The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September

+13
Luckless Pedestrian
LeinsterFan4life
jimbopip
brennomac
RDW
Dorothy_Mantooth
IanBru
VinceWLB
BigGee
Golden
funnyExiledScot
Kingshu
George Carlin
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September - Page 2 Empty Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September - Page 2 Warrio11                          Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September - Page 2 Connac11
Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby
Friday 26 September 2014
KO 19:35
Scotstoun Stadium
Alex Salmond's Favourite City

Categorically not on bloody telly

Referee: Cladio Blessano (FIR, 6th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Mike Adamson, Stephen Ward (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Montgomery (SRU)

A. Teams:

Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September - Page 2 King-l10
15. Stuart Hogg
14. Sean Lamont
13. Mark Bennett
12. James Downey
11. DTH van der Merwe
10. Duncan Weir
09. Henry Pyrgos

01. Gordon Reid
02. Pat MacArthur
03. Euan Murray
04. Tim Swinson
05. Al Kellock (Captain)
06. Rob Harley
07. Chris Fusaro
08. Adam Ashe

16. Kevin Bryce
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Rossouw de Klerk
19. Tom Ryder
20. James Eddie
21. Murray McConnell
22. Finn Russell
23. Tommy Seymour

Connacht Rugby
Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September - Page 2 Peter-10
15. Darragh Leader
14. Danie Poolman
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Dave McSharry
11. Matt Healy
10. Jack Carty
09. Ian Porter

01. Denis Buckley
02. Dave Heffernan
03. Rodney Ah You
04. Michael Swift
05. Aly Muldowney
06. John Muldoon ©
07. Eoin McKeon
08. George Naoupu

16. Shane Delahunt
17. Ronan Loughney
18. Nathan White
19. Quinn Roux
20. Mick Kearney
21. John Cooney
22. Craig Ronaldson
23. Fionn Carr

B. Form - head to head:

24 Played 24
14 Wins 7
7 Losses 14
3 Draws 3
57 Tries 41
39 Conversions 29
52 Penalties 50
2 Drop Goals 5
525 Points 428
25 Avg. Age 25

C. Form - last season:

Saturday 2 November 2013
Connacht Rugby 12 - 19 Glasgow Warriors
Sportsground

Sunday 9 February 2014
Glasgow Warriors 8 - 6 Connacht Rugby
Scotstoun Stadium

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 26 Sep 2014, 7:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September

Post by jimbopip Fri 26 Sep 2014, 11:43 pm

George Carlin wrote:Great summaries Bru and Dot - thanks very much.

Am delighted with a BP win - it's more than I was hoping for, actually.

Ditto, ditto.
The only thing missing is Glasgow's answer to Jonny Marr and Morrisey singing the praises the Messiah brightening our darkness with nihilistic epigrams.

NO I DO NOT MISS THEM.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby, 26 September

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:03 am

I missed the game and am desperate to find highlights... or the whole game... Anyone know where I may find such a link? The YouTube Pro12 highlights seem to appear midweek :-/
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:30 am

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:I missed the game and am desperate to find highlights... or the whole game... Anyone know where I may find such a link? The YouTube Pro12 highlights seem to appear midweek :-/

Club twitter feed says highlights available tomorrow evening.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:34 am

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Club twitter feed says highlights available tomorrow evening.

Cheers dot Very Happy
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:48 am

How did Kellock play?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sat 27 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:How did Kellock play?

Played well enough, we dominated line out when he was on. It's clear at this stage he's a drop off from Gray and Naka but he's still a very decent Pro 12 level player.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm

IanBru wrote:Well well well... Jimbo old bean, let me first say that the score line doesn't really reflect the nature of the match. I wouldn't say we were lucky, but we scored points when we had our chances, while Connacht didn't always. We certainly didn't dominate.

I'll say this right now: if Connacht play like that for the rest of the season, they'll be in Europe for certain and possibly even challenging for a playoff spot. Without a doubt, they have combined their traditional niggly, awkward style of play (which is why I'm always so worried when we play them) with a real hard edge in attack, particularly through the forwards. Their back play actually reminds me of Glasgow's but without the finesse and obvious practice that we see with the Warriors (like Connacht are B-4 to Glasgow's Data, for any TNG fans out there). The thing that most impressed me was their speed to the breakdown and their overall defensive line speed. These things layer a big part in neutering Glasgow for significant portions of the match.

Be in no doubt, Connacht will worry the vast majority of teams they come up against this year.

Glasgow were solid, if unspectacular for the first half. They didn't seem to be trying their normal offloading game, but they got some good value from kicking in behind Connacht, particularly with the wind behind them. Two tries and a ten point lead at halftime were about right.

In the second half, with Connacht spreading the ball a bit more and gaining the upper hand in the scrum (for sure, Reid-MacArthur-Murray is superior to Jerry-Bryce-Du Klerk) I was getting a bit worried. What impressed me about Glasgow is that they played smart rugby - they built a lead, maintained it long enough to force Connacht to play 50/50 rugby, then fed off the mistakes, with Bennett's interception try being the classic example.

And now for my final thought: while Henry Pile Cream was good tonight, my MoM award definitely goes to Rob Harley. Like fine wine, he just gets better with age, and he is absolutely central to our defensive structure. If Kelly Brows really is seen as a 7 in a Scotland shirt, then the case for the Ginga Ninja to  make the 6 shirt his own is fast becoming inescapable.

I think Connacht could be the most improved team in the league. Of the teams that finished 8-12 last year, I think Connacht are the only ones that have really improved,
and to think they still have
Mils Muliaina Bundee Aki and Tom McCartney
to play later

However its best not to get carried away, I remember Dragons made a flying start last year, winning 4 of the first 7 games, and then dropping off due to injuries in the second half of the year.

Connacht are beginging to pick up injuries now, and have a small squad, so its how they cope with these with have a big impact on the season.

As long as they don't have an injury crisis, they are top 6 contenders.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sun 28 Sep 2014, 7:03 pm

Highlights

https://youtu.be/OU7nifSDS2w

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:39 am

Great result given the form that Connacht were on. Looking forward to catching the highlights later this evening.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2