The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales are just as good as the AB's....honest

+27
aucklandlaurie
majesticimperialman
The Saint
Taylorman
Breadvan
dummy_half
wrfc1980
TightHEAD
SecretFly
R!skysports
MMaaxx
rainbow-warrior
Cyril
GunsGerms
disneychilly
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
alive555
HammerofThunor
Geordie
offload
lostinwales
kingraf
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
RichardPierce
Sgt_Pooly
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wales are just as good as the AB's....honest Empty Wales are just as good as the AB's....honest

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-vs-new-zealand-head-to-heads-8142909

Fantastic piece summarising head to heads for the match at the weekend. Here's some of the best:

Leigh Halfpenny 8 v Ben Smith 9

Lions and Wales maestro Halfpenny is a controversial selection ahead of the in-form Liam Williams at full-back following an injury-hit year but his quality was clear to see before he was forced off against Australia. Smith switches from wing to his Super 15 position and he is a dynamite attacker who could cause Gatland’s side problems

Alex Cuthbert 8 v Julian Savea 9

Two of the hottest try machines in world rugby with Cuthbert having crossed the whitewash in four consecutive Tests to take his haul to 14 in 28 appearances. The Jonah Lomu-like Savea has scored an incredible 29 in 32 outings.

Jonathan Davies 8 v Conrad Smith 8

It’s a major ask for Davies to be on the pace following a season curtailed by foot and shoulder muscle injuries but he’s a quality player who is also adept at the breakdown. He’s up against the ‘Snake’, who doesn’t always get the plaudits he deserves and is the glue in the New Zealand midfield.

George North 8 v Charles Piutau 7

Piutau is one of the most promising players in New Zealand rugby and is the latest model from the golden crop of 2011 who ran away with the under-20 Junior World Championship. But can he stand up physically to the power and pace of Wales strongman North?

Jamie Roberts 8 v Sonny Bill Williams 8

Lion king Roberts had the better of the dual code star and part-time boxer when Cardiff Blues humbled big-spending Toulon in the final of the Amlin Challenge Cup a few years ago and it’s essential he keeps the master off-loader in check again.

Dan Biggar 7 v Beauden Barrett 7

Biggar has recovered from the groin pull that curtailed his appearance against the Wallabies but concerns over whether he could goal-kick without pain meant Halfpenny had to start. Barrett is another relative newcomer to the international arena and Wales will be looking to expose his suspect defence.

Rhys Webb 7 v Aaron Smith 8

The likeable Webb has certainly talked the talk by claiming the All Blacks are there for the taking but he will have a lot on his plate on Saturday evening against a scrum-half opponent who is clever, has the ability to increase the tempo and the vision to spot openings.

Paul James 7 v Owen Franks 7

James got the nod at loose-head prop ahead of four-time Six Nations winner Gethin Jenkins for the 33-28 defeat to the Aussies and the latter’s latest injury, a hamstring strain, sees him going head-to-head with New Zealand tight-head Franks as both sides looking to gain an advantage at the scrum.

Richard Hibbard 8 v Dane Coles 7

Hard man Hibbard was back to his best against Australia and put his body on the line with his trademark thumping hits. He incurred the wrath of Warren Gatland after making a controversial cameo appearance as a substitute for Gloucester last Friday and will want to prove a point against up-and-comer Coles.

Samson Lee 7 v Wyatt Crockett 7

If Crockett had lived in America’s Wild West during the cowboy days there’s no doubt, with his name, he would have been a gun-fighter. He’ll be looking to shoot down Test rookie Lee but the 21-year-old Welshman has already proved he doesn’t care a hoot about reputations.

Jake Ball 7 v Brodie Retallick 7

Along with Piutau and Barrett, lock Retallick was a member of the glittering 2011 under-20 class which destroyed their Welsh counterparts 92-0 during a Rovigo rout. Wales star Ball is the same age, 23, and has the mind-set to get stuck into the Kiwis.

Alun Wyn Jones 9 v Sam Whitelock 8

Wales lock Jones would walk into most international teams in the world with his inspirational play and leadership qualities. Whitelock is another proven leader and their duel at the line-out could prove crucial to determining Welsh prospects.

Dan Lydiate 7 v Jerome Kaino 7

Ospreys-bound Lydiate has had a weight lifted off his mind with the way being cleared for him to sign one of the new dual contracts being brought into Welsh rugby, but he will need to be at his chop-tackling best and use his physique to get the better of the skilled Kaino.

Sam Warburton 8 v Richie McCaw 8

The two captains go head-to-head in the battle of the breakdown, with McCaw sure to come under scrutiny for the legality of his methods. Warburton was top-notch against Australia but what can you say about McCaw? It’s his 100th Test as captain and he’s perhaps the greatest player of all-time.

Taulupe Faletau 8 v Kieran Read 9

Faletau has made a quiet start to the autumn campaign but has had a habit in the past of producing his best against the sport’s biggest names. IRB player of the year Read is certainly one of those and the real Faletau will need to be at his best.

Mental.....

