The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland squad for autumn tests

+27
tigertattie
Majestic83
Nematode
George Carlin
IanBru
GLove39
BigGee
reallybored
TJ
MacKnocked-on
jimbopip
R!skysports
RuggerRadge2611
beshocked
sensisball
alive555
Argybargy
Imperialbigdave
alexgmacdonald
VinceWLB
bluestonevedder
demosthenes
Dorothy_Mantooth
nickj
madmaccas
RDW
31 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Scotland squad for autumn tests Empty Scotland squad for autumn tests

Post by Majestic83 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:17 pm

The scotland squad for the autumn tests is named on Monday for the three tests in November.

The tests are
Argentina 8th November 5.30pm kick off at Murrayfield

New zealand 15th November 5.30pm kick off at Murrayfield

Tonga 22nd November 2.30pm kick off at rugby park, Kilmarnock

All three tests are going to be very hard and physical, scotland having just beaten argentina in the summer but what was mostly a 2nd/3rd choice argentina team, never having beaten the all blacks and losing to Tonga the last time they played 2 years ago on a dismal day in Aberdeen.

The scotland players will want to put in big performances to impress new coach Vern cotter and the team will also want to put down a marker with games running out before the World Cup.

For me winning the Argentina and Tonga games and putting in a good performance and keeping the all blacks close will be a good series for scotland.
Glasgow have had a great start to the season and will provide a lot of the squad. Edinburgh on the other hand have been poor and probably won't provide too many of the squad. Will fielding the majority of the glasgow first Xv be the way to go with one or two exiles included ?

There will probably be a squad of around 32 to 34 named on Monday.
This would be my squad

Props
Gordon Reid
Al Dickinson
Alex Allan
Euan murray
Geoff cross
Jon Welsh

Props are a little bit of a concern due to injuries and loss of form of some. Jon Welsh returns this weekend for ayr and is expected to play for Glasgow the following week. Geoff cross has just returned from injury aswell and hopefully will get more game time for London Irish as in recent tests he has been very good. The Rev seems to be getting back to good form for Glasgow and will be first choice till the others pick up form.
Loose head is a bit easier, Gordon Reid is in decent form, Al Dickinson has been oneof Edinburghs few form players and alex Allan is getting better and better. Think it will be too early for ryan grant to challenge.

Hookers
Ross ford
Pat maccarthur
Fraser brown

Hooker is a difficult position, not toomany players really pushing on in this position. Ross ford has looked fairly decent this season though still having problems with hooking and the occasional line out blip.
Pat maccarthur has had mixed form and seems to be a rotation system at glasgow with their hookers as all four are pretty equal. Fraser brown has impressed me, very accurate at set piece and is like an extra open side in open play.

Locks
Jonny gray
Richie gray
Grant Gilchrist
Tim Swinson
Lots of good quality locks to choose from but these four are the best on form. The gray brothers are very different players and should compliment each other. Richie is very athletic and strong in the line out, jonny has those qualities but has an added bite about him and really is effective in the breakdown area and is a good leader despite only being 20. Grant Gilchrist has come on leaps and bounds over the last 2 years. A bit of acombination between the gray brothers, athletic but is developing a hard edge which scotland need. Tim Swinson wins the fourth lock spot, playing well at glasgow, not the biggest lock but very powerful and gets through lots of work

Back row

Rob Harley
Kelly brown
Johnnie Beattie
Ally hogg
Blair Cowan
John Barclay

One of Scotland's strongest area if they are played in their correct positions and have the correct combination which is key. Have included ally hogg as he is in great form at Newcastle and deserves a call up. Blair Cowan has been one of the best 7s in the premiership. Been very impressed by him, big tackler, good at winning turnovers, very athletic and gets about the pitch and is good with ball in hand and also has a bit of aggression about him. Rob Harley has been impressive and is the tough niggly player you want from a six. Great line out option and tackles like a demon, also seems to have improved his ball carrying.

