The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The "PGA" - Best Major, or an Afterthought?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+38
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
Be_the_ball
JAS
navyblueshorts
EmmDee57
Shotrock
Dave.
Snap Hook
mystiroakey
bluestonevedder
LadyPutt
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
incontinentia
MustPuttBetter
Plunky
hogie
Bob_the_Job
liverbnz
CJB
hend085
SmithersJones
John Cregan
Eyetoldyouso
beninho
Mad for Chelsea
Sand
George1507
McLaren
GPB
skiddy
super_realist
pedro
Diggers
sirbenson
Davie
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The "PGA" - Best Major, or an Afterthought?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty PGA Tour: The "PGA" - Best Major, or an Afterthought?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Strange, isn't it, that the lightly regarded "Fourth Major" invariably has the best field and often the most interesting finish?
The ambition to produce the Top 100 in the owgr has clearly been punctured with Dustin Johnson absent, Tiger Woods a doubt, and others (Crane, Day, DeLaet, Toms) who were sufficiently infirm last week to withdraw from their respective tournaments, but the Top 130 in this week's field won't be matched this year anywhere in the World.

2).You don't need Mark Knopfler to tell you that half the Tour is coming down with Industrial Disease.
No word as to who's got smoker's cough from smoking, brewer's droop from drinking beer, and if Jesus is on hunger strike, dying by degrees, a dozen or two of the field will undoubtedly give up the ghost on the first tees. Not sure about "Rule Brittania, gassy beer, page three"! Have to speak to Poulter about that.

Whatever, we certainly have more than our fair share of casualties, most of whom will play, but whether just going through the motions or not remains to be seen.

3).Another wonderful win from Rory last week - reckon he won it on Saturday with birdies on #17 and #18 rather than on Sunday. Those two threes crept him closer to the lead and deeper inside Sergio's head, and early Sunday birdies clinched the deal.
Just a thought as one reflected upon the summer form of Rory, followed albeit at a distance, of Kaymer, Scott, Rose and Garcia:
Are we entering a brand new post-Tiger era of golfing excellence, or has it always been there, just a level below the Woods of a decade ago? I'm inclined to feel we're seeing some separation with Rory at one level, the next five or six consistently just behind, and some distance to those below the top seven or eight players.

4).As at Tuesday afternoon Valhalla time, all we know is that Woods has not yet been to the course and it's anyone's guess as to whether he'll be teeing it up on Thursday. But he won't be a force just because he's playing, he'll only be a force again, if ever, when he sets his ego aside, gets himself properly fit, and ratchets down his swing and resultant effect on his aging physique. Odds against in my book, but he's surprised before.

5).The PGA will be played, for the third time in 20 years, at Valhalla GC a Jack Nicklaus design outside Louisville, Kentucky. The Par-71 was also the venue for Azinger's Ryder Cup Team victory in 2008.
Several of the Team members from 2008 played well, Mickelson among them to go with Top Ten finishes in the 1996 (T8) and 2000 (T9) PGA Championships. Robert Karlsson was entering the best run of form of his life, Messrs Mahan, Rose and McDowell made promising Ryder Cup debuts, and Poulter excelled in a losing cause.

6).Others in the field with PGA Championship / Ryder Cup form who might be expected to contend (so not you Mark Brooks, nor even Kenny Perry who will doubtless perform well following his Langer-beating effort last week) include:
1996 PGA:
T17: Furyk
T24: Jimenez
T61: Els

2000 PGA:
3rd: Thomas Bjorn
T16: Westwood
T19: Cabrera (Nantz looked at Faldo as if he had two heads when sirnick suggested El Pato as a contender this week)
T34: Els, Garcia (who's on recent record as saying he doesn't like the course, certainly played as if he didn't in the Ryder Cup)
T64: Jimenez
T72: Furyk

2008 Ryder Cup:
0.5 pt: Jimenez, Stricker
1.0 pt: Casey, Garcia, Westwood
1.5 pts: Stenson
2.0 pts: Karlsson, Mickelson (playing mostly with a young hotshot called Kim)
2.5 pts: Furyk, Holmes, McDowell
3.0 pts: Rose
3.5 pts: Mahan
4.0 pts: Poulter

7).European chances:
Got to include McIlroy of course and I like the chances of Bjorn, Karlsson, Rose and Stenson.
Can't see Sergio contending while there's chat about Kaymer having back/neck issues.
Hopefully McDowell will play well but is this course a little too long for him? He'll be off on paternity leave shortly.
Big week for Donald (nah) and Donaldson. And will Lowry bring his links form to the Blue Grass?

