The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight???

+7
azania
HumanWindmill
Colonial Lion
fearlessBamber
captain carrantuohil
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight??? Empty Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 12:48 pm

Generally regarded as the fight of the decade and one of the best of alltime...but when you look at it..it was basically a great round of Boxing with two rounds where the winner (cut aside) was never in doubt..

Can a round make a great fight....Have my reservations...

For me the see saw Hearns-Leonard and Duran-Leonard (montreal) battles as well as Cruz-mcguigan were great fights....

Tough one for me but was...

Hagler and Hearns really a great fight or just like Garza-Meza..Mancini-Frias just one of them wonderful rounds in Boxing history!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight??? Empty Re: Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight???

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 26 May 2011, 12:54 pm

If i'm being honest with you i've seen a lot better. The hype surrounding the fighters and the fight had the world watching. The two of them went at it no doubt, and the early finish makes it exciting, but if the same fight had been two relatively unknown fighters you wouldn't hear about it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight??? Empty Re: Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight???

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 26 May 2011, 12:55 pm

Shrewd question and I'm not so sure. First round one of the greatest in boxing history. Thereafter, the fight was an increasingly one-way procession. Not in my top 3 fights for the decade, which read: 1) Pryor-Arguello I; 2) Bassa-McAuley I; 3) Leonard-Hearns I.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 26 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Very true: great first round, but after that it's not very interesting.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:02 pm

Does one round make a fight....That's the call really.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 26 May 2011, 1:07 pm

Quite often the context magnifies the fight and I would say Hearns v Hagler was an example of this. Quite often these huge superfights dont quite live up to the billing but this was not the case with The War as it was a thrill a minute and gret while it lasted.

Were there better fights in the 80s overall? Yes I think almost certainly but few carried the weight that this one did so I think The War earns its spot.

I would list others as better or equal overall but none of wich I believe dad the same sort of build up or significance. Off the top of my head:

Arguello v Pryor, Battle of the Champions
Limon v Chacon
Saad Muhammad v Lopez x 2 - but especially the rematch
Qawi v Holyfield
Chacon v Edwards
Chavez v Laporte

There are many others I am sure but those instantly spring to mind as great fights that had longetivity and back and forth.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:08 pm

Fair enough..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 1:11 pm

PM in your ' inbox, Truss. '

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:15 pm

So used to writing them in caps on the old forum I sometimes forget windy...

I'll endeavour to follow the rules in future ...an oversight

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 1:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So used to writing them in caps on the old forum I sometimes forget windy...

I'll endeavour to follow the rules in future ...an oversight

Thanks, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 May 2011, 1:29 pm

I was watching Thrilla in Manilla yesterday. Now that was a fight. Extreme bravery by both guys.

Whilst I enjoyed watching the H/H fight and R1 remains special, I believe the MAB/MoraLEZ 1 WAS BETTER AS YOU DIDN'T KNOW WHICH WAY IT WAS GOING TO GO (ROBERY ANYWAY) AND AT SOME STAGE mORALEZ LOOKED AS IF HE WAS GOING OUT UNTIL HE FOUND THE RESILIANCE TO FIRE BACK WITH HURTFUL PUNCHES.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 May 2011, 1:29 pm

Sorry abou the aps. Couldn't be bothered to edit it again.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 26 May 2011, 1:35 pm

I'd say definitely overrated for those who capture it in the top 5 fights of all time, I'd say Hamed v Kelley was as good as IMO as sheer excitement.

In terms of other great fights I feel Clay v Liston is possibly the most overrated fight in history, I guess it only become a "classic" because it gives everyone an excuse to worship at the shrine of the youthful and handsome Cassius Clay.
And Liston's enigmatic personality adds even more interest.

But, it was really an uneventful six rounds, with a farcical ending IMo.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Thu 26 May 2011, 1:41 pm

Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight???

I paid good money to see 45 rounds of the noble art of scientific boxing and it was over before it had started.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 1:45 pm

Jimmy Stuart wrote:Was Hagler vs Hearns a great fight???

I paid good money to see 45 rounds of the noble art of scientific boxing and it was over before it had started.

You were spoiled by the Sullivan Kilrain mill Jimmy, need to accept not every fight will be a 75 round epic Jimmy and get with the times.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:48 pm

Jimmy got dreadful sunburn that day that's why he doesn't talk about it....

75 rounds and you're forgetting the six fight undercard Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Thu 26 May 2011, 1:53 pm

Ha cheers Truss, Jeff.

Unfortunately being a northerner couldn't afford the luxurious sun shielding umbrellas, Windy brought along those days to watch the action.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:56 pm

Windy used to shade himself by wearing Ladies clothing I heard...

Still think it was him who shouted "Hit him in the slats Bob" Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 1:56 pm

Jimmy Stuart wrote:Ha cheers Truss, Jeff.

Unfortunately being a northerner couldn't afford the luxurious sun shielding umbrellas, Windy brought along those days to watch the action.

Couldn't do without them, Jimmy. Sensitive skin in those days.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 1:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Windy used to shade himself by wearing Ladies clothing I heard...

Still think it was him who shouted "Hit him in the slats Bob" Wink

Ha !

