The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 6!

+17
The Special Juan
lags72
Born Slippy
summerblues
lydian
bogbrush
Henman Bill
invisiblecoolers
biugo
DirectView2
HM Murdock
Jahu
sirfredperry
JuliusHMarx
kingraf
Danny_1982
Silver
21 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

US Open Day 6! - Page 3 Empty US Open Day 6!

Post by The Special Juan Sun 24 Aug - 13:09

First topic message reminder :

Ah the US Open, the tennis major where tennis is the side attraction.  The crowd appear to be there for a natter whilst the tennis is on in the background, making for a rather unique atmosphere during the evening matches.  In the past we've had fights, we've had frights and when the matches are played at night, they're played under the lights.

The Day 2 schedule is as follows:

Arthur Ashe Stadium (day)

Pennetta v Gibbs (really?)
Djokovic v Querrey
Williams v Lepchenko

Night

BZS v Bouchard
Kyrgios v Robredo

Louis Armstrong

Kvitova v Krunic
Murray v Kuznetsov
Kohlschreiber v Isner
Wawrinka v Kavcic

Grandstand

Estrella v Raonic
Vesnina v Azarenka
Tsonga v Carreno-Busta
doubles

Other matches of note:

Last edited by The Special Juan on Fri 29 Aug - 23:14; edited 2 times in total
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 6! - Page 3 Empty Re: US Open Day 6!

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 11:35

And I'm fully expecting Federer to massacre Granollers. Maybe not to the extent Djokovic did last year, but it will be one sided. He's not really got any challenges until the final either.

Granollers? Ha!
Mannarino or Bautista-Agut? Snore.
Dimitrov? Poor man's Federer and the only threat there (plus he's not guaranteed to make it).
Ferrer? Yeah, because their H2H is so evenly matched....
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 30 Aug - 11:43

Is Federer not in the same half as Berdych ...?
And if so, are people simply dismissing Berdy as a serious threat ....??

He needed five sets to battle through against Klizan, but we know that Klizan can be more than a tricky customer. Berdy hit well over 50 winners (most of them no doubt heavyweight !) and a close five-setter so often toughens you up for the business end.

But if Fed can stay (reasonably) focused and make the Final ..... then who knows .... ??  chin He came close to going up a break in the Wimbledon decider, and just getting that far is unprecedented in modern times at his age. No grass here of course, but over the years he's hardly been a slouch at these courts.

Last year he looked untroubled early on, but was promptly derailed by Robredo against all the odds.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 11:55

lags72 wrote:Is Federer not in the same half as Berdych ...?
And if so, are people simply dismissing Berdy as a serious threat ....??

He needed five sets to battle through against Klizan, but we know that Klizan can be more than a tricky customer. Berdy hit well over 50 winners (most of them no doubt heavyweight !) and a close five-setter so often toughens you up for the business end.

He'll probably have to play Ferrer on the way there - Ferrer leads the H2H and is carrying some form.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Aug - 11:56

lydian wrote:Hard to get excited with Fed's cakewalk so far...I mean was Groth ever going to be anything other than cannon fodder? Even his serve isn't that great. It wasn't a great performance by Fed either and Groth was unlucky to not go 5-2 up in the 3rd set, having 2 game pts to do so. I fear when Rodge runs into anything near decent competition he may be found wanting...plus he's able to conserve energy with consistent night matches whilst others toil in the daytime heat/humidity. Are USO trying their best to get him to the semis/final?

Yeah it's a real advantage playing all the earlier rounds at night when the semi's and final are played in the day when the conditions and pace of the court is very different. Worked a treat for him in Toronto Rolling Eyes

They also forgot to put him on day 1 - they're clearly not trying hard enough.

Or maybe they're just putting the biggest draw on at night - which is what they've always done.

I'm sure Fed would prefer a few day matches to prepare for the business end of the tournament.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 14:06

Tomas a threat by beating Klizan in 5? I don't doubt a year ago he would be a huge threat we have 2 considerably different guys nowadays warning

Federer's back stays healthy is enough to dismiss anyone apart from Novak. Sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 30 Aug - 14:29

The Special Juan wrote:Sorry, sorry Sorry  Is it worth it though?  If I open a new thread when Federer's not playing it would get something like 20 comments (if that).