Scrum halfs
Chris cusiter
Greig Laidlaw
Scott Steele

A fairly easy pick, cusiter in great form at sale and Laidlaw getting better at glaws especially in the last couple games. Then there is scott steele who has really impressed at London irish. Been probably their key player. Great service and also likes to have ago himself and has created a fair few tries too.

Stand offs
Finn Russell
Duncan weir

No one is really standing out. Weir has been very consistent this season and finn Russell is starting to come into form after a later start to the season. Russell still looks the most all rounded option with a good kicking game, strong passing game and not afraid to have a go himself. Unlucky for ruraidh Jackson as he had looked very impressive at wasps. Tom heathcote has had good moments but still looks a bit short in confidence while Tonks has shifted back to full back.

Centre
Al Dunbar
Mark Bennett
Peter Horne
Duncan Taylor

No options in the centre from edinburgh as they continue to play foreigners so 3 out of the 4 are from glasgow. All 3 are very different players but seem to compliment each other no matter what combo. Duncan Taylor has looked good at Saracens playing mostly at 13 and has won motm a couple times. Struggling slightly with other options with alex grove playing in the championship and nick de Luca playing in d2.

Wing
Sean Maitland
Tommy Seymour
Tim visser
Sean Lamont

Lots of good options to choose from Seymour is getting better each game and looks very sharp and dangerous. Maitland back from injury and an extended break which has probably been a good thing after playing pretty much 3 years without a break. Should be refreshed and certainly looked v sharp scoring an 80 m try for glasgows back up squad. Visser having a mixed season, still sharp in attack but still suspect in defence. A lot of people will disagree with sean Lamont but thought he has been v good for Glasgow and has that added physicality. For me he will be a very good impact sub. Max evans misses out despite being in good form for castres despite their poor start, has scored 2 or 3 times already this season. Dougie fyfe just back from injury and could sneak into the squad but will struggle due to edinburgh spoor form.

Full back

Stuart hogg
Peter murchie

Hogg seems to have recovered from last seasons lions syndrome blip. His attitude seems a lot better and looks a real attacking threat again. Hopefully will kick on even further and will establish himself as one of the top full backs in world rugby. Been doing a lot of work on his goal kicking to get him up to the 80% + mark. Peter murchie in great form at Glasgow as well, very solid in defence and under the high ball and pops up in the right place in attack and is deceptively quick with his long stride. Cuthbert started the season well at edinburgh but has been poor the last few weeksafterhaving to play wing. Tonks has looked ok but not as good as hogg or murchie. Steve MacColl started the season well for glaws but is injured but is one to watch out for in the future .

A year out from the world up scotland need to stop experimenting and trying out new players. They need to play the strongest team so that players are settled and can read each other which only comes with game time together.

For me the strongest lineup would be

1 Gordon Reid
2 Ross ford
3 Euan murray
4 grant Gilchrist
5 jonny gray
6 rob Harley
7 Blair Cowan
8 johnnie Beattie
9 chris cusiter (capt)
10 finn Russell
11 Tommy seymour
12 alex Dunbar
13 mark Bennett
14 sean Maitland
15 stuart hogg

16 Fraser brown
17 Al Dickinson
18 Geoff cross
19 Richie gray
20 kelly brown
21 greg Laidlaw close call with scott Steele
22 Duncan weir but tempted with Horne who is more versatile
23 sean Lamont.

That's my thoughts and my strongest current team but interested to hear others views in what is a real makeor break season for scotland.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for autumn tests Empty Re: Scotland squad for autumn tests

Post by reallybored Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:20 pm

15 - Hogg
14 - Seymour
13 - Bennett
12 - Dunbar
11 - Visser
10 - Russell
9 - Cusiter
8 - Beattie
7 - Cowan
6 - Harley
5 - Gray
4 - Gray
3 - Murray
2 - Ford
1 - Reid (Grant?)

