The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The climb to the top table?

+8
Pedro147
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
horizontalhero
milkyboy
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
spencerclarke
12 posters

Go down

The climb to the top table? Empty The climb to the top table?

Post by spencerclarke Mon 22 Sep 2014, 12:58 pm

Afternoon all,

Just wondering what you guys think of some of the less talked about GB up and comers and their chances of climbing to the top table:

Josh Warrington 18(2)-0-0
Scott Cardle 16(4)-0-0
Kid Galahad 18(9)-0-0
Terry Flanagan 25(9)-0-0
Paul Butler 16(8)-0-0
Bradley Skeete 18(7)-0-0
Adam Etches 17(14)-0-0

Anyone amongst those you are excited about? Or would you like to add someone else to the mix?

Cheers

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

The climb to the top table? Empty Re: The climb to the top table?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 22 Sep 2014, 12:59 pm

Galahad the only name that springs to mind.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

Was going to do a small article on Galahad and the fact that he's perhaps slipping under the radar somewhat, but seeing as he's been mentioned here I'll just give the subject a once-over.

Anyone else think that Galahad beats Quigg? I thought Kid was excellent the other night and oozed class. He pulled some great moves, looked fit as a fiddle and his judgement of distance as well as his timing were brilliant. Only black mark on the performance was that he didn't get his man out of there despite having him clearly softened up.

He's got the full bag of tricks and I think his upper body movement and back-foot countering would gel with Quigg's pressure style and body attack to make a great spectacle.

Again he and Hennessy are making noise about the Quigg fight, saying that he and hearn won't accept their 'substantial offer', but is that really a substantial offer, or just a substantial offer by Hennessy / C5 standards which Quig and Hearn could rake in for fghting an unknown on Sky? Who knows.

Galahad hasn't got the Sky exposure and belt like Quigg has, which maybe colours people's opinions, but I think he could get in there with Quigg now and give him hell.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:38 pm

Kal Yafai is doing the business and looking good.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:40 pm

Funny world where exposure on free to air counts less than subscription service but that's how it is. If the promoters/tv companies can't make the noise around their fighters and/or the fighters don't have the x-factor it's a shame. I didn't know galahad was fighting until I flicked the tv on.

I like galahad, he's skilled and game and called Barry. What's not to like. Not sure he has that extra something, at the top table but not sure quigg has either so it would be a good fight, in a division where there are a few good fights to be made.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:46 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Was going to do a small article on Galahad and the fact that he's perhaps slipping under the radar somewhat, but seeing as he's been mentioned here I'll just give the subject a once-over.

Anyone else think that Galahad beats Quigg? I thought Kid was excellent the other night and oozed class. He pulled some great moves, looked fit as a fiddle and his judgement of distance as well as his timing were brilliant. Only black mark on the performance was that he didn't get his man out of there despite having him clearly softened up.

He's got the full bag of tricks and I think his upper body movement and back-foot countering would gel with Quigg's pressure style and body attack to make a great spectacle.

Again he and Hennessy are making noise about the Quigg fight, saying that he and hearn won't accept their 'substantial offer', but is that really a substantial offer, or just a substantial offer by Hennessy / C5 standards which Quig and Hearn could rake in for fghting an unknown on Sky? Who knows.

Galahad hasn't got the Sky exposure and belt like Quigg has, which maybe colours people's opinions, but I think he could get in there with Quigg now and give him hell.

He reminds me a little of Colin McMillan, in that whilst he's a wonderfully skilled operator, I find myself wondering if will be able to cope against top class brawlers and pressure fighters. I hope I'm wrong, but he doesn't look strong enough,or hit hard enough.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Kal Yafai is doing the business and looking good.

True he looks very good but he must leave Hennesy.

What is the point of Hennesy better to sell you're soul and sign up with fast car.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:52 pm

I'm high on Galahad (have been since I saw him box on the Murray-Thaxton card in Altrincham).

I thought he looked strong inside on Saturday, he lacks a punch but is strong in the clinches.

Butler is extremely talented but belongs at super fly (he almost came a cropper against Hall in Newcastle).

I also rate Etches and Flanagan (but I'm not keen on Cardle -- thought Goodings deserved a chance to come back last weekend).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:22 pm

Galahad won't make it because of the division he fights in...............Cardle though he knocked out that guy hasn't got the dig to make it at the top level....Warrington is British level If his fight with Monroe is anything to go by..

Quite impressed with Butler..........

Yafai really impresses me...Saunders too.............Can see an alphabet for Billy and more than one for Yafai..

Joshua cleans up the heavy division for me.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:31 pm

I went off Galahad before the Jazza Dickens fight. Call him a smackhead or something in line with that and laying into his parents who were both heroin addicts. We all like needle before a fight but there is a line and he crossed it. I hope he doesn't win a world title and I won't be supporting him.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:38 pm

Pedro147 wrote: Call him a smackhead or something in line with that and laying into his parents who were both heroin addicts. We all like needle .

Laugh Laugh Laugh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:38 pm

Pedro147 wrote:I went off Galahad before the Jazza Dickens fight. Call him a smackhead or something in line with that and laying into his parents who were both heroin addicts. We all like needle before a fight....
Shocked

Proof reading needed or was that on purpose?

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:41 pm

No pun intended at the time but in hindsight that was genius hahaha

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:05 pm

Pedro147 wrote:No pun intended at the time but in hindsight that was genius hahaha

I'd like to see more of it.............It's the first time I've ever found you interesting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:No pun intended at the time but in hindsight that was genius hahaha

I'd like to see more of it.............It's the first time I've ever found you interesting..

I'll try my best to entertain you in future because it is of course my primary reason for visiting the site boxing

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:10 pm

Pedro147 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I'll try my best to entertain you in future because it is of course my primary reason for visiting the site boxing

I believe you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:12 pm

Big fan of Josh Warrington, he won't last at world level due to a lack of power but he's a good honest pro and from what I've seen has a lot of time for his fans outside of the ring. Butler has the chance to gain a second world strap, Warren has done right by him so far. Etches it one to keep an eye on, not on TV due to being with Hatton Promotions and I'd back him to beat Eubank JR and run Saunders very very close.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:30 pm

Not seen Yafai's last couple of fights. Has he picked up again? Looked to be struggling in first couple of fights after his injury.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:35 pm

Surprised Bradley Saunders hasn't been mentioned. Bone-breaker.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 23 Sep 2014, 1:33 pm

Think Paul Butler has definitely made the right decision to drop his title and drop back down to Super Flyweight. Obvious disadvantage for him is the weight he fights at which is highly unlikely to attract much attention in this part of the world.

Slightly off topic but still related, surprised to see Stuart Hall getting another World title shout at his vacated title the same night though highly doubt he will pull it off.

Another fighter not mentioned who is Marc McCullough maybe a bit of biased here but fancy him to give Josh Warrington a long night and possible be a bit too strong for him.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 23 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm

Galahad vs Frampton, whos your money on??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 23 Sep 2014, 2:48 pm

Honestly don't think Galahad makes it any further than the 6th against Frampton. I like Galahad just don't think he hits hard enough to keep Frampton at bay and can't see him coping with Carl's power for any longer than that.

Don't think Galahad beats Quigg either at the moment while he may be able to outbox him for a few rounds again just think Quigg would prove too big and strong at the moment and stops him late.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 23 Sep 2014, 2:50 pm

I agree with you. Think Quigg would maybe be too strong and definitley think Frampton is too good all around

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down