The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 7

+10
banbrotam
carrieg4
HM Murdock
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
Dave.
time please
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
The Special Juan
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US Open Day 7 Empty US Open Day 7

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:11 am

Matches of note:

Benneteau v Djokovic
Ferrer v Hewitt
Wawrinka v Dolgopolov

Robson v Stosur
Azarenka v Tatishvili
Bartoli v Kvitova

Colin Fleming / Ross Hutchins v Christian Harrison / Ryan Harrison

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=subnav

Aside from Robson v Stosur there's nothing that really sets the world alight today. Wawrinka v Dolgy might be good, I'm tipping Stan the Man to win.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 7 Empty Re: US Open Day 7

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:20 am

Well Bennetteau V Djokovic could get interesting if Bennetteau plays very well and Djoko has any dips. He has shown he can test the big boys in the past (Federer and Nadal at Wimbledon). Personally, think Djoko looks more like his old self but it is hard to tell as he hasn't been tested yet.

Robson V Stosur should be a cracker and if Robson can reproduce her form of the tournament so far then who knows?

Ferrer V Hewitt has the makings of a marathon and Warinka V Dolgopolov is on a knife edge but will go for Stan's experience and guile to pull him through.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

I hear that after today the weather is going to go the way of a British Summer Wink

Cue the soggy courts of last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 3:48 pm

I am leaning towards Dolgo to win. He played very well against Baggy. Stan had a tougher time against Darcis, comparatively.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Sep 2012, 4:23 pm

I can't see Robson beating Stosur ... but if she does she becomes British No 1 and someone to share the limelight with Murray. What a great mixed doubles pairing they could become sweeping up the grand slam titles if they so wished.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:43 pm

It's hard to tell with Stosur - she hasn't been in the greatest form this year.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:52 pm

Thankfully for Robson (or not) Stosur isn't the most tactical on the court. She just smacks the ball about. If Laura can out-think her she has a chance. I think Robson can win this match, but I don't she will. However, she's beaten 2 players that were expected to beat her so who knows?

As Stosur is my 2nd favourite non-British female tennis player (massive award that is) I'll have mixed loyalties but, at the end of the day (literally), I'd rather see Robson win it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

David Ferrer now well on top and leads Hewitt by two sets to one and already a break up in the fourth set after approaching three hours play.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

Must add Novak going along very soundly. Not sure how good he has been until he is really faced with a challenge though.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:04 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Thankfully for Robson (or not) Stosur isn't the most tactical on the court. She just smacks the ball about. If Laura can out-think her she has a chance. I think Robson can win this match, but I don't she will. However, she's beaten 2 players that were expected to beat her so who knows?

As Stosur is my 2nd favourite non-British female tennis player (massive award that is) I'll have mixed loyalties but, at the end of the day (literally), I'd rather see Robson win it.

Who is number 1?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

I like Stosur, despite the comments others have regarding her biceps. She doesn't moan or groan on court and always seems to try her best, although perhaps she could be more attack minded at times. However I don't think she is likely to reach the semi-finals, and I can't see past Williams as a winner (with Azarenka and Radwanska challenging). Hence I would be happy to see Robson perform another giant-killing, but I think mentally performing at this level for so long might be beyond her. If she can play freely and without worrying about winning (she's the underdog) then she has a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:25 pm

Ferrer bagels Hewitt in the fourth set to win.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

Dave wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Thankfully for Robson (or not) Stosur isn't the most tactical on the court. She just smacks the ball about. If Laura can out-think her she has a chance. I think Robson can win this match, but I don't she will. However, she's beaten 2 players that were expected to beat her so who knows?

Who is number 1?

Serena. I love the way she plays the game. She's a great server, great returner and great hitter. She doesn't grunt too often anymore and firmly puts Sharapova and Azarenka in their places. She may well be the best female tennis player I ever see.

