The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept

+18
Baz1974
tigertattie
cakeordeath
Totalflanker
IanBru
GLove39
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
justified sinner
Kingshu
asoreleftshoulder
VinceWLB
BigGee
CraigS1874
George Carlin
JonnyEdinburgh
RDW
EWT Spoons
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 Empty Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 10 Sep 2014, 8:57 am

First topic message reminder :

Edinburgh RugbyEdinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 Edinbu10 v Connacht RugbyEdinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 Connac10

12th September 2014
19:35
BT Murrayfield

Preview: Edinburgh v Connacht
Edinburgh Rugby ended a five game losing streak in the Guinness PRO12 with their exciting 14-13 victory at Munster on Friday.
Related Multimedia
The Scotsmen have not begun a season with back-to-back victories since 2009/10, but are on an unwanted run of three straight home defeats.

Connacht also ended a five game losing run with their 16-11 victory at home to the Dragons on Saturday. Connacht began the 2011/12 season with two victories, the first time they had achieved this since 2006. The Irishmen's only victory in Scotland in their last seven visits was in this equivalent fixture at Murrayfield two seasons ago.

Connacht were victorious 11-7 in Galway the last time that these two sides met but have never managed back-to-back victories over Edinburgh.

At BT Murrayfield, 7.35pm

Live on BBC Alba & TG4

Referee: Gary Conway (IRFU, 2nd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Lloyd Linton, Graeme Marshall (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: Rob Flockhart (SRU)
TMO: David Changleng (SRU)

Edinburgh
Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 Bond-c10
15 Jack Cuthbert
14 Sam Beard
13 Phil Burleigh
12 Andries Strauss
11 Nick McLennan
10 Tom Heathcote
9 Sean Kennedy

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford (Captain)
3 John Andress
4 Fraser McKenzie
5 Ollie Atkins
6 Tomas Leonardi
7 Hamish Watson
8 Cornell Du Preez

16 James Hilterbrand
17 Rory Sutherland
18 W P Nel
19 Anton Bresler
20 Mike Coman
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22 Grayson Hart
23 Joaquin Dominguez

Connacht
Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 Pierce10
15. Darragh Leader
14. Niyi Adeolokun
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Dave McSharry
11. Danie Poolman
10. Jack Carty
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
2. Dave Heffernan
3. Nathan White
4. Mick Kearney
5. Quinn Roux
6. John Muldoon ©
7. Willie Faloon
8. Eoin McKeon

16. Sean Henry
17. Finlay Bealham
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Aly Muldowney
20. George Naoupu
21. Ian Porter
22. Craig Ronaldson
23. Fionn Carr

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 Empty Re: Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept

Post by George Carlin Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:22 pm

picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 Empty Re: Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept

Post by RDW Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:22 pm

Can't say they've not deserved it

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:23 pm

Normal shambolic service resumes

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:25 pm

Heathcoat's missed kick proving costly.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:26 pm

2 bad mistakes by Sam Clyne in the last 10 minutes.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:26 pm

That is ridiculous, every feed so far has been squint!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

Yup. It was a squint feed. But so have been the Connacht ones. Consistency please ref
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:28 pm

Abysmal performance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:28 pm

Balls

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:29 pm

Not quite there yet are they, could have won that game, but you can't say that they should have. Pretty awful ref though, but that is not why they lost, they had their chances!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:31 pm

What is disappointing is their points came from us having good attacking platforms on their line!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:35 pm

BigGee wrote:Not quite there yet are they, could have won that game, but you can't say that they should have. Pretty awful ref though, but that is not why they lost, they had their chances!

No can't blame the ref and Connacht turned up well, but non neutral match official makes the league look very amateurish.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:36 pm

The ref has an absolute nerve to ignore squint feeds all game and then randomly ping 79 minutes in.

That said though, we were lethargic for most of the game so got what we deserved. Depressing to lose to a side like Connacht, especially when they missed so many kicks at goals and were dire with the ball in hand.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:37 pm

Connacht did play well but we were a shadow of the team we were last week. That's not the ref's fault.

We're not going to come in the top 6 losing at home to connacht!

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we miraculously best the O's next week.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

Connacht were resilient all game and got their reward for it.

I thought Edinburgh looked like the best team going forward as they won most collisions but small mistakes and lack of threat out wide was the difference.
Andress should have stayed on for longer than that, thought the scrum was better with him.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:42 pm

John Beattie is a Scottish version if Jiffy. I think I will stick to Gaelic

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz1974 Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:44 pm

Agreed on neutral refs and Touch judges too. They may be saving a few bob but they're undermining the leagues credibility with this penny pinching.

Baz1974

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 12 Sep 2014, 9:47 pm

What was the penalty count?

Not saying Connacht doesn't deserve their win but i don't think the better team on the night won.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:03 pm

VinceWLB wrote:What was the penalty count?

