The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 NBA Season

+5
Jermaine2015
Gerry SA
Lowlandbrit
kingraf
CJB
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2014 NBA Season  Empty 2014 NBA Season

Post by CJB Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:50 pm

http://cainjb94.sportsblog.com/posts/1161483/2014_2015_nba_team_by_team_season_preview.html

Who have you got for this season. Reckon if the Thunder stay healthy they win the Championship. Cavs win the East

CJB

Back to top Go down

2014 NBA Season  Empty Re: 2014 NBA Season

Post by Guest Sat 18 Oct 2014, 12:02 am

Nice blog. Didn't know Tyson Chandler returned to Dallas. Yeah, see the Cavaliers wiping the floor of the East, Indiana losing Paul George was a massive loss. I don't see Chicago doing much, as much as I love Rose, he doesn't look the same player. As for the West, it's again between the Spurs & the Thunder. Durant must win a ring this year, otherwise, he's surely got to be thinking about winning his first title elswhere. Be interesting to see the Clippers finally do something, maybe Griffin improving his shot might make some difference but I doubt it.

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sat 18 Oct 2014, 11:19 am

I agree with all of that basically. Think Indiana need to try and look at trades. That team hit it's celiing last year, it is probably my good enough

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:08 am

I'm going with the Clippers this year for the West. It's the year Blake Griffin goes nuclear. As for the East - a lot depends on how the Heat adapt, but I think they are still the best team there, if Wade can coax one more season out of himself.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Mon 20 Oct 2014, 3:24 pm

I cannot see Wade coaxing a season out of his body. He will have to do more. I think teams will be physical with him. He won't be able to so as much as last year. I think Bosh and McRoberts will see spacing problems. They are weak at point guard, I expect Napier to emerge there. Deng and Bosh will struggle and pull this team to the 8 seed I reckon

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 20 Oct 2014, 9:01 pm

Cole and Chalmers are plenty decent PGs. Neither of them are Irving-Paul level, but they are pretty good, and compliment well. Bosh is also an underrated playmaker as is Bosh. If the Heat stay healthy, I'm definitely backing them.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Mon 20 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

Genuinely think whoever starts could be worst starting point guard in league other than Collison.

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:22 am

Come on mate. Chalmers is probably the poorer of the two, but even he isn't bottom tier.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Tue 21 Oct 2014, 9:42 am

Who is worse?
Darren Collison and I cannot think of another

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:05 pm

Mo Williams for one
Ray Felton?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Oct 2014, 10:18 am

Steve Nash, 40, out for the season & now Julious Randle has broken his leg. Not looking good for the LA Lakers. Good opening wins for the Spurs & Houston.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 29 Oct 2014, 6:17 pm

John wrote:Not looking good for the LA Lakers.
http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-lakers-will-play-terrible-basketball-on-purpose-1646396323/all
http://deadspin.com/oh-man-the-lakers-are-in-big-big-trouble-1652192800/all

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 29 Oct 2014, 7:30 pm

I liked Nash back in the day, but the Lakers have successfully committed franchise suicide in the last three years. Between releasing Gasol, giving Kobe a max, and adding Nash, the front desk has had a proper selection of brain fades. In any other non American sport, where finances aren't so fairly distributed, and there was no wage split, it would be a long way back for them
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm

Offensive Leaders to date
PPG - Kobe Bryant
Assists - Rajon Rondo

Defensive Leaders to date
Blocks - Anthony Davis
Rebounds - DeAndre Jordan
Steals - Anthony Davis

Western Conference Leaders
Memphis 10W 1L
Houston 9W 2L

Eastern Conference Leaders
Toronto 8W 2L
Washington 7W 2L

Still early in the season, but it looks like the Lakers are in trouble, currently bottom of the Western Conference, despite Kobe's efforts. Oklahoma are third from bottom in the West, they need Durant back ASAP. In the East, New York are struggling with 3W & 8L record, while LeBron & Cleveland sit fourth in the standings with a 5W & 4L record.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:22 pm

Well... I did say the Lakers were committing franchise suicide.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:39 pm

I wonder if 'Queen' LeBron James is enjoying his return to Cleveland...

0-3 in last three games and 5-6 for the season.

A lot harder to be 'the greatest' when not surrounded to HoFs...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm

Still early, not judging the Cavs after eleven games. It's all about chemistry & getting the offense/defence working & balanced. It will take time to adjust for LeBron & Kevin Love & understanding everyone's roles. Anyway, I'm more interested in how this team has gelled & is playing come the Play-offs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 23 Nov 2014, 1:02 am

John wrote:Still early, not judging the Cavs after eleven games. It's all about chemistry & getting the offense/defence working & balanced. It will take time to adjust for LeBron & Kevin Love & understanding everyone's roles. Anyway, I'm more interested in how this team has gelled & is playing come the Play-offs.
Should be another tough game for the Cavs tonight against the Raptors.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 23 Nov 2014, 9:23 am

First port of call for the Cavs is to make playoffs. They'll back themselves against any team from the East over seven games.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sun 30 Nov 2014, 2:27 am

Yeah kinda makes sense if James gets the team playing better basketball then they beat everyone In that conference over 7 games

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:43 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks and Oklahoma City Thunder engineered a multifaceted six-player trade Monday night.

