to keep the belts in house.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:24 pm

Strongback wrote:He turned down $2million to fight Golovkin.  

Two fight deal: $7m minimum for a Golovkin fight with a further $5m for his comeback (after Golovkin mangled him).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
bellchees wrote:

No sh it Sherlock.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:49 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
bellchees wrote:

No sh it Sherlock.

The fight is not primarily being made as you suggested because it is the 'the biggest fight going for Cotto'.

Yet you give me the Sherlock line?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:50 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
bellchees wrote:

No sh it Sherlock.

The fight is not primarily being made as you suggested because it is the 'the biggest fight going for Cotto'.

Yet you give me the Sherlock line?

Never suggested it was.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by terryaki01 Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:05 pm

I think GGGs power could easily move up the weight, if you look at the replay, Geale lands clean first but still that shot of his finishes him, that usually takes away at least 10% of the punch so I wouldn't consider that an issue.
Highlighted more by the fact that he has never been stopped before.  Moreover, Geale shaking his head during the count speaks volumes, he wanted out of there by that stage, knowing he had no hope.
What else do you expect him to do in calling out his rivals at his and their weight?

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:09 pm

Some of these dudes are just contrary for the sake of it in the hope that one day they'll be able to say: "Told you so!".

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:28 pm

It's not about Golovkin the fighter it has always been the discussion about his spin masters I have partaken in.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:39 pm

Hearn talks about Froch v Golovkin today on IFilm London.

Go to 9.45 for the Golovkin bit.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:45 pm

There's a world of difference putting the current middleweights away and putting away the iron chinned and/or world class 168lbers. Gomez should be used as a cautionary tale of power moving up in weight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:02 pm

Must be a cold day in hell when you are directly taking Eddie Hearns word as gospel.

Hes right in any case. Golovkin and Froch would be pushing it to do a successful HBO ppv. But he would get a good Sky ppv out of it. Groves, Kessler, Degale aren't HBO ppv either. And I don't think he will ever get the Chavez fight.

He has the crux of it. Very dangerous fight for Froch, money not quite right at the moment for their liking. The same line they are all trucking out.

How does this make Golovkin a protected fighter?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm

Strongback wrote:Hearn talks about Froch v Golovkin today on IFilm London.

Go to 9.45 for the Golovkin bit.

He looks very dashing at the start of that vid  Wink 

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm

hazharrison wrote:

Two fight deal: $7m minimum for a Golovkin fight with a further $5m for his comeback (after Golovkin mangled him).

Tell the whole story and stop spinning.

Your hero Tom Loeffler could teach Alastair Campbell a few things about spin.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:31 pm

catchweight wrote:Must be a cold day in hell when you are directly taking Eddie Hearns word as gospel.

Hes right in any case. Golovkin and Froch would be pushing it to do a successful HBO ppv. But he would get a good Sky ppv out of it. Groves, Kessler, Degale aren't HBO ppv either. And I don't think he will ever get the Chavez fight.  

He has the crux of it. Very dangerous fight for Froch, money not quite right at the moment for their liking. The same line they are all trucking out.

How does this make Golovkin a protected fighter?

What made you think for a second I took Hearn's word as gospel.

Toe Loeffler and Eddie Hearn are just two boxing promoters spinning sh!te.

In the order of the universe these two unsavoury characters counteract one another.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:33 pm

Serious question Strongy, do you just not like boxing promoters in general?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:57 pm

So why post the clip? Whats it supposed to prove?

I have seen you bounce from argument to another regarding Golovkin until even the arguments start contradicting each other.

Golovkin is a top class fighter with lethal power whos earning power doesn't match the level of risk he brings. The classic combination for a fighter to be avoided. There is a huge premium on fighting him. He is the best middleweight in the world by a mile. That's all but a given. Its not rocket science as to why the big names are steering clear of him.

You are trying to say that actually this all spin. Hes not avoided. Hes protected. He isn't interested in the big fights. His management, who have the best middleweight in the world, aren't interested in getting him big money fights. They are instead paying over the odds to get the likes of Macklin or Geale or Stevens in the ring so that they make no money from a potential superstar. Its stark staring bonkers. Hes desperate for a crack at a Martinez or a Cotto or a Chavez that would give him the big money and the push he needs.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 7:03 am

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Chavez's manager Billy Keane:

"The offer was a $6.6 million guarantee for Julio to fight Golovkin, which included two extensions. Although we considered that offer a below-market offer for a pay-per-view fight of this stature, Julio, nonetheless, immediately responded to all of the fight terms. It was a fight that he wanted, it was a fight that the people wanted, and he wanted to give them that," said Keane.