I stayed away because very few posters tolerate WTA comments on a slam thread. Perhaps a new one for each day after Sunday onwards may be another option.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 30 Aug - 14:40

lydian wrote:Hard to get excited with Fed's cakewalk so far...I mean was Groth ever going to be anything other than cannon fodder? Even his serve isn't that great. It wasn't a great performance by Fed either and Groth was unlucky to not go 5-2 up in the 3rd set, having 2 game pts to do so. I fear when Rodge runs into anything near decent competition he may be found wanting...plus he's able to conserve energy with consistent night matches whilst others toil in the daytime heat/humidity. Are USO trying their best to get him to the semis/final?

Groth can hit a 140+ first and 110+ second, but should try and be accurate even if it means sacrificing speed. Too many doubles matches for him to be able to get away with it. Volleying is not a strength either. Federer made his own luck by forcing him below the net. A couple of lobs were superb, that too over a 6'5" player on the net.

R2/100+ ranking is about right.

For Federer, Mannarino took out Fognini so he is playing all right, and the ranking is probably irrelevant but form is not. It is definitely easier set of matches compared to Query, Isner/Kohli, Murray/Tsonga.

Wish SoCal with his conspiracy theories/draw fixing was here. We could have had a lively debate.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 14:48

Who played Youzhny and Melzer in the semi's of slams?? Headscratch Cakewalk and jaywalking OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 15:37

laverfan wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Sorry, sorry Sorry  Is it worth it though?  If I open a new thread when Federer's not playing it would get something like 20 comments (if that).

I stayed away because very few posters tolerate WTA comments on a slam thread. Perhaps a new one for each day after Sunday onwards may be another option.

It takes two to tango, you and I can discuss the WTA then!! I don't like WTA bashing. Admittedly, sometimes it is deserved, but that final set TB between Errani & Venus was as dramatic as any men's match and the quality of play was fairly high too.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 30 Aug - 16:46

Talking of which .......

I didn't see the match. But quite apart from that final set drama you mention, I would imagine the whole match was quite something ....?!!

Venus gets dished a bagel in the opener ; then returns the compliment, after which all the smart money would have been on Venus completing the turnaround by safely seeing it out in the decider.....surely ..... Shocked

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 30 Aug - 16:50

Henman Bill wrote:Granollers in R3, Bautista Agut/Mannarino in R4, this a dream ticket,

Dimitrov/Monfils/Gasquet/Goffin in QF might be an interesting match, but can't see them taking out Federer.

I think it's the easiest route to a slam final (for anyone) I've seen in many, many years...especially if Berdych doesn't make it. His form is trash, but the 5-setter could've given him an opportunity to play himself in. If he massacres his next opponent, Fed should start getting worried.

lydian wrote:I fear when Rodge runs into anything near decent competition he may be found wanting...plus he's able to conserve energy with consistent night matches whilst others toil in the daytime heat/humidity. Are USO trying their best to get him to the semis/final?

At Toronto and Cinci he played night matches all the way to both finals, then played both finals in the day; this was described as a disadvantage due to differing conditions and the schedulers were criticised. He's also the biggest draw by some margin, so he gets the primetime slot. Basic economics, I guess...we'll see whether it works in his favour or against.

What the hell are the Yanks doing putting Gibbs-Pennetta on Ashe? Deary me.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 16:54

I didn't see most of the match but I was diving in and out. Venus was dreadful in the 1st according to Nick Bollettieri but I have no idea what happened in the 2nd set. In the 3rd they were both playing at a high level, although you cant help but feel the Venus of 10 years ago would have tonked Errani.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 16:55

Kvitova's lost the first set...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 16:59

Emanc, calm down, he had a cakewalk in Toronto too - they lined up 3 whipping boys for him...Cilic, Ferrer and Lopez...guys he's got a 32-0 H2H against. Maybe players over 33 get to pick their own draw? Lol. Anyway, night matches seemed to suit him fine. His draw at USO is gilt edged too, his run to the quarters is Matosevic/Groth/Granollers(!)/likely Bautista Agut...utter cakewalk. Then probably faces Dimitrov who tends to self implode in QF/SFs. His SF opponent wouldn't be tough either looking at the  top half of his draw. Federer must be pinching himself.

