The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight Night Thread - Stub Hub - SPOILERS

+38
Sugar Boy Sweetie
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
Marky
All Time Great
Gerry SA
Valero's Conscience
monzon
compelling and rich
hogey
tunes666
Rowley
Derbymanc
Pound-for-Pound
DuransHorse
Dipper Brown
TopHat24/7
3fingers
Yojimbonufc
spencerclarke
trottb
John Bloody Wayne
Inventing Johnson Klute
Incrediblexman
BoomBoomBaby
Duty281
Strongback
owen10ozzy
Hammersmith harrier
aja424
Brys
catchweight
milkyboy
kingraf
Happytravelling
bellchees
Bellz84
mobilemaster8
42 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fight Night Thread - Stub Hub - SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Fight Night Thread - Stub Hub - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 2:51 am

First topic message reminder :

Evening/Morning Gents.

Just watching the Lightweight Title Clash between Figueroa and Estrada and what a scrap it is.....KNOCKDOWN!!!

And Figueroa wins with flurry of shots.

Great fight.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Fight Night Thread - Stub Hub - SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: Fight Night Thread - Stub Hub - SPOILERS

Post by milkyboy Sun 17 Aug 2014, 6:22 am

Just thinking the same thing catchy. Maybe I was subliminally effected by Jim. I don't listen to Nick. 3-4 rounds to brook seems the norm elsewhere. Farhood had brook well ahead at half way, and he gave porter the third which I thought was Brooks best round of the first 6!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Fight Night Thread - Stub Hub - SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: Fight Night Thread - Stub Hub - SPOILERS

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Aug 2014, 6:38 am

I think it was a scrappy enough fight that it could have been interpreted for either fighter depending on who you favour. Id struggle personally to give it to Brook by more than 3 but at the same time Watt was calling the action ass backwards most of the time with his determination to emphasise Porters non existent strength advantage. Punch stats have them landing near enough the same amount for whatever that's worth. Brook more accurate, Porter busier. Certainly not interested in a rematch though.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Aug 2014, 6:42 am

Sky need to get rid of Watt and Halling though. They just cant interpret a fight. I think the last Burns fight might have been the first time I have seen a commentator simultaneously think a fighter lost but scored the fight to them.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 17 Aug 2014, 7:03 am

I fell asleep before the main event and had to watch a replay online with some foreign commentary.

I don't know if I was impressed with Brook or disappointed with Porter, probably both, but didn't see an issue with the scoring. If you pick clean work over aggression in round 2 and it carries on that way throughout then you've pretty much picked your side, and that's the way you'll continue to go. I wanted Porter to be effective to prove me right, but he was defining ineffective aggression, although I think the ref should have got on Brook's case about holding a bit more.

Overall Brook was the one nullifying up close and landing clean from afar, deserving winner, Porter would be mad to take a rematch away from home though!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sun 17 Aug 2014, 7:35 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:BREAKING NEWS: EDDIE HEARN PAYS OFF JUDGES.

This fxuking sport is getting a bit beyond a joke now.

117-111?! 116-112?! I agree with the first 114-114 but fkcu me.

Sets up a super fight with Khan though so that should be good. Or JMM??

I'd love him to come to the UK because he is my fav fighter.

Another case of the judges not seeing it exactly the same as you so it is a fix.....

I've not watched the fight, but from everything I've read it is very much a "how you score it fight". Those who favour aggression gave it to Porter and those who favour cleaner work gave it to Brook.

Congratulations to Brook on the win and for finally proving that he should be operating at the top tier.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:12 am

Time for eddie to push the boat out. There are some excellent fighters on their way down if he can get kell a fight with one of them then it's a no lose situation. If kell is as good as the hype and the opposition is declining he can get a big name on his record. If he isn't quite as good he will lose no face in getting beat, get further recognition world wide and get a career high pay day. Win win for kell. Chuffed for him too after all the abuse he has got on these boards in the last couple of years.

just stay clear of thurman for a while, looking like a beast at the mo.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Yojimbonufc Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:16 am

Happy with the scores.

Brook won comfortably, whilst Porter was horrible to watch and ineffective.

Yojimbonufc

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:41 am

Have brook 1 up after 2, first tied. Impressed by brooks strength in the clinch, he's planting his legs and using his core which makes it a bit easier on the arms. Porter smothering his own work.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:41 am

PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Can not WAIT to here from Strongy laughing

Recorded this so looking forward to watching it later.

Re Khan, Brook deserves a little glory time and Khan should prove himseld at the weight first.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:49 am

Definitely a case of what you like. Wasn't impressed with Porter's aggression to be honest, struggled to see more than a handful of significant punches for him. Brook didn't seem to have an answer on the inside but all the clean counters were from Book, better more eye catching work.