16 - MacArthur
17 - Allan
18 - Cross
19 - Gilchrist
20 - Brown
21 - Laidlaw
22 - Weir
23 - Maitland

24 - Brown
25 - Dickinson
26 - Welsh
27 - Hamilton
28 - Swinson
29 - Barclay
30 - Watson
31 - Ashe
32 - Steele
33 - Pyrgos
34 - Heathcote
35 - Horne
36 - Taylor
37 - Fife
38 - Tonks

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:04 pm

I'd have Tonks and Pyrgos in the squad for probably Sean Lamont and Laidlaw

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:07 am

Good article Maj.

I've been thinking about this recently, and I suppose the million dollar questions is:

Will Glasgow's form translate into Scotland form?

On the surface this would make sense, but let's not forget that last year Glasgow made the Pro 12 final and yet Scotland had a truly awful season. I think Cotter has some big decisions to make with this regard.  The core of the squad is going to come from Glasgow, so what does he chose in terms of tactics and selection for Scotland?

- Will Glasgow's tactics work at Scotland level, given the higher caliber of opposition and much tighter defenses? Let's face it, the last team to play the harum-scarum style of offloading game was Wales when they won their grand slams in 2005/2008 - is there a reason that isn't seen anymore at International level? Scotland don't have a couple of mental Fijians and a Josh Strauss - who are a big part of Glasgow's effectiveness - who would take on those roles?

- if the Glasgow tactics aren't going to be used, will the Glasgow players be as effective? Would they be suited for a different style of play? I think this is one of the reasons Scotland were so poor last year - the style of play didn't suite them.

Real concerns for me are front row.  Glasgow's starting front row yesterday (Reid-McArthur-Rev) could realistically be Scotland's starting front row yet they were under the cosh against Bath's 2nd choice, and were completely annihilated when their first choice came off the bench. Dickinson has been strong for Edinburgh but we've had our own scrum issues, and Low and Cross have had bugger all gametime for their AP teams. Some difficult choices to be made here.

In terms of gameplan though, there are some promising comments form an interview with Alan Tait in the Scotsman this morning - suggesting Cotter is going to play a faster gameplan:

I’ve sat with Vern [Cotter] and I’ve listened to him talk and and I’ve watched some of the sessions and I’m pretty excited. Let’s get quick ball, let’s get things moving. I think he’ll go that way. We’ll try and get a quick style of game and, obviously, to get a quick game you have to get quick ball. Every defence coach in the world is trying to slow ball down so it’s how we take that contact and present the ball and get it away that will be key for us in forging an identity.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:00 pm

I agree with every selection bar Gilchrist and Swinson. To me they just aren't international quality, Gilchrist is cracking in the lineout but offers nothing much else. None-the-less I do hope he'll continue to improve and could become of international standard in a year or 2.

Swinson, whilst a good club man, is a different matter and wouldn't have got a cap for any other major rugby nation. So why should we play him?

I know Hamilton can lose his head from time to time, but alongside Lamont he's been the only player over the last years to show any bite or passion. It's obviously pie in the sky stuff but I'm secretly hoping Cotter will convince Nathan Hines to come out of international retirement for one last season (leading up to the WC). He's as old as the hills but is still, imo, a better player than Gilchrist or Swinson.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:30 pm

With RWC in mind, I think VC will want to rotate the team quite heavily. I'd like to see this team, some good talent and some players that have a point to prove.

Reid, Ford, Murray
Gray, Gray
Harley, Watson, Cowan
Cusiter, Russell
Dunbar, Bennett
Seymour, Maitland, Hogg

Grant, Lawson, Welsh, Gilchrist, Brown, Prygos, Weir, Fife

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Bt sports opta team has rated Lawson, Hogg and Cowan well recently btw. Lawson's lineouts are going well and Cowan's making a ton of tackles.

Also the Scotsman seemed to imply only Beattie could play 8 but if need be we have Cowan, then Brown and Barclay also.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:35 pm

madmaccas wrote:I agree with every selection bar Gilchrist and Swinson. To me they just aren't international quality, Gilchrist is cracking in the lineout but offers nothing much else. None-the-less I do hope he'll continue to improve and could become of international standard in a year or 2.

Swinson, whilst a good club man, is a different matter and wouldn't have got a cap for any other major rugby nation. So why should we play him?

