The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joey Barton set for Newcastle United departure

+7
Doon the Water
Cheikitout
GG
Gregers
compelling and rich
Derbyblue
Liam_Main
11 posters

Go down

Joey Barton set for Newcastle United departure Empty Joey Barton set for Newcastle United departure

Post by Liam_Main Wed 25 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton is set to leave the Tyneside club after contract negotiations broke down between the two parties.

The 28-year-old, who has a year to run on his present contract, was unable to agree terms on a new deal.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew has been quoted as wanting to retain Barton, who joined Newcastle from Manchester City in July 2007 for £5.8m.

Huyton-born Barton has scored eight goals in 82 appearances at Newcastle.

Barton has previously stated his happiness at Newcastle, and was even quoted as wanting to extend the contract in February of this year.

"Joey will continue to be a Newcastle player next season and then he will leave on a free transfer at the end of his contract," Barton's agent Willie McKay told Sky Sports.

"Joey would have loved to have extended his stay at Newcastle, but unfortunately it is not to be.

"Joey has loved his time at Newcastle and nothing will change his commitment for the club next season.

"Obviously we will be monitoring the situation next January to try and find a new club for Joey as he can speak to clubs from abroad in January."

Barton is one of several first-team players linked with a move away from St James' Park, with former Spain Under-21 full-back Jose Enrique the subject of reported interest from Premier League rivals.

Meanwhile Newcastle have confirmed they have parted company with defender Sol Campbell and striker Shefki Kuqi, with their deals expiring this summer.

Campbell, 36, joined the Magpies last summer but was limited to just eight appearances, while Kuqi, 34, arrived on a short-term deal in February, but featured only six times as a substitute.

"Newcastle United can confirm that Shefki Kuqi and Sol Campbell have left the club," a spokesman said.

"Everyone at Newcastle thanks Shefki and Sol for their efforts while at St James' Park and wishes them the very best for the future."

First off what is Newcastle thinking?! Joey's played terrific this season and seems to be controlling his discipline aswell he will be heavily missed at the club when he leaves next season.

Last edited by Liam_Main on Wed 25 May 2011, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Joey Barton set for Newcastle United departure Empty Re: Joey Barton set for Newcastle United departure

Post by Derbyblue Wed 25 May 2011, 5:30 pm

Liam_Main wrote:Magpies boss Alan Pardew has been quoted as wanting to retain Barton.
First off what is Alan Pardew and Newcastle thinking?! Joey's played terrific this season and seems to be controlling his discipline aswell he will be heavily missed at the club when he leaves next season.
Clearly Pardew is thinking he would like Barton to stay at Newcastle... I would assume this would be to do with budget issues? Not sure why you would keep him for a year and then let him leave on a free, sell him while his value is high and you can bring in a replacement and have money left over to fill in other holes.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Joey Barton set for Newcastle United departure Empty Re: Joey Barton set for Newcastle United departure

Post by compelling and rich Wed 25 May 2011, 7:03 pm

must be on very high wages for you to get rid (well at least even not to try and offer him a new contract) as he's been one of your better players this season.

you wont get much for him from clubs in the summer as they know he's only one year left and you have come out and told everyone that you wont be offereing him another!! bad buisness, would have been better off putting a smoke screen up and talk about neogations with barton but would sell him if cant agree terms with the player

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 8:54 pm

People foretting that his agent is a class A Muppet? Willie McKay is one of the most corrupt and vilest people in the sport. Barton's been good this season, but wouldn't necessarily be irreplacable. A four-year deal is too long and I think a 2 year contract on slightly lower wages wouldn't do too bad.

Similar happened with Taylor earlier on in the season and he soon came around. Expect Barton to get a new deal sometime before Christmas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 26 May 2011, 11:13 am

I think he would be a great signing for a top club such as Chelsea. Add something to their midfield

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 26 May 2011, 11:14 am

He's been linked to Liverpool by a few websites.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Thu 26 May 2011, 11:22 am

They parted company with Kuqi? I think they're all mad!

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2011, 11:48 am

I was gutted when the Kuqi Monster was released, but made much happier when I found out Shambell had gone with him.