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Wales are just as good as the AB's....honest Empty Re: Wales are just as good as the AB's....honest

Post by RichardPierce Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:36 am

No, I think wales will win this weekend.

Based on a number of factors:

NZ have made a number of late escapes, nine lives up?
The annual poor showing in the final AI
More team rotation than ever before
Selection based on evaluation rather than form
Having targeted the England game as the "must win"
No longer needing the preserve the unbeaten run
Emotion over Richie McCaw's 100th outweighing precision
Wayne Barnes and millennium stadium

RichardPierce

Back to top Go down

Wales are just as good as the AB's....honest Empty Re: Wales are just as good as the AB's....honest

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:44 am

OK
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 am

My favourite has to be the Retallick/Ball match up

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardPierce Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:50 am

Warburton 8 - 8 McCaw

Interesting. And people say the welsh have no sense of humour.

Last edited by RichardPierce on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

RichardPierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:50 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:My favourite has to be the Retallick/Ball match up

I have a few.

This one takes the cake though. Alun Wyn Jones 9 v Sam Whitelock 8
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:52 am

Yea that one is a cracker too, there's just too many to choose from to be fair.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 am

Even as the most passionate and loyal of Welsh fans the only one I would say is remotely near is Roberts v SBW.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:57 am

I like how the fact that Savea has over double check the tries, in only a fraction more time means that he's only slightly better than Cuthbert
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:57 am

Well, we should give credit to him for having the guts to open himself up to ridicule like this
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am

I'll stick them all up, it's a great read.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:01 am

How can they say McCaw is probably the greatest player of all time yet marks Warburton the same, does that mean that Warburton is one of the greatest players of all time to Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 am

To be fair Lydiate is possibly better than kaino at chop tackles (its just everything else)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:03 am

Just when you think the Western Fail has reached the pinnacle of comedy, this. They really are at the cutting edge of humour.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:04 am

Bilts

Thats the one i was looking at.

I just aint a fan of Wyn Jones anyway dont see what every one raves on about him for...but that match up is comical.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Bilts

Thats the one i was looking at.

I just aint a fan of Wyn Jones anyway dont see what every one raves on about him for...but that match up is comical.....

I was going to suggest that the Author is being optimistic, but then when I think about it ....... Nah, just can't say it. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:08 am

I just want to check that everyone is aware that the job of media is not to inform or make sensible comments. It's to increase traffic to sell advertising. Open himself to ridicule is exactly what he's done. Although, even when done 'right' these sorts of things are nonsense. As though you can rate any individual part of the team properly when each is dependent on the others.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:28 am

This is a bit more like it -

Leigh Halfpenny 7 v Ben Smith 9
Alex Cuthbert 7 v Julian Savea 10
Jonathan Davies 6 v Conrad Smith 9
George North 8 v Charles Piutau 9
Jamie Roberts 7 v Sonny Bill Williams 9
Dan Biggar 6 v Beauden Barrett 8
Rhys Webb 7 v Aaron Smith 9
Paul James 6 v Owen Franks 9
Richard Hibbard 7 v Dane Coles 8
Samson Lee 6 v Wyatt Crockett 8
Jake Ball 6 v Brodie Retallick 10
Alun Wyn Jones 8 v Sam Whitelock 10
Dan Lydiate 7 v Jerome Kaino 10
Sam Warburton 7 v Richie McCaw 11
Taulupe Faletau 7 v Kieran Read 10

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:51 am

This happens all the time, they try and hype up Wales before these big games to gain public interest, but the fact is, those NZ players are underrated and the Welsh players are overrated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:08 am

This has really made me smile, thanks for sharing.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:08 am

IronMike wrote:This happens all the time, they try and hype up Wales before these big games to gain public interest, but the fact is, those NZ players are underrated and the Welsh players are overrated.

It also means they have further to fall if they lose.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:25 am

Great read for a Friday. The consistency in markings the ABs alone is mind blowing. 

Ben Smith is a 9.  
Richie McCaw is an 8. 

How the hell does that work? What more can McCaw do? Sure, he's older, but he's still the king of openside play! I'd hate to see what a 10-rated open side would look like. Though according to Wales Online, that would probably be Martyn Williams.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:25 am

Read that yesterday. The lock match ups were the biggest ones for me.

Test rugby's a game of inches anyway. NZ aren't that much far ahead of the others, they're just a little bit in front, ALL of the time i.e. way more consistent. To do that they have more ways of hurting you than any other team. Wales will have their moments in the test, it's what they do with it that counts. RP's reasoning why Wales is cute, but it's a double edged sword. Every great team/player has a nadir, everyone knows that this team and McCaw's was there in 07. But they're stronger, and frankly better than then and have gone on to become currently the best team in sport. You don't get there without mental strength, and if I were Welsh I wouldn't want to enter the practice of raising demons because the number of Welsh ghosts far outweighs the number of Kiwi ghosts.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:38 am

NZ has beaten wales by an average of 20 points in last 6 meetings since 2008, and never lost since 1953. expect more of same tommorrow. laughing

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:49 am

Biltong wrote:

I have a few.