I know Hamilton can lose his head from time to time, but alongside Lamont he's been the only player over the last years to show any bite or passion. It's obviously pie in the sky stuff but I'm secretly hoping Cotter will convince Nathan Hines to come out of international retirement for one last season (leading up to the WC). He's as old as the hills but is still, imo, a better player than Gilchrist or Swinson.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Gilchrist. He's been a fantastic player for Edinburgh and I definitely think he's international class - he did well on the summer tour.

I'd say he's one of the best ball carriers out of the 2nd row options - Richie being the best, Jonny and Grant close behind - and when he's been calling the Edinburgh lineout it has been very good.

Yes he lacks the grunt and hard edge of Jim or Jonny but He's a lot better at that.

I'd definitely have him with Richie and Jonny!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Nematode wrote:Bt sports opta team has rated Lawson, Hogg and Cowan well recently btw. Lawson's lineouts are going well and Cowan's making a ton of tackles.

Also the Scotsman seemed to imply only Beattie could play 8 but if need be we have Cowan, then Brown and Barclay also.

Cowan and Barclay certainly aren't international 8s, and brown is a solid if unspectacular option.

I think we're all in agreement that we need to be picking players in their best positions - that means Beattie and Denton at 8 with Wilson/Hogg and Ashe backup.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 pm

For me Jonny Gray is our best lock by a mile.

Richie is a freak, his work-rate is impressive but we need to make more of his carrying.

Big Jim an old fashioned lock, just a big bit of nasty but an under-rated rugby player imo.

Gilchrist is still young for a front five forward but has been one of Edinburgh's most consistent players for 2/3 season.

Swinson is a work horse, isn't big enough to be a truly class lock but bags of energy and willingness.

Behind that 5, there's Kellock, Ryder and McKenzie.

Always liked the look of Adam Simclair for U20s too.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:45 pm

I'd like to think we're passed needing to pick Hamilton.

We have much better locks available, and the excuse of needing him for his lineout calling is no longer valid given Jonny and Grant calling lineout for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

So all that leaves Hamilton with is his 'aggression' and physicality - normally all that means is giving away stupid penalties.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 am

I don't think Hamilton's form with Sarries would justify his selection, and would hope that the three locks in the match day 23 would be Richie Gray, Jonny Gray and Grant Gilchrist. I almost don't care who starts and who goes on the bench. All strong options.

Pyrgos will have done himself a big favour at the weekend. Presume the squad will include Pyrgos, Laidlaw and Cusiter, but again I'm not hugely bothered about the order of those guys at the moment. Pyrgos would have been my 3rd choice but I thought he was outstanding against Bath, and Micky Young and Peter Stringer are no slouches.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 am

I just hope we've seen the last of ridiculous selections:

Wilson at 6
Lamont in the centre

etc.

The same article I quoted earlier with Alan Tait also suggeted VC might want to give Ryan Wilson another run out on the blind side.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!! furious

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:03 pm

SCOTLAND 2014 VIAGOGO AUTUMN TEST SQUAD

FORWARDS: Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Castres), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish), Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford (both Edinburgh Rugby), Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors), Grant Gilchrist CAPTAIN (Edinburgh Rugby), Robert Harley, Jonny Gray (both Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons), Kieran Low (London Irish), Euan Murray, Gordon Reid (both Glasgow Warriors) Alasdair Strokosch (USA Perpignan), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Chris Cusiter (Sale Sharks), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Dougie Fife, Tom Heathcote (both Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester), Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Finn Russell, Henry Pyrgos, Tommy Seymour (all Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors).

Invited to train with the squad: Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby).

Not considered through injury: David Denton (returning from injury, Edinburgh Rugby), Ryan Grant (returning from injury, Glasgow Warriors), Ruaridh Jackson (knee, London Wasps), Ross Rennie (knee, Bristol Rugby), Matt Scott (shoulder, Edinburgh Rugby), Jon Welsh, Ryan Wilson (both returning from injury, Glasgow Warriors).