I don't think any club would be willing to risk Barton, and it would make no sense to leave the club after we've stuck with him through so much- even jail time!

If he did leave us I'd be really disappointed if it was Liverpool. Couldn't do with seeing him and Carroll playing for them next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 26 May 2011, 12:02 pm

I think a lot of clubs will be willing to risk Barton when you look at how he played last season, especially if they can wait until January when they can sign him for nothing. I'd prefer for him to stay at Newcastle though.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2011, 12:10 pm

Domestic clubs would have to wait until next summer to get him for nothing. But I reckon by January he'll have his new contract sorted out. If Enrique and Nolan both put pen to paper before the start of the season then I'd expect him to follow suit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheikitout Thu 26 May 2011, 2:42 pm

Shame really the fuss is about the length of the contract not the actual wage demands as joey said he will take a paycut, joey wants a 4 year deal but iv read NUFC have only offered him 2. shame if he leaves but i think that this statement from joeys agent was made to give our owners a boot up the backside and get the negotiations going. if he leaves we will probably see jose, nolan and eventually tiote leaving.

Cheikitout

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 26 May 2011, 3:10 pm

If it's over contract length then maybe they should put in clauses guaranteeing an extension providing he plays so many games?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2011, 3:25 pm

Cheikitout wrote:Shame really the fuss is about the length of the contract not the actual wage demands as joey said he will take a paycut, joey wants a 4 year deal but iv read NUFC have only offered him 2. shame if he leaves but i think that this statement from joeys agent was made to give our owners a boot up the backside and get the negotiations going. if he leaves we will probably see jose, nolan and eventually tiote leaving.

I reckon Bartons agent made the comment in order to try and gain more from the club and try and put Joey in the shop window. In four year times Joey will be 30+ and I can't see him being a first choice, and even a paycut would put him on a large salary (£30k+ a week). I don't think Barton/Nolan would have too much affect on Jose, as I think he's waiting to see whether the club strengthens over the summer. If the rumours of Gervinho being in talks are true then hopefully this would convince him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 27 May 2011, 8:50 am

Nobody is going to take Barton on a 4 year deal, too risky.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by miket281017 Fri 27 May 2011, 11:41 pm

I think he will end up staying, his agent is a known prat, just trying to engineer a move to line his own pockets probably!

miket281017

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 May 2011, 1:18 pm

As a Liverpool fan, I don't want Barton. We don't need any central midfielders, and the new owners have repeatedly said we are going to concentrate mainly on signing young players rather than bringing in somebody like Barton.

I reckon he'll end up going to Everton or Aston Villa, possibly as a replacement for Reo-Coker.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 28 May 2011, 1:31 pm

He probably wouldn't be played as a central midfielder after last season though.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 May 2011, 3:36 pm

I think the signing of Cabaye for Newcastle will see him out on the wing again. I don't expect him to go anywhere, Everton wouldn't take him when they have Arteta, Cahill, Rodwell and Fellaini and I think Villa are past signing players on huge wages. Fully expect him to be in the team at the start of September.
Code:

Ben Arfa
Jonas  Tiote  Cabaye  Barton
As a midfield for next season looks very appealing Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 28 May 2011, 3:50 pm

So you want Newcastle to get rid of Nolan?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 May 2011, 4:09 pm

Derbyblue wrote:So you want Newcastle to get rid of Nolan?

You can have more than 11 players in a squad remember.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 28 May 2011, 4:16 pm

Yes you can, but I would have thought after his last season being Newcastle's top goal scorer you may want him in the starting line up, plus the fact he's the captain but I guess that's just my opinion.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 May 2011, 5:29 pm

Yeah, I understand. But just because he's not in the starting line up doesn't mean they have to "get rid of Nolan".

