The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quillin vacates WBO title

+4
Adam D
TopHat24/7
kingraf
wheelchair1991
8 posters

Go down

Quillin vacates WBO title Empty Quillin vacates WBO title

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 05 Sep 2014, 7:42 am

After all the fuss caused by the Jay Z backed Rocnation winning the purse bid for the Peter Quillin's mandatory defence of his WBO mIddleweight title defence against Matt Korabov. Despite the bid being a reported $1.9 million Quillin has still vacated. What are your reaction to this plus Billie Joe Saunders is ranked number 2 by the WBO so he might be in line for a shot at Korabov for the vacant title

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Quillin vacates WBO title Empty Re: Quillin vacates WBO title

Post by kingraf Fri 05 Sep 2014, 8:35 am

WELL it's weird that he's been assured a seven figure fight and vacates. Guess money isn't everything.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 05 Sep 2014, 9:40 am

Pathetic joke of a boxer and a disgrace to the 'Kid Chocolate' nickname.

Only good thing about this is at least BJS should get a shot out of it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 05 Sep 2014, 9:42 am

PS: respect to the guy that jumped on wikipedia to edit his entry:

On September 4, 2014, Quillin vacated his WBO 160 pound title by ducking his IBF mandatory challenger Matvey Korobov.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:10 am

Interesting theory
https://www.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/sports/blogs/boxing/peter-quillin-passes-on-career-high--1-4-million--dumps-wbo-middleweight-belt-195021380.html?orig_host_hdr=sports.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.lang=en-US&_device=tablet

" Roc Nation's principal is hip hop star Jay Z.
There is no love lost between Haymon and Jay
Z.
It's most likely that Quillin dropping the title was
a move orchestrated by Haymon to keep Jay Z
out of his business. That, more than ducking any
fighter, is almost certainly what this is about."
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:11 am

Unbeaten Peter Quillin announced on social media Thursday that he was dropping his WBO middleweight title and declining a career-high $1.4 million purse to defend against Matt Korobov.

A planned Quillin-Korobov bout would have been Nov. 1 at the Barclay's Center in Quillin's hometown in the New York borough of Brooklyn. Not only would Quillin have earned a career-high purse, but he'd have been heavily favored to win.

A peek behind the curtain, though, may explain what is going on.

View photo
.Recording artist Jay Z runs Roc Nation Sports. (Getty)
Recording artist Jay Z runs Roc Nation Sports. (Getty)

Quillin's adviser is the powerful Al Haymon, who made his mark in the music industry before getting into boxing. Roc Nation Sports won a purse bid at $1.9 million for the right to promote the Quillin-Korobov fight. Roc Nation's bid was more than the bids of Golden Boy Promotions ($1.207 million) and Top Rank's ($515,000) combined.

Roc Nation's principal is hip hop star Jay Z. There is no love lost between Haymon and Jay Z.

It's most likely that Quillin dropping the title was a move orchestrated by Haymon to keep Jay Z out of his business. That, more than ducking any fighter, is almost certainly what this is about.

On Instagram, Quillin wrote:

I would like to thank the WBO for allowing me to grace the ring and live out my dream of being a world champion. For nearly two years, I have held that title and I will forever hold this period in my career in high regard. Effective today, I will be vacating my championship belt. I have a strong team surrounding me and I trust they have big plans for my future. I appreciate the support my fans have given me and I'm grateful to the WBO for my run as a world champion. I look forward to my future endeavors in the ring. Thank you.

The question is: If Quillin fights WBA champion Danny Jacobs, who is also advised by Haymon, what will it do to his chances of fighting the man regarded as the true middleweight champion, Gennady Golovkin? Golovkin has the super WBA middleweight title.

There isn't going to be many more offers much better than $1.4 million for Quillin to fight anyone else other than Golovkin.

Golovkin fights Marco Antonio Rubio on Oct. 18 in Carson, Calif. He's on a mission to win all of the middleweight belts, so he would have been interested in Quillin because of the WBO strap. He's a far less attractive opponent to Golovkin without a belt.

"Now you can see the difficulty we had getting a unification fight with Quillin," Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler of K2 said. "We reached out to them and could never get an answer. ... But Quillin's value to us was as a champion. Without a belt, there's not a lot of value there for us."

Sam Soliman owns the IBF middleweight belt, which he'll defend Oct. 8 against ex-champion Jermain Taylor. And Miguel Cotto, who announced on Twitter on Thursday that he won't fight again until 2015, has the WBC belt. Rubio has the interim belt – Why is there an interim title when there is a WBC champion in the weight, Mauricio Sulaiman? – and that will be at stake against Golovkin.

So Quillin's move is most definitely curious. This, though, may be the first of many battles between Haymon and Jay Z in the boxing world. Sadly, most of it will involve back-room manuevering and won't be obvious to the public.

Had just read that exact thread before you posted it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:12 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:PS: respect to the guy that jumped on wikipedia to edit his entry:

On September 4, 2014, Quillin vacated his WBO 160 pound title by ducking his IBF mandatory challenger Matvey Korobov.

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Korobov is the mandatory for both WBO and IBF my friend. 

But the IBF allowed Soliman and voluntary against Taylor before facing Korobov

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:21 am

'my friend'

??

I didn't make the edit, it was the 'ducking' that was funny.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 05 Sep 2014, 2:29 pm

Weren't some people suggesting Golovkin's team make this guy a huge offer to fight a little while back?

He'd probably have retired.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 05 Sep 2014, 7:44 pm

Very odd. I doubt Quillan would make anything close to 1.4 fighting GGG. Ignoring the fact that GGG would muller him in the process. That's an insane payday for him to throw away.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:55 pm

Have interviewed Peter Quillin and didn't expect him to vacate. Seems a promoter/managers move rather than the fighter.

Bad news, as Quillin vs Korobov would have been a tidy fight.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down