"What he did not agree to was a two-fight extension. But Everything else, he agreed to. There were multiple other offers by Top Rank that always included extensions. The last one is correct. Bob did offer him a $7 million guarantee with a one-fight extension, and $10 million if he won, $5 million if he lost. Again, we accepted the fight, but not the extensions."

If he'd been confident of winning he could have made a MINIMUM of $17m for two fights. Minimum. Yet you - joker that you are - suggest Golovkin's team should make someone a big money offer to fight him!

Where on earth is Chavez going to make $17m (minimum) for two fights - one of which being against a protected fighter?

Where's the spin here genius?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 7:14 am

For the record: Chavez made $3m for the Martinez fight, $2.5m for the Vera fight (first) and 600k for Zbik.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 29 Jul 2014, 8:01 am

With the Gennady Golovkin express nearing full steam ahead the question is who will step up and fight the destructive Kazakh now?

On Sat night at Madison Square Garden win number 30 for the WBA world middleweight champion came after his disposing of former IBF/WBA title holder, Daniel Geale inside three rounds. With HBO fully behind their ever growing superstar the network plucked out a recent Carl Froch quote during their broadcast which, on paper, reads as though the WBA/IBF super middleweight champion doesn’t want any part of GGG should he step up in weight.

During the build-up to Carl Froch-George Groves 2, both fighters took to Facebook along with Sky Sports presenter Adam Smith to participate in a fans Q&A with one of the questions being:

“Would either of you be willing to face Gennady Golovkin and what would be your strategy?”

“Just swerve Golovkin like the plague. Punches like a mule. Don’t need to be in with him, dangerous fight,” responded Froch.

Froch’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, wasn’t surprised that HBO used the quotes.

“They’re trying to hype up Golovkin as much as they can and by having a quote from Froch who will really fight anyone saying that, its good marketing,” he said.

Do HBO really think someone with the record of Froch would swerve Golovkin? Probably not but the building of a potential mouth-watering epic has to begin somewhere. And Hearn is fully behind the fight if the money is correct.

“I made some comments on Twitter yesterday (Sunday) when I said that the bottom line is that the fight is not pay-per-view yet on HBO. And for a fight of that magnitude to happen you’d need PPV from HBO. You make the fights because the fans want to see it, the broadcasters want to see it and because the money’s right. And at the moment the money’s not there. And when I say it’s not there it doesn’t mean there isn’t any money in the fight it’s just not the kind of money you need to make it.

“If the right offer came in to fight Golovkin he would definitely accept because that’s what he’s like. He wants the big fights. The only person that can beat Golovkin is someone with an iron chin and that’s Froch. At 168 I think it’s a 50-50 fight, I really do.”

Hearn told ‘Scene that Team Froch have given themselves a deadline of ten days to two weeks to ‘make their move’ as to who ‘The Cobra’ will fight next. The picture features the same usual suspects as before.

“It’s still the same three in the mix. Talks have re-emerged with Chavez Jr. over the last week. Obviously the DeGale fight is a big fight domestically and a third fight with Kessler still appeals. DeGale needs to know what’s going on well because he needs to fight.”

Scene’ asked the Matchroom promoter if Froch would vacate one of his world titles for DeGale to contest should that fight not happen.

“Possibly. That’s another conversation to have with him. He doesn’t like vacating belts. But Froch has got, as you know, ambitions to fight in Vegas and that tends to be the one that makes the fire burn inside him and I think he needs that moving forward in his career.”

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 29 Jul 2014, 8:27 am

[i]
Promoter Lou Dibella is one of WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s biggest admirers in particular after watching him dissect Daniel Geale (30-3, 16 KOs) in front of 8,000+ fans on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Golovkin overpowered Geale in three rounds in stopping the normally steel-chinned Australian fighter. Dibella, however, believes that Golovkin’s success will be a double-edged sword that will lead to many of the top fighters avoiding him completely in order to keep from having their careers wrecked by him. And the fighters that do agree to fight him, they’ll want more money than they’re worth in order to either price themselves out or get as much money as possible so that they can have a nest egg to survive off while they try and rebuild their careers following a likely knockout loss to Golovkin.