As part of the deal, Dion Waiters goes to the Thunder, J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert go to the Cavs and three players with nonguaranteed contracts -- Alex Kirk and Lou Amundson from the Cavs and Lance Thomas from the Thunder -- join the Knicks. Also, the Thunder are sending a protected future first-round draft pick to the Cavs, who are sending their 2019 second-round pick to the Knicks.

Interesting trades

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 07 Jan 2015, 8:53 pm

I've always liked Shumpert, good team player, hasn't been the same since the knee blew, but if gets back to his best he's a good player. Heat should be relieved to rid themselves of Waiters not very good. Taking a second round draft pick in 2019 seems the American sport equivalent of sending a message in a bottle into the ocean.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm

The Knicks just lost a quarter 41-13 against the Hornets picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 12 Jan 2015, 10:30 pm

Cleveland have a 2-8 record in their last 10 matches, including 0-5 in last 5 matches. LeBron James has been injured for most of this recent losing streak, but he's set to return against the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday. Cleveland went from 17-11(.607) to 19-19(.500) in quick time.

Can't see 'Queen' James ever winning a ring with Cleveland and I wouldn't be too shocked if he hightailed it back to Miami in 2015-16(unlikely) or 2016-17(probable).

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 13 Jan 2015, 9:01 pm

LeBron claimed he's never leaving again, and while I'm sure if push comes to shove, he'll get his skates on, I don't think it's time for such yet. He probably knew when he left that there was a chance this might be a "bedding in" season, and made the jump knowing he was moving to a low end team. Think 16-17 is only possible if two things happen next season
- an appealing season, missed playoff, or first round blowout
- he feels management don't have the desire to buy championship calibre pieces (why he left Miami).
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 13 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm

kingraf wrote:LeBron claimed he's never leaving again, and while I'm sure if push comes to shove, he'll get his skates on, I don't think it's time for such yet. He probably knew when he left that there was a chance this might be a "bedding in" season, and  made the jump knowing he was moving to a low end team. Think 16-17 is only possible if two things happen next season
- an appealing season, missed playoff, or first round blowout
- he feels management don't have the desire to buy championship calibre pieces (why he left Miami).
But the key aspect is will James have the longevity of a Kobe Bryant(before the injury last year) or Tim Duncan?

History suggests after the age of 30, which James reached turned, his style of game burns out quicker.

Staying with Cleveland, will he win Rings 3, 4, 5 & 6 to equal the Greatest Player of All Time? IMO there's no chance he can win 4 championships with the Cavs. And most importantly he CAN'T win 6 period.

If he really wants to build another franchise up, surely LA Lakers would be the best bet? Kobe's done after 2015-16. Steve Nash is done at the end of 2014-15. History suggests, rightfully, that the Lakers will win championships in the future.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 14 Jan 2015, 6:23 pm

I think you're over thinking it, tbh. I'm not even sure that players are particularly desperate to get to six rings. LeBron wouldn't have left the #2 team in the country for maybe 20th if it was all about ring hunting. You've got to factor in being close to home (tick), playing in front of adoring fans (tick), with your best friends (Mike Miller - tick) for a lot of money (tick). It wouldnt even make you the winngest player in NBA history... Need eleven for that. The number six is just a media construct to give players a "target". whether Tim Duncan gets to six, or stopped at four it wouldn't change the fact that he's definitely top three power forwards all time, and most likely #1. Even Jordan couldn't have been too determined to get to six, given the fact that he took a year off to try out basketball.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 14 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

kingraf wrote:I think you're over thinking it, tbh. I'm not even sure that players are particularly desperate to get to six rings. LeBron wouldn't have left the #2 team in the country for maybe 20th if it was all about ring hunting. You've got to factor in being close to home (tick), playing in front of adoring fans (tick), with your best friends (Mike Miller - tick) for a lot of money (tick). It wouldnt even make you the winngest player in NBA history... Need eleven for that. The number six is just a media construct to give players a "target". whether Tim Duncan gets to six, or stopped at four it wouldn't change the fact that he's definitely top three power forwards all time, and most likely #1. Even Jordan couldn't have been too determined to get to six, given the fact that he took a year off to try out basketball.
Jordan's legacy was secure after achieving his 1991-1993 '3 peat'. The Bulls where an average franchise which Jordan put on the map. His second '3 peat' merely confirmed that Jordan had no equal.