8).Americans, also playing to earn a spot on Watson's Ryder Cup Team:
Bradley and Fowler are in great form right now.
Dufner's got his bulging discs and wonder if Valhalla is just too long for Furyk and Zach Johnson (who needs a good result for Ryder Cup ambitions)?
No doubt Kuchar will be there or thereabouts, perhaps Mahan will rediscover his form of 2008, while Snedeker and Holmes are local-ish.
And I wouldn't rule out Mickelson, somewhat (and rightly so) overlooked all year, but he found something last Sunday - can he keep it going?

9)."Internationals":
Great to see Ogilvy pick up his win last week and like him and Scott best of the Aussies, especially given Day's fitness issues.
No South African has won in the US for three years and can't see that changing.
But I love Cabrera's recent form and expect him to make some noise, while Matsuyama has already won on one Nicklaus course this year.

10).It won't be the stiflingly hot August week that you'd expect in Louisville, but there'll be enough humidity to make it feel warm and precipitate random thundershowers.
Hopefully the cream will rise to the top as it has for most big events this year.
The PGA won't have the glamour of The Masters, the history of the US Open or the tradition of The Open Championship, but it will host the best field and will surely provide a deserving winner.
Hope ailing stars get healthy and we enjoy a great Championship.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The "PGA" - Best Major, or an Afterthought?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The "PGA" - Best Major, or an Afterthought?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 1:40 pm

Lots of good guys up there Digs, no doubt.
Still think Stenson could be one to go low, but if Rory can't do the business it wouldn't bother me at all to see Oosthuizen do it; don't feel he's ever got credit for his Open win.

Shane is on his way, benign conditions right now so expect some low scores early on.

McDowell missed one fairway on Saturday, two greens, yet imploded with a snowman on the 13th hole, probably got a mudball with his second shot into the drink, rinsed his fourth, eight. Too bad.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The "PGA" - Best Major, or an Afterthought?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The "PGA" - Best Major, or an Afterthought?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Aug 2014, 1:58 pm

Think Westwood may be a bit too far back.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 3:07 pm

A nine-horse race for me; if the scores are low I can't see Rory not shooting in the 60's, and that would pretty much exclude the 8-unders and worse.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 3:08 pm

Maybe Westy being off the radar a bit might help him but agree possibly a shot to far back, would need a 65 and a bit of luck?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 3:13 pm

Am on holiday in the Isle of Wight, very exotic! However apartment wifi, an IPad and Sky Go means I can watch tonites round. Technology is a wonderful thing.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 3:22 pm

Underated part of the World, Digs; childhood hols and twenties' cricket tours, no wi-fi though, not back then! They'd only just got TV.

Bad two days for Shane, but playing well this morning. Hope he keeps it up. Growing as a golfer, slimming as a man, getting better all the time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Aug 2014, 4:21 pm

Poulter with another meaningless Sunday charge!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 5:16 pm

No-one really setting Valhalla alight this morning; good 67 from Lowry however.

Afternoon thundershowers being forecast for round about the time the top contenders head out. Hopefully nothing to interfere with play.

Apart from the "W" and Ryder Cup points, two other opportunities on the line today:
Top 4: Receive invitations to 2014 Masters.
Top 15: Are exempt for the 2015 PGA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 6:03 pm

Pictures don't lie, pouring at the course. But radar shows very little rain in the area - hopefully Valhalla will get a reprieve shortly.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

OK, Whitecaps on the fairways and whirlpools on the greens, ain't playing no golf until at least 7.00 p.m. Nairn-time.