“GGG is so strong and technically superior that he will be the most avoided man in boxing,” said DiBella via thaboxingvoice.com. “Opponents and other champs will want vast overpayment.”

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:54 am

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

"The offer was a $6.6 million guarantee for Julio to fight Golovkin, which included two extensions. Although we considered that offer a below-market offer for a pay-per-view fight of this stature, Julio, nonetheless, immediately responded to all of the fight terms. It was a fight that he wanted, it was a fight that the people wanted, and he wanted to give them that," said Keane.

"What he did not agree to was a two-fight extension. But Everything else, he agreed to. There were multiple other offers by Top Rank that always included extensions. The last one is correct. Bob did offer him a $7 million guarantee with a one-fight extension, and $10 million if he won, $5 million if he lost. Again, we accepted the fight, but not the extensions."

If he'd been confident of winning he could have made a MINIMUM of $17m for two fights. Minimum. Yet you - joker that you are - suggest Golovkin's team should make someone a big money offer to fight him!

Where on earth is Chavez going to make $17m (minimum) for two fights - one of which being against a protected fighter?

Why didn't you tell the whole story Alastair?

You left out the part where Chavez has one fight left with Arum in his contract and then wants to move on.  He refused to sign extensions with Arum and then Uncle Bob offered him $2 million for a stand a lone fight with Golovkin.

Here's the same Billy Keane interview you posted only with the sections you conveniently left out included:

Keane said that Arum "then came back to us with a standalone fight with no extensions for a $2 million guaranteed purse," and that Top Rank would not budge on its final one-fight offer.

"That's $5 million less and a more than 70 percent decrease than his first offer, and an upside that didn't kick in until there were 375,000 buys. This is the exact same guarantee offered to Golovkin," said Keane. "But with all due respect to Golovkin, there is no scenario where anyone believes that Chavez and Golovkin are in parity and that they should be making the same, or similar or even in the same ballpark the amount of money."

Asked if he would continue to work with Top Rank to make a Golovkin fight, Keane said, "Of course."

"This is a fight that Julio wants. He just wants to be treated fairly. I really do hope that this is the last go-around with misrepresentations by Top Rank," said Keane. "Or I will be forced to go into even greater detail about Top Rank's attempts to be unfair and inequitable in its attempts to coerce Julio into signing extensions. I will not hesitate to use emails, texts and multiple contracts to prove these points. It's entirely up to Top Rank where they want to be."

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

Derbymanc wrote:Serious question Strongy, do you just not like boxing promoters in general?

Very few boxing fans like promoters. Been burned and let down by them too many times.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:32 am

I think we're seeing that a lot (especially with the Bob Arum thing above) but I do also think we should point out when they do something right (any promoter) as in this day and age with social media etc they might notice it and continue to try and do that.

Whilst you pointed out that Chavez didn't want the extensions, I think if your being guaranteed 7mill for 2 fights (GGG and a.n.other) then I don't see the major issue with taking it. What I don't understand is was it a minimum 7Mill or was it the 10/5 mil for the Golovkin fight + 7mil?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:45 am

Strongback wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:Serious question Strongy, do you just not like boxing promoters in general?

Very few boxing fans like promoters.  Been burned and let down by them too many times.
Get a grip, what's the alternative...allowing fighters to arrange their own fights?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:03 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Very few boxing fans like promoters.  Been burned and let down by them too many times.
Get a grip, what's the alternative...allowing fighters to arrange their own fights?

Dave if you had your way you would have the fights in a satanic pentagon shaped ring. There would be ritual sacrifice of virgin ring girls between rounds. The main event would by a gang fight: Slayer v The Post Black Album Metallica.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:15 am

Sounds better than last weekend's Warren card.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Dave if you had your way you would have the fights in a satanic pentagon shaped ring.  There would be ritual sacrifice of virgin ring girls between rounds.  The main event would by a gang fight: Slayer v The Post Black Album Metallica.
And you'd whinge and moan as Metallica (By the way, it'd be post "..and Justice for all" Metallica) pi$$ed their pants and failed to come out for the first round such is the terrifying magnificence of SLAYER!