Not saying Connacht doesn't deserve their win but i don't think the better team on the night won.

Disagree : connacht did little wrong, we did most things wrong. They also surely dominated possession and territory.

What's disappointing is last week I genuinely believed Solomons about this year's pre season regime. Tonight however the forwards were dominated up front, and the players looked on their feet after 60 minutes.

If we're being shafted up front by connacht at home what we gonna do against stronger teams?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:14 pm

I thought both teams were poor. The deciding factor was scrum time. I can't believe that is the same pack as last week

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:15 pm

Well I had baby fES screaming at me all evening and missed e game, but by the looks of the comments and the score I missed little.

Deeply disappointing after the Munster heroics. It was a great opportunity for a strong start to the season and now we're at par. Particularly annoying to botch the first home game against a side we ought to beat (by dint of the sheer amount of investment).

Was Strauss anonymous by any chance?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:31 pm

Most the team were anonymous.

Was a bit underwhelmed by bresler too - was hoping for snarling and nasty and to me he just looked lost and clumsy.

I'm also not convinced McLennan is going to offer very much to the squad.

Hurly was ok, but definitely more of a 12

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:33 pm

Connacht might have dominated possession & territory, so fair play to them for that but they did nothing with it. Every few passes they'd knock it on & they barely threatened our line.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:41 pm

Scrum re-sets were abysmal. The ref decided that Andress was responsible every time the front rows dropped so he was yanked at half time. The ref followed up on his yellow card threat by sending Nelly The Elephant to the bin for an offence that wasn't really clear to me.

Neither side looked able to penetrate on first or second phase - just shows how vital Fife and Visser are. Heathcote kicked well for goal but his kicking out of hand was aimless - Pappy has retained his strategy from last year of everyone booting the ball away if you receive it in your half.

Kennedy does a lot of fannying around before clearing ball away and delivered quite a few passes to bootlaces. Sam Clyne got frustrated and made two crucial mistakes that led to penalties in the last 10.

Just performances lacking in any sort of fluency. Du Preez almost dragged Edinburgh over the line by sheer force of will. Hurly did all right but had no go forward ball to work with. So all in all, yes, it sounds a lot like last year.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Fri 12 Sep 2014, 10:53 pm

I actually thought McLennan looked a player, his pass for the try was perfect something visser and possibly fife could not do, his kicking and chase was actually fairly strong. I didn't really notice hurly but our centres really do lack a spark at the moment.

Our big players such as cuthbert just didn't turn up so a very frustrating game but we do have the likes of visser, Gilchrist, fife,,Scott and Denton to come back into the team.

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:10 pm

Connacht never really threatened the Edinburgh's line apart from that rolling maul where the defense disappointed me after such promise against Munster. We have to keep in mind last week's win was against Munster's 2nd strings (and they were even down to 3rd or 4th choice in some forward positions).

It's a shame as when they strung few phases together like at the end of the 1st half, Connacht's defense couldn't keep up with it.

Back row showed up pretty well but locks disappointed, Atkins can't hold on to the ball it seems.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm

GLove39 wrote:Connacht might have dominated possession & territory, so fair play to them for that but they did nothing with it. Every few passes they'd knock it on & they barely threatened our line.

True. My first look at Connacht this season and................... hmmm, not much happening there of an incisive inventive kind. Lots of work to do. But it's early for all teams to be making any rash judgements. Yet too, Edinburgh should have made Connacht's limitations on the night show more on the scoreboard and they didn't - so both sides will feel very iffy about that game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz1974 Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:23 pm

Disappointed with Henshaw's performance. Looked hesitant and error prone. Hope it's just rust because he looked a long way off international standard tonight.

Baz1974

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 13 Sep 2014, 8:34 am

Well looking at the bigger picture, 5 points is just about what we expected after 2 games. Its just a shame after winning last week!

Also, that's 4 games in a row lost at home. 4 pretty feeble losses at home. Not the best way to build a support.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:31 am

Edinburgh V Connacht 12th Sept - Page 3 6a00d83452654869e200e55282a3988834-piVery soft loss.  Edinburgh lacked creativity, made too many mistakes, line speed in defense was non existant.  they just looked soft.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:36 am

Just watched the game; in total agreement with TJ. So is it the MFL end of season dance next week, then. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Sat 13 Sep 2014, 11:51 am

Well, my barely interested friend that I took along to the match is now firmly in the 'not interested' category. Picked the wrong game to try and sell our sport to him.

There was a point in the 2nd half when I groaned every time Connacht dropped the ball as it seemed inevitable they would get a penalty at the scrum....im sure they started dropping it on purpose!
The set piece decisions dominated the match. Can someone on here who is lucky enough to be enriched with the secret knowledge of the workings of the scrum shed light on what happened. I know a crowd will moan and jeer everytime the ref blows against us at scrumtime but I reckon 90% of the crowd cant really tell what actually happened. Were we deliberately indisciplined, shafted by the ref or simply dominated?