I prefer that and gave it to him by a few rounds. Brilliant win! I'd love to see Khan Brook next.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:52 am

'He's earned the right to fight Khan' - Amir Khan. Ha ha, I kind of see what he's saying but come on mate. Think can gets a UD for the record.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:59 am

Really difficult fight to score, Porter forcing the pace but landing next to nothing clean. I find it difficult to give porter any rounds for his mindless offense. Have to give brook credit for neutralisung Porter. I have brook 1 up after 4...I think.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:09 am

The problem with scoring fights these days is we take into account external factors whilst watching what's actually happening, at least I do. Where the fight is taking place means I give close/even rounds and benefit of doubt to the home guy. If a fighter looks considerably busier but not really doing anything with the work I still give it merit as I think the judges will. In reality workrate should only come in if there's nothing else to score on, I don't get more credit at work for being busier but ineffective next to my colleagues so why should a fighter?

I think although Kell didn't completely outbox Porter, with a neutral and level head on he was the better boxer on the night but what is amazing is that the away judges actually spotted it.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:10 am

5 and 6 are porters best rounds thus far. I'll scrore the 6th to porter to avoid controversy, some if a flailings landed. Really impressed how Brook is keeping the centre of the ring against an aggressor. I like how he shuffles Porter backward and circles only when required, some brilliant counters by Kell, excellent efficiency, composure and ring generalship. Brook 1 Up after 6.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:12 am

Some great points there duran. I especially like the fact you give the judges credit... not something you hear often.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:25 am

I'll not sit on the fence a score seventh porter - great first part if the round for porter but a great ending for Kell.

Noticed that when brook throws the lead right, at times, he telegraphs it, at other times he throws it out of range and overstretches. Porter hasn't exploited it but a cleverer fighter will slip outside counter with a lead left hook.

even after 7

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:25 am

Despite how much I would like to see Brook vs Khan, when Amir says things like "Brook has earned his shot" a large part of me hopes it doesn't happen and Khan gets left out in the cold.

I like Khan as a fighter, but what has he done recently? In all honesty, I think Khan still hasn't earned a shot at another world title.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:29 am

If you were watching it on sky the commentators didn't help either and if you weren't focused on it (ie having a dump or something Wink then you might have thought Brook was lucky to still be in there.

It did make me chuckle when (Halling I think) went '117-111 that's ridiculous' or some such and then had to try and twist it as a fair card for Brook.

Thought either man could have nicked it to be honest but reading the comments on here can see why some have it as many as 4 rnds to Brook (ie Porter just flailing,)

Looking forward to Khan/Brook next, but think we can forgive Brook if he takes a simpler fight first. (didn't I hear he'd been mandatory for over a year??)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:32 am

I have a feeling we could see Brook vs Bundu as a first defence. Bundu has developed a decent reputation over here now and could give Brook problems.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:35 am

Difficult to seperate the 8th, brook clear round 9 for me. Really impressed with brooks strength, hes solid as a rock. I would have deducted a point from porter by now, for use of the head. Loving how brook is defending himself at all times, especially on the break after porter has turned - this may be brooks first world title fight but he is a true veteran.

Brook 1 up after 9

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:45 am

Im really impressed with brook, I feel silly for questioning his nerve. Hes had a quiet confidence all night.

Porter starting to tire though in that round he actually countered brooks lead right with a left hook.

Not much of what Porter throws lands, f id watched this on the night via a blurred stream I might have Porter winning.
I might also have got abit carried away and scored in favour of his aggression the way I did in the maidana mayweather fight. Scoring this with a level head thus morning though (it helps I know the result too)

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:48 am

Im scoring more even rounds than I probably should...have brook 1 up after 10.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:52 am

If id scored the 11th by the end of round highlights I'd have given it to Porter. Brook won it though. Brook 2 up with one to go.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

I had Brook winning by a point but that does not tell the full story...

A one point margin does not say how much of a better, more complete, fighter Brook is over Porter.

I shouldnt have doubted brookes nerve and stamina.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:02 am

Personally thought most of what Porter threw at body landed, thought he landed body blows (arm punches) in the clinches.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:06 am

No problem whatsoever with the result for me. As I have said countless times on here just constantly bulling forward should not be awarded points. Aggression has to be effective if it is to score points and Porter did little of anything once he got close. Brook landed the cleaner and more effective shots. Six points is perhaps a little generous in such a scrappy fight, but Brook was a deserved winner.

Brook vs Khan at Bramall Lane please.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:15 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Can not WAIT to here from Strongy laughing

Suspect his much loved comment about Eddie only sending his fighters abroad to get beat up will not be getting a run out today!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:18 am

I think that sums it up nicely rowley

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:19 am

I was referring to your first comment

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:19 am

I think that sums it up nicely rowley

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:20 am

Brook is one tuned athlete, think he's put the issues of his stamina well and truly behind him, watched it slightly drunk and had him a comfortable winner, going to rewatch it now to see if I see differently.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:25 am

When i watch fight after a few tiples i tend to favour the agressor for some reason. I dont think youll score it much differently hammer. If you liked what you saw last night I think you'll probably like it more this morning.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:31 am

Well done Brook, finally shut those haters up with a great performance against a very tricky fighter in his own country, and are now a deserved world Champ!