As for James leaving Miami, they where a side heading on the down slope. D-Wade is injury prone. Chris Bosh is also getting more injuries. James(along with Kobe) have always stated they want to surpass Jordan. Unless James gets a ring with Cleveland, he'll not have achived what Jordan did with the Bulls.

Anyway the Cavs lost again last night(James played). 6 straight defeats(1-9 in last 10 matches). Dropping below .500(.487).

James can't carry the Cavs.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 14 Jan 2015, 9:18 pm

That is a laughable assertion. Jordan was busy being manhandled by the Bad Boys throughout the 80s. The Bulls couldn't see the wood from the trees till the Bad Boys self imploded. To claim Jordan had some "Road to Damascus" type change before or after the Pistons died out is an unnecessary attempt to build on a myth. Jordan also had a very good Scottie Pippen helping him out. The Bulls went 55-27 the season Jordan played baseball, the Heat will be lucky to break even this year. The Bulls weren't just an "average team" without Jordan. They were a very good team, and he was the key piece. It's like claiming Barcelona are average without Messi. The second three peat had freaking Dennis Rodman. That's three all star players. Being a previously average franchise is a disingenuous statement in basketball, the very make up of NBA assists franchises with no history, or allure. The Clippers literally grew from nothing to be one of the top ten teams in the league. The Thunder rose from the Ashes of a distinctly nothing Sonics to make NBA finals in six years. Even the Heat were nowhere before Wade had an inspired 2006.

It was a transitioning team, but a Heat with LeBron is still better than a Cavaliers with him, this wasn't a percentage decision, you can't play it off as such. I've never read James say he wants to win six rings, I've only ever read James put a number on how many once, and that was quite clearly pep rally talk.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 14 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm

kingraf wrote:That is a laughable assertion. Jordan was busy being manhandled by the Bad Boys throughout the 80s. The Bulls couldn't see the wood from the trees till the Bad Boys self imploded. To claim Jordan had some "Road to Damascus" type change before or after the Pistons died out is an unnecessary attempt to build on a myth. Jordan also had a very good Scottie Pippen helping him out. The Bulls went 55-27 the season Jordan played baseball, the Heat will be lucky to break even this year. The Bulls weren't just an "average team" without Jordan. They were a very good team, and he was the key piece. It's like claiming Barcelona are average without Messi. The second three peat had freaking Dennis Rodman. That's three all star players. Being a previously average franchise is a disingenuous statement in basketball, the very make up of NBA assists franchises with no history, or allure. The Clippers literally grew from nothing to be one of the top ten teams in the league. The Thunder rose from the Ashes of a distinctly nothing Sonics to make NBA finals in six years. Even the Heat were nowhere before Wade had an inspired 2006.

It was a transitioning team, but a Heat with LeBron is still better than a Cavaliers with him, this wasn't a percentage decision, you can't play it off as such. I've never read James say he wants to win six rings, I've only ever read James put a number on how many once, and that was quite clearly pep rally talk.
You mean the Shaq effect inspired the Heat...but I'll let you off Hug

Scottie Pippen obviously made a different for the Bulls. No one man team has ever won the NBA championships. But James had Bosh and Wade for his '2 peat'.

As for the Bad Boys, ever cycle has it course. Isiah Thomas' wrist surgery in 1991 saw to that.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm

So Cleveland finally ended their 6 game losing streak against the Los Angeles Lakers. LeBron was at his best, albeit against a terrible Lakers side. Cleveland face the Clippers tonight. Big test.

Read an interesting piece earlier comparing Kobe's woes with the current Lakers side and James' woes with the current Cleveland side. Basically the article wrote that when James looks at Kobe, he sees what the Cavs could become.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 17 Jan 2015, 9:17 pm

Cavaliers made it two straight wins after beating the Clippers 126-121 in a high scoring match. Cleveland now 21-20. .512 win rate.

Elsewhere Oklahoma beat the NBA's leading side Golden State 127-115. Russell Westbrook got his first triple double of the season. Golden States 8 game winning streaked ended in style.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 23 Jan 2015, 10:55 pm

Haven't posted on here this week as I've missed most of the games due to work, but Cleveland have won 4 straight and are now 23-20(0.535).

Kobe Byrant has suffered a suspected torn rotator cuff will is expected to miss the remainder of the season. Lakers are in terminal decline.

Elsewhere the NBA All Star teams where announced.