On the handful of occasions we kept ball in hand we looked alright. Thought Heathcote had a reasonable match (except his kicking from hand). As others have mentioned, line speed in defense was poor (but surely can be easily fixed?! ).

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 13 Sep 2014, 11:59 am

JonnyEdinburgh wrote:Well, my barely interested friend that I took along to the match is now firmly in the 'not interested' category. Picked the wrong game to try and sell our sport to him.

laughing I sympathise. Yes, not the best early game in the season game to bring a non-believer to - should have at least waited until further into the season when sparks might be flying. It's like letting a friend watch one of your favourite movies with you and hiding behind the sofa out of fear that they're going to think it's Shyte!!! When a friend thinks a movie you love is shyte, that can often kinda kill the magic of the movie even for you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

Hootsmon's report is fairly accurate:
EDINBURGH’S winning run came to and end after, er, one match. This was an odd game and not a very good one with the home team leading for all but the final four minutes when Connacht snatched victory at the death.

Trailing by four points and awarded a kickable penalty Connacht opted instead for an attacking lineout and umpteen backs joined the resulting maul five metres from the Edinburgh line. The massed ranks of green jerseys then marched their way in slow motion over the Edinburgh line and flanker Willie Faloon was awarded the score. It was a highly dramatic ending to an utterly forgettable game.

“We were just very flat tonight,” said Edinburgh coach Alan Solomons. “We spoke about all week how we peaked against Munster and we spoke about making sure that we were in the right frame of mind, mentally and physically. We took things relatively easy during the week and obviously Connacht are a side never to be underestimated. We just weren’t at the races today.”

Solomons was left to rue a performance from his set scrum that may very well have cost his side the match. Edinburgh started well enough but Connacht dominated them by the end with Edinburgh conceding several penalties and free kicks including one which cost them their last chance to salvage this match. WP Nel was also shown a yellow card just 15 minutes after entering the fray at half time.

“The set scrum was difficult,” said Solomons. “We will sit down and go through every one of them with a fine tooth comb. We have to get to the bottom of it because that was a killer for us, even right at the end there.

“I thought that the scrum made an enormous difference. We were just too passive tonight, we were too flat, but there is no doubt that what happened at scrum time had a bearing.”

On the plus side for Edinburgh, Tom Heathcote enjoyed a commanding performance at ten and his one miss off the tee hit the posts. Cornel Du Preez is gold dust, scoring one try and it should have been a brace.

Highlanders’ import Phil Burleigh looked the part on his club debut at outside centre and Hamish Watson was his usual industrious self.

On the flipside Edinburgh’s scrum wilted badly when put under pressure and full-back Jack Cuthbert endured a first forty minutes that will make for uncomfortable viewing come Monday’s video session.

Heathcote was successful with two penalties in the opening quarter, while Connacht’s fullback Darragh Leader fluffed two tough, long-range efforts to give the home side an early advantage. It should have been more because Edinburgh then squandered two opportunities to score the first try and Cuthbert had a hand in both.

First up the Edinburgh fullback overcooked his grubber kick so it beat Nick McLennan to the dead ball line. Then Edinburgh worked a overlap but Cuthbert misjudged what should have been a simple scoring pass to Sam Beard on the right wing, giving it early so Leader was able to scramble back and knock Beard into touch. Things went from bad to worse for Edinburgh as Cuthbert guddled a quickly taken lineout back over his own try line and gifted the visitors an unexpected five-metre scrum, although the danger was eventually cleared.

Connacht had already make their mark on the scoreboard with a 22nd-minute penalty under the posts when prop John Andress failed to roll away from the ball and the same man allowed Leader to level the scores with his second successful kick just before the break after collapsing a set scrum.

Edinburgh had the last words of the first half thanks to Sean Kennedy. The scrum-half’s long kick earned Edinburgh good field position and after several phases, Kennedy seemed go left left almost by accident and the ball was worked to an unmarked Du Preez on wing. Until that, the highlight of a disappointing second half had been the two yellow cards. Leader popped over Connacht’s third penalty when the referee’s patience with Edinburgh’s set scrum ran out and Nel took a ten-minute rest. Luckily for the home side the Connacht flanker Faloon swapped places with the Edinburgh prop after the replays on the big screen caught him stamping.

A kick and chase from Du Preez ten minutes from time won his team an attacking scrum and, with Connacht now reduced to 14 players, the No 8 picked and drove over the line only for the referee to spot a knock on on the big screen replay.

