The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autumn Tests 2022 - South Africa to play Munster at the home of Cork GAA

5 posters

Go down

Autumn Tests 2022 - South Africa to play Munster at the home of Cork GAA Empty Autumn Tests 2022 - South Africa to play Munster at the home of Cork GAA

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 24 Aug 2022, 3:56 pm

Munster have confirmed they will host the Springboks this November as part of the world champions' northern hemisphere tour.

The province will face a 'South Africa Select XV' on Thursday 10 November, the venue for which is yet to be confirmed.

It's hoped the game can be played at Páirc Uí Chaoimh, with Munster hopeful of filling the GAA ground's 45,000 capacity.

And while it's expected the game will be green-lit for the Cork venue, Thomond Park would also be available to host the Springboks.

The game will reunite South Africa head coach Jacques Nienaber with the Munster supporters, after he spent 18 months working as the province's defence coach, alongside the Boks' current director of rugby Rassie Erasmus.

"Munster are a giant force in Ireland, and they will offer the SA Select XV exactly the type of test we need to build combinations and player depth as we prepare for the Rugby World Cup next year," Nienaber said.

Just as Ireland did on their tour of New Zealand, South Africa have arranged two midweek games on their northern hemisphere tour, in addition to four Test matches against Ireland, France, Italy and England.

After opening their campaign against Ireland on 5 November at the Aviva Stadium, a non-Test selection will face Munster, before taking on France in Marseille on two days later.

Their second midweek game against the Bristol Bears follows on Thursday 17 November, before further games with Italy and England.

"We have been working with a large squad this year so that we can give an expanded group of players a chance to stake a claim for places in the World Cup and beyond, and by facing top opposition such as Munster and Bristol, I have no doubt we will get some of the answers we need with the international extravaganza about a year away," Nienaber added.

Munster have never beaten South Africa, with the most recent of their three meetings coming in 1970 at Thomond Park.

Munster Rugby CEO Ian Flanagan said: "We are delighted to welcome South Africa back to the province for the first time in over fifty years and we are grateful to the IRFU and SARU for all of their assistance in making this happen."

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Autumn Tests 2022 - South Africa to play Munster at the home of Cork GAA Empty Re: Autumn Tests 2022 - South Africa to play Munster at the home of Cork GAA

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 24 Aug 2022, 3:59 pm

I like the idea of it, gives a bit of mid-week rugby to the masses. Allows SA to get game time for fringe players, etc.

Should clubs look into taking a match against 'tier 2' opponents in a similar vein?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Autumn Tests 2022 - South Africa to play Munster at the home of Cork GAA Empty Re: Autumn Tests 2022 - South Africa to play Munster at the home of Cork GAA

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 25 Aug 2022, 10:16 am

Seems strange to me that its always Munster that gets to play touring international sides albeit I think it was Connacht that last played SA in 2007.

Last time Leinster played a big SH side was Australia in 1992.

On a side note in the history of the European championships and the URC and various previous versions of such competitions there is only one side that Leinster has a negative against.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Thu 25 Aug 2022, 3:32 pm

Tbh, the three touring teams to Ireland should play one province each as warm ups. Can you imagine Fiji/Australia/South Africa running out at the Sportsground, the Kingspan, Thomond Park or the RDS.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 25 Aug 2022, 5:19 pm

Mid-week games at a club should be a huge event. I think these have the potential to help grow the sport and bring in more interest than the internationals do. Makes the international teams seem more local, if you will. These have not been very common for the last 20 years (by my imperfect reckoning) or so. Outside of adding another game to the load players carry each year, I can't see a reason why these shouldn't happen. Especially if player's game-loads can be managed and stay within reasonable limits.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 25 Aug 2022, 7:24 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Seems strange to me that its always Munster that gets to play touring international sides albeit I think it was Connacht that last played SA in 2007.

On a side note in the history of the European championships and the URC and various previous versions of such competitions there is only one side that Leinster has a negative against.
Toulon?

Leinster in effect get every Irish international with them being played in the Aviva. It makes sense to put mid week matches like this in other parts of the country

LeinsterFan4life

thebandwagonsociety and profitius like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 25 Aug 2022, 10:35 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Seems strange to me that its always Munster that gets to play touring international sides albeit I think it was Connacht that last played SA in 2007.

Toulon?

Leinster in effect get every Irish international with them being played in the Aviva. It makes sense to put mid week matches like this in other parts of the country

No Stade Francais actually but yeah that’s true about international games it would just be interesting to see how they would do against teams like SA.

Actually you’re right Toulon too, got that totally wrong.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down