Groth isn't a great player no matter how much he's bigged up on here. He's got no tennis brain, blasts everything and serves with little thought/variation too. No wonder he ploughs his trade on the Challenger circuit.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:14

I like Krunic, got a great tennis brain on her, and amazingly quick for 5'5 too.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 17:15

I was just thinking that she has a very nice slice.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:16

Yep, and can serve up in the mid 110s too...what's not to like?
Makes Kvitova look like a lumbering wardrobe.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 30 Aug - 17:18

She's a smart player, more interested in putting the ball where Kvitova doesn't want it than playing a coached drill shot. I like her.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:19

Love the way she's semi-moon balling Kvitova to take all pace off the ball. Then hitting hard the next shot. Smart play.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 17:19

A successful lumbering wardrobe though Smile (Robson's got to aim for her, there's no reason she can't emulate Kvitova)

I like the way Krunic is drawing Kvitova into the net and making her volley. And that passing shot in the previous game.... Wow. I do not know where this girl has come from but she's good! Serbia have found another.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 30 Aug - 17:23

On Feds Toronto / Cincy experience, I think he got a rough deal playing his semis late, and in Cincy the night before the finals

Everyone's draw to the third round is usually automatically pretty easy, but up to the quarters he has got a great draw. His quarter isn't easy unless we believe anyone at all other than the top few are useless, and Berdy is no joke.

Last edited by bogbrush on Sat 30 Aug - 17:24; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:23

She's taking the legs out of Kvitova here too...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 17:25

Wow that blocked return was almost Federer-like!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:27

TSJ, but players like Kvitova are only being successful because their are no new major Henin-like talents coming through. I don't think Krunic is the next Henin but she shows what a great mover and thinker can do to the big power players. Tennis brain usually wins over tennis brawn. I just wonder if Krunic will get tight if the finishing line draws near.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:28

Wow, how did she reach that last shot...?
Not a fan of all this Kvitova screaming...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 30 Aug - 17:30

I can't believe Kvitova is doing herself any favours behaving like this. Got to take something out of her if it goes very long.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 30 Aug - 17:35

Still think Krunic will win this.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 17:36

lydian wrote:TSJ, but players like Kvitova are only being successful because their are no new major Henin-like talents coming through. I don't think Krunic is the next Henin but she shows what a great mover and thinker can do to the big power players. Tennis brain usually wins over tennis brawn. I just wonder if Krunic will get tight if the finishing line draws near.

I don't think Robbo's got the ability to play smart tennis so being the next Kvitova is about all she can do. Watson on the other hand should be looking to emulate that seeing as she'll ever have the firepower.

Speaking of tight....... That's a shame.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 17:38

Another elastic Serb!! What a match!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:40

Agree BB...hopefully it won't got to a 3rd.
Massive test for Krunic now...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 30 Aug - 17:43

The Special Juan wrote:Another elastic Serb!!  What a match!
She's really a Russian, just lives there.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 17:44

What. A. Match. Point
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:45

Wow...what a way to win. 
"Balls" of steel!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 17:45

bogbrush wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Another elastic Serb!!  What a match!
She's really a Russian, just lives there.

Really? It wasn't that long ago they'd be "defecting" the other way.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 30 Aug - 17:48

Thoroughly enjoyed that match, more than I've done with a women's match for a long time. Krunic was ranked #145, hadn't beaten a player ranked above #90 before...no-one gave her a chance, including Kvitova you feel too, amazing Smile
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 18:00

I'm expecting a tough tussle in the Murray match today. Andy's greatest enemy will be himself so if he can control his inner demons he should take this. Kuznetsov beat Ferrer at Wimbledon in 5 this year so he's capable of the upset. Can he do it against a player on a surface which suits him as opposed to Ferrer and grass? I don't think so Tim.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 18:05

Nishikori not really injured tody? Shocker boxing

Milos is really, badly, epically, boring to watch!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 18:09

Andrey Kuz has beaten 1 more top 10 opponent than Murray has this year folks. Defining factor?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 18:24

Djokovic normally bagels Querrey at least once in his matches. It could happen again today too.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 18:26

In fact he's bagelled him in 4/8 matches they've played.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 18:32

Murray: 2/2 BPs won
Kuznetsov: 0/3 BPs won.

That stat tells the exact story of the match.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 18:35

Classic Novak - broken when serving for the set.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 18:37

Kuz is a slow starter, needs to stop hitting the net!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 18:38

Murrays just playing safe and countering, it's all he has to do tbh.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 18:42

Andy won 11/11 times at the net. I saw him come in half that amount!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 18:47

Develop your serve Andy, that would give you a much easier run the QF/SF OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 30 Aug - 18:47

The more i tune into Raonic, the more disappointed I am. He scrapes through matches so often and is never very convincing. Take away that serve, not much there for me.
When he burst onto the scene at aus '11 i was impressed.
This year i can only think of that performance vs novak at rome.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 18:49

Djokovic already a break up in the 2nd. Querrey is the worst "big server" on tour apparently!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 30 Aug - 18:50

Querrey a double break down. That's just..... picard
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 30 Aug - 18:50

He's won 85% on Andrey's 2nd serve, I am impressed. No brain farts and an easy win.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next