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:32 am

At the end of the fourth, Porter is so wild and erratic, Brook is landing a massive amount but what he is landing is bang on the chin. I think the Malignaggi fight flattered Porter massively, doesn't seem to have much power on his punches at all, seems intent on trying to end it with every shot.

Round 1- 10-9 Porter
Round 2-4 10-9 Brook
Round 5- Porter

I actually think you could make a case for Brook in every round other than the first, Porter is either really poor or Brook is making him look like a rank amateur.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:50 am

I had Brook a 3 round winner, Porter threw lots but landed very little, Brook landed the cleaner and harder shots which buzzed Porter more than once.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:53 am

Rowley wrote:No problem whatsoever with the result for me. As I have said countless times on here just constantly bulling forward should not be awarded points. Aggression has to be effective if it is to score points and Porter did little of anything once he got close. Brook landed the cleaner and more effective shots. Six points is perhaps a little generous in such a scrappy fight, but Brook was a deserved winner.

Brook vs Khan at Bramall Lane please.

dont like football grounds for boxing, its rubbish. its a shame the m.e.n isn't slightly bigger as a venue its great for watching boxing. unless your on the very back row

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:55 am

Watched it all again, not close at all, anybody who thinks Porter could have nicked that needs their head examined, Brook 116-112, made Porter look bloody average for the most part and I suspect he is.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:57 am

I'd be happy with the O2. Great venue. I'd imagine they would want to shift a few more tickets and put it on in a stadium though, unless the fight is PPV *shudder*

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:59 am

Brook won the fight by at least two rounds.

Porter's dreadful to watch.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

02 is smaller than the m.e.n and makes no sense that two fighters with largely a northern fan base go to london to watch the fight, but im biased because i want it on my doorstep

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:02 am

Thr fight looks much wider when you switch off Hall amd Watt, who spent most of the fight ignoring Brooks clean work while hyping up Porter ineffective octopus attack.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:08 am

Agree Hogey, watched a foreign upload of the fight so turned the noise off, Porter only really landed cleanly in the 11th round and even then Brook finished the round better.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:09 am

I fell asleep early and forgot to set my alarm!

Doesn't sound like a great fight so won't bother watching but glad he won so we can get some bigger fights in the UK.

Judging from the people on here who's opinion I respect it sounds like there were some awkward rounds to score but Brook deserved the decision.

It's funny because Eastside Boxing and BoxingNews24 saw a controversy and gave Brook between 1-2 rounds! In saying that their journalists appear incredibly bias.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:10 am

compelling and rich wrote:02 is smaller than the m.e.n and makes no sense that two fighters with largely a northern fan base go to london to watch the fight, but im biased because i want it on my doorstep

It'd be a nice day out for Northerners, and they'd get to complain about the price of beer in London. Yorkshire men would be in their element.

I too am biased, location wise. I think the O2 is a great arena for boxing though.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:14 am

The fight has to be in Manchester. Despite the history of York Hall and the O2 being a decent venue in itself, Manchester is the capital of English boxing, and the M.E.N Arena, using its proper name, is the best venue in the country. Honestly don't think it'd sell out Wembley or Old Trafford, but get it at the M.E.N and the atmosphere would be electric, and in my opinion, despite Khan being more local, quite pro-Brook.

Brook would win that one relatively easily, in my opinion, and i don't necessarily think it's the common sense fight for him at this point, but if both fighters want it then it has to be in Manchester and at that venue.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:35 am

Anthony Dirrell won the WBC super middleweight title last night, if George Groves wins his next fight - he becomes Dirrell's mandatory. 

Who you guys to picking to win Dirrell vs Groves?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:42 am

Good shout Gerry. Direll gets caught a bit but he seems to be very sharp and hit with good power....stumbled Bika a few times and dropped him in December so does carry pop.

Groves does as well but he is quicker and more of a thinker IMO.

I'd probably pick a SD either way or a knockout but couldn't split them really a t this stage. Was thinking the same thing last night.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:42 am

The M.E.N sounds like a great name till you realize it was just the name of the first sponsor :-D

Does anyone know if Luke Campbell and Callum Smith looked any good? I didn't get up till the start of the Bika fight so don't even know if they were shown.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:46 am

Brook and Khan will be a stadium fight either Wembley or Emirates, a big fight like that should be in the capital.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:51 am

Derbymanc wrote:The M.E.N sounds like a great name till you realize it was just the name of the first sponsor :-D

It was the Nynex Arena for several years beforehand actually, but it's generally known as the M.E.N due to the length of that sponsorship.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next