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:11 pm

So we have the following options:

Hooker - Ford, S Lawson and F Brown

Prop - Reid, Cross, Dickinson, Murray

2nd row - Gilchrist, J Gray, R Gray, Swinson,

Flank - Cowan, Fusaro, Harley, Strokosh, K Low

8 - Beattie, Ashe

Scrum half - Cusiter, Laidlaw, Pyrgos

Fly half - Weir, Russell, Heathcote

Centre - Bennett, Dunbar, Taylor

Wing - S Lamont (13?), Maitland (15), Seymour, Visser and Fife (13)

Fullback - Hogg

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Gilchrist captain - wow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm

The absentees as far as I can see are Horne, Murchie, Tonks, Evans, Hamilton and Brown (maybe Barclay and Cuthbert).

Stroker is a suprise tbh

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Sooooooo....

No Kelly Brown, Peter Murchie, Jim Hamilton.

Still, it's not all bewilderment. Whisper it quietly, folks, but with two out-and-out 6s and two out-and-out 7s in that squad, we might have a genuinely balanced back row for this first time in living memory.

Oh wait, I forgot - Scott Johnson still thinks he's in charge, doesn't he. That means we'll have Harley at 6, Fusaro or Cowan at 7, and the remainder of the pack made up of John Barrowman, a tin of spaghetti hoops, an IKEA flat-pack bathroom shelf, a bowl of lemon rind, the theory of logical positivism, and that little pointy tool for getting your memory card out of an iPhone.

I don't like Mondays.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:25 pm

What is strokosh doing in there over Brown? He's playing 2nd division rugby!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Kelly not being there is the biggest shock for me too. He's gone from captain to emergency 7 cover, back to openside and regular starter for the Prem champions to Scotland squad also-ran... I bet he hates Scott Johnson with a passion.

My other concern is the lack of cover at 15 for Hogg. I don't like Maitland there and Murchie has been on good form.

Finally I think a few people, namely the Argies, will be rubbing their hands with glee that Big Jim has been left out.

Last edited by nickj on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:39 pm

I wonder if this spells the end of the squashed goblins international career?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:58 pm

So what is it that John Barclay has really done? You can't tell me he is not in that squad due to purely Rugby reasons!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:09 pm

This has got Scott Johnson written all over it. VC has been here long enough to make his own mind up though.

I think he's trying to make a statement here, I'm just now quite sure what it is. It's not as if he is saying 'out with the old, in with the new' as he's got Lawson, Strokosh and Lamont in there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Pretty staggering that Brown has been omitted for Strokosch, and I'd take Barclay (or Brown) over Low personally.

They've gone with Ashe ahead of Hogg which is a nod to the future but not so much the present in my opinion, and given the World Cup next year I'd have gone with Hogg.

Still, I'm pretty pleased with the rest of the squad, particularly the omission of Jim Hamilton. Nothing against him but we have better now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 pm

To be honest re: Scott Lawson the only other option is Pat MacArthur, who I would probably have gone with but not much in it.

Had Matt Scott been fit I suspect Sean Lamont would have missed out, but he's needed to cover the centre, although I'm sure Peter Horne will be disappointed.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 pm

More of a minor gripe, but a message I don't like being broadcast here is the selection of Alan Dell to train with the squad over Rory Sutherland. Sutherland has played more for Edinburgh and has played better for Edinburgh, yet Dell is invited to train with the squad because he's from South Africa!

I'm confident that Dell will come good and be a real prospect, but so will Sutherland and it is a slap in the face for him and really doesn't send out a good message to young Scottish players.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:More of a minor gripe, but a message I don't like being broadcast here is the selection of Alan Dell to train with the squad over Rory Sutherland.  Sutherland has played more for Edinburgh and has played better for Edinburgh, yet Dell is invited to train with the squad because he's from South Africa!

I'm confident that Dell will come good and be a real prospect, but so will Sutherland and it is a slap in the face for him and really doesn't send out a good message to young Scottish players.

