The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
Mad for Chelsea
lorus59
westisbest
I'm never wrong
skiddy
GunsGerms
Adam D
Be_the_ball
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Plunky
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
MustPuttBetter
BlueCoverman
SmithersJones
Shotrock
gw
gaelgowfer
golfermartin
Davie
kwinigolfer
barragan
Sand
Diggers
pedro
incontinentia
beninho
navyblueshorts
McLaren
JAS
34 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Tue 02 Sep 2014, 6:30 am

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Right now I would rather we still had Wellbeck and little pea and that Falcao had never arrived.  Not too impressed by the signing of Di Maria either.

"We"?? I'm surprised you associate yourself to an organisation that has squandered over £135 this summer, whilst there are homeless people on the streets and starving children in the world!! They could have spent £135m on those things and left the squad alone, finishing top half would still be ok wouldn't it? Especially if so many peoples lives were improved by redirecting transfer monies to charity.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by GunsGerms Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:55 pm

You have to be a real naughty naughty boy to do something like that. Nothing new for Clarkson really and yes he does it to get publicity which can be a little sad but it works.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Davie Mon 06 Oct 2014, 2:14 pm

Anyone have any thoughts about this story today that the internet troll, accused of harassing the McCann's (amongst others), has been found dead in a hotel room, a week after being exposed by some red tops and Sky news?

Not wanting to bring up the whole McCann thing again, and it seems this woman was (allegedly) a pretty desperate type, but I found something just a little uncomfortable about the way she was hounded by Sky news (yes I know she - allegedly - hounded the McCanns). Sky seem to be trying to distance themselves from the story but I saw the report at the time with the reporter following her down a road badgering for answers

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

Couldn't care less Davie, I think this story (all of the McCann story) has had the oxygen of publicity for long enough.

NOthing ever new comes out and nothing is ever closer to being resolved.
Time the media stopped reporting on it I think.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 06 Oct 2014, 2:23 pm

Davie

It is also unclear to me why she is not being referred to as a person but instead as "internet troll". She sent a few tweets, hardly enough to define what or who she is.

News agency should really be more careful when dealing with people who are clearly mentally in a bad place and have very little or no support network.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Oct 2014, 2:25 pm

Well, she's dead Mac, so doubt she's reading what the papers say about her.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 06 Oct 2014, 3:29 pm

Just watched the Bianchi crash video and shocking for once wouldn't be hyperbole (I don't subscribe to the view watching it is disrespectful).  The fact he is alive is quite frankly astonishing.

Last edited by McLaren on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

Bit ghoulish Mac.
Glad he's alive, and probably serves only to make F1 slightly less boring.

THought you'd be more interested in Bus F1?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:16 pm

Davie wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about this story today that the internet troll, accused of harassing the McCann's (amongst others), has been found dead in a hotel room, a week after being exposed by some red tops and Sky news?

Not wanting to bring up the whole McCann thing again, and it seems this woman was (allegedly) a pretty desperate type, but I found something just a little uncomfortable about the way she was hounded by Sky news (yes I know she - allegedly - hounded the McCanns). Sky seem to be trying to distance themselves from the story but I saw the report at the time with the reporter following her down a road badgering for answers
Yeah. It's laughable to remember the journalistic reaction to Leveson when they're pulling this crap. Tough, Sky - you can't distance yourself. You're directly responsible for what appears to be a suicide and certainly not for any reason such as "public interest". The woman concerned may well have had the odd issue but this is hardly the right way to go about addressing it is it? Sewer journalism at its worst. I hope the family of this woman throw the legal kitchen sink at them.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:08 am

Anyone buying Roy Keane's new book? Should be a good read if the pre release gossip is anything to go by.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:00 am

Think it would be a good read.

May purchase it, although dont really read books.

More interested on his progress in helping ROI & Villa do well.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:04 am

Can't stand footballers, last thing I'd want to do is read their moronic books.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:09 am

So that's a firm no then Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:11 am

Paul McGrath's autobiography is a very good read.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:20 am

Its interesting to find out what goes on behind the scenes at (former) top clubs like Man United. Keane doesn't pull any punches either (or kicks).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:26 am

I like Roy Keane, it seems his book does not hold back on much. Best sports autobiography i read was David Millar the cyclist, it was very good. Cascarino book also pretty good.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:32 am

incontinentia wrote:Anyone buying Roy Keane's new book? Should be a good read if the pre release gossip is anything to go by.
No; no way on Earth I'll be reading that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:38 am

Why not navy?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:48 am

Everything worth to know will be in the tabloids anyway.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:02 am

So nobel prize for physics goes to team who invented new colour of LED? Anyone able to explain that? I assume there is more to it that has passed me by.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:41 am

pedro wrote:Everything worth to know will be in the tabloids anyway.
A lot has come out already, Tesco sold a book early by mistake!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:11 pm

McLaren wrote:So nobel prize for physics goes to team who invented new colour of LED?  Anyone able to explain that? I assume there is more to it that has passed me by.

