The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales: The good and bad

+17
sugarNspikes
maestegmafia
welshy6
Liam
gavstar
Pal Joey
doctor_grey
gowales
TycroesOsprey
wales606
dogtooth
offload
Hood83
Biltong
Coleman
thebluesmancometh
welliamwibb
21 posters

Go down

Wales: The good and bad Empty Wales: The good and bad

Post by welliamwibb Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

Silly errors while in an attacking position cost Wales countless try scoring opportunites.
Australia did not make the same mistake.

Wales seriously need to work on their handling errors and nullifying the Oz counter ruck. There was very little (if any) counter rucking from Wales.

Missed tackles: Worst I've seen in a long time Wales are not marking man for man or reading anything Australia are doing.

Too many pointless kicks from Priestland, gifting them possession. Tactical kicking only came good in the 2nd half.

I really hope North is OK. Beck needs to start at 12 we need some deft touches and angles run like Australia did. Phillips really needs to get the ball out quicker he is no better than he was before.

Ryan Jone and AWJ at lock next week unless Ian Evans is ready.

Superb: Lydiate, Halfpenny, North till he went off.
Good: Phillips, Cutbert, Scott Williams till he went off.

Poor: Priestland, Bradley Davies, Faletau, Hook.

Damn Ian Evans for getting married!!!

welliamwibb

http://www.rfu.com

Back to top Go down

Wales: The good and bad Empty Re: Wales: The good and bad

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

Hooks kicking out of hand was actually really good, but at 15 I wince every time someone makes a half break!!!

When phillips stops kicking we go well!!!

I'd have to say though unless we put pressure on them at the breakdown we stand no chance at all. If Genia gets that platform again it's game over!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

I fully expect Shawn Edwards to be arrested for assault after some of that defending. Guy is going to ballistic! Would hate to be James Hook right now.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by welliamwibb Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

Phillips quick tap and kick into their 22 was a good move though.

All we have to do is keep the ball in their 22.

Wales lost for 2 reasons.

1. Everytime we had a chance we made a mistake.
2. We just watched Genia instead of tackling him.

welliamwibb

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:04 pm

Well I thought it was a good game, I can't say there were really poor or weak links in the Welsh team, It is difficult to defend against Australia, the only blatat mistake I can remember was Priestland dropping a ball when Wales had a huge overlap.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by welliamwibb Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:04 pm

Coleman wrote:I fully expect Shawn Edwards to be arrested for assault after some of that defending. Guy is going to ballistic! Would hate to be James Hook right now.

Have to admit though that nobody would have tackled that sidestep, it defied physics!

welliamwibb

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

1/2p doesn't miss tackles, he backs his pace, stays calm and is efficient!

Hook is bedazzled crossing the road!!

If North is out we need to bring Williams in at FB!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by welliamwibb Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

biltongbek wrote:Well I thought it was a good game, I can't say there were really poor or weak links in the Welsh team, It is difficult to defend against Australia, the only blatat mistake I can remember was Priestland dropping a ball when Wales had a huge overlap.

That was the game set and match right there. It was worse than shocking.

If I was a coach I would definitely make an example of that. Priestland has had more lives than a cat. He keeps making errors and given more "time" and "chances".

He blew the easiest chance to grab a famous win and he screwed it up. He must be replaced until he earns anotehr chance. At the moment he is not earning the right to retain his place at 10.

I don't have much faith in Hook, but our other potential stars (Biggar and Tovey) are unfortunately in Wales.

welliamwibb

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

welliamwibb wrote:
Coleman wrote:I fully expect Shawn Edwards to be arrested for assault after some of that defending. Guy is going to ballistic! Would hate to be James Hook right now.

Have to admit though that nobody would have tackled that sidestep, it defied physics!

Genia is class. But a player of Hooks experience shouldn’t be getting caught flat footed. I'd have been happier if he'd have dived the wrong way, he refused to make a decision and Genia destroyed him for it.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

Someone needed to scrag Genia. He's very good at making a bit of space and popping a late pass. It sort of scrambles their attacking back-line but in a way that confuses defenders.

I think someone needs to stick one on him very early next game. If it's a little late, meh so be it. But he needs to feel like someone is going to be on him for for the full 80. Ireland's success in the WC was partly based on giving him no time, ditto England's the few times we've beaten them recently. I think someone in the Welsh coaching set-up got that very wrong.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

Hood83 wrote: I think someone needs to stick one on him very early next game.