Eastern Conference All-Start starters:
John Wall - Washington Wizards
Kyle Lowry - Toronto Raptors
LeBron James - Cleveland Cavaliers
Pau Gasol - Chicago Bulls
Carmelo Anthony - New York Knicks

Western Conference All-Star starters:
Steph Curry - Golden State Warriors
*Kobe Bryant - Los Angeles Lakers*(injured replacement TBC)
Marc Gasol - Memphis Grizzlies
Blake Griffin - Los Angeles Clippers
Anthony Davis - New Orleans Pelicans

Interestingly Steph Curry was the most voted player.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:08 am

Kobe getting injured was inevitable, with him carrying the Lakers. I know the ALL STAR votes are public, however, Carmelo being involved is laughable after the season he's had, but it's being held in New York, so hardly surprising. Good to see Curry surge past the King & gain the most votes.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

Klay Thomas of the Golden State Warriors went Berserk yesterday. 37 points on 13 for 13 shooting. Nine three pointers. These make great match stats... but that was all in a quarter.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:34 pm

My boy D-Rose hit the OT winning throw for the Chicago Bulls to snap Golden State Warriors 17 match home winning streak. The Bulls where 4-5 in previous 9 matches(many of which Joakim Noah missed). This victory should kick start their momentum again.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:17 pm

Love Rose. He had strange stats for that game though, he's getting back to his best though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 29 Jan 2015, 7:41 pm

Had it not been for injuries, it could've been D-Rose everyone was talking about and not 'Queen' James. 

That aside Kobe Byrant has undergone shoulder surgery and will be out for 9 months. Lakers in real decline. Steve Nash is out of contract at the end of this season. Bryant is also coming to the end.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

Nash is done, great player, but time to call it a day. Lakers throwing near 10m dollars his way this year. At least they've got a good draft slot coming up & free agency is showing some good options, even Marc Gasol would be a nice addition. Then there is Durant, surely the heir to Kobe?

As for the Bulls, how far you think they can go? Rose & Noah must be 100% you feel, if they are to make an impression in the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:55 pm

John wrote:Nash is done, great player, but time to call it a day. Lakers throwing near 10m dollars his way this year. At least they've got a good draft slot coming up & free agency is showing some good options, even Marc Gasol would be a nice addition. Then there is Durant, surely the heir to Kobe?

As for the Bulls, how far you think they can go? Rose & Noah must be 100% you feel, if they are to make an impression in the playoffs.
Think Lakers biggest mistake was letting Pau go TBH. He's bossing it for the Bulls. Lakers need a couple of top draw signings. Durrant if he can stay fit and yes Marc Gasol would be a great signing.

As for the Bulls it all depends on Rose, Noah and Pau. Both Rose and Noah have suffered from injuries this season, but if the big three stay 100%, a run to the finals is more than possible. But winning the championships is still missing that 5%.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:07 am

Can't see Durant leaving the OKC. Don't want it to happen either. I love watching him and Westbrook together. The success of that partnership defies convention, and it would be brilliant if they capped it with a ring
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

Gerry SA wrote:My boy D-Rose hit the OT winning throw for the Chicago Bulls to snap Golden State Warriors 17 match home winning streak. The Bulls where 4-5 in previous 9 matches(many of which Joakim Noah missed). This victory should kick start their momentum again.
So much for Chicago getting their act together after beating Golden State. Chicago lost to the undermanned Los Angeles Lakers in a double OT finish.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:27 pm

This is the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the Chicago Bulls this season, unfortunately

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 10:34 pm

Reading the previous posts I see Rose was mentioned as being better than James by another poster.

John - to use your term 'Jekyll and Hyde', that sums up Rose pretty well. He was awful last night. Can't believe that this is the same Rose whom became MVP aged 22.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sat 31 Jan 2015, 2:40 pm

No one mentioning Atlanta on here really. Best team in the league!

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 31 Jan 2015, 2:59 pm

It is a little criminal how little they've been mentioned. I suspect it's down to two things
- they aren't really one of the big franchises
- They don't really have a noteworthy storyline (other than being top of course)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat 31 Jan 2015, 10:19 pm

Surprised no one mentioned Kyrie Irving's 55 point game against Portland on Wednesday night. Cavaliers 99 beat Trailblazers 94.

Irving contributed 55 out of Cleveland's 99. This was a game James didn't play.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:54 pm

Cleveland have really upped their game in the last 2/3 weeks. Currently on a 12 game winning streak, having improved from 19-20(.487) to 31-20(.608) Currently third in Eastern conference. They are the hottest team in the league at present.

Atalanta 41-9(.820) continue to the lead the way though, with Golden State keeping them honest 39-8(.830).

Chicago have slumped badly with big problems in that back court.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:26 pm

Chicago are a mess defensively, Thibodeau coming under pressure. The Cavaliers were always going to press the accelerator at some point. Once the team understood each other's game & roles, you knew they were in business.

In other news, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said he's open to revamping the current playoff structure, by eliminating conference seeding and instead going with the league's 16 best teams. The Western Conference has had a decided edge over the Eastern Conference for quite some time, especially this season, with it having 10 of the league's best 16 records.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 07 Feb 2015, 9:13 am

Interesting. I'm not necessarily against it. But there is a "not broke don't fix it" element to it
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next