All I'd hear is "Blah Blah mismatch, even Anthrax/Megadeth would have been better than this carp. How did Overkill get a shot at Testament, I thought Vio-lence were more deserving but everyone ducking them anyway" etc etc etc

Also they're pentagrams not pentagons but I'm sure you know that what with you being smarter than everyone else because you alone know that the Black Album is the best album ever written because you got your mummy to buy it for you so you could play "Nothing Else Matters"

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:24 am

So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trust in who we are
And nothing else matters

Metallic loves you Dave.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:28 am

By far your worst post on the forum...which is really saying something

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

You left out the part where Chavez has one fight left with Arum in his contract and then wants to move on.  He refused to sign extensions with Arum and then Uncle Bob offered him $2 million for a stand a lone fight with Golovkin.

Here's the same Billy Keane interview you posted only with the sections you conveniently left out included:

Keane said that Arum "then came back to us with a standalone fight with no extensions for a $2 million guaranteed purse," and that Top Rank would not budge on its final one-fight offer.

"That's $5 million less and a more than 70 percent decrease than his first offer, and an upside that didn't kick in until there were 375,000 buys. This is the exact same guarantee offered to Golovkin," said Keane. "But with all due respect to Golovkin, there is no scenario where anyone believes that Chavez and Golovkin are in parity and that they should be making the same, or similar or even in the same ballpark the amount of money."

Asked if he would continue to work with Top Rank to make a Golovkin fight, Keane said, "Of course."

"This is a fight that Julio wants. He just wants to be treated fairly. I really do hope that this is the last go-around with misrepresentations by Top Rank," said Keane. "Or I will be forced to go into even greater detail about Top Rank's attempts to be unfair and inequitable in its attempts to coerce Julio into signing extensions. I will not hesitate to use emails, texts and multiple contracts to prove these points. It's entirely up to Top Rank where they want to be."

And that isn't spin? I cut and pasted the section that detailed the two-fight deal as it was pertinent to my point.

Who the hell turns down a minimum of $17m for a two-fight deal when they've been earning between $0.6m-$3m?

None of your arguments hold water - trolling and little more.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:09 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

And that isn't spin? I cut and pasted the section that detailed the two-fight deal as it was pertinent to my point.

Who the hell turns down a minimum of $17m for a two-fight deal when they've been earning between $0.6m-$3m?

You posted 17m and I said 2m. You then posted the article but left out the part that stated Chavez only wanted a one fight deal and turned down the extensions. Arum then tried to low ball Chavez on a one fight deal for 2m.

You call me a troll but you seem to have difficulty with basic reading comprehension. Either that or you have being very selective in how you presented the Chavez negotiations. Why quote one part of the deal on offer and not all of it? Is it because you are blind to things that don't suit your argument?

My argument is there is a huge amount of spin around Golovkin not being able to get a fight. The fact GGG calls out a 154 fighter and has tried to negotiate a fight with 168lb'er is something you keep ignoring by saying he should only have to fight at middleweight. Not the first time we have heard this argument from you about a middleweight fighter.

Blinkered bloody mindedness and nothing else.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:13 pm

Are you saying that 2mil for 1 fight is better than 17 mil for 2? and also do you think Chavez can make that money elsewhere?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm

There is no spin about Golovkins struggle to get big fights. None whatsoever. There are numerous quotes from rival promoters and fighters all saying the same thing. This guy is the real deal. Hes an incredibly dangerous fighter. And if you want us to risk facing him then its going to take a colossal amount of money. The kind of money that only a handful of fighters can generate.

Calling Golovkin a protected fighter, now that is spin of the highest order.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:47 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Are you saying that 2mil for 1 fight is better than 17 mil for 2? and also do you think Chavez can make that money elsewhere?

It was Golovkin and a one or two fight extension.

Chavez has one fight left on his contract and wants to leave Arum directly after that fight.

Arum was trying to push Chavez into a contract extension.

Chavez tried to negotiate a one fight deal and Arum basically said 'you want to leave me then I'm only offering you $2 million to fight Golovkin'.

Arum offered Chavez $7 million to fight Golovkin on the condition he sign a two fight extension that would guarantee Chavez $12-17 million.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

You posted 17m and I said 2m. You then posted the article but left out the part that stated Chavez only wanted a one fight deal and turned down the extensions. Arum then tried to low ball Chavez on a one fight deal for 2m.