I recon it'll be Shawn Edwards!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:12 pm

The pack came second today. It doesn't matter who we play at centre and fullback we won't win until we sort out the breakdown and the forwards are on the front foot. Half the pack were AWOL in the first half.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:12 pm

Hood83

Nice analysis from a neutral!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:15 pm

I can't believe people are giving out at Priestland for that dropped pass. If it's the one I'm thinking off, the pass itself was utterly shocking, he'd ahve done very well to have even caught it!

Defense and breakdown needs to improve big style, and we need to play well for more than 20 mins of a match.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

dreamer

The one above his head to his left, it was a poor pass but he puts 2 hands on it and is clearly watching the defence (or lack of) Every international player should feel embarrassed to have dropped that!

Between him and Hook we have a real weakness in the half back department, combined with Phillips slow tedious innacurate pass/kicking it compounds the problem!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

wales looked naive on times. bad result but there is evidence wales can do better. they could improve over this series.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:44 pm

Harsh on Bradley Davies - Charteris was a lot worse. Davies put in a good first half, faded a bit in the second.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:1/2p doesn't miss tackles, he backs his pace, stays calm and is efficient!

Hook is bedazzled crossing the road!!

If North is out we need to bring Williams in at FB!!

Halfpenny would have made that tackle 9 times out of 10. Hook makes it about 1/10.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I can't believe people are giving out at Priestland for that dropped pass. If it's the one I'm thinking off, the pass itself was utterly shocking, he'd ahve done very well to have even caught it!

Defense and breakdown needs to improve big style, and we need to play well for more than 20 mins of a match.

The pass was a miss to JD, Priestland shouldnt have even touched it let alone knocked it on. Utter lack of composure. Had he left it alone Halfpenhy would have been in on the left and we would have gone into the lead. In the first half with quick ball produced and the tryline begging again he loses composure and knocks the ball on. Thats quite apart from his aimless kicking.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

Not sure about 9/10 wales, but I'd back him to make it more often than not!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:08 pm

Bad selections.

Picking 4 players lacking match fitness against the quickest team in the world! Madness.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

4? Is that all? I thought that there were about 6/7 players who hadn't played for months. It showed first half though, they were very out of sorts and lacked that sharpness!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Did you see the All Blacks this morning?
They looked like thy were playing at a speed which no one could touch. Faster than the Wallabies. Faster than almost anything.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

The Allblacks are quicker runners that's for sure!
But the Aussie passing game and overall game speed is the quickest i think.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm

I still reckon the ABs would have punished our mistakes and capitalised on our missed chances if we had played against their side tonight.

We still have a few weaknesses which you can't afford to have at the very top level. Harsh but true...

One thing is for sure, Wales will not go into their shell. I expect them to throw more at us next time and if the Wallabies can't match the intensity again and give back some more; then it will be 1-1 going into the final match of the Series.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

hook should not be 15. total indecision ( whats new) at 15 costs tries.
1/2p should have stayed at 15. even if he had missed the tackle he would not have looked like bambi.

priestland and hook were weak today. hook may be doing ok in perps. but the level and speed of his game has gone backwards.

are our players threatened with humiliation after the game if they kick for touch so we at least can gain some momentum and field position, regroup?

they were waiting for north, predictable, again, creativity nil.howley needs to bring something different to the table or go.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

Clinical. That is how you win games and Australia were exactly that today. Wales weren't at the races first half and were very poor at the breakdown. They allowed Genia to run with ball in hand and when you do that your asking for trouble.

I thought the lack of match fitness really told in the first half, with JD2, Williams, Charteris etc all very poor. Lydiate was fantastic as usual chopping down everything that moved around him. Warbs did well considering he hasn't played for a long while.

When Wales were attacking they were so slow, everything lacked a bit of bite to it. The only bite there was North, who I think would have been a hell of a wepon towards the end just like Cuthbert was. We desperately need him fit next week to stand a chance.

The kicking game was poor on too many occasions, kicking it too far and if you do that against this Aussie side your asking for trouble. Beck did ok when he came on and should start next weekend.