There's an explanation on the BBC website which explains it a bit better (as I had the view that a new colour of something that exists can't be that big a deal?). My attempt at turning that article into a brief summary is:

Red and Green LED already existed. The Blue one (which the prize is for) allows blending of the three colours to create "white" light (ie the light we all have in houses/device screens etc). As LED is significantly lower in energy usage to create it will have significant impact on CO2 emissions and will also enable remote areas (for example) to generate more usable light from solar power.

The people that did it managed to do it where large conglomerates couldn't despite throwing significant resource into research of it.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

incontinentia wrote:Anyone buying Roy Keane's new book? Should be a good read if the pre release gossip is anything to go by.

Having Roddy Doyle (author of the Comittments) as Ghost Writer may make it interesting however, surely the world has had enough of Roy boy at this stage?

Nice move on "accidently" releasing it early in a tesco in Manchester though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:42 pm

Roy's just another scumbag thicko who thinks he's hard and "complex".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:45 pm

Kevin Pietersen sounds like the biggest d1ckhead in sport.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:47 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Kevin Pietersen sounds like the biggest d1ckhead in sport.

I think we could build a pretty long list of candidates for that Kwini.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

Agreed super.
Perhaps there should be a weekly award:
Two weeks ago: Tom Watson
Last week: Whoever runs Watford FC
This week: Pietersen, though it looks as if he could well get a Lifetime Achievement Award.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:54 pm

How about a First XI of sports "stars" we love to hate?

9C
John Terry
Ashley Cole,
Kevin Petersen all have to be in there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

It sounds like Matt Prior is a bigger dckhead in the England squad alone!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

All arguing over who eats the best cucumber sandwich.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:01 pm

John Terry can take his entire family in to the First X1 with him.

ben,
That's only Pietersen's view isn't it?
Why should anyone treat him with any credibility??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:07 pm

The massive egos required to be a top sportsman don't transfer over to likeable personalities.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:18 pm

But in the vast majority, we only know the media profile of any sportsmen. So saying so and so is unlikeable is just a snap judgement. Pietersen does come across as a bit of a knob, but no more then Graham Swann.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:27 pm

Pietersen's persona though is someone who swaggers through life, and his sport, as a prima donna, then when it all goes wrong, mostly by his own doing, whines and moans and blames everyone else.
Why is it always him??

South Africans usually seem such strong personalities but he comes across as a total wussy - a bit like Pistorius in the dock.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

Do you think Pietersen and Tom Watson would get along?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

beninho wrote:But in the vast majority, we only know the media profile of any sportsmen. So saying so and so is unlikeable is just a snap judgement. Pietersen does come across as a bit of a knob, but no more then Graham Swann.

Saying that though, why would you portray something different to the media than what you actually are, and if you are perceived as being a bell end, what made you project that if you aren't one?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:45 pm

I think Roy Keane would beat him in that award... and that's just this week.

Although KP has a ridiculously over-inflated ego, it stands out more in the restrained world of english cricket. Footballers say far worse every week. I don't think he's harmed people in the way Terry, Keane etc have done.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:58 pm

Interesting that Graeme Swann has called KP's book a work of fiction, whilst both Vaughan and Nasser have made comments indicating that they recognised what KP has claimed.

I wonder how much of the book was written by KP. At least he seems to recognise the contents. Unlike Rooney, Gerrard and other footballers who bring out a new book every year and have no idea what they have "written".