It proved a costly slip. Connacht went up the other end of the field and Faloon came up with the winner.
Forgot to say:
1. Hamish Watson looked fast and competed hard.
2. I do not care what anyone says - the refereeing was horribly inconsistent and it does matter.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

SecretFly wrote:
JonnyEdinburgh wrote:Well, my barely interested friend that I took along to the match is now firmly in the 'not interested' category. Picked the wrong game to try and sell our sport to him.

laughing I sympathise.  Yes, not the best early game in the season game to bring a non-believer to - should have at least waited until further into the season when sparks might be flying.  It's like letting a friend watch one of your favourite movies with you and hiding behind the sofa out of fear that they're going to think it's Shyte!!!  When a friend thinks a movie you love is shyte, that can often kinda kill the magic of the movie even for you.

I feel your pain. Took a football loving friend to that horrific Wales game a couple of years ago - the one with the hunners of scrums and ball only in play for 38 minutes - had to keep telling him it's not normally like that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm

The first game my wife saw live with me (being Lebanese-Canadian, she had never watched any rugby in her life) was Scotland beating Australia at Murrayfield in November 2009.

I obviously explained that we always beat this bunch of losers, but we seemed to make heavier weather of it this time than usual.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:28 pm

the only positive for me was Watson - who really looked the part and his stats are good DuPreez we already knew was good

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:31 pm

I didn't see the game but it seems Edinburgh didn't react very well to beating Munster. Those quotes from Solomons in the Scotsman maybe suggests they didn't prepare well enough, talks about making sure they were in the right place mentally and physically but taking it relatively easy. Maybe mistakes made in preparation?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:43 pm

Well there's a 9 day turnaround to the next game, so I expect a few beastings during the week!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

laughing I sympathise.  Yes, not the best early game in the season game to bring a non-believer to - should have at least waited until further into the season when sparks might be flying.  It's like letting a friend watch one of your favourite movies with you and hiding behind the sofa out of fear that they're going to think it's Shyte!!!  When a friend thinks a movie you love is shyte, that can often kinda kill the magic of the movie even for you.

I feel your pain. Took a football loving friend to that horrific Wales game a couple of years ago - the one with the hunners of scrums and ball only in play for 38 minutes - had to keep telling him it's not normally like that!

Similar story, a mate of mine took along one of his football friends along for his first ever rugby match. It just happened to be THAT Italy game with the suicidal first 6 minutes! Don't think he went for years after that!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 13 Sep 2014, 1:00 pm

Connacht didn't make a single break the whole game, Edinburgh defense was strong except for that rolling maul, game was won or lost at the scrum, penalty count 12 to 6.

http://www.espnscrum.com/guinness-pro12-2014-15/rugby/match/233219.html

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 13 Sep 2014, 1:02 pm

Watson made 18 tackles - double any other Edinburgh player Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 13 Sep 2014, 1:04 pm

And it was him that ripped the ball in a tackle as well as 9 carries

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 13 Sep 2014, 1:05 pm

Who needs fusaro and Strauss if you have Watson and Du preez! Very Happy

I'd take Harley though...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 13 Sep 2014, 1:05 pm

Yep great workrate from Watson! For me he already proved that he is a much better player than lightweight Fusaro!

Stats confirms what i thought that the locks had a poor game if you compare to Munster's performance, jury still out on Bresler.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 13 Sep 2014, 2:26 pm

I know it's probably been said earlier but I didn't see Can't Throw Won't Hook attempting to hook one single ball. Which is fine if you win all your own ball but does look rather suspect when you have a penalty and choose a scrum because it's a good attacking position and then get pushed off the feccin ball. (Which your hooker chose not to strike for) Doh

I thought that Watson looked a real prospect, however don't big him up too much too soon. Remember the John Barclay- Roddy Grant 1872 debacle.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 13 Sep 2014, 2:29 pm

So at 7 we've got Barclay, Fusaro, Cowan, Watson, Sherlock and his mighty Kellybrows.

Not too bad. And that's before you start considering anyone who might play in places like Bristol.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 13 Sep 2014, 4:22 pm

I can just see His Rabness right now.
"See Fern, let's take a punt on playing above the ground. Team selection is a bit like a bikini in a Hot Dog eating contest. Know what I mean. Now this kid Watson ...He's a born six. Fusaro is the same size as Parisee was when he was younger so he can be the best 8 in the history of the world. And Kelly doesn't want to play anywhere else but 7"

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 Sep 2014, 8:47 am

It's amazing the difference a game makes. This time last week I was happy with what had happened at the weekend. Today it is all doom and gloom again thinking about a long season for Edinburgh!

Things aren't going to be any easier in the near future though - tough away game against the O's on Sunday then only a 5 day turnaround before the Scarlets at home. Suspect we're going to see some squad rotation.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 9:57 am

It's a bit of a shame really, had to think what actually could have went wrong. We can say the ref was panst but as others have said we butchered our fair share of chances.

Nice to see another solid defending display. Whatever else we can say our defence has improved imesureably compared to last season.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next