The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do men fear women coaches?

+7
beshocked
Submachine
kingraf
Welly
HammerofThunor
Biltong
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
11 posters

Go down

Why do men fear women coaches? Empty Why do men fear women coaches?

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:43 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/29360273
interesting article whats your opinion on this?

Back to top Go down

Why do men fear women coaches? Empty Re: Why do men fear women coaches?

Post by Biltong Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:52 am

I think it all depends on the sporting code.

Athletics, tennis etc I would as readily accpet a female coach as I would accept a male coach.

But rugby is a contact sport, call it modern warfare without casualties, but it is a testosterone filled environment, and I expect a man to coach me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:54 am

Because there is still rampant sexism in the UK. In all things, not just sport. It's pathetic. Mather getting hostility from Teddington just for being a woman is pathetic. If she's a crap coach them she shouldn't progress. If she's good she should. Gender should be irrelevant.

And unfortunately, the above post, from a very decent and sensible poster, shows it's not.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:31 am

But the word fear is often used by the disadvantaged party to tip the balance of opinion in there favour, these days anyone who doesn't agree with a minority is often labeled an "ist" or a "phobe" with no regard for their right to disagree,
at the end of the day it's nothing to do with fear it's about respect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:15 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Because there is still rampant sexism in the UK. In all things, not just sport. It's pathetic. Mather getting hostility from Teddington just for being a woman is pathetic. If she's a crap coach them she shouldn't progress. If she's good she should. Gender should be irrelevant.

And unfortunately, the above post, from a very decent and sensible poster, shows it's not.

I just don't see a woman being able to rile me up in a change room the way a man can, she can be the fitness coach, or any other coach, but when it comes to motivation and the passionate warcry from the headcoach inspiring me to rip into the opposition I don't think a woman can do that for me.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Biltong wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Because there is still rampant sexism in the UK. In all things, not just sport. It's pathetic. Mather getting hostility from Teddington just for being a woman is pathetic. If she's a crap coach them she shouldn't progress. If she's good she should. Gender should be irrelevant.

I just don't see a woman being able to rile me up in a change room the way a man can, she can be the fitness coach, or any other coach, but when it comes to motivation and the passionate warcry from the headcoach inspiring me to rip into the opposition I don't think a woman can do that for me.

This.

Just the psychology is all different with them, (not in a attraction way) I think sometimes it can be more of a protective attitude as oppose to a aggressive attitude for some people.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:15 pm

And that's the only point of a coach? To pump players up before a game? Maybe women coaches WOULD be a good idea. Maybe they would actually coach, and bring in some like Gary Neville to gee up the players (as Lancaster does).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:17 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:And that's the only point of a coach? To pump players up before a game? Maybe women coaches WOULD be a good idea. Maybe they would actually coach, and bring in some like Gary Neville to gee up the players (as Lancaster does).

Suggest me a woman to coach a mens pro rugby team.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:48 pm

She can, I suppose. It's not only about geeing players up. In any case, not all coaches subscribe to the hairdryer policy. As a coach myself, the key is to ensure the players believe in what you're doing, and will do their utmost to stick to your plans for them. I've personally never made a hoorah speech in my life, whether as captain or as coach, and I don't think they were overly effective with me, if I'm honest. It's a cliché, but I believe that proper planning, and peak execution is more than a match for guts and glory and All that.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:01 pm

kingraf wrote:She can, I suppose. It's not only about geeing players up. In any case, not all coaches subscribe to the hairdryer policy. As a coach myself, the key is to ensure the players believe in what you're doing, and will do their utmost to stick to your plans for them. I've personally never made a hoorah speech in my life,  whether as captain or as coach, and I don't think they were overly effective with me, if I'm honest. It's a cliché, but I believe that proper planning, and peak execution is more than a match for guts and glory and All that.
you're a coach? what driver?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Cricket and rugby mate. Level one rugby, level two cricket. Been meaning to upgrade my Rugger qualifications, but I just don't have the time.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:50 am

I've never been coached by a woman in a sporting area but in my working life all the best bosses I have had have been women. Less confrontational, tend to emphasise the positives rather than harp on about the negatives and in general create a more harmonious working environment.
When it comes to actual coaching i.e helping to develop skills in my working life I can't say I've seen any difference. A good coach gives feedback, positive and negative and can help you develop and improve by challenging you to analyse your own style and work with you to make improvements.
In rugby hoever I am little bit in the Biltong camp. I've had many coaches in the past but the ones who really inspire you are the ones who've been there and done it before. Senior players in the club who went on to coach, former pro's who I've seen play internationaly. These guys just bring out a little bit more in you. I don't think it's a gender thing though. I've had good coaches who didn't have great playing credentials and they just didn't inspire me in the same way.
If I was to be coached by a female with a proven track record on the pitch I don't think i'd have a problem.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:15 am

Biltong sums up why it is difficult for many in the rugby world to accept women as coaches.

Personally I think they can get the most out of players it shouldn't matter. That's what a coaches job is - to do the best job with the tools available.