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 28 May 2011, 5:45 pm

I know they don't have to sell him just because he isn't in the starting line up, however leaving you're captain and top goal scorer out of the starting line up would seem to suggest he's available, or you are replacing him.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 May 2011, 6:28 pm

If I had my way Nolan would rotate with Ben Arfa, and if you look at his performances for us over the past year he's been mostly effective from pouncing on set pieces or playing behind a striker. I suppose I should tell you that for all his goals he only has 2 assists from last season, and Ben Arfa had so much more pace and creativity, and that is needed with one player upfront. Tiote does a completely different job to what Nolan does and Cabaye, from what I've seen, is a strong, quick player who can go forward and defend. If we bring in two decent strikers in the summer then we wouldn't need to rely so heavily on his goals. His experience and organisation in the dressing room has been key and would be a brilliant player to have on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 29 May 2011, 12:39 pm

Why are Newcastle going to let him leave on a free? Why not get the money for him and buy a replacement this time next year they will have no Barton and no money to replace him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 1:07 pm

I don't think we would let him leave on a free. I still expect him to be wearing a Newcastle shirt next season. I don't think we'd get too much (£5m max) for a guy heading towards 30, who has a year left on his contract. Although I'm sure his fee would almost cover the Cabaye transfer, we've got £30m from the Carroll transfer to play with. You never know, Barton might see sense and ditch that Poopie agent he's got and stay on to help the push for a top ten finish.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 29 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Push for a top ten finish?

Apparently Liverpool and Tottenham are interested in Barton why would you say no to that to help a team finish in the top 10?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 2:05 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Push for a top ten finish?

Apparently Liverpool and Tottenham are interested in Barton why would you say no to that to help a team finish in the top 10?

First team football. Can you really see Barton getting into a Spurs midfield of Bale, Sandro, Modric and Lennon? I feel that Barton owes the club another year after what we've went through with him. If McKay didn't exist, neither would this problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 29 May 2011, 2:58 pm

Churchill wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Push for a top ten finish?

First team football. Can you really see Barton getting into a Spurs midfield of Bale, Sandro, Modric and Lennon? I feel that Barton owes the club another year after what we've went through with him. If McKay didn't exist, neither would this problem.
I can't see him getting into a Spurs or Liverpool midfield but Joey Barton probably thinks he can if he works hard enough. That is the key all footballers have egos and self belief. That and the fact both teams will pay him more money than Newcastle. I don't think he owes Newcastle anything he stayed in the Championship and helped them get promoted then he was excellent this year helping them stay up comfortably in the end.
I agree with McKay a few years ago Scott Brown and Kevin Thompson signed new contract with Hibs. A month later they switched agents to McKay who demanded Hibs renegotiate the contracts with a wage increase or sell the players. A month later Thompson went to Rangers and 4 months later Brown went to Celtic and McKay got two big fees for making the transfers happen.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 3:26 pm

Really? I can't see either of them wanting to fork out £50k a week on someone who isn't going to improve their starting XI. Barton definitely owes us. We paid his fine after his assault, stuck through him through one long injury, then his 6 month jail sentence, got injured again and played less than half the season in the Championship. Albeit he repaid some of this with a fantastic season, but he definitely owes us more than we owe him.

McKay is corrupt as anything and is all about the money.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 29 May 2011, 3:36 pm

Barton has done well over the last couple of years I don't see him doing anything wrong if he wanted to go now. Newcastle would get money for him and get a very high earner off the wage bill.

Tottenham and Liverpool would put out £50k a week on a very good and reliable squad player. He would play more often than not.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 3:47 pm

From Joey's latest tweet I still think he's staying:

Finished playing golf, 72 not bad. Came in to questions about joining Everton??? I don't want to leave Newcastle but thanks anyways........

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 29 May 2011, 3:50 pm

On a non footballing basis I think that's his best move tbh. I don't think someone of Joey's temperament would survive in Liverpool given his history in the city. As for London I don't see him settling down south I think he would get into a bit of trouble down their as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 31 May 2011, 9:51 pm

I think Barton is replaceable. We have Gossling raring to go, a top form Ireland would be a great player, and have young guns like Richardson who may get a run out in the minor cups.

Im sure we can find a player to replace Barton...and for lower wages....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2011, 10:18 pm

Ireland isn't with us anymore and Gosling is a different type of player. I think we can replace him, but his attitude and experience is something maybe we can't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 31 May 2011, 10:31 pm

Sorry yeah i was just saying Ireland back in prime form could be a useful addition...

And its his attitude over the years that we dont need Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down