The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

+37
banbrotam
CAS
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
Henman Bill
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
greengoblin
dummy_half
slashermcguirk
Chazfazzer
DirectView2
lags72
Johnyjeep
MrInvisible
bogbrush
coolpixel
Haddie-nuff
Silver
Calder106
Danny_1982
Mad for Chelsea
It Must Be Love
hawkeye
summerblues
CaledonianCraig
Born Slippy
FedsFan
kingraf
The Special Juan
socal1976
laverfan
erictheblueuk
temporary21
Jahu
LuvSports!
sirfredperry
41 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 16 Empty World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:48 am

First topic message reminder :

So the ATPs premier showpiece event hits the O2 on Sunday. The sixth showing at the O2 and yielded only 3 different winners. Very interesting this year. 3 virgin qualifiers in Cillic, Raonic and Nishikori. Can we see a new winner? Can Nishikori and Raonic win the biggest title of their careers to date? Federer will have an eye on the DC like his compatriot Wawrinka, though he is woefully out of form of late. Has Murray much left in the tank to win his first title here at the O2? Can Berdych do a Davydenko and strike out of nowhere? Will it be a routine Djokovic victory?

For me the 2 that qualify from each group will be:

Group A

1) Djokovic
2) Raonic

Group B

1) Murray
2) Federer

Djokovic/Murray final

Winner: Djokovic

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Uh oh break to love for Novak. Is this gonna be another rr thumping ?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:23 pm

This isn't fair. Fed and Novak are way too far ahead of the pack berdychs having to celebrate points here not games

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:27 pm

With Berych broken twice already I wonder if Djoko is going for the double bagel that just eluded Fed. As I write, Djoko has actually lost a point.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:28 pm

This is like bringing a pillow to a gun fight. 4-0 very routine clap
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:31 pm

F@ck me. Him and roger better not slip up in the semis I wanna see these 2 clash like neo and agent smith. I can't play this well in topspin and I've played that game for 5 years

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:35 pm

temporary21 wrote: Him and roger better not slip up in the semis I wanna see these 2 clash like neo and agent smith.
I'm trying not to build it up too much in my mind but a Federer v Djokovic final could be an absolute scorcher.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 pm

The Djok is pretty much the only man who's been able to even crack 50% first serves this week consistently - could be the difference in the end. I've got no idea why everyone else is struggling so much on serve indoors!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 pm

He's coming to the net more than federer right now. It's glorious tbh

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:00 pm

Watching the tour finals this week has been like watching that bit in Space Jam when the NBA players have their talent taken away; the standard has just been so awful. You would struggle to believe these guys are top 800 in the world at times, let alone top 8.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:07 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
temporary21 wrote: Him and roger better not slip up in the semis I wanna see these 2 clash like neo and agent smith.
I'm trying not to build it up too much in my mind but a Federer v Djokovic final could be an absolute scorcher.

I hope so too, but something tells me that both at their absolute top level might just pass this clash by Sad depending of course on how they play their respective SF's.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Berdych's movement is so slow that he cannot put Djoko under any pressure. This tournament seems to get worse and worse.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Another one sided match it seems.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:13 pm

The way Djoko is playing it could be that even Fed won't give him much of a match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Well, that was comprehensive. Well done Novak, never lost focus. I fear for Kei!

temporary21 wrote:He's coming to the net more than federer right now. It's glorious tbh

Laugh

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:25 pm

A mangling. The number one for sure

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Fed could beat him but he won't get freedom to play like yesterday. He'll need pitch perfect volleying and much higher first serves to debt this. Or hope Novak drops ofc

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Novak joins Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl, John McEnroe and Rafael Nadal in the group of players who have finished the year #1 three times or more.

The best thing about following Djokovic in this stage of his career is seeing his achievements gradually elevate him into groups populated by such good players.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Are Federer and Djokovic going to have to return some of their fees? I mean, Novaks's lost 9 games and Roger 13. That's one winning the average set 6-1.5 and the other 6-2.1

At least someone's got to lose games eventually; Hopefully Kei and Stan (probably) put up more of a scrap but otherwise the immovable object and the irresistible force will meet on Sunday.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Just quickly, is group B set now? Or is there a chance Berdy might still take the second spot?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Another snoozefest from the choker and Berdbrain. How the heck Berdych is no 7 with atrocious backhand and movement I really don't know. So much for the 'golden era'. The only thing worth watching Berdych matches for is the few shots of his delightful wife. Possibly the finest on tour?

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:04 pm

bogbrush wrote:the immovable object and the irresistible force will meet on Sunday.
A metaphor that fits their respective styles rather snugly!

This tournament is like a microcosm of the "Golden Era™" of recent years - excellent from the top players but utterly unremarkable from everyone else.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:05 pm

greengoblin wrote: The only thing worth watching Berdych matches for is the few shots of his delightful wife.
They did seem to keep returning to a certain camera angle...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:06 pm

temporary21 wrote:Just quickly, is group B set now? Or is there a chance Berdy might still take the second spot?

If Stan wins, he is through. If he loses, the direct h2h between Berdych v Wawrinka is in Stan's favor.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Djokovic looks scary good.

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 16 ZIIz389
World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 16 Gc5yBY6

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:13 pm

bogbrush wrote:the immovable object and the irresistible force will meet on Sunday.
Well they were meant to meet on a certain Sunday back in September but they weren't quite immovable or irresistible back then.