Margot Wells as mentioned in the article is a successful coach. Her track record is very good.

There are definitely differences between backroom staff like physios and fitness trainers compared to forward and backs coaches.

It's normal not to see a women's forward or backs coach because they don't have the same experience in the role as the men generally.

One player who I think could make the transition is Maggie Alphonsi because she's got the experience of being a top class rugby player in the women's game. She is well respected and has a good reputation. Saracens men have a good coaching set up so she can get some tips off the coaches there like Gustard and Sanderson.

Director of rugby or CEO - now that's something I don't think we will see!

As for tennis - women's tennis and men's tennis are different because the women play best of 3 compared to the best of 5 in slams. It does make a massive difference. There is a difference in mental strength and endurance needed. Level of performance needs to be maintained over a longer period too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:29 am

I think to clarify my position on this it is important to understand that I don;t have a prejudice with taking lessons or orders from a woman, be she a boss or a coach.

But during my time in the Army when we still had national service compulsory for two years when you leave school, the bonds you make in a battle situation is hard to describe in words.

Let me just explain it in as best as I could, that camaraderie you build with men you went into contact with transcends normal friendships and the respect, trust and relationship is different to the best mate you have had at school.

Hope this makes sense.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:40 am

Biltong I know what you mean - it's that us and them mentality. I guess you call it tribal.

Rugby players obviously form very tight units and bonds which helps make them an effective rugby team but it would be especially hard for a woman in particular to break into that tribe because they are not one of the group.

Going into a rugby game is seen as similar as going in battle - you have your orders, you expect your team mates to work with you for a similar goal etc. You're a warrior. Breaking down that tribal mentality is tough.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:46 am

Exactly, well put.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:03 am

have you seen the film "the blindside"?

just saying
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:09 am

tigertattie wrote:have you seen the film "the blindside"?

just saying

the blindside is about a family adopting a young man from a tough upbringing. Not sure you can compare it this topic.

The woman in the film is not a coach. It's not the same as a woman trying to coach an American football team or rugby team. Yes she's a forceful personality but it's not the same. Nurturing and looking after one individual is different.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 am

I don't think there's a problem with a woman coach as such, I know one team that has one in the youth section, the problem is the more generic one of "what do you know about it?" or "show us your medals" that might prevent a female coach from getting acceptance, it would take a very strong personality (Maggie Alphonsi being a good example) to get past that barrier.
If a female coach was brought in at a lower level and progressed atttitudes might change - for example in a club set up, she went through the age groups she would get some respect - of course she would also have to have a winning team.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Brilliant article. I think actually if you get a female coach who is working in a sport like rugby, its probably worth giving her a chance on the basis that she must be a very strong personality to have gotten that far because consciously or subconsciously a lot of people will have put barriers between her and that kind of career choice and she's very obviously smashed through them all.

So there is something to be learned on the mental side of things already from a person like that. When the entire world is saying 'You don't belong here, you shouldn't be doing this' and then she is saying 'Feck that, I'm doing it anyway' you've already got my attention. Bad female coaches won't last either. A bad male coach in a male dominated sport might get by being part of the boys club. A bad female coach will find it much harder to hold onto their job in the face of poor results, being a natural outsider and natural target for sexism. So if she is still working at the highest level then it must be down to competence.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:12 am

Why do men fear women coaches?

Why to women fear men cooking? (Husbands not flash TV chefs)

Sexism that's why! Wink

Sexism happens because it's real.  I mean it's a reflection of a physiological reality - men are different to women and women are different to men.  I had to say that twice to balance it all out and not to be accused of sexism Wink  

But many want to pretend you could have a society that sees no differences in the sexes - but you couldn't.  Even if you have every law and rule book directed towards a fully automated gender-equality society (not against it btw) you'd still have humans full of their animalistic, evolutionary-necessary urges to see differences everywhere - and gender differences will always be part of that perception soup of 'difference'.  
How could women have their morning coffee chats together without talking about how comically and foolishly MANish their husbands are in certain areas.  Would they deny themselves that treat in order to create a perfectly gender-respectful society?  Like hell they would Wink

Sexism is everywhere and sometimes very appropriately too - as in gender defined public toilets.  Distinctions of perception made on cultural grounds, political grounds and gender grounds is what makes us humans tick.  It might not be always pretty but that's not the issue - the unavoidable issue is that we've gotten this far by being what we are - forever talking about 'equality', forever conspiring to be more equal than the neighbour is - it's evolution.

So let's just understand the intincts of Man (as in Humankind...........  Whistle ) and stop trying to socio-science every man-made problem away by use of a deceptive word called - equality.

I personally wouldn't have an issue with a female coach in rugby as long as she was proving herself a good one, just as I'd have no issue with a fat little guy with glasses and curly hair being a coach, if he was a good one.  A good coach is all I seek................ unless he coaches an opposition team - then I want him to be a fat little guy with glasses and curly hair and I want him to be a woman who can't coach........

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down