The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 Sky Sports 1 or 2?

+8
nathan
Notch
HammerofThunor
XR
Cyril
SirBurger
neilthom7
clivemcl
12 posters

Go down

Pro12 Sky Sports 1 or 2? Empty Pro12 Sky Sports 1 or 2?

Post by clivemcl Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 am

I'm about to add Sky Sports to me BT Vision. It gives me the option of buying both 1&2, or just one of the two.

Does anybody know if the games will always be on one channel - or will they get bumped to the other channel depending on what other sport events are on at the same time?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Sky Sports 1 or 2? Empty Re: Pro12 Sky Sports 1 or 2?

Post by neilthom7 Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:12 am

They will be moved from channel to channel depending on sports on etc so friday night matches might be on SS1 but a Saturday night match may be on SS 2,3 or 4 etc just no way of telling mate

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:21 am

SS tend to move games around to prevent people like you from just purchasing one channel!

Very annoying of them but not much you can do about it!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:30 am

Yep, best to get all channels to avoid disappointment.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:34 am

Ah well sure, not much you can do. I'm a wedding videographer, so Fridays and Saturdays are generally work for me. Need to be able to record them. Small price to pay really compared to ticket prices - which I'll rarely get a chance to go to.

BT Vision only does Sky Sports 1,2 and 5. If they put games on 3 or 4 I'll be peeved!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 pm

Off the phone from BT there! I could scream!!!

So... BT's 'best' box is the YouView box - which is provided as default to customers who order BT Vision without Sky Sports.

Sky Sports does not work on the YouView box - but on their older poorer Vision+ box.

When I enquired just now to upgrade to Sky Sports, they told me my box doesn't support it. I asked how I could get the box that does support it - £199.

furious

I argued the stupidity of it all - eventually she offered me a refurbished box at £25.

I still refused telling her that the company should not have given me a box which limited my ability to upgrade my package and in so doing paying them more per month.

That's £22 per month they are not getting.

Idiots.

.... not sure how i'm going to watch the sky sports pro12 games though...  Rolling Eyes

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:16 pm

there's a good streaming website which should have the links to the games if they're televised.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:22 pm

If you're not available for the Saturday slot (so streaming sites no good), then are all the games still available after the games have finished? I seem to remember that Notch (I think) was saying that some games were available online a certain time after the game has finished. The English Premiership rugby games were shown lke this when on Sky so that shouldn't have stopped it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Try Now tv Clive it's contract free on there you might be able to do it failing that private message me and I should be able to get you a deal with Sky if your not currently a customer.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Paddy Wallace is doing punditry tomorrow for Sky Sports. He'll be really good at that I think. Knows his stuff. Good acquisition for their Pro12 coverage.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Yea I knew about the daypass thing Neil, but I assume theres no way to record or watch later. It doesn't solve my problem of working on fridays/saturdays. Tomorrow for example, I'm doing a wedding all day - buying a Now TV day pass is no good unless I can record or watch later.

I'm hoping somebody puts the games on Youtube.

Neil, I've gone from BT to sky, back to BT. If I suggest switching to Sky again, my missus will flip her lid.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:45 pm

Haha fair enough Clive

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:43 am

I've been know to set up a video camera in front the PC with an internet stream running. Pretty extreme lengths, and the stream connection failed like before halftime. Crying or Very sad

Thing is, if Sky or whoever put games online - on demand - watch later - I'd happily cough up as much as a fiver to view it.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Sky Sports 1 or 2? Empty MR

Post by nathan Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:31 am

clivemcl wrote:I've been know to set up a video camera in front the PC with an internet stream running. Pretty extreme lengths, and the stream connection failed like before halftime. Crying or Very sad

Thing is, if Sky or whoever put games online - on demand - watch later - I'd happily cough up as much as a fiver to view it.

They need to do something similar to premiershiprugby.tv

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:02 pm

You can watch sky sports through iTunes. Day pass and other offer available.

Regarding BT, hate to say it but so many people said this would happen.

I saw that they have raised their subscription 4x inflation too...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:You can watch sky sports through iTunes. Day pass and other offer available.

Regarding BT, hate to say it but so many people said this would happen.

I saw that they have raised their subscription 4x inflation too...!

Sky Sports not being available on BT's YouView service (beneficial to the Sky owned Now TV) is down to Sky refusing to follow an Ofcom ruling, meaning BT are having to fight it in the courts.  It's even lead to the government preparing legislation to give further force to regulatory body decisions.

The mandatory BT landline when getting broadband will indeed go up in December by nearly 4x inflation, which is around 6%, or £1 in monetary terms.

Sky put up the price of their Sports package this month (a couple of weeks into the football season) by nearly 7x inflation, which is around 11%, or £2.50.  The Movies package went up by around a similar 10%, Family and Variety packages both went up by less, around 3%.