Moronic thing is, they started so late that it is almost impossible for them to complete any play-off today, not that it will be necessary of course.
Talk about pandering to TV to the expense of players and spectators, viewers too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 7:07 pm

I think we've gone beyond the point of Monday return as far as the leading groups are concerned, no way they can resume play now and finish tonight.
Given the forecast, why didn't they start play at 7.00 a.m.? Might still not have completed Round 4 but would at least have had the chance.
Imagine TV had a huge say in defying common sense.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 7:19 pm

Ernie Els reckons the course is so saturated they should postpone any further play until Monday.

The PGA says, "Get you wellies and sou'wester Ernie", play resumes at 2.40 p.m.

With no lift, clean and place/cheat, and so much at stake for so many golfers, this could take an age. Any more "weather" and they're stuffed. Hope the course is playable and we don't have a farce.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 10 Aug 2014, 7:46 pm

Diggers wrote:Am on holiday in the Isle of Wight, very exotic! However apartment wifi, an IPad and Sky Go means I can watch tonites round. Technology is a wonderful thing.
Agreed Diggers. I am also on holiday with wifi and Sky Go. However, I can out exotic you. Burnley , Lancashire. Building up my photographic portfolio for my hobby job when I retire in January.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 7:57 pm

Is your photographic subject lots of ran down terraced houses INW? Actually never been to Burnley, what are you shooting?
IOW is lovely thus far, tanked down this morning but lovely if very breezy afternoon and evening stroll along the beach with the family.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:09 pm

Just a tad more upbeat than that that Diggers. Heritage Railways. Steam trains etc. Something to keep me busy. Just using Burnley as a base.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm

As we're comparing, I'm also on holiday in.....Minehead!
Have sorted the wifi and the laptop is on.....
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:22 pm

King Louis playing with G'Day; 1st and 2nd in long drive effort earlier this week.

No-one really motoring out there, nothing better than -4 (Olesen) out on the course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:24 pm

Faldo still doing that trip routine?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:28 pm

Are you at Butiins MPB?
UK holidays are where it's at, we've even bought a tent but not for this holiday.
To be honest I can't bring myself to spend 7k for two weeks on a first choice holiday surrounded by people I don't want to be surrounded by. Plus cutting out the flying makes life a lot easier with 2 little ones.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:43 pm

I thought you guys wanted to play in the Ryder Cup?
Johnson and Poulter imploding.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:44 pm

Diggers wrote:Are you at Butiins MPB?
UK holidays are where it's at, we've even bought a tent but not for this holiday.
To be honest I can't bring myself to spend 7k for two weeks on a first choice holiday surrounded by people I don't want to be surrounded by. Plus cutting out the flying makes life a  lot easier with 2 little ones.

Ooh...the stress of getting through airports or negotiating the M5 during the summer...it really is a tight call. Going down to Saunton last Friday took 4 hours (should be about 2:10). However looking across at the Northbound they were a steady crawl from where I joined to where I departed J18 - J27. What's the point of going to de-stress for a week if at the end of it you're faced with a journey home 10 times longer than it should be??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:53 pm

True enough Jas, only an hour and a half drive home along the coast for me after a 40 minute ferry.
Mind you we are taking the girls to Peppa Pig World on the way home. 6 hours in traffic jam would probably be preferable.
Lots of birdies out there, Ernie tearing it up.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I thought you guys wanted to play in the Ryder Cup?
Johnson and Poulter imploding.
Lowry a much better pick for Ryder Cup than Poulter based on today's play.

Great start by Palmer, Stenson and Ilonen.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:As we're comparing, I'm also on holiday in.....Minehead!

As we're comparing, I'm on holiday next Saturday in.....The Bahamas!

Hoping to avoid that stressful airport journey by driving up on Friday night and staying at the Heathrow Sheraton  Wink

Last edited by BlueCoverman on Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:16 pm

That's not too bad then. I think Devon, Cornwall & Somerset have filled up more at holiday time over the past 2-3 years because of flight prices abroad (it's almost like the airlines don't want don't want the business).