Just heard Greg talking on Sky. He says the ATP needs to have a bigger contrast in surfaces so the best players don't win so easily Laugh

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:33 pm

hawkeye wrote:Just heard Greg talking on Sky. He says the ATP needs to have a bigger contrast in surfaces so the best players don't win so easily Laugh

Contrast it with this ATP decision, where they wanted the stars to contest finals so more revenue could come in to ATP coffers.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/t...o/1179715.html

and a poor Google translate says...

The ATP decided that from next year the synthetic carpet disappear and all indoor tournaments must be hard-surfaced, prompting denials from several players. Surprisingly, ATP was determined to eliminate the artificial carpet on the international calendar after unifying all indoor tennis tournaments and must be covered by a hard surface, as was done for this year's Masters Series is being held in Paris and Madrid earlier. However, this measure was controversial among many players for favors those who need a slower court.

"It's a shame that these super fast surfaces disappear. Let's play a tennis where the most important thing will have four lungs and not the variety of shots. It is said that this is given by order of Federer and Nadal. It's amazing. So if Nadal calls a day are all tournaments on clay, what will, "he complained, laughing Jo Wilfried Tsonga.

On the side of the ATP, communications director Kris Dent found in the French sports daily L'Equipe that the change was agreed with the 50 best players on the circuit. "The change was decided for different reasons, but the most important is to adopt homogeneous surfaces, thus reducing the risk of injury," Dent said.

ATP looking to this decision that the game becomes more attractive and has less points earned by aces. "Physical force kills the talent," said the Romanian Ion Tiriac, Madrid Masters promoter. But the Croatian Mario Ancic not match that. "I'm against this change. You can not unify all surfaces because of the quality of the game. If you want players to develop all his shots, you need to play on faster surfaces, otherwise the game will be very boring," said .

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Good find LF but depressing findings!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:26 pm

picard ATP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Silver wrote:The Djok is pretty much the only man who's been able to even crack 50% first serves this week consistently - could be the difference in the end. I've got no idea why everyone else is struggling so much on serve indoors!

Jimmy Arias on Tennis Channel yesterday was saying the players are complaining about the new blue lights the O2 or tourney is using to light up the crowd during play. In the past, the crowd was dark and was a great backdrop for serving. He says the new blue is strange and making it harder to track and time the balls- esp during serve.

Makes sense as clearly something was changed that has had an effect on nearly everyone's serving.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:02 pm

So Stan to win tonight and play with Fed?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Yeah colic doesn't look up to snuff

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Stan can lose and qualify for the semi's if he makes more than 4 games.

Cilic can qualify if he beats Stan 6-2 6-1

Berdych can qualify if Cilic beats Stan say 6-2 6-2.

If Cilic beats Stan 6-2 6-2 score line then all 3 might have equal wins and and equal games won and equal matches won among the 3, making the scenario very interesting.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:20 pm

So Im guessing Stan is qualified, no chance for him to not win 4 games.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Pretty sure I heard that the total attendances/advanced ticket sales for this week at the O2 are a record for ANY indoor tournament.

On my one & only visit (a few years ago) I was certainly impressed with the overall set-up & atmosphere. But I can't help wonder whether this disappointing succession of heavily one-sided (and very short-lived) RR matches will adversely affect ticket sales at next year's WTF. ......  chin

Will the same number of people be happy to shell out cash on a day or night session that might amount to little more than 50 minutes or so of barely competitive, uninspiring singles tennis .....? (even if each session does include a doubles match)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:46 pm

Well thats the risk I guess, they dont know it beforehand, I think they also get a doubles match. Its like a boxing match, you go out pay what 60 quid or soo, and you may see just 2 minutes of actual boxing

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 pm

temporary21 wrote:Well thats the risk I guess, they dont know it beforehand, I think they also get a doubles match. Its like a boxing match, you go out pay what 60 quid or soo, and you may see just 2 minutes of actual boxing
I also imagine cosmopolitan London wont remember whatsoever

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Yep, I guess the crowds will be back next year in the same numbers.

Although I'm not so sure it's a matter of our capital being such a cosmopolitan city. More the fact that sport is generally about optimism and a sense of hope that the next match/event will be better than the last .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:06 pm

As far as Fed plays and Moët keeps him happy there will be crowds at O2 Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Jahu wrote:As far as Fed plays and Moët keeps him happy there will be crowds at O2 Laugh

I don't know maybe most of those advance sales were hoping to see Rafa?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:28 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Jahu wrote:As far as Fed plays and Moët keeps him happy there will be crowds at O2 Laugh

Hmm.......  chin

"Most" of them ....?? You really think so ....?

I think that would be surprising, given his comparatively unimpressive W/L record of 13-11 at such a big event.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:34 pm

hawkeye wrote:

HE, stop flirting with me.

Does that make us 2 people talking unreal stuff? Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Heavens above.

We actually have a 3 setter tonight .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Cilic doing a favour to Fed, making Stan work hard, sure the cash for the win is good to.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:44 pm

^ That should soften up Stan nicely for Federer tomorrow.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 pm

Yeah and lets hope Ninja gives us a USO SF performance and beat Djoko.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:49 pm

hawkeye wrote:^ That should soften up Stan nicely for Federer tomorrow.

Wasn't there a time when you used to pretend to be a Federer fan?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:50 pm

Cilic has even copied the hand motion of a serve from Goran.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Djokovic will be first up tomorrow. Could be important if Federer-Wawrinka goes three sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Is final on Monday or Sunday?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:59 pm

emancipator wrote:
hawkeye wrote:^ That should soften up Stan nicely for Federer tomorrow.

Wasn't there a time when you used to pretend to be a Federer fan?

I am a Federer fan but he is an old man and may need a bit of help.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next