There's allot of positives to take out of the game. Many of the players got some much needed match practice and the facts is we came from 20-3 down to 20-19 and if we had taken our chances we would have won this game. Allot of hard work will go into this week. Particularly in defence, because organisation wise it was appalling, like Roberts said there were players doing one thing and others doing another, that can't happen. Its not great to lose the first test but the signs are there that Wales can win next week. If they are more clinical and don't miss as many tackles I am confident we can win, particularly if North is fit. I would also bring Hook in at 10.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

positives though, cuthbert again stepped up to the mark, outpacing some pretty quick aussies,
lydiate, as always good.
subs had a good impact when they came on
halfpenny is a quality player and kicker.
Hook out of hand kicks werent that bad.

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

Well said Martyr

Always be positive. I don't think that Aussie team have another gear, Wales are a better team than they showed today..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I don't think that Aussie team have another gear
I think you may get a nasty shock there.

maestegmafia wrote:Wales are a better team than they showed today..!
True, they weren't great, but see above OK

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:44 pm

Agreed with most of the article. If it weren't for their inexperience I'd be tempted of throwing in an all new halfback pairing of Webb and Biggar for the quicker service alone. If Phillips didn't make up in strength and physicality that which he lacks in speed he'd be considered a poor SH.

The breakdown needs to be improved by a lot next test and the Australian service disrupted/slowed down as much as possible. We failed to really impose ourselves in Brisbane, while Genia was thriving off the platform provided by his forwards and the rest of the backline was effectively thriving off the service of Genia. He looked something akin to a modern day Gareth Edwards!

More importantly the missed tackles need to be cut out and the first-up tackling improved. I felt we were outmuscled as well as outplayed, this absolutely has to change. The least we could do is impose a thick, defiant defensive line as the Scots did on Tuesday. The crucial flaw was that too many of the tackles we put in were half-tackles, allowing for quick offloading and recycling on the Wallaby side. If that happens again we'll be lucky not to get cut to pieces next Saturday.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

Wales were slow to move the ball when they needed quick ball. That changed in the third quarter and we looked far more potent.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

Yes maesteg... and we had quick clean ball which surprised me a bit... but all too often fluffed it or turned it over again after all the good lead-up work.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by welliamwibb Sat 09 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

Does Duncan ever go back to Glyncorrwg?

welliamwibb

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

biltongbek wrote:Well I thought it was a good game, I can't say there were really poor or weak links in the Welsh team, It is difficult to defend against Australia, the only blatat mistake I can remember was Priestland dropping a ball when Wales had a huge overlap.

Twice steam

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

Another unsung positive in my eyes was Gethin Jenkins. Absolutely phenomenal for a prop, manages to have a great brain on him and high work rate.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Yes maesteg... and we had quick clean ball which surprised me a bit... but all too often fluffed it or turned it over again after all the good lead-up work.

I thought the direct running centres for Australia were superb, McCabes try was what every school teacher should be showing his backline stars... Genia was sublime all match.

Wales need to bring much more ferocity to the backrow play at the breakdown, get their timing right in the scrum and be more patient at halfback.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm

welliamwibb wrote:Does Duncan ever go back to Glyncorrwg?

Duncan Jones ?

No he is from Blaengwynfi

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:51 pm

Looseheaded wrote:Another unsung positive in my eyes was Gethin Jenkins. Absolutely phenomenal for a prop, manages to have a great brain on him and high work rate.

The man is a legend...

I thought the front row, bar the early shove penalties conceded were great, awesome defence, good set piece and great loose work. Luke Charteris was very off colour and Brad struggled to get into the game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:53 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I don't think that Aussie team have another gear
I think you may get a nasty shock there.

maestegmafia wrote:Wales are a better team than they showed today..!
True, they weren't great, but see above OK

This. Australia were still missing 3 of their most dangerous players..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:05 am

I have to say i thought Adam Jones was pretty rubbish in that game.

Edit: He scrummaged well as usual although nowhere as dominant as many were predicting, but because he is so fat and because the Aussies play such a quick game we were basically playing with 14 men for most of the game.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:35 am

As Roberts said , kicking away turnovers is unforgivable. Phillips and Preist need a rollicking for that. Aus were superb but I hate the way the breakdown is reffed. Players diving off their feet negated Warburton
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down