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 07 Oct 2014, 4:45 pm

Yes it seems quite a few current and ex cricketers are prepared to back up what KP says ... so it's hardly indisputable fiction

Keane certainly coming across as the bigger d-head at the moment as far as I'm concerned

Some anecdote in there apparently that he was happy some Sunderland(?) guy had a heart attack to cause a game to be abandoned at half time when they were getting a good pasting? Not THAT is crass

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Oct 2014, 4:56 pm

incontinentia wrote:Why not navy?
To be fair, that might be some interesting bits in there as Keane seems to be pretty honest. I'm just not interested in hearing what a thug has to say tbh. So he has no regrets over the absurd Haaland 'tackle'? That's fine - I have no regrets that I'll not read this.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:02 pm

Sounds like?? He obviously is. Hey Kevin? SA, Notts, England etc etc - it was all them then wasn't it and not you? Everyone else is against him! Muppet.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

beninho wrote:It sounds like Matt Prior is a bigger dckhead in the England squad alone!
Sorry???? Says whom? The show-pony that's "KP" and who has form for being disruptive? Come on Ben.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:06 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Interesting that Graeme Swann has called KP's book a work of fiction, whilst both Vaughan and Nasser have made comments indicating that they recognised what KP has claimed.

I wonder how much of the book was written by KP. At least he seems to recognise the contents. Unlike Rooney, Gerrard and other footballers who bring out a new book every year and have no idea what they have "written".
Ugh! Two more arrogant, self-inflated sportsmen I've never heard. No wonder they appear to be agreeing with some of Pietersen's claims then.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:20 pm

Just read an article on the Keane book and while Im not a fan it does seem kinda interesting:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/roy-keane-ultimately-i-lost-the-battle-of-saipan-1.1954678

“Maybe ‘self-destruct’ is too strong a phrase. Maybe I play games with myself. I have great stability in my life. But then, that worries me. I like home comforts, but then I want to be this hell-raiser – but I want my porridge in the morning. I want my wife and kids around me. I’ve dipped into this madness, and I don’t like it that much. Maybe I’m like every man on the planet – I don’t know; I want a bit more than what’s on offer."

Seems a little more personal, honest and revealing than most sports bios. some of which are about as sophisticated as Adrian Moles diary.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:54 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:Interesting that Graeme Swann has called KP's book a work of fiction, whilst both Vaughan and Nasser have made comments indicating that they recognised what KP has claimed.

Ugh! Two more arrogant, self-inflated sportsmen I've never heard. No wonder they appear to be agreeing with some of Pietersen's claims then.

while I agree with Vaughan, I don't think you can make that claim of Nasser. When he's on commentary he's never (or very rarely, only when it's relevant) talking about his own playing days (unlike say, off the top of my head, Boycs, Beefy, and of course the afore-mentioned Vaughan who can never shut up about it). In fact, he's comfortably the best pundit Sky have at the moment for the cricket, and his book Playing with Fire is also a great read.

On KP, was anyone expecting anything different? I won't read the book, but as mentioned when you fall out with just about every team you've played with (SA province, Notts, Hampshire and England - twice) maybe the problem isn't with everyone else... It's possible that some of what KP says is true, but a lot of it is likely to be score-settling: I suspect just as Prior was initially instrumental in bringing him back into the fold, he'll have also played an important role in his subsequent sacking, which explains Prior copping most of the flak.

Love Terry though (obviously he's a huge knob as a person, but what a presence on the pitch!) Very Happy In general I'm not convinced sportsmen should be perfect role-models in any case (and I don't think it fits them - someone pointed it out but to be a professional sportsman you have to believe you're the best, and thus you have to be arrogant really). Obviously some guys make a better fist of it than others though...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:43 pm

You are dead right MFC, sports people don't have to be role models, however, I see no reason why they have to come across as such morons.

You can be arrogantly confident and still be an outwardly nice person. Messi would fit that bill for me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:50 pm

I don't know why anyone would buy this Keane book for no other reason than he wrote a book back in 2003. I read it and he said all the same stuff - Alf Inge Haarland etc - in that. 2003 he was on his last legs pretty much for United and has done precisely zero of interest since. Where's the incentive to buy this one?!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

super_realist wrote:You are dead right MFC, sports people don't have to be role models, however, I see no reason why they have to come across as such morons.

You can be arrogantly confident and still be an outwardly nice person. Messi would fit that bill for me.

Even Cristiano Ronaldo fits that bill. Has enough sense to not look like a prune
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:34 am

I would have to vote for Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal as 2 very competitive sportsmen at the very top of their sport, yet appear very pleasant off court.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 08 Oct 2014, 6:46 am

Not sure about that. Federer is intolerably smug at all times. I don't really like that, while Nadal is ghastly on court but seems to interview ok ironically.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:34 am

Federer is as dull as dish water. Very boring individual.

Going back to footballers, while not a household name, Ian Taylor is a top man.

Met him a few times, always has time for the fans, being a Villa fan himself.
Met him at an away game at Fulham, great laugh.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next