The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heart

+7
Mr Bounce
wheelchair1991
Boydinho
milkyboy
ONETWOFOREVER
John Bloody Wayne
AdamT
11 posters

Go down

Heart Empty Heart

Post by AdamT Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:10 pm

For me its the greatest aspect to any sportsman or even any man on every day life.

Its true that skills and physical tools are seen as the main attributes but I admire any guy with heart. Some see it as foolish but for me there is nothing more admirable when someone is up against it but will never give up and push themselves to there limits each and every time. Boxing are full of these fighters and they are the unsung heros. They may not be multiple division champions but guys like Mickey Ward, Auturro Gatti,Michael Katsidis to name a few are what makes the sport so great.

These type of guys always leave everything in the ring and win or lose I admire that. Though I love to watch the more skilled fighters for their talents and finesse, for me it is still hard to beat watching a fighter with an immense spirit and courage lay everything down. This is what boxing is about at least for me,character!Apologies for the long thread

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Heart Empty Re: Heart

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 08 Nov 2014, 1:04 am

Or as Chris would call it, "a footnote."

It's definitely the quality in fighters that create the Rocky turn arounds that make great fights. I'll shamelessly take a low quality, high desire war over a Mayweather master class, not gonna lie.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:26 am

More fun to watch. Sometimes to less skilled warriors going at it with no quit in them is what makes the sport exciting.

Watched a fight the other night, can't mind who it was, no body particularly famous but both guys went toe to toe. It really was back and forth and exciting as hell.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:52 am

Great article

My fav example of heart might surprise people

Chavez v Randell.

It was not a blood and guts behind the scores win but the fact that Frankie Randell went into a pro Chavez pro Mexican arena and skilfully beat, at the time, a living legend and icon to a whole nation in Chavez who had a fearsome reputation

Chavez was 18 - 1 favorite with a 89 0 1 record and the main attraction at the MGM grand opening night. Countless damaged opponents lay in his wake yet Randell was not intimidated and went into the lions den an underdog but left the winner after putting in 1 of the greatest title challenges ever imo. He even put Chavez on his backside for the first time.

Randell had a game plan and stuck to it and that takes a lot of heart to not just beat THEE champion but beat him well.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 08 Nov 2014, 1:04 pm

Just seen that fight recently and agree fully.

Boxing has great history of people showing grit and coming through against the odds.I fully respect anybody who puts themselves through the torture of training and gives their all in the ring.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 08 Nov 2014, 1:08 pm

Interesting that the theme seems to be associating heart with less skilled fighters. You'd struggle to find guys with more heart than Ali, Robinson and Leonard. Infact, it's what separated them from the pack.

On the flip side, the face first fighters like ward and gatti still had very good careers... it takes real courage to take beatings and keep on coming, lose, get back in the ring next time knowing what's coming your way. There are plenty of journeymen with real heart.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 08 Nov 2014, 2:05 pm

Just love to see a guy who never knew he was beat and had no quit. Ali vs Frazier was for me the greatest trilogy. 2 heavyweight warriors who believed they were better than the other, going at it and leaving everything in the ring.

The 3rd fight demonstrated both guys refusal to lose and their courage and ultimately both guys were never the same again after that fight. They both were already on the decline and that mixed with their deep competitive natures gave us one of, if not the most brutal and greatest fights in Heavyweight history.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Boydinho Sun 09 Nov 2014, 4:16 am

Will always remember a great example; when Danny Williams fought the last round with a dislocated right shoulder, behind on the cards and somehow managed to know his opponent (can't remember who) out!

Boydinho

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:53 am

Think his name was danny potter could be wrong

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm

Wheelchair - close! It was Mark Potter. And that was one of the most amazing bits of courage and luck that I have ever seen in a boxing ring. How gutted must Mark Potter have felt afterwards though - getting poleaxed by someone with one working arm. Take note Vitali... Whistle

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm

Yip, great heart, but unless you feel like your career is at last chance saloon, not particularly smart.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:13 pm

Agreed Raf sometimes heart rules head. On the flip side I remember the abuse Ortiz got for the Maidana fight and Also Vitali vs Byrd.

Vitali proved his bravery in the Lewis fight and redeemed himself to the critics.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 1:57 pm

Ortiz doesnt seem to have the guts to be a boxer having said that i respect anyone who gets in the ring

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:55 pm

Bernard Hopkins v Sergey Kovalev. Knew he was gonna lose but refused to do it on the floor and stuck around in the last round under a barrage of heavy artillery. His home planet will be proud

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 3:17 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Wheelchair - close! It was Mark Potter. And that was one of the most amazing bits of courage and luck that I have ever seen in a boxing ring. How gutted must Mark Potter have felt afterwards though - getting poleaxed by someone with one working arm. Take note Vitali... Whistle

Remember seeing it..............What kind of useless meat head manages to lose that fight...........What a wally.......Get back on that nightclub door..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:23 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Wheelchair - close! It was Mark Potter. And that was one of the most amazing bits of courage and luck that I have ever seen in a boxing ring. How gutted must Mark Potter have felt afterwards though - getting poleaxed by someone with one working arm. Take note Vitali... Whistle

Audley did the same against Sprott with one hand, he has the heart of a lion bar, sweet with caramel in the middle.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 10 Nov 2014, 7:25 pm

Mitch Prince showed tremendous heart against bradley saunders, catch the fight on youtube if you haven't watched it.

Bradley is one best prospects in the country.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down