That was one of the less outrageous ones IMO. Wyn Jones is a class act and has been for some time. I would almost go along with that one. Maybe 8 each. Warburton isnt in the same league as McCaw nor is Ball with Retallick and quite a few others.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:52 am

alive555 wrote:NZ has beaten wales by an average of 20 points in last 6 meetings since 2008, and never lost since 1953. expect more of same tommorrow. laughing

I actually think it will be more like the England and Scotland games, close for a lot of the game, Wales maybe in front for a bit, not too much in it on the scoreboard... But NZ coming away with a victory as they always do.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Biltong wrote:

I have a few.

That was one of the less outrageous ones IMO. Wyn Jones is a class act and has been for some time. I would almost go along with that one. Maybe 8 each. Warburton isnt in the same league as McCaw nor is Ball with Retallick and quite a few others.

Watch Whitelock tomorrow, then we will do this comparison again. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:I actually think it will be more like the England and Scotland games, close for a lot of the game, Wales maybe in front for a bit, not too much in it on the scoreboard... But NZ coming away with a victory as they always do.
Or it could be just like last year's England/Scotland game at Murrayfield (0-20). The last couple of England/Scotland games weren't close at all.

The parallels with the shocking pitch stand too.

Last edited by Cyril on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 am

Lydiate and Kaino is another howler for me. 

I agree with a 7 for Lydiate as he's an industrious defender, but Kaino is such a great all-round blindside he deserves an 8 or 9 in my eyes. His carrying is miles above Lydiate's.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am

The IRB rankings are out of whack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:00 am

Whitelock and Retallick are the best two locks in the world right now for me, AWJ isn't even top 5 imo.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:00 am

Some total crap spouted by NZ and A Africa as usual, but to be expected with spattrings of English nonsense. A great BIG yawn fest.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:00 am

ebop wrote:The IRB rankings are out of whack.

Don't pay attention to it, I don't
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:01 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:Some total crap spouted by NZ and A Africa as usual, but to be expected with spattrings of English nonsense.  A great BIG yawn fest.

It's a Welsh article....

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02 am

Biltong wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Biltong wrote:

I have a few.

Watch Whitelock tomorrow, then we will do this comparison again. Wink

Grand as long as you watch AWJ. Deal?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 am

I have said many times on here that AWJ is one of the most overrated players around. Not top 5 in the world to me.

It is interesting how the NH press underrate the NZ locks. I read a similar article in the Telegraph before the England match and both English locks were rated higher then their NZ counterparts.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:04 am

I doubt many English fans would rate them higher MMaaxx.

I'd put Launchbury on a similar level to AWJ though, both good players but not at the top level.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:05 am

MMaaxx wrote:I have said many times on here that AWJ is one of the most overrated players around. Not top 5 in the world to me.

It is interesting how the NH press underrate the NZ locks. I read a similar article in the Telegraph before the England match and both English locks were rated higher then their NZ counterparts.

I think that is more of a case of the English locks being overrated. Everything English is overrated in the English press.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:06 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:Some total crap spouted by NZ and A Africa as usual, but to be expected with spattrings of English nonsense.  A great BIG yawn fest.

It's a Welsh article....

The responses are not but what the hell it's an expected response in this hole.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 am

I guess but the rest of the rankings in the telegraph were pretty good. It is expected that they would underrate SH props but the rating for the locks were way off.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 am

GunsGerms wrote:Everything English is overrated in the English press.
All national media overrate their own.

Irish hyperbole is currently in overdrive.

Anybody would think they had won the World Cup this Autumn.

Strange how it works, isn't it?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 am

Cuthbert 8
Savea 9

You honestly think anybody thinks it's this close between them?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

It's a Welsh article....

The responses are not but what the hell it's an expected response in this hole.
You live in a hole?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 am

Well that made Friday a bit more fun lol

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:11 am

Biltong wrote:
ebop wrote:The IRB rankings are out of whack.

Don't pay attention to it, I don't

My tongue hurts Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 am

I also agree on North being better than his opposite number. Hope he makes a backpack out of him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 am

Cyril wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:I actually think it will be more like the England and Scotland games, close for a lot of the game, Wales maybe in front for a bit, not too much in it on the scoreboard... But NZ coming away with a victory as they always do.
Or it could be just like last year's England/Scotland game at Murrayfield (0-20). The last couple of England/Scotland games weren't close at all.

I meant more England vs NZ and Scotland vs NZ in the last couple of weeks.

Although I agree, the pitch will be awful.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:
Cyril wrote:

I meant more England vs NZ and Scotland vs NZ in the last couple of weeks.

Although I agree, the pitch will be awful.
Ah, fair enough Smile

Hopefully the pitch will be sorted one day.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 am

Oh I geddih!  You just put numbers in front of players you like and numbers in front of players you wished you didn't have to dislike (think aboout it) and Bob's the Uncle, you have a natural winning formula.

It's simple.  Why didn't Einstein think of that when he was inventing the wheel??   He did invent the wheel didn't he?  Oh I don't know, me Geography is terrible.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:27 am

Did the WRU buy the pitch at Splott market for a knock down price?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next