In a way, Robson reminds me a little of Serena. Great 1st serve, hits the ball hard and isn't too shabby at returning, although I can see Robson being more like Kvitova.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

Dave wrote:Who is number 1?

You are Number 6.

I am not a number. I am a free man!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Dave wrote:Who is number 1?

You are Number 6.

I am not a number. I am a free man!

The Prisoner?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:34 pm

All of the Big 3 may end up playing 1 big server before the final.

Murray will play Raonic and perhaps Cilic.
Federer may end up playing Berdych (who is sneaking through and looks to be in form).
Djokovic may end up playing Del Potro.

Those match ups will be very interesting if conditions are fast.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:41 pm

I might be able to get some tennis viewing in at last after sitting through The Grey Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:06 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Must add Novak going along very soundly. Not sure how good he has been until he is really faced with a challenge though.

Yes Craig, I think Benny is a good 3rd round opponent and he cut him up real nicely, benny did trouble fed at wimby and does have some weapons in his serve, volleys, and backhand. But as you say now the level gets stepped up, Wawrinka in particular with his big serve and big groundies can trouble Novak in the 4th round if he serves big, and either Del PO or Roddick should be a tense and difficult quarterfinal. So despite a favorable draw for Novak now the real tests begin and there are some players in his section that can give him problems especially if they are dialed in on serve.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

socal1976 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Must add Novak going along very soundly. Not sure how good he has been until he is really faced with a challenge though.

Yes Craig, I think Benny is a good 3rd round opponent and he cut him up real nicely, benny did trouble fed at wimby and does have some weapons in his serve, volleys, and backhand. But as you say now the level gets stepped up, Wawrinka in particular with his big serve and big groundies can trouble Novak in the 4th round if he serves big, and either Del PO or Roddick should be a tense and difficult quarterfinal. So despite a favorable draw for Novak now the real tests begin and there are some players in his section that can give him problems especially if they are dialed in on serve.

Well he should be as fresh as a daisy for those tougher matches as all three of his matches have been short. I'd say his first big challenge will come from Del Potro in the quarters but would expect Novak of last year and early this year to prevail. If he brings his mid-year form from this year he could have problems.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:20 pm

Del Po really loves this surface and his big serve and flatter shots are helped a great deal by the speedier court. I think Novak is playing quite a bit better this year on hardcourt than he has on grass and clay so it should be a titanic match up. It is the exact type of hardcourt that Del PO likes and Novak plays exceptional on it is well.

What I do like is that Novak is hitting the neutral ball and the short ball behind his serve much cleaner than he was during the spring. What I like as an initial sign in his game is that he did not even face a break point against benny. He serves like that and Novak will be tough to beat.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

Murray v Raonic may well be the late match on Ashe tomorrow. Does that favour Murray or Raonic?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:41 pm

socal1976 wrote:What I do like is that Novak is hitting the neutral ball and the short ball behind his serve much cleaner than he was during the spring. What I like as an initial sign in his game is that he did not even face a break point against benny. He serves like that and Novak will be tough to beat.
I've been out this afternoon so I didn't see any of Novak's game. But if this is correct, I feel good. Novak, like a bad poker player, has two big tells; the quality of the serve and the quality of the shot after the serve. If both of these are good, then you know his mind is OK and he will be tough to beat.

Marvellous news!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:50 pm

Just a thought. In 3 matches (9 sets), Novak has conceded just 13 games. Looking pretty good so far.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
socal1976 wrote:What I do like is that Novak is hitting the neutral ball and the short ball behind his serve much cleaner than he was during the spring. What I like as an initial sign in his game is that he did not even face a break point against benny. He serves like that and Novak will be tough to beat.
I've been out this afternoon so I didn't see any of Novak's game. But if this is correct, I feel good. Novak, like a bad poker player, has two big tells; the quality of the serve and the quality of the shot after the serve. If both of these are good, then you know his mind is OK and he will be tough to beat.

Marvellous news!

