The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porter vs. Brook: The weigh in!

+10
Strongback
John Bloody Wayne
catchweight
jimdig
AlexHuckerby
Dipper Brown
DuransHorse
ONETWOFOREVER
wheelchair1991
All Time Great
14 posters

Go down

Porter vs. Brook: The weigh in! Empty Porter vs. Brook: The weigh in!

Post by All Time Great Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:28 pm

Really looking forward to this. Kell looks incredibly focused, whereas Showtime looks quite relaxed. Both look in great shape!

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Porter vs. Brook: The weigh in! Empty Re: Porter vs. Brook: The weigh in!

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:58 pm

Thought brook looked great

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 15 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm

Can Brook pull it off tho.

Looking at the head to head Brook has all the advantages accept reach which Porter beats him by half an inch.

The thing is Porter is very focused. His father trains him and they have strong religious faith. Porter always looks like he is on a mission in his fights.

I hope Brook will not go out gung ho and try to ko Porter in the 1st. IMO Brook should stick to boxing but does he risk it against the champion in his back yard.

One of the best match ups in the last couple of years I really can'y pick a winner.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 15 Aug 2014, 10:49 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I have a feeling it will be good entertainment but I wouldn't be comfortable putting a bet on. I really can't decide who wins as Brook still has to show he can step up to the next level tomorrow night and deliver on that potential we've all been on about for donkeys years. Also, fair play to Porter as he's gotten people's attention after his last few fights and looks like he deserves to be the favourite based on that evidence. Fingers crossed it's brook that has his hands raised though.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:00 pm

I don't know if it's the football season starting again and my general excitement, but I've gone from thinking 'be good if Brook wins' to WAR BROOK and all that noise!! Hope he does the business. Go on Kell!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdyY8nlZhE

Porter looked very dry and went fully naked to make weight, possibility he's struggling?

Both look in tremendous shape, Kell looks and sounds so determined it's unreal, seriously cannot wait...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:12 pm

If brook can keep his head (literally and figuratively) for the first couple of rounds he could have a real chance.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:14 pm

Watched Brook on Ringside and he was talking about how nervous he was before certain fights like against Hatton as it was in front of 10,000 people and although he performed well it does make me worried about how nervous he said he was. Porter doesn't seem to struggle with nerves.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:24 pm

Porter certainly not the nervous type. He'll come out like a bull. The most likely outcome on current form is the KO win for porter. But kell is a better boxer, big at the weight, and has power. Surely he's sparred multiple rounds of middleweights charging him? We all no porters gameplan, it should be easy enough to simulate, no excuse with kells 13 week training camp not to be prepared.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:57 pm

jimdig wrote:Porter certainly not the nervous type. He'll come out like a bull. The most likely outcome on current form is the KO win for porter. But kell is a better boxer, big at the weight, and has power. Surely he's sparred multiple rounds of middleweights charging him? We all no porters gameplan, it should be easy enough to simulate, no excuse with kells 13 week training camp not to be prepared.

but can he handle getting roughed up by a bulldog like Porter?

What I don't want to see is Brook sticking to his boxing and the fight awarded to Porter on being more aggressive.

Carson Jones when he got inside Brook seemed to really trouble him

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 16 Aug 2014, 12:10 am

Porter to win on points at 11/4?

looks decent value

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 16 Aug 2014, 2:38 am

BUT WHAT IF HIS HEAD IS MADE OF FLESH?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 16 Aug 2014, 8:51 am

Brook's threats of violence towards Porter are somewhat undermined by the campness of his voice.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:00 am

Its difficult to differentiate between focused and nervous. If it's the latter then the nervous energy he'll burn will make gas. Big stage, so it could happen. I see Porter, jumping all over Kell. Hope Kell manages to slow the pace, because he like things his own way and tempo. If he can't then he's in for a long night. He just needs to believe he can win for 36 minutes, irrespective of whats happening.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:46 am

Any idea what time this actually starts?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:02 am

Strongback wrote:Brook's threats of violence towards Porter are somewhat undermined by the campness of his voice.

When you sound like Keith lemon's camp brother, it's probably best to just leave the trash talk.

Hope brook can do it, like Alex says if was nervous against hatton he'll be nervous tonight! Nerves are good if you can control them, but if you use up nervous energy before the fight, you can be flat when the bell rings and run out of steam late on. Maybe that's been part of his stamina problem in the past? Who knows... He hasn't been the greatest trainer historically either.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:28 am

milkyboy wrote:
Strongback wrote:Brook's threats of violence towards Porter are somewhat undermined by the campness of his voice.

When you sound like Keith lemon's camp brother, it's probably best to just leave the trash talk.

Some accents can be funny like that. The guy who had that really weird Manchester accent on Coronation St that was reminiscent of Ricky Hatton's. Does the Sheffield accent lean towards campness in general?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Aug 2014, 12:40 pm

Strongy probably sounds like Graham Norton. ..but camper!

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 16 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm

Strongback wrote:
milkyboy wrote:

Some accents can be funny like that. The guy who had that really weird Manchester accent on Coronation St that was reminiscent of Ricky Hatton's. Does the Sheffield accent lean towards campness in general?

Not especially strongy. I just think the camp ones who were bullied at school, get sent to the ingle gym to toughen them up... Kel brook, herol graham.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 16 Aug 2014, 3:16 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Strongy probably sounds like Graham Norton. ..but camper!

Presumptions again?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:16 pm

Not sure if I am reading into things but, it was a bit odd the way the Porter camp disposed of the shorts straight away. Either they were confident they were "on the weight" or not confident.

Couple that with the lack of sweat seems to suggest either he doesn't sweat after about 30mins in the californian sun or they wiped him down to save weight or he is dehydrated.

Next one, as this is the IBF, they are only able to put on 10lb before the fight starts.

Am I reading too much into this?

I hope think this will be a great fight and the undercard looks competitive too. Sadly, I have an appalling record staying awake till 4am for the main event.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm

Maybe he doesnt sweat much?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:33 pm

I did ask was I reading too much into it?

But, does seem odd:

a) after 30mins in the near midday sun.
b) he had to take his shorts off before the weigh in.

In particular, the latter.

Anyway, I said I might be reading into it a bit much.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:48 pm

Brook relies on a single step back too often when defending, this wont work against a pressure fighter. Add to this he's upright with next to no head movement, meaning if porter wails away in the general direction of kells head a good percentage will land.. kelks a sucker for the over hand right, especially when thrown on the second phase attack. I feel he's going to have to catch porter while hes rushing in with something big to win. Kells uppercut will be key, if he can time it right.  However, I don't think he's equipped to a handle relentless pressure fighter on the inside. Its going to be a hard night for brook. I hope he pulls it off..

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:15 am

Has Kell ever been knocked down in his career to date? I don't recall him ever touching the canvas.

This is a real step up for him, a victory could really promote him amongst the current 147lb stars. Massive fight.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down