+1. There is no rugby basis for that selection.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:More of a minor gripe, but a message I don't like being broadcast here is the selection of Alan Dell to train with the squad over Rory Sutherland.  Sutherland has played more for Edinburgh and has played better for Edinburgh, yet Dell is invited to train with the squad because he's from South Africa!

Although the selection of Fagerson does!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:12 pm

True, but there aren't really any young foreign SQ tightheads that have just arrived that he could be in competition against.

Just doesn't sit right with me that Dell was straight in there despite Sutherland performing better.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Will we ever see the Killer Bs again?  Sad

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Here's my stab at a matchday squad. I know it's a bit Glasgow-centric, particularly in the backs, but when you have such instinctive, I don't want to sacrifice that familiarity for the sake of inclusiveness.

Strangely, I'm wholly dissattisfied with our options at Number 8. With Strauss and Denton unavailable, Ashe showing potential but lacking experience, and Beattie playing in a losing team, I'm surprised at that there's no call up for Hogg. Does Cotter perhaps see Keiren Low at 8?

1. Reid
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gilchrist (c)
5. J Gray
6. Harley
7. Cowan
8. Beattie

9. Pyrgos
10. Russell
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

Substitutes:
16. Brown
17. Dickinson
18. Murray
19. R Gray
20. Fusaro
21. Cusiter
22. Weir
23. Fife
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:28 pm

IanBru wrote:Here's my stab at a matchday squad. I know it's a bit Glasgow-centric, particularly in the backs, but when you have such instinctive, I don't want to sacrifice that familiarity for the sake of inclusiveness.

Strangely, I'm wholly dissattisfied with our options at Number 8. With Strauss and Denton unavailable, Ashe showing potential but lacking experience, and Beattie playing in a losing team, I'm surprised at that there's no call up for Hogg. Does Cotter perhaps see Keiren Low at 8?

1. Reid
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gilchrist (c)
5. J Gray
6. Harley
7. Cowan
8. Beattie

9. Pyrgos
10. Russell
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

Substitutes:
16. Brown
17. Dickinson
18. Murray
19. R Gray
20. Fusaro
21. Cusiter
22. Weir
23. Fife

Can see Laidlaw on the bench (if he is not starting). With him covering 9/10 frees up one more space for a back.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Its an ok selection I suppose.

If we look at the bigger picture then Brown not being picked over Stroks isn't that big a concern as hopefully we'll be getting all three matches out of the ginger tackle monster!

Concern does still remain at lack of 15 cover! This is why I'd personally have gone with Tonks to cover 10 and 15 if needed!

The same can be said for No 8. If Beattie gets cabbaged early doors, we're left with an inexperienced player to carry the can himself!

The only changes I'd really make would be to have Ali Hogg in over Keiran Low (we don't need three opensides!) as he'd give cover for 6 and 8 and I'd possibly drop Poor old Slong and have tonks in to give us cover at 15
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:38 pm

I've been thinking about the Kelly Brown scenario.

If we want an out and out 7 (which VC seems to do)
- He's (KB) been playing at 6 for Saracens, not 7
- We have Cowan, Fusaro ... Hamish Watson, Roddy Grant. Fusaro is regularly playing 7 for Glasgow and all of these 4 IMO are more mobile.

If we were to play him at 6
- Rob Harley owns that position
- We already have the likes of Denton, and for the future, Strauss, Du Preez, Ashe etc that can play 6. This is an area of strength.

I just think KB doesn't quite fit. He's a good player but I'd rather have Harley at 6 and (ideally) Rennie, Watson in future at 7. I think he's been left out because he will play high intensity rugby with Sarries. Re Stroker, who knows how well he's doing. Get him in camp and see. If his form has dropped, he will be forgotten.

The fact we are not seeing Max Evans or Jim Hamilton, for me, signals that VC/SRU want to look 2,3,4 years ahead.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:40 pm

KB twitter

"Obviously I'm hugely disappointed not to make the Scotland squad,that's how it goes sometimes.Congrats to the guys chosen #makescotlandproud"

Can't really tell much, can you?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Pretty happy with the squad, with the exception of Kellybrows missing.