Yes Murdoch he hit really clean behind his serve today. Hit some backhand winners that were just draw dropping and the loose service game issue he has been having once a match or once a set has not been rearing its ugly head. We have talked about how in almost every match he has at least one or two service games where he strings together a quick succession of errors on routine or advantageous balls in a row to give his opponent a break. That kind of lack of focus was not apparent against Benny. While of course Novak is going to have the best of it against a benny, Bennetteau is a talented vet with some skill set he came in as a seeded player. And the match was highly routine and very clinical.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Murray v Raonic may well be the late match on Ashe tomorrow. Does that favour Murray or Raonic?

It is now confirmed as the last match on Arthur Ashe tomorrow (2am start UK Time). Theoretically, should favour Murray.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

Just seen that Fognini took the third set against Roddick. Just a blip for Roddick or are we looking at a five setter?

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

Del Potro through in three gruelling sets against Leonardo Mayer and Stan Wawrinka now looking good for a Fourth Round spot as he leads Dolgopolov by two sets to love and is a break up in the third.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Just seen that Fognini took the third set against Roddick. Just a blip for Roddick or are we looking at a five setter?

Just a blip I'd say. He has sealed an early break in the fourth set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:16 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:Just seen that Fognini took the third set against Roddick. Just a blip for Roddick or are we looking at a five setter?

That's good. Never been a huge fan but not ready to see him go yet either.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:17 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes Murdoch he hit really clean behind his serve today. Hit some backhand winners that were just draw dropping and the loose service game issue he has been having once a match or once a set has not been rearing its ugly head. We have talked about how in almost every match he has at least one or two service games where he strings together a quick succession of errors on routine or advantageous balls in a row to give his opponent a break. That kind of lack of focus was not apparent against Benny. While of course Novak is going to have the best of it against a benny, Bennetteau is a talented vet with some skill set he came in as a seeded player. And the match was highly routine and very clinical.
Good to hear. I'm refusing to let myself get too excited (for there lurks disappointment!) but I like the way that things are developing under the radar for Novak.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Murray v Raonic may well be the late match on Ashe tomorrow. Does that favour Murray or Raonic?

It is now confirmed as the last match on Arthur Ashe tomorrow (2am start UK Time). Theoretically, should favour Murray.

Rain due tomorrow too, that'll slow it down a bit once the rain is finished.

Last edited by The Special Juan on Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

That's good. Never been a huge fan but not ready to see him go yet either.

Well Fognini has broken back. The match being played in a very good spirit and some great rallies being played. The worry I'd have is if Roddick will tire. Fognini looking like he is beginning to believe a bit more.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:28 pm

Stan the Man cruising now Cool

The longer to Roddick match goes on, the more I favour Fog. Roddick has a really sore shoulder and needs to wrap it up quickly. Even if he wins in 5 sets, I don't give him much of a hope v Del Potro. I don't give either much of a hope v Del Potro actually.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:32 pm

Roddick breaks again and leads 4-3 in the fourth set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Stan the Man cruising now Cool

The longer to Roddick match goes on, the more I favour Fog. Roddick has a really sore shoulder and needs to wrap it up quickly. Even if he wins in 5 sets, I don't give him much of a hope v Del Potro. I don't give either much of a hope v Del Potro actually.

I'd agree with that. Would fancy Del Potro to just have too much for either Roddick or Fognini.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:41 pm

Andy Roddick wraps up a win in four sets against Fabio Fognini and Stan Wawrinkasees off Dolgopolov with minimum fuss winning in straight sets. Next up on Louis Armstrong court - Sam Stosur V Laura Robson.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:42 pm

Nick Bollettieri is the best commentator ever. I don't know anyone else who says the word "baby" during commentary. The Italian-American accent is excellent too.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

An early break for Robson who leads Stosur 2-1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

An immediate break back from Stosur - 2-2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:29 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yes Murdoch he hit really clean behind his serve today. Hit some backhand winners that were just draw dropping and the loose service game issue he has been having once a match or once a set has not been rearing its ugly head. We have talked about how in almost every match he has at least one or two service games where he strings together a quick succession of errors on routine or advantageous balls in a row to give his opponent a break. That kind of lack of focus was not apparent against Benny. While of course Novak is going to have the best of it against a benny, Bennetteau is a talented vet with some skill set he came in as a seeded player. And the match was highly routine and very clinical.
Good to hear. I'm refusing to let myself get too excited (for there lurks disappointment!) but I like the way that things are developing under the radar for Novak.