Impressive indeed from Ernie, be interesting to see if they get it done tonight. Still McIlroys to lose I think, got a funny feeling Fowler may break his duck if McIlroy falters.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:17 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:

Hoping to avoid that stressful airport journey by driving up Friday on night and staying at the Heathrow Sheraton  Wink

Which Island Blue?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:25 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:

Hoping to avoid that stressful airport journey by driving up on Friday night and staying at the Heathrow Sheraton  Wink

Barsteward Wink

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:35 pm

Staying at the Breezes Resort on New Providence JAS. Have you been there?...first time in the Bahamas for us.

Sorry Digs...must admit we didn't go long haul when our kids were your girls age either!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 9:53 pm

Blue,
Make sure you have supper at Graycliff Restaurant/hotel in Nassau.

No-one in the house better than Shane Lowry and Thorbjorn so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:05 pm

incontinentia wrote:

Why limit that sentiment just to todays play. Lowry has been better than Poulter all year.

5 at the top, what a contrast to the last two majors. Surely phil will finish this one off?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm

Hopefully this is when Fowler wins his 1st major and deservedly so.

Anything to annoy S_R and his arrogant ways would make me happy.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm

Anyone but Fowler please.
Mickelson or Stenson would be fine.

Some round Ernie is putting together. Don't rule him out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:26 pm

4th and 5th pretty boring holes visually, but providing great golf. Suspect Stenson may end last man standing, will the Mick/Ricky group get too carried away with themselves??!!

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:32 pm

At Butlins yes Digs. Never been to one before and to be honest only have come here as my bro and his wife and kids are here too and seems good for the little ones.

Me and the wife used to really enjoy camping before our daughter came along. We've been with her but it's really hard work
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm

super_realist wrote:Anyone but Fowler please.
Mickelson or Stenson would be fine.

Some round Ernie is putting together. Don't rule him out.

Your such a bitter and horrible man.
I really hope Fowler wins to irk you to the bone.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm

Blue - nice! If you'd have said before I arrived in Minehead I'd have offered you the swap...
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm

The sleepless nights have beaten the golf tonight. Though little one lijely to be up before 1am so may be awake for the ending. I think fowler looks good for this. But maybe stenson or rory or phil..basically its too close to call. 5 live it is for me now.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:49 pm

McIlroy is really struggling, hard to see him blowing the field away at the moment. He seems more likely to blow his own chances.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:51 pm

Stenson charging like a raging Swedish bull
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:53 pm

McLaren wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Why limit that sentiment just to todays play.  Lowry has been better than Poulter all year.

True I hadn't thought of that, hopefully Mcginley will see sense
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:57 pm

1 hr 35 minutes for 6 holes for Rory.
Even if they speed up (and it's certainly not them wot are slow) they're not finishing by sunset.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:58 pm

Stenson will win this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:00 pm

Well that's me for the night, having to watch on an IPhone due to technical issues and not really enough to keep me up. Shame as it's looking wide open.
Go Wicky !!!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:06 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:1 hr 35 minutes for 6 holes for Rory.
Even if they speed up (and it's certainly not them wot are slow) they're not finishing by sunset.

Has fowler always been this slow?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:13 pm

Stenson on fire!!!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:45 pm

Weather 11 out of 10 here in the Adirondack Park. Simply stunning.

Rory not playing to plan (but there is time).

They may have to turn on the headlights the last hole.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:56 pm

Getting a little better for Rory now!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 11 Aug 2014, 12:01 am

Beware the Irishman! The lad is focused.

C'mon Rory.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 11 Aug 2014, 12:02 am

Yep, ive wanted to see how Mcilroy reacted to a street fight. Glad to see him able to scrap back. Leading by 8 shots is one thing, scraping back another.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 11 Aug 2014, 12:03 am

Yep, ive wanted to see how Mcilroy reacted to a street fight. Glad to see him able to scrap back. Leading by 8 shots is one thing, scraping back another.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next