The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs India - Fifth Test, The Oval

+24
JDizzle
kingraf
Scrumpy
Mat
mystiroakey
dyrewolfe
hampo17
alfie
freemo
guildfordbat
liverbnz
Liam
Gerry SA
LondonTiger
Azzy
Dorothy_Mantooth
Gregers
sirfredperry
Mad for Chelsea
GSC
KP_fan
msp83
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
28 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

England vs India - Fifth Test, The Oval - Page 3 Empty England vs India - Fifth Test, The Oval

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Well this morning England have named an unchanged squad for the fifth and final test of the season

Means Plunkett hasn't recovered from his injury, Broad will be assessed with Stokes/Finn waiting in the wings and Sam Robson gets one more test
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs India - Fifth Test, The Oval - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs India - Fifth Test, The Oval

Post by hampo17 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 4:03 pm

Looks like a decent game at OT, Durham 199-6 at the moment. Not quite as good as this one obviously Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

England vs India - Fifth Test, The Oval - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs India - Fifth Test, The Oval

Post by alfie Fri 15 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm

Dhoni making India's score slightly more respectable .

Bell's drop proving rather costly - at least in context. Last wicket partnership syndrome again ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:06 pm

Massive respect to the Dhoni.

Showing steel. Annoying England a bit...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:09 pm

Just shows what a bit if application can do
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:22 pm

Thank god for that.

Cook is an awful Captain.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:23 pm

After so much hard work what a poor way to get out.

Why is cook an awful captain? Not sure what else he could have done to get the wicket as those two didn't give a chance until the wicket fell.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:25 pm

Yeah... quite awful, given the amount of deliveries flying through the slips, or the covers... or anywhere really. Down with Cook
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:26 pm

He has got to go at the end of the series, far too cautious.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:28 pm

Put a side in, bowl them out for under 150.

Cook must go?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:28 pm

Don't talk garbage, he has had catchers in for most of the day, Dhoni was looking for four or two that's why he had the fielders out, what would you rather that he just leaked boundaries? He's had a good day so far.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:29 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Thank god for that.

Cook is an awful Captain.

Wat.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:36 pm

Cook has had a good day and a good series - I told you beating India was his hobby!

As before then, if England muster a score of 300 or above then it will surely be match-winning.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:38 pm

Same as last game -get to 350 .. Declare or bat out and bowl them out. Bad weather is around us

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:38 pm

Fair play to Dhoni, like at OT he showed the rest of his side the value of some grit and application
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:40 pm

Sharma moaning about the foot holes, he seems to have more problems on the follow through than in his bowling stride.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 15 Aug 2014, 5:45 pm

Scrumpy has been singing that same song for ages. Hasn't much to do with what happens on the field...

Suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that Cook has done a pretty good job as the season has progressed , after having to battle with poor personal form and an inexperienced team lacking in confidence... Might not write a book on captaincy , but has got more right than wrong , especially over these last three matches. No evidence anyone else currently around would do any better...

On with the game. Kumar might bowl well on this , as long as he isn't too shattered by his efforts this summer. Ishant back too , so England need to bat well to drive home the advantage won by their bowlers.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm

Took a while, but the band's tuning up.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cricket/india-vs-england-2014/james-anderson-on-a-par-with-world-no-1-dale-steyn-alastair-cook_794084.html
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:32 pm

Anderson is more talented than Steyn, but the South African is more consistent, hence why Steyn is the more highly regarded.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:39 pm

Cook in bigging up own team shocker.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:40 pm

Robo doing well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm

Jordan, Woakesy and robo have done da biz so far today...

I think we may have a team with zero passengers..

Come on England.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:53 pm

You don't half speak garbage, do you Duty? It's really not even close between the two of them, and Cook would be better served calling Ali the greatest spinner in history. Anderson-Steyn comparisons are as close to heresy as you get in cricket.

Anderson is good and all, but it's mind bending to even put him on the same plane as Steyn. This is even worse than Gerrard's "Cole can do everything Messi can do" faux pas.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:57 pm

That above comment is so ridiculous that I do not believe it merits a response.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:07 pm

Superb day for England, and one that probably ensures they will run out 3-1 winners.

I am particularly pleased for Sam Robson: he will be delighted to get through a testing mini-session and establish a base for a big score tomorrow which, hopefully, will confirm his place for the tour of the Windies

England, if they do not get careless, can rack up 450+ here; India will have totally surrendered by now.

Time for Lord Geoffrey on Channel Five! Ruuuubish!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:17 pm

It would take an effort beyond me to top the 2012 "Bell is better than Amla", "Pietersen > Kallis"... or the revisionist "England were not ready" "England were not right" pieces that followed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:18 pm

day couldn't have gone any better for England could it!!!  Bat once, rack them up, and skittle India again!!

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:12 pm

Anderson is a world class bowler

Steyn however is on a different planet to any other quickie in the world at this moment.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm

There was a real debate who was the best a few years ago as the 2-3 years before Anderson averaged better than styen, playing the same level of teams within that time frame. Anderson didn't start out great though and along with every other England player had a down period until the last 3 matches .

Steyn beats him. But over the last 5 years jimmy has to be considered no.2

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:30 pm

mystiroakey wrote:There was a real debate who was the best a few years ago as  the 2-3 years before Anderson averaged better than styen, playing the same level of teams within that time frame. Anderson didn't start out great though and along with every other England player had a down period until the last 3 matches .