If the cap Fitz, Truss.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Thu 26 May 2011, 2:01 pm

Still think it was him who shouted "Hit him in the slats Bob"

Ha, I thought that was the fight Windy didn't make due to other commitments.

His surprise 50th birthday party.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 2:07 pm

Jimmy Stuart wrote:Still think it was him who shouted "Hit him in the slats Bob"

Ha, I thought that was the fight Windy didn't make due to other commitments.

His surprise 50th birthday party.

Arrived just in time for the kayo. In my nice pink dress, of course.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 2:09 pm

Pity there was nobody there to see it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Thu 26 May 2011, 2:12 pm

Pity there was nobody there to see it..

Jeff was in his pushchair.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 2:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Pity there was nobody there to see it..

Considering all the bad feeling during the build up, the fight didn't really draw flies did it, Truss ? Maybe folks expected a mismatch.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 2:23 pm

Mckinley was President (I think or maybe Cleveland) then and America was in the grip of religious republicanism we weren't ready for Julian Clary types!!!....My guess is seeing you in that dress caused a mass exodus of disgusted fans, Corbett lost his support and his impetus and you cost him the fight....

Starting to hate you Windy!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 2:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mckinley was President (I think or maybe Cleveland) then and America was in the grip of religious republicanism we weren't ready for Julian Clary types!!!....My guess is seeing you in that dress caused a mass exodus of disgusted fans, Corbett lost his support and his impetus and you cost him the fight....

Starting to hate you Windy!!!!!

Sure you're not going to blame me for McKinley's assassination, while you're at it ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 2:31 pm

No.... although the more liberal fans in Carson said that Pink is definitely your color big boy boxing

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 2:36 pm

Still have a fondness for it, Truss. Very Happy

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 2:39 pm

At the risk of being history geek, at the time pink was not seen as a feminine colour. Fitzsimmons regularly fought in pink britches, and I for one would not question Ruby's Robs sexuality or masculinity.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 2:41 pm

rowley wrote:At the risk of being history geek, at the time pink was not seen as a feminine colour. Fitzsimmons regularly fought in pink britches, and I for one would not question Ruby's Robs sexuality or masculinity.

And so, M'Lud, the defence moves for a dismissal.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 2:42 pm

First Oscar Wilde-type eloquent reviews...and now a fountain of knowledge of the color Pink....

You certainly are welcome in the Blue Oyster Rowley..

Consider yourself already an honorary member!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 2:43 pm

Going to have to get rid of the Judy Garland Cd out of the car Truss, the net is definitely closing in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 2:48 pm

If you only had a heart Rowley...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2011, 3:03 pm

Red (and variations of it) were originally thought of as masculine due to the red robes worn by Cardinal Priests. Blue was seen a the colour of feminity due to the connection with the Virgin Mary....course, we've all seen that episode of QI so this shouldn't be news to any of us!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 3:05 pm

which episode of Quincy was it again ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 26 May 2011, 3:30 pm

Good point Truss. It was an exciting fight while it lasted, but to me 3 rounds doesn't make a great fight. As a career welter with a suspect chin hearns was always playing a risky game by going toe to toe with a natural 160lber in hagler - a guy who was pretty much un-knockoutable. To me it's a great ten minutes of action, a great fight to show a person to entice them to follow the sport, but not a great fight in the overall scheme of things. Doesn't make my top 10 which would be something like:

Leonard Hearns 1
Ali Frazier III
Barrera Morales 1
Leonard Duran 1
Benn MecLellan
Holmes Norton
Bowe Holyfield 1
Gatti Ward 1
Ali Foreman
Pryor Arguello 1

Last edited by Sugar Boy Sweetie on Thu 26 May 2011, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sheer stupidity.)
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 May 2011, 3:54 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Good point Truss. It was an exciting fight while it lasted, but to me 3 rounds doesn't make a great fight. As a career welter with a suspect chin hearns was always playing a risky game by going toe to toe with a natural 160lber in hagler - a guy who was pretty much un-knockoutable. To me it's a great ten minutes of action, a great fight to show a person to entice them to follow the sport, but not a great fight in the overall scheme of things. Doesn't make my top 10 which would be something like:

Leonard Hearns 1
Ali Frazier III
Barrera Morales 1
Leonard Duran 1
Benn MecLellan
Holmes Norton
Bowe Holyfield 1
Gatti Ward 1
Ali Foreman
Pryor Arguello 1

I watched that ight again last night. I dont think Hearns had any choice but to go toe to toe. Hagler just didn't let up.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 3:57 pm

Not sure I agree Spinks smothered holmes in the 2nd fight..when he charged out

Would have been hard but could have tried to spoil more.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 May 2011, 4:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure I agree Spinks smothered holmes in the 2nd fight..when he charged out

Would have been hard but could have tried to spoil more.

And Holmes threw his away like an uppity child.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 4:03 pm

You've lost me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 May 2011, 5:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You've lost me..

He came rushing out to Holmes at the first bell and Lars just pushed him away. After that he deployed his hit and run tactic and won a ridiculous decision. It wasn't even close. I suppose Holmes saying what he did cost him in their first fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2011, 10:42 pm

Hamed Kelley was a great fight.

Was on the edge of my seat watching that. Although I never thought Naz was really hurt, it was epic to watch with Kelley landing so many shots!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down