Sky prefer to put up the price of their TV packages rather than their line rentals or broadband because they're not covered by Ofcom rules that let customers walk away from their contracts for free when they do.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:42 am

The free sky broadband means we are paying less with sky at the moment. Bill went down £3.75 per month

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:05 am

Those of you who can get Sky broadband.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 am

Quick note for you Hawalsh you may want to have a quick check on your facts before you post such about Sky. BT are actually currently fighting court battle not against Sky but against the appeals committee of the regulators Ofcom.
Ofcom initially said that Sky should offer premium channels at a discounted rate to competitors and Sky appealed this and the competition appeal Tribunal overturned this and Sky should not have to do this.
This was then taken to court by BT who won an appeal to have this decision reviewed (a decision which Sky is currently appealing through the supreme court of appeal)
The review is now currently taking place and as of yet there has been no public decision.
I would appreciate it if you would check the facts before making allegations that SKy have broke the law as no law is currently being broke.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:54 am

If SKY could legally manage it, they'd shift one entire game between 24 different channels to force their 'valued customers' into buying all 24 channels- including their Special Bargain Basement DIY Disasters Channel, which of course everyone is talking about right now on Twitter innit.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:18 am

I just want to pay SOMEBODY some money to watch the Ulster Scarlets game at a time of my choosing.

Its burning a hole in my pocket...

I for one am a bit peed about the Pro12 coverage. If Sky were taking up all the games all season long - I'd probably switch back. But its only like 4/5 ulster games over the season.

Its also not great for regular joe half-assed supporters. People who might become solid fanbase members if they got interested enough.

In the past few years - plenty of folk I know would have happily watched and got enthusiastic about Ulster's progress through the season. But the same people, knowing half the games are on Sky will just choose not to support Ulster as much.

Its not great for widening the fan-base.

Back to my previous point - Is there no market for posting full events online for non-subscribers to pay to watch??

I'm not going to buy sky, but they could get a fiver per game off me probably... If they wanted it...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:41 am

I'm the same Clive and would gladly pay for a single event. As it is now there is no way I'd pay for Sky Sports just to see the odd match, if they covered them all I'd be in like flynn. If they sold a single pass for each game I reckon they would make a fortune but they seem to want to concentrate on people taking the whole package, something I'd never want.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:53 pm

You could always move to the dark side.

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/FullMatchReplays?WT.mc_id=mpType:Display*Asset:Display_Ad*CmpID:PRTV*Other:FullMatchReplays

EDIT: If you really have money to burn you can get a 24 hour pass for Sky (could watch online if unavailable on TV) for £10, current on offer for £7. A bit pricy for one game but...

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:06 am

neilthom7 wrote:Quick note for you Hawalsh you may want to have a quick check on your facts before you post such about Sky. BT are actually currently fighting court battle not against Sky but against the appeals committee of the regulators Ofcom.
Ofcom initially said that Sky should offer premium channels at a discounted rate to competitors and Sky appealed this and the competition appeal Tribunal overturned this and Sky should not have to do this.
This was then taken to court by BT who won an appeal to have this decision reviewed (a decision which Sky is currently appealing through the supreme court of appeal)
The review is now currently taking place and as of yet there has been no public decision.
I would appreciate it if you would check the facts before making allegations that SKy have broke the law as no law is currently being broke.

I would appreciate it if you would check what you think you read before making allegations that misrepresent my actual comments.

I'm very much aware of the facts of the situation and if you re-examine the basic outline that I gave I think you will find that I neither stated that Sky had broken the law (regulatory bodies' rulings are not laws in themselves -as my last sentence in that outline clearly highlights- and Sky is legally entitled to refuse to follow it by way of appeal) or that BT was currently fighting a court battle against Sky itself, simply that they were fighting the matter in the courts ("it" not Sky or a plural pronoun as I have consistently used to refer to them).

hawalsh wrote:Sky Sports not being available on BT's YouView service (beneficial to the Sky owned Now TV) is down to Sky refusing to follow an Ofcom ruling, meaning BT are having to fight it in the courts.  It's even lead to the government preparing legislation to give further force to regulatory body decisions.

Ofcoms' initial ruling against Sky, the nature of their appeal, the CAT's and then the CoA's judgements were more complicated and multifaceted than the pricing issue you mention.  You are incorrect to state that BT are currently fighting a court battle against the CAT, the CoA's judgement on BT's appeal of the CAT judgement means it has been remitted to the CAT in their dealing with Sky's appeal of the Ofcom ruling to address the Ofcom raised competition issues that it had failed to address previously.  That CAT hearing took place in July and a judgement is expected this month.  As stated in that hearing, following the CoA's judgement the WMO remedy "stands unless and until either the CAT overturns it as a result of an appeal, or Ofcom, itself, decides it no longer needs to apply".  A decision on Sky's application for permission to appeal to the Supreme Court "of appeal" from the CoA’s judgment is expected this autumn as well, it's not expected to be granted.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down