Steyn beats him. But over the last 5 years jimmy has to be considered no.2

For me its Steyn (head and shoulders above anyone else) then the rest (Anderson, Johnson, Ryan Harris, Boult etc).
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:32 pm

Comparing Mitch and Harris to Anderson Isn't fair. They have only just become top draw. Anderson has years on them at the highest level.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:34 pm

It wasn't worth the debate, in any case, if you ask me. Anderson at that time was good, but he was hardly Johnson Summer 2013 good. That's a proper hot streak.

In any case, Steyn still wouldn't be the most talented bowler I've seen. Mohammad Asif was almost ridiculous. Had the ball on a string, he really did. It's a real pity he fell into some not so nice trappings.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:35 pm

kingraf wrote:It wasn't worth the debate, in any case, if you ask me. Anderson at that time was good, but he was hardly Johnson Summer 2013 good.  That's a proper hot streak.

In any case, Steyn still wouldn't be the most talented bowler I've seen. Mohammad Asif was almost ridiculous. Had the ball on a string, he really did. It's a real pity he fell into some not so nice trappings.

Amir is the one that got away, what a talent that kid was. The next Akram
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:43 pm

He was good, but he wasn't anywhere near Asif. Given the fact that they were only looking to take wickets every now and then, their records are remarkable.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:50 pm

kingraf wrote:He was good, but he wasn't anywhere near Asif. Given the fact that they were only looking to take wickets every now and then, their records are remarkable.

Amir would've been great imo.

Youngest bowler to take fifty wickets in tests and 51 wickets in 14 tests at just under 30 for a guy in his teens is something special (especially as you say they were only meant to take wickets now and then at home).

Asif in his younger days actually played at a local club five miles down the road from me. Took over 100 wickets in I think 25 games (one innings games). Mental
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:03 pm

Just watched the highlights.

Good to see Jordan/Woakes amongst the wickets, Woakes in particular has bowled better than his figures previously suggested. A much improved bowler from 12 months ago (be interesting to see him have a proper bat at some point too)

Pleased for Robson to get through to the end of play. Hopefully will kick on and make a score, securing a spot for the west Indies tour. He's got a few faults to iron out (bat comes down at an angle in defence too often) but he's mentally got the tools/temperament which can be half the battle. 

India - absolute shambles.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:26 am

if Robson gets some runs today.....it will turn Eng into a "Zero Defect"  team  Very Happy 

everyone is contributing....no weak links

and that in itself should be a worry....too good to be true factor comes in Shocked 

In reality too many cracks might be papered here ......against an Indian team that just doesn't turn up.

Eng will get 400+ and win by an innings margin in under 3 days like the T4....
even Zim or many FC sides would offer more resistance

so read into these English performances with a pinch of salt
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:29 am

Nah take the positives Graf. It would be stupid not to.

Up the ENGLAND Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:54 am

Yeah, England's greater experience in five match cricket series' has seen them through. I think India are just mentally checked out now.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

I am just gutted we have to wait so long till we play test again. We need more test matches.. When are we playing you guys next!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:04 am

Next December mate. Will be an interesting series. Think Australia caught up at the right time (Smith mentally checked out, first series without Kallis, empty cupboards at spin... and Johnson), the pieces are coming together now. If Philander can get some form back, I think we've got too much firepower, but for sure I expect your team to put up some resistance, depending on the nature of the wickets.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:07 am

We are not too dissimilar in regards to the make up of our teams(SA are just better with a similar type team). Neither of us have a mitch or a warne..

Its annoying we cant get some continuity going with our test team as we wont be playing again for ages.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:14 am

No Test matches for England in seven and a half months, then ten Tests in four and a half months!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:16 am

It's changing though a bit under Amla. We aren't strangling teams out with the ball anymore, we're going for the kill, even if it means going for a bit of tap. That's a good thing, but it does give teams a better chance to counter attack. That's probably your best chance.

Also, for all of Mitch's magic this summer, I'd always rather have Steyn.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:24 am

Yeah I am not sure if Mitch can keep it up tbh. Time will tell

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:27 am

This may be robo's is last game ...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:30 am

Now I am disappointed for Robson; that may of been his last chance.

My confidence in these two at the crease, though, is absolute.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:37 am

Eh Robson will still be in the discussion, all depends what he does with the Lions in south Africa this winter. If he can score runs again there he'll get another go.

Hard to see what options we have for alternatives. Hales has the talent (if we change who I'd go with), Lyth had a good county season, his partner Lees has been earmarked for the future, maybe throw him in early.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:48 am

Would it be a cray Idea to just move balance up. It's not as if he has managed his runs after great starts. He comes in early most of the time anyway..

Then we can give Taylor another go

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:50 am

mystiroakey wrote:Would it be a cray Idea to just move balance up. It's not as if he has managed his runs after great starts. He comes in early most of the time anyway..

Then we can give Taylor another go
Why would you move Ballance?! 

Just leave him where he is doing bloody brilliant!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:55 am

Yeah I suppose.

It's a tough call for that opener spot. At least cook has the confidence back though. It takes a lot of pressure off the selectors and no.2 who ever it is

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next