What is concerning is Rennie's knee is injured again, hopefully it's just a knock and not related to his previous injuries.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:44 pm

I think it is worth noting who they have named as injured players as well, who are obviously still very much in their thoughts going forward. That includes three more back row players; Wilson, Dents and Rennie and if you include Strauss in that mix probably explains why Brown, Hogg and Barclay have not been picked, as they are also in the pecking order as well.

Hogg would be a backward step, Ashe is playing well and is one for the future, though I doubt he will make the world cup squad. I am happy enough to see him in there for now though. Stroks and Low over Brown are a bit more controversial I guess but again I don't really see either going into the full world cup squad when the injured players come back. I think there is still an openside spot to play for though, Watson has not quite done enough to grab it yet, but they are clearly looking at him and quite rightly so. Fusaro, the jury still out as well, though he did play well on Saturday. Cowan looks like the man wearing the shirt for me just now though.

It is hard to see any way back for Kelly Brown really, baring a real rash of injuries. New coach, a new era and it looks like he is going to put the careers of several old servants, Evans, Hamilton, Barclay and Brown to bed. He may well be right and we have some younger and better options than them now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:46 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Pretty happy with the squad, with the exception of Kellybrows missing.

What is concerning is Rennie's knee is injured again, hopefully it's just a knock and not related to his previous injuries.

It could just be that they haven't updated the website. Rather like "Rory Lamont (Injured)", you just assume that Rennie is injured these days when it comes to internationals.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Some of those injured players are likely to be back playing Pro 12 games as well over the next few weeks. I would agree that there is no sense in trying to rush them back but if they do get a few games under their belts we could see them filling in a few gaps in the squad if there are any injuries, which I would imagine is likely looking at the opposition!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
IanBru wrote:Here's my stab at a matchday squad. I know it's a bit Glasgow-centric, particularly in the backs, but when you have such instinctive, I don't want to sacrifice that familiarity for the sake of inclusiveness.

1. Reid
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gilchrist (c)
5. J Gray
6. Harley
7. Cowan
8. Beattie

9. Pyrgos
10. Russell
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

Substitutes:
16. Brown
17. Dickinson
18. Murray
19. R Gray
20. Fusaro
21. Cusiter
22. Weir
23. Fife

Can see Laidlaw on the bench (if he is not starting). With him covering 9/10 frees up one more space for a back.  

Agreed, I think Laidlaw will start along with Weir, and either Cusiter or Pyrgos will be on the bench with Russell. I'd prefer Russell personally, but I think we'll see Weir in the 10 jersey.

I'd also switch Murray and Cross, but otherwise fine with that selection.

The back on the bench will be interesting. I'd be surprised if Visser missed out completely, but he's such a specialist left winger that he offers next to no versatility, so you'd be reliant on Maitland moving to fullback with Hogg covering centre in the event of an injury. Not ideal. Perhaps Horne covering 10 and 12 (with Dunbar being able to move to 13 were Bennett to be injured) would have been more attractive than Heathcote, who has been solid if unspectacular.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Pretty happy with the squad, with the exception of Kellybrows missing.

It could just be that they haven't updated the website. Rather like "Rory Lamont (Injured)", you just assume that Rennie is injured these days when it comes to internationals.

He has played for Bristol this season, I think they have been easing him back in after his injury at the end of last season. You do always get the impression that he is a player that will have to be carefully managed though and it is hard to imagine him having a really long career. This may be his only shot at a world cup place. I hope he gets his chance, he would be in my squad if fit.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:56 pm

His problem is that Cowan, Barclay, Watson and Fusaro are all starting in their respective XVs, playing at a higher level and playing pretty well.

His other problem is that Scott Johnson remains DoR and I suspect on some influence in matters of team selection, and he has little time for specialist openside flankers showing any form of talent.