Yes I agree he looks a lot better than he did on the grass and the clay so far though throughout the hardcourt season. Had that weird match against fed at cincy but maybe that was the last death throws of whatever that has been ailing his game and mind. You can't have a better first 3 rounds in terms of leaving your legs fresh and playing like you should. But the real tests are going to come in the quarters and beyond.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:30 pm

Slightly surprised to see that Andy's match is the night one when you'd have thought they'd have gone for Fed v Fish

And on Ash

Mind you Raonic, did beat Andy on clay - but for me a slowish hard court, favours Murray

Should be a good match. Now can I record it and avoid the result until 7 at night on Tuesday??!!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Yes I agree he looks a lot better than he did on the grass and the clay so far though throughout the hardcourt season. Had that weird match against fed at cincy but maybe that was the last death throws of whatever that has been ailing his game and mind. You can't have a better first 3 rounds in terms of leaving your legs fresh and playing like you should. But the real tests are going to come in the quarters and beyond.

If anything Nole looks better than last year!! I did predict that he would win the US Open and I think I might be correct for once. But a sudden hard match against the two players who have beaten him recently might give him a problem (assuming they get there)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:33 pm

banbrotam wrote:Slightly surprised to see that Andy's match is the night one when you'd have thought they'd have gone for Fed v Fish

And on Ash

Mind you Raonic, did beat Andy on clay - but for me a slowish hard court, favours Murray

Should be a good match. Now can I record it and avoid the result until 7 at night on Tuesday??!!!
Yes, Murray will be relieved it's not on Armstrong.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:38 pm

bogbrush wrote:
banbrotam wrote:Slightly surprised to see that Andy's match is the night one when you'd have thought they'd have gone for Fed v Fish

And on Ash

Yes, Murray will be relieved it's not on Armstrong.

I'm not that convinced that a fast hard court doesn't favour Murray as well. He always gets the ball back (relative to others) and so it then becomes about the ability to retrieve on a fast surface, which goes against Raonic

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:39 pm

Nice vote of confidence Banbro, the margins are thin at the top as we know. Novak has to feel good about how he has adjusted to the hardcourts from a tough clay and grass season for him he was actually playing really well at the end of the first hardcourt swing having won Miami and the AO. Maybe all he needed was to get back on his favorite surface and have some time to regroup?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

Really can't wait for Raonic and murray, such an interesting difference in styles between the two players. Milos has to play textbook attack tennis and that feeds into what Andy does well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

Really can't wait for Raonic and murray, such an interesting difference in styles between the two players. Milos has to play textbook attack tennis and that feeds into what Andy does well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

Whatever happens with Robson tonight she's done herself proud, and could nearly be a set up herself!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:46 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Whatever happens with Robson tonight she's done herself proud, and could nearly be a set up herself!!

True. But I think she's going out

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm

socal1976 wrote:Nice vote of confidence Banbro, the margins are thin at the top as we know. Novak has to feel good about how he has adjusted to the hardcourts from a tough clay and grass season for him he was actually playing really well at the end of the first hardcourt swing having won Miami and the AO. Maybe all he needed was to get back on his favorite surface and have some time to regroup?

I will say, that it would be interesting to see ho Novak would cope with a confident and match hardened Murray of Fed if he's cruised throught to the finals.

Not certain that a bit of his sheen hans't been lost following his recent defeats to his rivals.

They all seem to take it in turns to have a losing streak to each other - although normally it's Andy!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next