You call me a troll but you seem to have difficulty with basic reading comprehension. Either that or you have being very selective in how you presented the Chavez negotiations.  Why quote one part of the deal on offer and not all of it?   Is it because you are blind to things that don't suit your argument?

My argument is there is a huge amount of spin around Golovkin not being able to get a fight.  The fact GGG calls out a 154 fighter and has tried to negotiate a fight with 168lb'er is something you keep ignoring by saying he should only have to fight at middleweight.  Not the first time we have heard this argument from you about a middleweight fighter.

Blinkered bloody mindedness and nothing else.  

You are nothing but a nuisance, so let’s put this to bed and have done with you, troll.

You have written nothing but drivel on this thread, unfounded rubbish from your imagination. You’re either a diehard Floyd fan, or a diehard Ward fan, who, for some bizarre reason that I can only assume relates to some personality defect, can’t bring yourself to credit a “rival” fighter (despite the fact Golovkin is nothing of the sort, being that he’s a middleweight and both Ward and Floyd reside in other divisions).

You have claimed that Golovkin is a protected fighter, an attention-seeking view that has no basis in reality. Here’s the facts:

• Golovkin has built up a steady following on HBO, a channel that draws up a shortlist of fighters he’s permitted to fight, within the two years he’s been with the network.
• Fighters who have turned down a fight with Golovkin (after being offered a contract) are: Daniel Geale (who he’s since demolished), Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, and James Kirkland. Fighters who have shown little inclination to face him are: Sergio Martinez (Lou DiBella is on record stating he didn’t want Martinez to fight Golovkin as he was too dangerous a foe to get in with after such a long lay-off), Carl Froch, Felix Sturm and Darren Barker.
• Without a title fight forthcoming, Golovkin’s team have attempted to move him into a PPV fight. The most obvious candidate being Chavez Jr. As we’ve seen previously on this thread, Chavez was offered a fantastic two-fight deal to get in with GGG, but turned it down. Arum then offered him $2m for a one-fight deal, which, when one considers he made the following sums previously: $3m for Martinez, $2.5m for Vera and 600k for Zbik, isn’t exactly peanuts for a match against a supposed “protected fighter”.
• Golovkin, in his desperation to land a marquee match that would raise his profile, has offered to drop down a weight (to face Floyd) or go up a weight (to face Chavez). Those are the only PPV fights in his vicinity (other than Martinez, Cotto and possibly Canelo). None of these options are amenable to you.
• He can’t fight Andre Ward, as Ward can’t break free from a promotional wrangle. In addition, Ward isn’t a draw – hence the fact he was pining for a fight with Chavez himself.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I’ve actually read facts and presented them here. Golovkin is a middleweight. He deserves the opportunity to become middleweight king – the same opportunity Andre Ward was afforded at 168 -- and should be commended for his perseverance in such a frustrating position.

You have presented nothing but a crackpot idea that Golovkin’s team have protected him by offering to face every middleweight worth their salt a fight (for short-end money) in the hope they’ll be turned down and so earn poorly in comparison.

Here’s your argument:

1. Golvkin’s team should stump up more cash to land an opponent.

Chavez was offered a monumental purse that was guaranteed even if he lost!

2. Golovkin is cherry picking fighters at 168 or 154.

He has offered to fight all-comers, however, the only fighters who make a move away from 160 worthwhile are the two he’s offered to fight.

3. Golovkin is protected.

No evidence.

Unless you can produce evidence to support this drivel about Golovkin – the most avoided boxer in the sport – being protected, then you’re merely wasting everyone’s time. That’s trolling. If that’s your bag, then I pity you pal.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:53 pm

Strongback wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:Are you saying that 2mil for 1 fight is better than 17 mil for 2? and also do you think Chavez can make that money elsewhere?

It was Golovkin and a one or two fight extension.

Chavez has one fight left on his contract and wants to leave Arum directly after that fight.

Arum was trying to push Chavez into a contract extension.

Chavez tried to negotiate a one fight deal and Arum basically said 'you want to leave me then I'm only offering you $2 million to fight Golovkin'.

Arum offered Chavez $7 million to fight Golovkin on the condition he sign a two fight extension that would guarantee Chavez $12-17 million.

It was a one fight extension (a Golovkin fight and one more). Even if he lost, he was guaranteed $12m. If he won, he'd be guaranteed $17m.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next