When fit and on form Ross Rennie is an absolutely cracking talent, and I can't believe an Aviva side (or Glasgow) won't pick him up in the summer short of Bristol going up. In fact if Glasgow signed him you could almost guarantee that he would show up in the 1872 fixtures and win MOTM, with Allan a close second.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I can see all of the squad getting some game time. These are going to be three very attritional games and there are going to be some casualties. I imagine he is going to want to try out some combinations as well, particularly at half back. I don't imagine he knows what his best team is yet at all plus these games, three in three weeks is actually more akin to the world cup than the 6N. Injury and fatigue and the need to see how players perform will inevitably lead to a bit of rotation.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:08 pm

There are still a few conspiracy theories doing the rounds here. I can't say that there is anything much about that I have seen about VC to suggest he is not his own man. He is putting his name to this squad, let him run with it and see how they get on. Old favourites have been dumped here, there are world cup places up for grabs and it would appear that we do have reasonable depth in some positions. All good problems to have!

Players need to be under no illusions, if they do not perform then they are going to be out and not going to the world cup!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 pm

And the prize for understatement of the year goes to Vern Cotter...

Big Vern wrote:The All Blacks have just won the Rugby Championship and are the best team in the world, so we'll have to be on our toes.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:34 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:His problem is that Cowan, Barclay, Watson and Fusaro are all starting in their respective XVs, playing at a higher level and playing pretty well.

His other problem is that Scott Johnson remains DoR and I suspect on some influence in matters of team selection, and he has little time for specialist openside flankers showing any form of talent.

When fit and on form Ross Rennie is an absolutely cracking talent, and I can't believe an Aviva side (or Glasgow) won't pick him up in the summer short of Bristol going up. In fact if Glasgow signed him you could almost guarantee that he would show up in the 1872 fixtures and win MOTM, with Allan a close second.

The harsh reality is if you want to sign Rennie you may have to sign a physio as well and he wont come cheap.

For those who watched the Toulon-Scarlets game yesterday you will know what i mean when i say that Barclay's omission is just despicable. I would love if Glasgow still had him over Fusaro, i reckon they would be genuine title contender for the champions cup or whatever it is called.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Gilcrest as captain - didn't see that one coming. Tonks and Brown are very unlucky to miss out

this team looks good to me however. No stupid selections, balanced and plenty of pace out wide.

Lets hope VC sets the tactics to the strength of the teams - play it fast and loose - play the Glasgow way. We have the players to do this, we do not need our players made to play in a way that does not suit them. Laidlaw is cover for 9/10 in my book - Pyrgos and Cus will be the SHs.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm

I'm not sure about Gilchrist as captain. Is really better than both the Gray brothers? Does he deserve to be picked over either?

I would say he's not a certainty to be in the team. Jonny Gray is nailed on but the other lock position going to be interesting.

I hope we see a bit more of the Glasgow back 3. Seymour is EXCEPTIONAL with Maitland and Hogg hitting form (apart from the lapse against Bath).

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Out of the 3 I wouldn't mind who started, but I agree that they Gray brothers are probably our 2 best locks.

Maybe he wants the captain to be on the pitch for 80 minutes, and the next most obvious candidates (Cusiter and Laidlaw) usually get subbed off around the 60 minute mark?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:56 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:I'm not sure about Gilchrist as captain. Is really better than both the Gray brothers? Does he deserve to be picked over either?

I would say he's not a certainty to be in the team. Jonny Gray is nailed on but the other lock position going to be interesting.

I hope we see a bit more of the Glasgow back 3. Seymour is EXCEPTIONAL with Maitland and Hogg hitting form (apart from the lapse against Bath).

Well I would say he is nailed on now!

Actually I don't think it is that bad a choice. He is playing well for Edinburgh and has definitely made a difference since he came back from injury. I think the four locks picked are the form players, with Gray, Gray and Gilchrist at the front of the queue, they will all get game time. He is a new young captain who could really take Scotland forward and is not particularly tainted by some of the poor performances of the past.

In all honesty the other candidate was probably Johnny Gray, who is even younger and less experienced, though perhaps has even more potential longer term. Let him concentrate on his game at the moment and give Gilchrist his chance. I am hoping that this may be an inspired choice!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next